The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1anaheim

The 1 July Thread

The NHL player stat page says he was a -1 last regular season. Breaking about even on +/- is a good thing, considering he only scored 14 points this season. He was fourth in blocked shots. Sounds like a Toni Lydman kind of player (the healthy Toni Lydman). I'm not saying he's going to finish a season +32, but looks like he is going to be a defensively reliable blueliner.

Not a lot of penalty minutes, but I don't see a 'hits' stat, so if he does do a lot of checking, it's not the kind that will put the Ducks short handed very often.

(Just my interpretation of the stats)

He had 111 hits last year from what I read...Not bad

I hate when I run out of +1's LOL. So many deserving posts, so few to give out. I should be more selective next time. :P

So true. The -1 always seem to be in good supply though. :lol:

NHL.com says this about Allen: "The 31-year-old is the prototypical big, physical force along the blue line who rarely gives an inch when the opposition enters the neutral zone. Though he didn't get much playing time on the power play in Carolina, he's the type of reliable player who can provide a solid 18-20 minutes per game. He had 14 points last season, but led the Hurricanes with 188 blocked shots and was seventh with 111 hits."

I like the part that says "who rarely gives an inch when the opposition enters the neutral zone." Sounds like the perfect type of player the Ducks can use. People on this message board have compared him to Sutton, because of his size at 6'5. However, if I remember correctly, Sutton was often thought of as a defensive liability, and certainly never had a description of a defenseman "who rarely gives an inch when the opposition enters the neutral zone."

I am sure Bruce had seen enough of Allen to know he is a good defenseman, with Bruce's experience playing on the East Coast. Great signing by Murray.

-Fowler -Beauchemin

-Sbisa -Allen

-Vatanen -Lydman

NHL.com says this about Allen: "The 31-year-old is the prototypical big, physical force along the blue line who rarely gives an inch when the opposition enters the neutral zone. Though he didn't get much playing time on the power play in Carolina, he's the type of reliable player who can provide a solid 18-20 minutes per game. He had 14 points last season, but led the Hurricanes with 188 blocked shots and was seventh with 111 hits."

I like the part that says "who rarely gives an inch when the opposition enters the neutral zone." Sounds like the perfect type of player the Ducks can use. People on this message board have compared him to Sutton, because of his size at 6'5. However, if I remember correctly, Sutton was often thought of as a defensive liability, and certainly never had a description of a defenseman "who rarely gives an inch when the opposition enters the neutral zone."

I am sure Bruce had seen enough of Allen to know he is a good defenseman, with Bruce's experience playing on the East Coast. Great signing by Murray.

-Fowler -Beauchemin

-Sbisa -Allen

-Vatanen -Lydman

+1

Good post, great point re: BB and his knowledge of a familiar SE rival.

I hate when I run out of +1's LOL. So many deserving posts, so few to give out. I should be more selective next time. :P

I don't know when they refresh either... some days I have about five of them, other days I have two +1's and it says I'm at my limit.

He had 111 hits last year from what I read...Not bad

That's great news, considering he gets a lot of hits, and doesn't end up in the box too much.

-Fowler -Beauchemin

-Sbisa -Allen

-Vatanen -Lydman

Not sure if I would pair them together but Sbisa and Allen would be tough to push around.

Sbisa and Allen would make a solid hitting tandem if paired together with Sbisa maybe providing a little offense every now and then like last year?

LOVING that third D-pairing.

Any thoughts on Cogliano? Should he stay or be traded? Does he fit on this team, Sure he is a work horse.. But if it's the size we want on the team?

-Fowler -Beauchemin

-Sbisa -Allen

-Vatanen -Lydman

So who is out if they sign Souray? Vatanen?

Sbisa and Allen would make a solid hitting tandem if paired together with Sbisa maybe providing a little offense every now and then like last year?

LOVING that third D-pairing.

It would give Sbisa more free reign to carry the puck, the way Bruce seems to like him. Not sure I love the thought, but it could be a solid pairing for that reason.

Any thoughts on Cogliano? Should he stay or be traded? Does he fit on this team, Sure he is a work horse.. But if it's the size we want on the team?

Yeah, I think if you find a good "out" with him you take it. Especially if one of these young Skilled kids makes an impression at camp.

I would assume so. It would let him get used to the NA game in the AHL before making the jump.

I'm really more concerned about Allen's footspeed and especially when we have to play against very quick teams...I have a feeling we're becoming a slower team and looking to just play back on our heels just like 2010-2011 team when we had Lilja/Mara/Sutton.

It would give Sbisa more free reign to carry the puck, the way Bruce seems to like him. Not sure I love the thought, but it could be a solid pairing for that reason.

Yeah he makes me nervous at times. I think it's because he does not carry the Puck often so when he does Im like "What is he doing?" He is obviously very capable, just needs confidence and more experience making those type of plays.

I'm really more concerned about Allen's footspeed and especially when we have to play against very quick teams...I have a feeling we're becoming a slower team and looking to just play back on our heels just like 2010-2011 team when we had Lilja/Mara/Sutton.

When the big guys are paired with good skaters, it's not that much of a concern. We're not going to have a pairing that has two guys waiting for the play to come to them.

If they could sign Souray for a year that would be great. Send Vatanen to the AHL to adjust to the N. American style. Lydman's contract also ends after this season too. So Vatanen would have a good opportunity next season.

Looks like we're very close to getting Sheldon Souray per Eric Stephens...if so, we'll have another huge body to really keep opponents honest, especially the Queens.

Now were worried about footspeed on D? I thought the concensus was we needed some size and grit. You need a mixture of both IMHO..Fowler cant do things that Allen can do and Vice a versa..

Looks like we're very close to getting Sheldon Souray per Eric Stephens...if so, we'll have another huge body to really keep opponents honest, especially the Queens.

Man, Murray seriously gooning it up. Balance Murray, balance! We do still need another guy who can skate with the puck and bring some speed. Also, how about the forward lines? Maybe he's attacking one area at a time?

I like: I had him as a Masterton nominee last season.

Man, Murray seriously gooning it up. Balance Murray, balance! We do still need another guy who can skate with the puck and bring some speed. Also, how about the forward lines? Maybe he's attacking one area at a time?

Remember, we lost both Brookbank and Parros today..

I think Murray is counting on Fowler, Sbisa and Vatanen to do damage from the blueline.

Like young guys:offense, veterans:defence

Does anyone know if Allen drops the gloves much?And if so how is he? Just curious..

Allen actually does, and look him up on YouTube...he also is a devastating hitter and even injured Ovechkin on his patented hip check.

I welcome the gooning. One of the worst things I hate is seeing Ducks get schooled on the ice, getting knocked around, knocked on their butts, and the Ducks dmen being too small to push big guys out away from Hiller. So many goals went in because of that, because Hiller couldn't see the shot.

Fast & flashy honestly hasn't worked for the team. The whole league is getting bigger, while Ducks got smaller.

So one of the Blackhawks beat reporters is tweeting that the Brookbank deal is for 2 years w/ $2.5 million cap hit.