The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hayski08

Nic Kerdiles

I said it a few times I think he is a better skating Bobby Ryan, and may end up being the steal of the draft. On another note, he replied to a tweet of mine today, saying that me asking for a retweet wasn't as good as a reply and he thanked me for my kind words. Main point being he is really busy and probably has millions of requests on twitter, but he still takes the time to thank fans for kind words. He really wants to be a Duck, and seems like a nice kid we are lucky to have him!

IMHO..If this kid becomes the "steal" of the draft, then we will have failed with the 6th pick. That being said, I like our chances.

He already has more character and "backbone" than a current prima donna prospect of ours..

IMHO..If this kid becomes the "steal" of the draft, then we will have failed with the 6th pick. That being said, I like our chances.

He already has more character and "backbone" than a current prima donna prospect of ours..

Not necessarily. If Lindholm lives up to his draft spot and Kerdiles surpasses his and would be a no brainer 1st rounder in a re-draft it would have him being a "steal" of the draft while having no real bearing on Lindholm.

A real life example is the 98 draft. Datsyuk was the steal of the draft being a 7th round pick but Vinny Lecavalier has lived up to his 1st overall status.

A real life example is the 98 draft. Datsyuk was the steal of the draft being a 7th round pick but Vinny Lecavalier has lived up to his 1st overall status.

Wasn't Lecavalier predicted to be the Michael Jordan of the NHL? I think he's a definite let down.

Wasn't Lecavalier predicted to be the Michael Jordan of the NHL? I think he's a definite let down.

That was the Lightnings owner. I dont think he actually came in with the "Next One" hype that Lindros and Crosby came in with from the rest of the Hockey world. How can anyone complain about a 1st overall pick that has put up 842 pts in 998 games in his career is more the point.

That was the Lightnings owner. I dont think he actually came in with the "Next One" hype that Lindros and Crosby came in with from the rest of the Hockey world. How can anyone complain about a 1st overall pick that has put up 842 pts in 998 games in his career is more the point.

I was joking about the MJ reference. Maybe I should have put it in blue.

I was joking about the MJ reference. Maybe I should have put it in blue.

You were joking but at the 98 Draft the Lightning owner did say that Vinny would become the Michael Jordan of the NHL. :lol:

I really like the pick. Kerdiles was really good for USA at the U18s, has a lot of potential. FYI his family lives in Irvine, and he is a Ducks fan.

To me the 6th pick won't be a steal, for one he is the 6th pick, two I believe in Lindholm already.

I really like the pick. Kerdiles was really good for USA at the U18s, has a lot of potential. FYI his family lives in Irvine, and he is a Ducks fan.

I know that was part of the reason he wants to be a Duck.

If Linholm becomes an all star people will say the 6th pick was justified and I think he will be a multiple time all-star, but I also think Kerdiles is going to be 20-25 goal scorer and a 50-60 point player and people will look back and say 29 other teams had a shot at him, what a steal!

Kerdiles was ruled ineligible to play at college this year because of alleged violations of NCAA rules. His appeal will be heard next week.

Ducks are having a run of bad things happening to them with prospects. First it was Justin Schultz (hooaaawwwwkkk!! SPIT!!) and now Kerdiles.

:wacko:The Mad Duckster :wacko:

P.S. Really looking forward to the home opener tomorrow night!

Kerdiles was just named 2013 WCHA Final Five MVP with 1g 1a in the final game for Wisconsin. He now has 32 points in 31 games.

That's pretty impressive as a freshman. Looks like this could be another good draftee Murray threw into the pipeline.

Wisconsin just got eliminated from the NCAA tournament tonight so Nic's season is done. He got an assist one on of their goals. I wonder if he'll sign an ELC this summer or if he'll return to college for one more year?

Wisconsin just got eliminated from the NCAA tournament tonight so Nic's season is done. He got an assist one on of their goals. I wonder if he'll sign an ELC this summer or if he'll return to college for one more year?

Can he take the Schultz route to hell Edmonton?

Is Kerdiles using the same loophole as Schultz? 

I wouldn't be surprised if he does.  If the NHL is going to leave this ridiculous loophole open, why not take advantage of it?

I don't think Kerdiles played a year of juniors before going to college, so the Judas Schultz loophole wouldn't apply to him. He's ours for the foreseeable future.

Since he's only a sophomore and we're in pretty good shape with our forwards, I don't see a need to rush him into the pros either.

I don't think Kerdiles played a year of juniors before going to college, so the Judas Schultz loophole wouldn't apply to him. He's ours for the foreseeable future.

Since he's only a sophomore and we're in pretty good shape with our forwards, I don't see a need to rush him into the pros either.

Is that a requirement for the loophole to apply?  I thought it only had to do with a college player who hadn't signed a deal with the team that drafted him four years after the draft.  But I admit I don't know all the details.

After looking at it, it seems that the loophole still applies, but in a different way.  The deal with Schultz (and others) is that he played that year of juniors after he was drafted, so he didn't have to graduate from college to become a free agent - he only had to play three seasons of college hockey.  Kerdiles could still become a free agent by refusing to sign with the Ducks until he graduates.

Is that a requirement for the loophole to apply?  I thought it only had to do with a college player who hadn't signed a deal with the team that drafted him four years after the draft.  But I admit I don't know all the details.

After looking at it, it seems that the loophole still applies, but in a different way.  The deal with Schultz (and others) is that he played that year of juniors after he was drafted, so he didn't have to graduate from college to become a free agent - he only had to play three seasons of college hockey.  Kerdiles could still become a free agent by refusing to sign with the Ducks until he graduates.

True, but I believe that separate loophole was partially closed, in that a player who chooses to go that route after their final year of college doesn't become a UFA until August, which is after most teams have already signed their free agents. So there's less incentive for a player to do that (at least financially), whereas Judas had an incentive to kick us in the gonads because he was going to immediately become a free agent who could make a lot of money when free agency opened on July 1st.

Either way, Kerdiles is only a sophomore. There's plenty of time to figure out what he's going to do and plan accordingly.

I wouldn't be surprised if he does.  If the NHL is going to leave this ridiculous loophole open, why not take advantage of it?

Stupid loophole! What is the point in drafting players, if this is allowed to continually happen? Although I do find it almost comical that Schultz picked that bottom-feeder, crap team to play on instead of the thriving Ducks!

Is that how it works? Because I know nothing about it...

Stupid loophole! What is the point in drafting players, if this is allowed to continually happen? Although I do find it almost comical that Schultz picked that bottom-feeder, crap team to play on instead of the thriving Ducks!

Is that how it works? Because I know nothing about it...

If a player is drafted and then goes to college, if he has not signed a contract before he graduates, he becomes a free agent (as far as I can tell) and can sign with any team.  However, that doesn't often happen, since those players are usually 22 or so by the time they'd graduate, and they usually would sign earlier.

However, when a player like Schultz gets drafted young, they sometimes are not old enough to go to college yet.  So they have a year or two of juniors and then go to college.  In these cases, the rule says that they can become free agents in the fourth summer after they are drafted, whether they have graduated or not.

But these players are still subject to the rookie contract limits.  They can't be paid like a real free agent.  The only thing they can do is pick their team.  This actually happened with Blake Wheeler when Phoenix drafted him but couldn't sign him.  Except Phoenix was awarded a compensatory draft pick when Wheeler signed with the Bruins.  The Ducks got squat.

That's why the Schultz situation was so frustrating.  He couldn't make more money signing elsewhere (in fact, as I understand it, the Ducks could actually have offered him $100k more than any other team, and I think they did).  So it was only a location issue and the Ducks got nothing.  Totally garbage.

In reality, I doubt this will happen with anyone else.  Murray isn't going to let that burn him again.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Kerdiles around sooner rather than later.

If a player is drafted and then goes to college, if he has not signed a contract before he graduates, he becomes a free agent (as far as I can tell) and can sign with any team.  However, that doesn't often happen, since those players are usually 22 or so by the time they'd graduate, and they usually would sign earlier.

However, when a player like Schultz gets drafted young, they sometimes are not old enough to go to college yet.  So they have a year or two of juniors and then go to college.  In these cases, the rule says that they can become free agents in the fourth summer after they are drafted, whether they have graduated or not.

But these players are still subject to the rookie contract limits.  They can't be paid like a real free agent.  The only thing they can do is pick their team.  This actually happened with Blake Wheeler when Phoenix drafted him but couldn't sign him.  Except Phoenix was awarded a compensatory draft pick when Wheeler signed with the Bruins.  The Ducks got squat.

That's why the Schultz situation was so frustrating.  He couldn't make more money signing elsewhere (in fact, as I understand it, the Ducks could actually have offered him $100k more than any other team, and I think they did).  So it was only a location issue and the Ducks got nothing.  Totally garbage.

In reality, I doubt this will happen with anyone else.  Murray isn't going to let that burn him again.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Kerdiles around sooner rather than later.

Why did the Coyotes get a pick? And we got nothing?

Schultz should have been upfront with the organization. If he would have notified them of his intent to leave, they could have traded him for something. Oh well, could have, should have, or would have...doesn't do anything to help what happened.

I am curious to see if Murray attempts to sign Kerdiles during this coming off-season, to determine his intentions. If he unwilling to commit to the Ducks, I could see him being part of the package offered for Kesler (which could likely happen anyway).

Why did the Coyotes get a pick? And we got nothing?

Schultz should have been upfront with the organization. If he would have notified them of his intent to leave, they could have traded him for something. Oh well, could have, should have, or would have...doesn't do anything to help what happened.

I am curious to see if Murray attempts to sign Kerdiles during this coming off-season, to determine his intentions. If he unwilling to commit to the Ducks, I could see him being part of the package offered for Kesler (which could likely happen anyway).

I haven't done too much research into it, but I think it was because Wheeler was a very high draft pick at the top of the first round while Schultz was a second round pick.  Completely unfair to the Ducks, of course, but that was the league's discretion.

And yes, Schultz is a complete...[fill in your own creative insult here]

I haven't done too much research into it, but I think it was because Wheeler was a very high draft pick at the top of the first round while Schultz was a second round pick.  Completely unfair to the Ducks, of course, but that was the league's discretion.

And yes, Schultz is a complete...[fill in your own creative insult here]

I believe poum's classic, "dirty hooker" works well here.

"Ducks Prospects" twitter account fella is saying there's some rumblings that Sorenson has been signed. How many more contracts can the Ducks lock up? Does it affect their ability to sign Kerdiles, or not until he comes over to start playing pro?

A lot of my "knowledge" of contract situations is pretty much trash since it mostly derives from playing video games.  :ph34r:

I can't tell if you guys are actually worried about Kerdiles choosing not to sign with us. That's what it sounds like to me. I highly doubt he'd decline an offer from us, especially considering he's from Irvine.