The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1anaheim

The 1 July Thread

Bryan Allen is a good signing, I think: Plays between 17-24 minutes a night with neutral or a -1 rating which isn't horrible for a guy facing top lines (on the other hand, it was the Southeast that he mostly defended against). Can throw big hits, not all the time, whether that's good or bad depends...Can block shots and is big. For $3.5 mm not the worst signing in Ducks history.

Then you won't fit in here, don't you know the sky is falling!!! We haven't assembled a Cup team by dinner time on July 1st. Might as well shut it down, if we don't get Suter and Parise we can't compete, and Bob is a failure as a GM.

Yeah I shouldn't have played my cards like that...

Bryan Allen, 6'5 220lbs? Wow crazy big, I'm not familiar with him, can anybody shed some light? Does he play big or is he Sutton-big (aka waste of big body space)?

"Allen is a physical force who led the Hurricanes last season with 188 blocked shots and was seventh with 111 hits. He plays about 18-20 minutes per game."

Dave Lozo, NHL FA Blog

Allen is a decent signing. Typical stay at home defensemen, but with great size and he throws the body around a bit. Hopefully he can be a good shutdown defender.

"Allen is a physical force who led the Hurricanes last season with 188 blocked shots and was seventh with 111 hits. He plays about 18-20 minutes per game."

Dave Lozo, NHL FA Blog

I like it, especially after losing Brookbank. Now get Souray and well be tough to reckon with.

Dave Lozo, NHL FA Blog

Sounds very good! + If Lydman play like he played the first year with us, he did block many shots!

Dave Lozo, NHL FA Blog

Well, we put him and Beauch together for blocked shots...maybe Hiller will finally stop facing 40 shots a night!!! Yay!!!! :D

Dave Lozo, NHL FA Blog

Thank you, I like this. A big stay at home dman is something Ducks have been missing since Pronger left. Looks like a good deal. Better defense leads to better offense, we've all seen how defense is what wins the Cup still.

Tweet from realkyper: "Market was set real early for Parise/Suter 12-13 year deals offered at 90M plus. Incredible to hear #NHL teams willing to go there."

Yeah, I hope Murray doesn't do that.

Yes, I mean they'll be 40-41 till the end of those contracts and like 99% of players a retired already at that age. Not everyone is a Lidstrom or Selanne...

@reallisa: Checked on the suggestion that the Ducks are in on Olli Jokinen. They are not.

I like the signing of bryan allen, but he is also slow so he will probably get beat a lot.

That depends on how his positioning is - theres plenty of slower/bigger guys in this league that do just fine. He also led his team in blocks which would lead me to believe his positioning is rather sound.

I like the signing of bryan allen, but he is also slow so he will probably get beat a lot.

You are just all negative nancy today aren't you? Pronger wasn't fast, most big dman aren't fast. They aren't built to race from one end to another. Slower skaters often play position and they use their big bodies to block shots or make body hits.

This team needed someone big like that, because Hiller was facing way too many shots last season, and the team had nobody big to push others out of the crease.

This signing (and the Souray rumor, unless Allen was an either/or signing when it comes to Souray), makes me feel more and more that Vatanen is penciled in to replace Vish.

We have Allen, Lydman, Beauchemin, Sbisa, and Fowler... where is the offense other than Cam? Unless Lydman and his $3MM are on the move to bring in someone like Garrison, or another PMD, I have to assume Sami is a shoe in.

You are just all negative nancy today aren't you? Pronger wasn't fast, most big dman aren't fast. They aren't built to race from one end to another. Slower skaters often play position and they use their big bodies to block shots or make body hits.

This team needed someone big like that, because Hiller was facing way too many shots last season, and the team had nobody big to push others out of the crease.

Thank you

I hope Allen isnt Sutton 2.0. We thought Sutton would block shots and clear out the crease and we all know how that turned out.

I said i liked the signing dude chill out. You cant compare Allen to pronger. Pronger was in a different league than allen is in. But i do like his size and his stay at home style.

I hope Allen isnt Sutton 2.0. We thought Sutton would block shots and clear out the crease and we all know how that turned out.

Yeah, but we're paying Allen more, so he has to be better. Right?

This signing (and the Souray rumor, unless Allen was an either/or signing when it comes to Souray), makes me feel more and more that Vatanen is penciled in to replace Vish.

We have Allen, Lydman, Beauchemin, Sbisa, and Fowler... where is the offense other than Cam? Unless Lydman and his $3MM are on the move to bring in someone like Garrison, or another PMD, I have to assume Sami is a shoe in.

Murray's comments after the Vish trade lead me to believe they are comfortable having Sami in the line up this season.

Yeah, Beauch and Allen blocking shots...this will be help Hiller SOOO MUCH!!!

How is his outlet pass? Anyone know? That's also something we seem to be missing from our D...being able to do tape to tape out of our zone...or just even clear our zone!

Eric Stephens: "Feeling is Ducks are still working on some stuff. Now what that stuff is remains to be seen."

This is my fear as well. It could become a big chunk of money tied up if that becomes the case. That being said, people seem pretty high on the guy, and I've seen highlights of him breaking through the opposition with speed and scoring. Not saying he's a good skater, but he's not terrible from what little I've seen.