Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

Paul Kariya

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#41 squitman

squitman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

I believe that Selanne has undoubtably earned having his jersey retired first. As for others being considered for retirement, maybe he should honour them (like what the Leafs do) for players like Salei, Neidermayer, Gigure, and Kariya. The retired numbers could have a black background, while the honoured ones could have a white background (so we would which ones are which).

#42 ThE_DaVe

ThE_DaVe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:30 PM

Are you so sure about that? 85 and 76 points the first two years following the lockout in Nashville almost mirror Selannes numbers in his return to Anaheim. He may not have gotten a Cup like Teemu, but he was having just as much success on a lesser team.

A majority of the fanbase is always going to remember Teemu as the better player because he returned to Anaheim, won a cup here, broke records here, etc. But while Selanne is the ageless wonder, he never drew comparisons to Wayne Gretzky as a young Paul Kariya did. He, along with Jagr, Lindros, and a few other players, were the faces of the NHL from the mid to late 90s. Maybe this is pretty corny evidence, but this video embodies that.

I dont blame Kariya for some of these claims that he never carried the team on his back, or asked for too much money. He was playing for an organization that obviously was not committed to winning at the time, but despite that was producing impressive numbers on the ice where it mattered. Do you guys remember some of the clubs this team threw on the ice during Kariya's prime? After Selanne was traded, do you remember who the teams second best forward was? Jeff Friesen. If Brian Burke and the Samueli's had come along in 2002 instead of 2006, we might be seeing Paul set all these records alongside Teemu.

Kariya is never going to get the due with Ducks fans because of his departure, and its a damn shame because of what he meant to the franchise. I agree that his number wont get retired because of the bitterness that still exists among some (although it seems to have died down a bit the past few years), but regardless of that, nothing can change the fact that he was the FIRST Duck.

You do realize that Teemu is 5 years older than PK right? After the Lock out PK was in his prime and inspite of the numbers Teemu put up he wasnt in his prime. Teemu had his best season without PK, and prior to playing a minute with PK. PK didnt start putting up huge numbers until he started playing with Teemu. PK may have become as good or better than Teemu but we will never know since no one can undo the damage of the Suter hit.

Teemu was never compared to Gretzky since he was always compared to Kurri. One cause he was finish and two because his game mirrored Kurri more just like PK mirroed Gretzky more.

I dont blame Karyia for playing on crappy teams, Disney was the one of the worst owners in pro sports. I agree a change in ownership and not having one of the worst GMs in the league for most of his career in ANA would have probably kept PK around more than likely. I would argue that Rucchin was the 2nd best forward post-Teemu, Friesen was trash while in Anaheim.

I think PK gets most of the respect he deserves. He was the franchise's first draft pick and first great player. Anaheim is young franchise and in its short existence PK has been surpassed by at least 2 players already (Teemu and Jiggy). As time goes on even more players will surpass him, Getz and Perry are close IMO. My point is just because PK was the first doesnt mean his is an automatic. Retired numbers are for players who stuck with the franchise through thick and thin putting the franchise above themselves or in memorium of players like Salei who died in a tragedy or fighting an illness. PK, however, always put himself first and bolted the first chance he got. He was a great player but not an all time great even for the ducks therefore no jersey in the rafters IMO.

#43 Fowl

Fowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

Im very sad to see Paul go the way he did. Where's the love sure he left after getting so close he deserves his number 9 in the rafters right next to teemu

Personally, I hope that never happens. As a long time season ticket holder, his departure left a bad taste for many fans.

#44 janakkyle

janakkyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:09 AM

I don't understand why Paul Kariya doesn't get any credit he and Teemu were like the greatest ducks in duck history.

#45 Icefox

Icefox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:06 PM

I don't understand why Paul Kariya doesn't get any credit he and Teemu were like the greatest ducks in duck history.

Because unlike all of us who ALWAYS kept our promises... he broke a promise. That should be a capital punishment right there!

Because people think he rejected 10 million dollar Disney contract for more money and refuse to let Might Ducks sign Teemu... yet both of them took pay cut to sign with Colorado Avalanche as a package deal.

And because no other professional athletes in the history of all sports ever ditch a team for money or other reasons before. Paul Kariya is the black sheep of all sports.... Expect for Patrick Roy who flat out told MTL GM to pretty much go _____ themselves. The funny thing is, Roy's jersey was retired by MTL.

Paul Kariya didn't have to renew his contract after entry level to play for Mighty Ducks yet he did. When Management traded Selanne, he didn't ask for a trade. How he broke his promise to comeback next year didn't diminished how he gave all of us hope before Selanne came to Anaheim, and the period he led the Ducks without Selanne. Love him or hate him, at some point you have to acknowledge he put Ducks on the map with his run for the cup, especially after he the goal he scored after he got absolutely decked by Scott Stevens.

#46 Administrator

Administrator

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

Who can forget this game???

http://thehockeywrit...r-on-the-board/

#47 nieder

nieder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,542 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:37 AM

Who can forget this game???

http://thehockeywrit...r-on-the-board/

One of the great moments in Ducks history. That playoff run was a lot of fun.

#48 Shtalenkov

Shtalenkov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

Kariya was playing like the next Gretzky before those injuries started to take over. If we remember just how talented he was then his jersey will go up there eventually.

#49 janakkyle

janakkyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

If he didn't leave the Ducks to join Selanne with Colorado and help the Ducks like he promised his jersey would have been in the rafters.

#50 1timer

1timer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

Let me clarify my Griffin comparison. Most of what I have read about Griffin is something along the lines of "Amazing talent, you have to see him in person, a few holes in his game, as good as he is he can't carry a team himself." I think that was PKs Ducks tenure to a T.

You didnt even mention the biggest X factor in the cross check by Suter. It changed his career, he was never the same after it. If that hit never happened he would have left for a HUGE deal from a big market team.

As someone else mentioned every move PK made contract wise was to maximize $$$ and to hit FA as often and as soon as possible. His departure was the cherry on top, signing with Colorado on the uber-cheap to hit UFA early. That doesnt say Franchise savior, messiah, or whatever pedestal some want to put him on.

That pretty much sums up my opinion of Kariya.

I don't think Selanne would have broken all those records if he had never played with Kariya, they just clicked so incredible well together.

I think Kariya benefited more from playing with Selanne. Teemu would have produced with or without Kariya. The year that Kariya held out, Selanne scored 52 goals while virtually being the Mighty Ducks only scoring threat and having opposing teams game plan focused entirely on stopping him. That was the best year that I saw Teemu play while the two were paired. Imo, he deferred too much to Kariya and was much more creative without him. I still remember one goal where he entered the zone 1 on 3, beat all 3 defenders and the goalie, and made it look rediculously easy.

Kariya was playing like the next Gretzky before those injuries started to take over. If we remember just how talented he was then his jersey will go up there eventually.

That's quite a stretch. Few could reasonably make that comparison without a heavy dose of koolaid.

Edited by 1timer, 02 December 2012 - 01:31 PM.

#51 Freakle

Freakle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:47 AM

That stills doesn't change the fact, that Kariya is the reason the Ducks survived the first couple of years.
He was the first star this team was built on, and he is the biggest reason the Ducks became a "real" NHL franchise.

I think he deserves to get his number retired

#52 Drake12

Drake12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:20 AM

Not only does Kariya deserve his number retired, hopefully as part of a "The Twins" ceremony; I think the Ducks should bring him back in some capacity. I'm optimistic that having Niedermayer on staff will help our D, but having Kariya to help Etem and Palmieri along.... There's a lot of knowledge to convey and skills to teach.

AnaheimDucks.com is the official Web site of the Anaheim Ducks. Anaheim Ducks and AnaheimDucks.com are trademarks of Anaheim Ducks Hockey Club, LLC. NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 Anaheim Ducks Hockey Club, LLC and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy     Contact Us    Jobs     Honda Center    Corporate Partnerships   Terms of Use   Site Map AdChoices