Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

Paul Kariya

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#1 cyduck

cyduck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

Im very sad to see Paul go the way he did. Where's the love sure he left after getting so close he deserves his number 9 in the rafters right next to teemu

#2 Sojourn

Sojourn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:11 AM

That's up to the team, and frankly I have my doubts they will. His departure left a sour taste in the mouths of many, and I really think there would be a portion that boo him. If everyone doesn't love seeing his number go up, then it probably doesn't deserve to.

Edited by Sojourn, 27 April 2012 - 01:12 AM.

#3 ayrton2388

ayrton2388

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:10 AM

If Kariya deserves his jersey retired, then so does Saku Koivu (by Montreal) and Ilya Kovalchuk (by ATL). But these three will never happen.

#4 cyduck

cyduck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

If Kariya deserves his jersey retired, then so does Saku Koivu (by Montreal) and Ilya Kovalchuk (by ATL). But these three will never happen.

I'm pretty sure Koivu will get his jersey retired. And by go I mean he retired because of his concussions

#5 ayrton2388

ayrton2388

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:30 AM

I have a great amount of respect for Saku. I love that guy. I do wanna see his jersey retired. I really do. But if it`s gonna be retired, it`s gonna be just because of the love they have for him. Not really for his outstanding play on the ice. I really, really like him. But you can`t say he was a phenomenal player....

#6 NewfieDuck

NewfieDuck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

Bad comparisons.. I don't see any similarity between the 3, in all honesty.

#7 ayrton2388

ayrton2388

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

Wasn`t saying they`re similar. They`re really not.

But. Both Kariya and Kovy got 400 goals. Most of them with one team. Solely based on this, i don`t think either of them deserve their jerseys retired. (in case of Kovalchuk, not yet, anyway. Let`s consider Kovy ends his career this year, for simplicity).

So... in my opinion,hypothetically speaking, if these 2 jerseys will be retired, it will be based on the love and appreciation of their fans only. Which brings us to Koivu. Most MTL fans ask for his jersey to be retired. They love him, no doubt.He was a great captain. But not an outstanding player, on the ice.

Kariya was great. For a few years. But if you ask any other fans, than the Ducks`, if his jersey should be retired, they will mostly say "no".

#8 Guest_KyleJanak_*

Guest_KyleJanak_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

Kariya is a great icon just like Selanne, he played great and not to mention Selanne they were like the top dogs for the Ducks. :)

Edited by KyleJanak, 28 April 2012 - 02:09 PM.

#9 ayrton2388

ayrton2388

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

You can`t really compare Kariya to Selanne, really. Yea, in `99, 2000, or so, you could threat them as equals. But now, in 2012, it`s clear Selanne will be honored and remembered as one of the hockey`s greatest.

At this very moment, would you retire Dany Heatley`s jersey? He`s just as good as Kariya. Of course you wouldn`t.

#10 Retire9

Retire9

Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

The only reason Kariyas number gets retired is if its for putting the team on the map when he got drafted. His numbers got cancelled out by his ugly departer.

#11 Kings_Attack

Kings_Attack

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

But. Both Kariya and Kovy got 400 goals. Most of them with one team. Solely based on this, i don`t think either of them deserve their jerseys retired. (in case of Kovalchuk, not yet, anyway. Let`s consider Kovy ends his career this year, for simplicity).

So... in my opinion,hypothetically speaking, if these 2 jerseys will be retired, it will be based on the love and appreciation of their fans only. Which brings us to Koivu. Most MTL fans ask for his jersey to be retired. They love him, no doubt.He was a great captain. But not an outstanding player, on the ice.

Kariya was great. For a few years. But if you ask any other fans, than the Ducks`, if his jersey should be retired, they will mostly say "no".

Do you think maybe MTL should unofficially retire Koivu's 11? Disgrace that they'd follow up Koivu's 11 with Scott Gomez.

#12 cyduck

cyduck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

A team can retire whatever number they want that doesn't mean everybody who watches hockey has to agree. But while he was here he put up amazing numbers and was a fan favorite before and after Selanne

#13 Freakle

Freakle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

as i stated a number of times, Kariya made this franchise.
without him, that little PR gag that was the mighty ducks of anaheim would have long died. He was the reason this franchise survived the rough beginning time.
IMO Without Kariya, there are no Ducks.
If somebody from this organisation deserves his jersey retired, it is definitely Kariya

#14 cyduck

cyduck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

without him, that little PR gag that was the mighty ducks of anaheim would have long died. He was the reason this franchise survived the rough beginning time.
If somebody from this organisation deserves his jersey retired, it is definitely Kariya

Finally somebody who understands!

#15 ThE_DaVe

ThE_DaVe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

I disagree.

The trade for Teemu is what made the franchise survive the rough beginning. To make an analogy PK is like Blake Griffin. In his first few seasons with the Clips he was a gem and star player but ultimately did little to actually get the team anywhere (yes I know they were awful teams but so were the Clips). Teemu would be the CP3 who instantly made the team and offense significantly better and gave them a sense of legitimacy.

Without Teemu there are no Ducks. He kept the fans around through PKs injures and contract hold out.

NO ONE is going up in the rafters before Teemu.

#16 Kanauhtli

Kanauhtli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

Quote from The Dave:

Without Teemu there are no Ducks. He[Teemu] kept the fans around through PKs injures and contract hold out.

If there is one consistent negative comment I have about Paul Kariya, it was that he was always asking for 3 year contracts that were of way too high of a salary. He never committed to the organization over the long haul. I agree that he did many things to bring awareness to the Ducks in those early years but I don't think it was solely him that kept the organization from folding. If you really think without Kariya there are no Ducks, then I disagree. Anaheim has been without Kariya since 2003, almost a decade. Since Kariya's departure from Anaheim, we've seen the team win a champion and missed the playoffs twice.

Kariya does not deserve to have his jersey retired because of his contract hold outs and more importantly the way he left. I'm not a resentful person and I wouldn't minimize his success here because he did do plenty for this organization. Players who deserve it wouldn't have a single questionable slight from fans or the organization and Kariya does. Selanne is going to have his number retired in Anaheim when he hangs them up, can you think of any reason why he shouldn't? If you can't it's because he's that important to the organization where he deserves it

#17 Freakle

Freakle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:24 AM

Quote from The Dave:

If there is one consistent negative comment I have about Paul Kariya, it was that he was always asking for 3 year contracts that were of way too high of a salary. He never committed to the organization over the long haul. I agree that he did many things to bring awareness to the Ducks in those early years but I don't think it was solely him that kept the organization from folding. If you really think without Kariya there are no Ducks, then I disagree. Anaheim has been without Kariya since 2003, almost a decade. Since Kariya's departure from Anaheim, we've seen the team win a champion and missed the playoffs twice.

Kariya does not deserve to have his jersey retired because of his contract hold outs and more importantly the way he left. I'm not a resentful person and I wouldn't minimize his success here because he did do plenty for this organization. Players who deserve it wouldn't have a single questionable slight from fans or the organization and Kariya does. Selanne is going to have his number retired in Anaheim when he hangs them up, can you think of any reason why he shouldn't? If you can't it's because he's that important to the organization where he deserves it

well of course the Ducks are doing fine without him after 2003. it is the rough years at the beginning i am talking about. Let's face it, this franchise was nothing more than a PR gag by Disney. A nice addition to the themepark behind the Pond.
Without Kariya, we would not have gotten Selanne for the long run.

As for that contract holdout: Selanne hasn't given the Ducks any hometown discount in his young years either. This was a crappy franchise, a team going nowhere and both of them stayed here for a long time. Hell Kariya stayed in Anaheim for most of his career.
Selanne gave the Ducks a discount, as soon as they were true cup contenders, after the lockout, under new management, and in the twilight of his career.
Before that, he did the same thing Kariya did (and bobby ryan did). he wanted a contract that he tought he deserves. And there is nothing wrong with that. those guys don't play for fun, they play because that's their job. OFC everybody looks out for his payday.

#18 NewfieDuck

NewfieDuck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:02 AM

Koivu should have his jersey retired, in my opinion. He was the heart and soul of that franchise.. While he may not have the skill set that Kariya or Kovalchuk had, he would be the first of the three that should be retired..

With Kariya, there are mixed opinions here, but I think if Kariya didn't have the departure that he did, I think his number would be retired (after Teemu). He really did put the Ducks on the map, though. Kariya was the reason I cheer for the Ducks, and despite screwing the Ducks over, is still one of my favorite players of all time. I hope someday the Ducks do retire his #9, but I don't think it will happen.

#19 AustinDuck27

AustinDuck27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,792 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

If management wanted to retire his number I don't think Bobby would be wearing #9. I'm not opposed to Kariya having his no. retired, but I think that decision has been made. My personal opinion is that Teemu and Giguere are locks, then there is a small group of "maybe" players with Kariya, S. Niedermayer, Salei, and maybe even Herbert.

As far as the Kariya debate, I would point out that he set many of the franchise records during the old Mighty Ducks era, but most of his records have been surpassed either by Teemu, or one of the current young stars. He was the young talented face of the franchise beyond Teemu, but on a team not committed to winning, he had little opportunity to show accomplishments beyond his own individual stats. So his franchise records standing up over time would be the biggest thing in his favor imo. Some argue Niedermayer accomplished more here in his short time, but he was clearly part of a team committed to winning, and one of the final pieces. My biggest knock on Kariya (aside from his sketchy departure), is that I never felt he carried the team on his back the way guys like Giguere, Niedermayer, or even currently the way Perry has at times.

If PK had stuck around, or came back the way Teemu did, and continued to see the team progress into a playoff team, he would have cemented his legacy and seen his jersey retired without question. Now I'd put him in the "maybe" group, leaning towards "close but no cigar".

#20 Kanauhtli

Kanauhtli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

well of course the Ducks are doing fine without him after 2003. it is the rough years at the beginning i am talking about. Let's face it, this franchise was nothing more than a PR gag by Disney. A nice addition to the themepark behind the Pond.
Without Kariya, we would not have gotten Selanne for the long run.

As for that contract holdout: Selanne hasn't given the Ducks any hometown discount in his young years either. This was a crappy franchise, a team going nowhere and both of them stayed here for a long time. Hell Kariya stayed in Anaheim for most of his career.
Selanne gave the Ducks a discount, as soon as they were true cup contenders, after the lockout, under new management, and in the twilight of his career.
Before that, he did the same thing Kariya did (and bobby ryan did). he wanted a contract that he tought he deserves. And there is nothing wrong with that. those guys don't play for fun, they play because that's their job. OFC everybody looks out for his payday.

You're right that it was seen as a gimmick and Paul coming out in the second movie didn't help ease that image of Anaheim. I don't agree with your premise that without Kariya, Selanne wouldn't have signed here. Primarily because Selanne was traded to Anaheim without Selanne's consent. Teemu expressed in interviews how he was sad after being traded but was happy to begin again so I don't see how Kariya played a role in bringing Selanne here.

Players in their prime don't give hometown discounts because they haven't established that much of a relationship with the organization. When I mentioned high salary and short years, I literally mean that he asked for more than what he was worth with a short term contract. When an organization tries to re-sign a player for more than what they're worth, the organization tries to sign them long-term to make the over payment a bargain at the end of the deal. Kariya wanted the contract to end quickly to get a higher salary and at times was a hold out which put the Ducks in a worst position. If an organization is going to give a player $10MM a year there must be some commitment for a longer period than 3 years.

I'm not trying to minimize his accomplishments because he did captain the Mighty Ducks to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2003 and had many individual accomplishments. Kariya did plenty of charity events in Anaheim that brought a lot of money and awareness to issues. He was the face of this franchise for many years and I will remember the good with the bad.

As far as Selanne giving a discount after the lockout, it mostly had to do with his bad knee and not many teams wanting to take a chance on him. Selanne signed a cap friendly deal with Anaheim because he liked it here. When Selanne's contract was up after winning the cup he signed a major discount because Anaheim was in cap hell due to the Bertuzzi and Schnieder contracts. In the last two years Selanne was given nicer contracts to make up for the hometown discounts that he took after the cup. I'm not against players receiving contracts that more than what they're worth. I believe every person should receive their monetary worth for their labor.

AnaheimDucks.com is the official Web site of the Anaheim Ducks. Anaheim Ducks and AnaheimDucks.com are trademarks of Anaheim Ducks Hockey Club, LLC. NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 Anaheim Ducks Hockey Club, LLC and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy     Contact Us    Jobs     Honda Center    Corporate Partnerships   Terms of Use   Site Map AdChoices