The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1anaheim

The 1 July Thread

I really hope if we sign Souray it'll only be a 1 year deal. You guys are all jacked up on the size and grit thing, but Souray has never been known for his defense, is slow, and often injured. Yeah, he had a good year with Dallas (although a bunch of his numbers came from a really hot start), but it was only 1 year. I'd be way more thrilled with Allen than Souray if we end up getting both. I'll be pretty disappointed if Souray gets a 2 year deal from us. Who knows, maybe it'll work out.

Does anyone know if Allen drops the gloves much?And if so how is he? Just curious..

Here's Bryan Allen at hockeyfights.com LINK

Hopefully Allen/Souray can eventually teach Lindolm a thing or 2 about using his hopefully bigger body the year after next. I wonder if that plays into the decisions as well? Souray is suppose to be a super stand up guy...I think.

I'm very very glad, yet again, that Murray isn't overpaying. Seriously, is any player, save maybe Lemiuex or Gretzky in their prime, worth ten years at 8-9 million a year?

Guys, I got a scoop from the Avalanche's version of "semipro". He told me the Avs interest in Ryan is increasing by the moment and they are preparing a bid. The source wouldn't tell, what the package will look like, but it was the same sours who leaked him the Downie and McGinn swaps before they happened.

His guess was 1st round picks and D prospects (Siemens, Barrie etc), my guess was that if it were to happen, Ducks would want either Duchene or O'Reilly to be involved. We'll see...

So, I noticed a few people are worried about the lack of speed of Allen. I have never read anything saying he is slow, and so I cannot comment. But even if he is, that is not surprising. Most defenseman 6'5 or above are not the fastest players in the world. Chris Pronger and Zdeno Chara are not the fastest skaters in the world. As long as larger defenseman play good positional hockey, they can be great for a team. It sounds like Allen plays great positional hockey. Before July 1st, I remember one commentator on NHL network saying he was really surprised Carolina was allowing Allen to test the market, since a player like him is hard to come by. Speed or not, he can especially help us in the playoffs. He's younger than even Beauchemin. Now Sbisa and Fowler each have a defenseman to be paired with who should be in their prime (defenseman are considered to be in their prime in their low 30's I've heard). I look forward to what other moves Murray has. And who knows. Come November, Brian Murray might have Ducks fans jumping on his bandwagon. :D

I really hope if we sign Souray it'll only be a 1 year deal. You guys are all jacked up on the size and grit thing, but Souray has never been known for his defense, is slow, and often injured. Yeah, he had a good year with Dallas (although a bunch of his numbers came from a really hot start), but it was only 1 year. I'd be way more thrilled with Allen than Souray if we end up getting both. I'll be pretty disappointed if Souray gets a 2 year deal from us. Who knows, maybe it'll work out.

Souray would look impressive on a third pairing though. Sure he's not a first pairing guy, and probably won't even be that amazing on the second pairing, but if he gives the Ducks three solid pairings... he's brought in for depth more than anything else I would guess.

So one of the Blackhawks beat reporters is tweeting that the Brookbank deal is for 2 years w/ $2.5 million cap hit.

WOW! That's what I call OVERPAID!

WOW! That's what I call OVERPAID!

SERIOUSLY!!

Sure he had a great season last season...for him...but...still...

One of his 3 goals was against the Blackhawks though...maybe they're just trying to stop that from happening again :P

I have a question...does anybody know where Zither & Sojourn are? I'm surprised they aren't posting about the trades....maybe they're on vacation. I'm just surprised that we haven't heard anything from either of them.

Would love to hear Zther's opinions on these signings but as for Capt Condescension, no thanks.

Would love to hear Zther's opinions on these signings but as for Capt Condescension, no thanks.

From what I've seen over my long time lurking on the boards, "Capt Condescension" could mean a lot people.

Guys, I got a scoop from the Avalanche's version of "semipro". He told me the Avs interest in Ryan is increasing by the moment and they are preparing a bid. The source wouldn't tell, what the package will look like, but it was the same sours who leaked him the Downie and McGinn swaps before they happened.

His guess was 1st round picks and D prospects (Siemens, Barrie etc), my guess was that if it were to happen, Ducks would want either Duchene or O'Reilly to be involved. We'll see...

By, " their version of SEMIPRO", do you mean often challenged yet immensely talented? :D

SERIOUSLY!!

Sure he had a great season last season...for him...but...still...

One of his 3 goals was against the Blackhawks though...maybe they're just trying to stop that from happening again :P

Or didnt want to see him get hurt anymore

Anybody else think if he signs Souray, it could mean Lydman and his $3MM are leaving? Maybe we can trade D for a forward at that point, not that I wouldn't want to keep Lydman, I think he'll come back strong next year.

Fowler-Beauch

Sbisa-Allen

Souray/Clark/Vatanen

So, I noticed a few people are worried about the lack of speed of Allen. I have never read anything saying he is slow, and so I cannot comment. But even if he is, that is not surprising. Most defenseman 6'5 or above are not the fastest players in the world. Chris Pronger and Zdeno Chara are not the fastest skaters in the world. As long as larger defenseman play good positional hockey, they can be great for a team. It sounds like Allen plays great positional hockey. Before July 1st, I remember one commentator on NHL network saying he was really surprised Carolina was allowing Allen to test the market, since a player like him is hard to come by. Speed or not, he can especially help us in the playoffs. He's younger than even Beauchemin. Now Sbisa and Fowler each have a defenseman to be paired with who should be in their prime (defenseman are considered to be in their prime in their low 30's I've heard). I look forward to what other moves Murray has. And who knows. Come November, Brian Murray might have Ducks fans jumping on his bandwagon. :D

before you get burned, I'm pretty sure you meant Bob Murray

By, " their version of SEMIPRO", do you mean often challenged yet immensely talented? :D

well, I don't know about that part, he seemed to be confident enough though, and he just happened to come from a BBQ at the Stastny's :D

I hope this isn't the end of Murray's dealing. We definitely need good solid defensemen, but I also thought we were looking for a strong center. It looks like our rivals are getting stronger while we are just hoping for more. I realize that we are a small market team, but we have gotten so much smaller in our guys. Allen hopefully will be a good addition, Souray, I heard a year or so ago, that he was always getting injured, so if we get him, I hope he can stay healthy. Like someone else posted, I'm tired of seeing our guys gets pushed around and knocked down. Hope we can put an end to that.

Eric Stephens

@icemancometh

Ducks sign D Sheldon Souray. Three years, $11 million.

Holy crap. Don't like this at all. Hopefully he works out. At least the cap hit is manageable. Just don't like the term.

Per Eric Stephens: Ducks sign Souray, 3 years $11 million.

I was not expecting that type of deal.

Pretty big deal like the signing though.

NHL.com says this about Allen: "The 31-year-old is the prototypical big, physical force along the blue line who rarely gives an inch when the opposition enters the neutral zone. Though he didn't get much playing time on the power play in Carolina, he's the type of reliable player who can provide a solid 18-20 minutes per game. He had 14 points last season, but led the Hurricanes with 188 blocked shots and was seventh with 111 hits."

I like the part that says "who rarely gives an inch when the opposition enters the neutral zone." Sounds like the perfect type of player the Ducks can use. People on this message board have compared him to Sutton, because of his size at 6'5. However, if I remember correctly, Sutton was often thought of as a defensive liability, and certainly never had a description of a defenseman "who rarely gives an inch when the opposition enters the neutral zone."

I am sure Bruce had seen enough of Allen to know he is a good defenseman, with Bruce's experience playing on the East Coast. Great signing by Murray.

-Fowler -Beauchemin

-Sbisa -Allen

-Vatanen -Lydman

And didn't Sutton have like 3 suspensions last year? That isn't being a good defenseman. That's being a thug. This guy doesn't sound like that type of player.

Eric Stephens

@icemancometh

Ducks sign D Sheldon Souray. Three years, $11 million.

Holy crap. Don't like this at all. Hopefully he works out. At least the cap hit is manageable. Just don't like the term.

+1 x 1,000

Too much money, too long a commitment. Ugh, hope for the best I guess.