The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anaheimducks25

The Bobby Ryan Thread

It seems as though the Bobby Ryan trade rumors have picked up again, although I'm not quite sure they ever died down. Having said that, what do you all think the odds are that he gets moved? If he is moved, when do you think it happens (are we looking at a draft day deal to potentially move up and secure a higher pick), who do you think he goes for, and what kind of price can we expect to get for him? I absolutely do not want to see him moved, as he has done nothing but excel in my mind here scoring 30+ goals in all 4 seasons, the first with less than a full year with the big club.

It seems as though the Bobby Ryan trade rumors have picked up again, although I'm not quite sure they ever died down. Having said that, what do you all think the odds are that he gets moved? If he is moved, when do you think it happens (are we looking at a draft day deal to potentially move up and secure a higher pick), who do you think he goes for, and what kind of price can we expect to get for him? I absolutely do not want to see him moved, as he has done nothing but excel in my mind here scoring 30+ goals in all 4 seasons, the first with less than a full year with the big club.

I can agree with that sentiment that a productive and consistent player is not something you want to move. I went through a lot of the speculation boards that were posted. Some good points raised were the expectations on Bobby by fans are very diverse. Simply put many people think that he should be a more defensive minded player and should be traded for higher draft picks and a roster player. A lot of the deals proposed or desired are for prospects and picks in most cases. I don't feel personally that trading him away for prospects is worth it, the proven consistency is hard to come by. Too much of a gamble on prospects, also a lot of speculation on a draft day deal. We already have the 6th pick we are not in an inopportune situation, we will get a big piece for the team's future.

I see the dynamic as every single Ducks fan on these boards is frustrated with a down year, and everyone is looking for a shake-up to show that the team is progressing. I think that is a little drastic, Bobby is one of our few definite top 6 forward players that has been drafted and developed, that is our way out of this predicament not simply trading him away for prospects who will be good in a year or two. I don't think that it isn't possible he will be traded and if he is I would want a major return, I just don't think personally that you fix a team by dealing one of your best players for someone else's best player. A lot of it has to come through drafting and development, which takes time. I would rather not try a huge immediate impact trade to "fix" the team in one season but an approach to address long term problems over the next 2 years while still having a competitive team.

Not saying that anyone who is in favor of trading Bobby is wrong. Just not my preferred method for addressing the teams problems. If he is traded I want an awesome trade, that does make us better for the next season. That's the whole goal in my mind if you trade Bobby, to make the team better for next year. Trading him for draft picks/players in the years to come seems to be a huge waste in my mind.

As much as I wish he was more a player willing to go into the corners and pay the price to get the puck, or that he was much more solid as a two way player, the fact is he has posted four straight 30 goal seasons. Unless he is asking for a trade why would you even entertain the idea, especially when he is under contract three more seasons.

I think the only way I would be comfortable with trading Bobby Ryan away is if we got a Shea Weber calibur D man with a long career ahead of them as a trade.Bobby Ryan is only in his early 20s. Why would you trade him for a prospect?

I think the trade rumors are more wishing on the part of all the other hockey teams.

I hope that this year Broudreau builds a line around Bobby. If he does that and the line had chemistry, the Ducks would have 3 scoring lines and a 4th to fill different roles depending on which players you dress each game.

I can agree with that sentiment that a productive and consistent player is not something you want to move. I went through a lot of the speculation boards that were posted. Some good points raised were the expectations on Bobby by fans are very diverse. Simply put many people think that he should be a more defensive minded player and should be traded for higher draft picks and a roster player. A lot of the deals proposed or desired are for prospects and picks in most cases. I don't feel personally that trading him away for prospects is worth it, the proven consistency is hard to come by. Too much of a gamble on prospects, also a lot of speculation on a draft day deal. We already have the 6th pick we are not in an inopportune situation, we will get a big piece for the team's future.

I see the dynamic as every single Ducks fan on these boards is frustrated with a down year, and everyone is looking for a shake-up to show that the team is progressing. I think that is a little drastic, Bobby is one of our few definite top 6 forward players that has been drafted and developed, that is our way out of this predicament not simply trading him away for prospects who will be good in a year or two. I don't think that it isn't possible he will be traded and if he is I would want a major return, I just don't think personally that you fix a team by dealing one of your best players for someone else's best player. A lot of it has to come through drafting and development, which takes time. I would rather not try a huge immediate impact trade to "fix" the team in one season but an approach to address long term problems over the next 2 years while still having a competitive team.

Not saying that anyone who is in favor of trading Bobby is wrong. Just not my preferred method for addressing the teams problems. If he is traded I want an awesome trade, that does make us better for the next season. That's the whole goal in my mind if you trade Bobby, to make the team better for next year. Trading him for draft picks/players in the years to come seems to be a huge waste in my mind.

Totally agree.

Bobby likes it with the Ducks, or so most of people think.

Bobby Likes the idea to build a line around him.

Bobby scores 30 goals consistently.

Bobby is BIG, and we need that.

--

So whats the point?

Just like kariya_selannefan98 and Shadowduck pointed out, unless it's Parise or Weber or another rock-solid proven player, it's not worth it. Bobby is a 2nd pick and performs as a solid 2nd pick. Almost. (use size more! think about defense more! pretty please, Bobby?). Good enough for me to stay on the roster of this team.

I am very upset...they can not trade Bobby, he is a big part of the Ducks future.

I would be so mad if BM trades him..HUGE MISTAKE..

I am sorry, I do not feel there is another player out there to trade a guy that plays very good on our team, huge fan favorite, and wants to be a DUCK..along with Getzy and Perry.

Seriously think it would be bad if BM trades him.

Just me venting....

LoveMyDucks..love BOBBY....

So it seems as if trade talks between Philly and Anaheim are heating up, and not just for Ryan. Apparently the flyers want the 6th overall pick along with ryan for- a package of these players plus picks: JVR,Schenn, Read, #20 overall+#45. I personally think the flyers will try to keep schenn so the deal probably looks like this: 20+45+JVR+Read/Briere(depending if he waves his NTC)for Ryan+#6. Weber isnt going anyway, especially not for Bobby Ryan(Ryan is a great forward, but hes not even close to the same caliber player as Weber).

Times yours fellas

I really do think Bobby likes it in Anaheim.. I follow him on twitter and he really gives me that vibe.. But in my opinion if we don't trade him now, his value goes down after each year of his contract, 'cause I don't think he is going to resign here after all of the rumours and whatnot. I like Bobby and I wish him the best, but I think after this weekend he will no longer be a Duck.

The day he is a FA it will be Philly where he signs. Get something for him while you can.. He has wanted to play for his favorite team for his whole life, and has relations in the FO.

After you guys read this article, you will want to trade him and get rid of this drama queen for good:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20120622/SPORTS04/120622008/Ryan-hopes-traded-Flyers?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

We can't win with guys like this, despite the # of goals he has scored for us. Little wonder why he was dogging it on the ice.

Good riddance Bobby Cryan!

After you guys read this article, you will want to trade him and get rid of this drama queen for good:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20120622/SPORTS04/120622008/Ryan-hopes-traded-Flyers?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

We can't win with guys like this, despite the # of goals he has scored for us. Little wonder why he was dogging it on the ice.

Good riddance Bobby Cryan!

Yeah. How dare he want to feel wanted on a team and organization he plays for (consistently, by the way). I say, if there is any kind of underachieving by Bobby, it's because of the stupid tentativeness by Murray to keep him or not. And it's getting into Bobby's head. They need to make up their minds. Once Bobby's home gets settled, I expect him to be the Bobby we all know and love.... wherever that should be. My heart is praying he stays in a Ducks sweater. But the Ducks management sounds as dumb as this post, so i'm pretty nervous.

Bobby Ryan has consistently put up numbers each season for the Ducks. Whenever things go bad, for some reason it was Bobby that was always dropped to a lower line even though Bobby was playing well. Bobby was always the guy that was getting less minutes for no apparent reason. He was constantly being moved around lines. Bobby just wants to be treated fairly and that's completely reasonable. Carlyle was terrible to Bobby. Even though Bobby was getting less minutes, we all still expected him to be getting the goals. He has a reason to be mad.

The fact that he yapped again, honestly, I haven't seen any Ducks players talked so much. Only player I've seen that talked a lot about Ducks trading them is Lupul, who actually have been traded multiple times. But at least Lupul waited until the trade was over to spill his words.

At this point in time, it's best for both the team and Bobby Ryan, that he gets traded. Let's just hope the Ducks get something decent in return.

The fact that he yapped again, honestly, I haven't seen any Ducks players talked so much. Only player I've seen that talked a lot about Ducks trading them is Lupul, who actually have been traded multiple times. But at least Lupul waited until the trade was over to spill his words.

At this point in time, it's best for both the team and Bobby Ryan, that he gets traded. Let's just hope the Ducks get something decent in return.

That's true mardy. I not happy about it, but once the dirty laundry goes public there's no going back... he's gone. I sure hope Bob can make this right for us, without Bobby or Selanne we don't have any pure goal scorers.

If Bobby is traded, then Selanne must have agreed for one more year, then he leaves and Bob bet all his money on our young prospects making the cut next season. Pretty risky, eh. Not like the Bob who always played it safe.

If Bobby is traded, then Selanne must have agreed for one more year, then he leaves and Bob bet all his money on our young prospects making the cut next season. Pretty risky, eh. Not like the Bob who always played it safe.

Actually the extra money allows the team to go for a big fish if they want. It would also make sure the team has the money to resign Perry/Getz which in my opinion are very very important.

Trading him is what's best for him and the team?

I guess I could be wrong but I would think scoring 50 goals next year for the Ducks and winning a stanley cup would be a pretty good option.

Can't help but wonder if Sather and Holmgren threw out Bobbys name to screw with Howson and his asking price for Nash. To drive down the price. Which would suck indefinitely if BM had no intention of shopping Bobby. Now with a disgruntled Bobby...

Oh the joy... The joy, of being boned.

For Bobby I have the worlds smallest violin playing for him. For Murray, if he's traded it better improve the team otherwise it will set the franchise back.

Can't help but wonder if Sather and Holmgren threw out Bobbys name to screw with Howson and his asking price for Nash. To drive down the price. Which would suck indefinitely if BM had no intention of shopping Bobby. Now with a disgruntled Bobby...

Oh the joy... The joy, of being boned.

Very plausible. That would be a dirty way to alienate a franchise player. No fault to Murray at that point, although he'd still have been a stand up guy and smoothed it out with Bobby before it went public.

Very plausible. That would be a dirty way to alienate a franchise player. No fault to Murray at that point, although he'd still have been a stand up guy and smoothed it out with Bobby before it went public.

Another possible crappy situation. Other GM's now see Bobby as a disgruntled player who wants out. And will use that against BM. Probably why Howson hasn't moved Nash yet. Other GM's might look on like "Hey, we would like Player X, but we don't have to trade for him. While you are stuck in a situation where you NEED to trade unhappy player x."

Ducks don't need to trade Bobby, but if he's unhappy? And questioning his time here day-to-day? Is he going to give 100%? He said he's taking it personally. So his drive to help a team that he feels personally boned by... Could be up for question.

Situation is stupid. And it seemingly gets more stupid day to day.

Another possible crappy situation. Other GM's now see Bobby as a disgruntled player who wants out. And will use that against BM. Probably why Howson hasn't moved Nash yet. Other GM's might look on like "Hey, we would like Player X, but we don't have to trade for him. While you are stuck in a situation where you NEED to trade unhappy player x."

Ducks don't need to trade Bobby, but if he's unhappy? And questioning his time here day-to-day? Is he going to give 100%? He said he's taking it personally. So his drive to help a team that he feels personally boned by... Could be up for question.

Situation is stupid. And it seemingly gets more stupid day to day.

I could buy that.

Or... Murray just threw Bobby out there to use as the catalyst for swinging big deals, and he got shut down by other GMs. Now he's alienated one of his few star players, and struck out in dealing him. Rock and a hard place.

I'll look for his desperation deal to come. And my hopes are low.

What is really poopy about all of this is when the rumors started everything I read gave the impression "the Ducks arent shopping him. Other teams are the ones initiating contact but the Ducks are listening." To mean this all means that Murray isn't shopping him but doesnt consider him untouchable.

So now after this interview it comes off as Bobby getting mad that other teams want his services and Murray is willing to listen to their offer. This article makes it sound like the Duck can't get rid of him fast enough which I doubt is the case.

I think a lot of us saw this coming from a mile away.

What is really poopy about all of this is when the rumors started everything I read gave the impression "the Ducks arent shopping him. Other teams are the ones initiating contact but the Ducks are listening." To mean this all means that Murray isn't shopping him but doesnt consider him untouchable.

So now after this interview it comes off as Bobby getting mad that other teams want his services and Murray is willing to listen to their offer. This article makes it sound like the Duck can't get rid of him fast enough which I doubt is the case.

That's the impression I walked away with.

I think a lot of us saw this coming from a mile away.

I thought he was more mature and had more character than this. Whatever the truth is behind the curtain, these comments are incredibly unprofessional. He was my favorite player on and off the ice. Now I'd rather see him whine on another team.

Bobby is paid very well for what he does. That is a sign of faith and respect.

The quote about him taking things personally says it all.

I'm very dissapointed.

I read the article. I do not see Ryan being a "drama queen". I am sure he understands that a lot of teams would want his services but it has to be frustrating to constantly be mentioned as trade bait and it just reach the point where there is nothing he can do but not care. I want Ryan to stay a Duck and I think he will stay a Duck.

It is kind of fun to speculate what we could trade him for. Unfortunately, that is what the media is doing and it has been blown out of proportion. If BM is going to trade him or not trade him, he needs to talk to Ryan before this situation becomes a now win scenario for everyone involved.

Regardless, I think Ryan is a good player and a good teammate. The Ducks have good prospects. We the fans and the media just need to be patient until the prospects develop. The future is bright, let's not destroy it by making short-term unwise decisions now.

Yeah. How dare he want to feel wanted on a team and organization he plays for (consistently, by the way). I say, if there is any kind of underachieving by Bobby, it's because of the stupid tentativeness by Murray to keep him or not. And it's getting into Bobby's head. They need to make up their minds. Once Bobby's home gets settled, I expect him to be the Bobby we all know and love.... wherever that should be. My heart is praying he stays in a Ducks sweater. But the Ducks management sounds as dumb as this post, so i'm pretty nervous.

Anaheim selected him #2 overall. Developed him into the player he is today. Stood firm on a 5 year deal when Ryan wanted a shorter one. Is paying him a very handsome salary.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

The Ducks have done more for Bobby Ryan than almost any other player on the roster not named Teemu Selanne and it's still not enough. How can you defend Ryan after what he mouthed off today? He's totally screwed the Ducks.

I read the article. I do not see Ryan being a "drama queen". I am sure he understands that a lot of teams would want his services but it has to be frustrating to constantly be mentioned as trade bait and it just reach the point where there is nothing he can do but not care. I want Ryan to stay a Duck and I think he will stay a Duck.

It is kind of fun to speculate what we could trade him for. Unfortunately, that is what the media is doing and it has been blown out of proportion. If BM is going to trade him or not trade him, he needs to talk to Ryan before this situation becomes a now win scenario for everyone involved.

Regardless, I think Ryan is a good player and a good teammate. The Ducks have good prospects. We the fans and the media just need to be patient until the prospects develop. The future is bright, let's not destroy it by making short-term unwise decisions now.

"I'm ready to be traded, preferably to the Flyers" - Bobby Ryan

I don't care how frustrated you are, you don't screw over your own team and teammates by making a statement like that. Maybe Bobby Ryan should have talked to Murray before mouthing off...