Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

Olli Matta

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 duck123

duck123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

We've seen it every year. Players that were picked lower in the draft make the NHL, while players drafted ahead of them do not. Olli Matta is compared to Ryan Sutter with his puck-moving skills and calmness under pressure. He seems like the type of player to get picked past the top ten and be a great player for years. Being from Finland, this guy could be the future defense partner for fellow Finnish player Sami Vatanen, if we draft him. I wonder if we shouldn't trade our draft pick for a lower pick, in exchange for an established player, and pick Olli with our newly acquired and lower pick. This guy might be looked at in the near future, where teams like ourselves could potentially say, "How could we have missed this guy?"
http://mapleleafs.nh...=DL|TOR|DRAFT12

Edited by duck123, 07 June 2012 - 10:41 AM.

#2 ZTHER

ZTHER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,189 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:39 PM

We've seen it every year. Players that were picked lower in the draft make the NHL, while players drafted ahead of them do not. Olli Matta is compared to Ryan Sutter with his puck-moving skills and calmness under pressure. He seems like the type of player to get picked past the top ten and be a great player for years. Being from Finland, this guy could be the future defense partner for fellow Finnish player Sami Vatanen, if we draft him. I wonder if we shouldn't trade our draft pick for a lower pick, in exchange for an established player, and pick Olli with our newly acquired and lower pick. This guy might be looked at in the near future, where teams like ourselves could potentially say, "How could we have missed this guy?"
http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=80569&navid=DL|TOR|DRAFT12

Well, we've also seen, every year and with exponentially greater frequency, higher draft choices succeed to a greater degree than lower draft choices. It's a substantiated fact that higher drafted players succeed more and to a greater degree than lower drafted players.

#3 pondplayer

pondplayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=80569&navid=DL|TOR|DRAFT12

Theoretically, that sounds great! Realistically, I would rather take my chances with the 6th pick. You did say the words "seems" and "could" and "might" in your post when describing Matta.

Where IMHO I think Dumba presents more "is", "will" and "good chance" in him, but who really knows???

Edited by pondplayer, 07 June 2012 - 01:59 PM.

#4 pennaduck

pennaduck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:14 PM

Right now, I am hoping we have Galchenyuk or Grigorenko still on the board at #6. If not, than I would be content with picking Trouba or Reinhart at 6, although the consensus seems to be that we should pick Dumba or Rielly. I would be happy with any of these 6 players though, as they all should be quality NHL players someday. If we were to persue Maatta, than Murray should try and flip the #6 to washington for their 2 first rounders, and grab him at a later pick. I don't think it would be prudent to take him at #6 if the aforementions defenders are still available.

I do like Maatta though, I think he will be one of the 10 or 12 best players from this draft class. Our system lacks a big, physical defenseman though, so Trouba would be a better fit imo, and could be a long-term replacement for Beauchemin

#5 nieder

nieder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:00 AM

Right now, I am hoping we have Galchenyuk or Grigorenko still on the board at #6. If not, than I would be content with picking Trouba or Reinhart at 6, although the consensus seems to be that we should pick Dumba or Rielly. I would be happy with any of these 6 players though, as they all should be quality NHL players someday. If we were to persue Maatta, than Murray should try and flip the #6 to washington for their 2 first rounders, and grab him at a later pick. I don't think it would be prudent to take him at #6 if the aforementions defenders are still available.

I do like Maatta though, I think he will be one of the 10 or 12 best players from this draft class. Our system lacks a big, physical defenseman though, so Trouba would be a better fit imo, and could be a long-term replacement for Beauchemin

I'm still hoping that Mat Clark might be that guy. 6'3" 215lb, shut down guy. I'd like to see him get some NHL minutes this coming season.

#6 Freakle

Freakle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:19 AM

Olli Matta is miles away from a guy like Murray or Dumba. If none of the 4 big forwards are available, the ducks absolutely need to pick the best player available and that is Dumba. Matta can be great, but having watched both of them play this season, Dumba is a sure NHL player, Matta not so much.

#7 Jeulz

Jeulz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

Olli Matta is miles away from a guy like Murray or Dumba. If none of the 4 big forwards are available, the ducks absolutely need to pick the best player available and that is Dumba. Matta can be great, but having watched both of them play this season, Dumba is a sure NHL player, Matta not so much.

The Hunters traded up to select Maata first overall in the import draft last year. I think he's made huge strides. I wish that we had another pick at around 12 to draft Maata because I think at least one top prospect is going to drop either Forsberg, Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, Murray, Dumba. I'd take those guys over Maata.

#8 NewfieDuck

NewfieDuck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

The draft is 35% luck.. Its impossible to tell how a player is going to develop. Look at Perry and Getzlaf for proof of that, both were criticized for their skating ability, yet they both took huge strides in their development. Remember, these kids are 18 years old.. A lot can happen by the time they get to the NHL.

#9 Freakle

Freakle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:49 PM

The draft is 35% luck.. Its impossible to tell how a player is going to develop. Look at Perry and Getzlaf for proof of that, both were criticized for their skating ability, yet they both took huge strides in their development. Remember, these kids are 18 years old.. A lot can happen by the time they get to the NHL.

true, but the chance that a projected top 5 pic pans out is way higher than a 10-20th pick in the draft.

#10 Collin_THW

Collin_THW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

Don't forget that players like Shea Weber and, yes, our very own Justin Schultz weren't picked til the second round. Would they have been picked in the 1st round today? Undoubtedly, yes. Drafting isn't an exact science. Dumba may be a better player than Maatta right now, but who knows how they'll both develop in the next few years. All a team can do is rely on their scouting and hope that the scouts have done their due diligence. Anaheim may like Dumba, they may like Maatta, they may like Trouba - they may like all three, but they'll pick whoever they think best addresses a need in the prospect pool.

I, myself, like Maatta a lot. In fact, in a piece I wrote over at The Hockey Writers, I predicted the Ducks would pick him.

http://thehockeywrit...im-ducks-draft/

#11 duck123

duck123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

Don't forget that players like Shea Weber and, yes, our very own Justin Schultz weren't picked til the second round. Would they have been picked in the 1st round today? Undoubtedly, yes. Drafting isn't an exact science. Dumba may be a better player than Maatta right now, but who knows how they'll both develop in the next few years. All a team can do is rely on their scouting and hope that the scouts have done their due diligence. Anaheim may like Dumba, they may like Maatta, they may like Trouba - they may like all three, but they'll pick whoever they think best addresses a need in the prospect pool.

I, myself, like Maatta a lot. In fact, in a piece I wrote over at The Hockey Writers, I predicted the Ducks would pick him.

http://thehockeywriters.com/who-will-the-anaheim-ducks-draft/

That would be a neat pick. Can't wait til Friday!

AnaheimDucks.com is the official Web site of the Anaheim Ducks. Anaheim Ducks and AnaheimDucks.com are trademarks of Anaheim Ducks Hockey Club, LLC. NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 Anaheim Ducks Hockey Club, LLC and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy     Contact Us    Jobs     Honda Center    Corporate Partnerships   Terms of Use   Site Map AdChoices