The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DuckNinja

Another Lockout?

Nah I am thinking mid October the latest. The preseason will just be cut short. Plus the players agreed to play even if a deal isnt made by september 15th.

I tend to think that's just the players trying to look good for the fans. They probably know the owners won't go for it. When the 15th rolls around, the players can say they were willing to play but the owners didn't let them.

The players should put an offer that says, "we'll accept anything the owners propose on the condition that Bettman steps down"

Now that would make some interesting news

Soon to be 3 strikes/lockouts under his watch. It's time for new leadership.

Nah I am thinking mid October the latest. The preseason will just be cut short. Plus the players agreed to play even if a deal isnt made by september 15th.

Even if there is a short pre-season, teams will still need to have training camps, and it will take a while to adjust the schedule.

Of course the players agreed to play on - because the current deal is working for them. There would be no incentive for the players to reach a deal on a new CBA if the owners agreed to let the current CBA stand for a year. We would be right back in the same place again in 1 year.

Soon to be 3 strikes/lockouts under his watch. It's time for new leadership.

He has been great for the owners, and they are the ones who pay his salary so why would they get rid of him?

He has been great for the owners, and they are the ones who pay his salary so why would they get rid of him?

Doesn't his salary come from HRR? If so, the fans pay his salary and he needs to be told "you are fired/"

Doesn't his salary come from HRR? If so, the fans pay his salary and he needs to be told "you are fired/"

In the same way that the manager of a Wal-Mart has their salary paid by the people who shop there. That doesn't mean the customers can fire him.

Bettman got the owners what they wanted in 2005 - a salary cap. He is getting the job done for them. Realistically there is no way Bettman loses his job over another lockout.

Interestingly, Eklund is reporting that training camps and pre-season could go ahead before a lockout is imposed.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Source-Possible-the-NHL-Extends-the-Lockout-Deadline-and-Camps-Open/1/46504

thanks for the link, i hope it happens and we can get the season on a roll.........

Interestingly, Eklund is reporting that training camps and pre-season could go ahead before a lockout is imposed.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Source-Possible-the-NHL-Extends-the-Lockout-Deadline-and-Camps-Open/1/46504

Eklund is right as often as a broken clock.

I can't see this happening for several reasons. If the sides are as far apart as it appears, the owners certainly know that an agreement is not possible in the next couple of weeks. So the lockout is clearly on their radar. They're meeting Thursday, and could authorize the lockout then.

It seems to me that they risk giving the fans and the players another kick in the guts if they go ahead with training camp and the preseason, and then pull the plug the last day of September.

If history is any indication, my dog has more reliable sources than Eklund.

Eklund is right as often as a broken clock.

I can't see this happening for several reasons. If the sides are as far apart as it appears, the owners certainly know that an agreement is not possible in the next couple of weeks. So the lockout is clearly on their radar. They're meeting Thursday, and could authorize the lockout then.

It seems to me that they risk giving the fans and the players another kick in the guts if they go ahead with training camp and the preseason, and then pull the plug the last day of September.

If history is any indication, my dog has more reliable sources than Eklund.

Oh, I agree with you. But the article was related to what we were talking about, so I threw it up.

Eklund has actually been one of the most sane and reasoned writers so far when talking about the lockout, which is a said indictment on the rest of the media I think.

Another new proposal, still far, far apart. Get ready folks, this could be a long one.

Both sides are starting to make concessions (finally). The NHL gave up the re-definition of HRR (which was huge) and offered a lesser term of 6 years. The NHLPA indicated they are willing to accept a lower percentage of revenues.

BUT the NHL seems to have moved far more than the players have - their offer has gone from a 43/57 split in favor of the owners to a 49/51 split, yet the players have only moved 1% from their original offer. The league seems willing to compromise a lot more than the players right now. To be honest, I don't see the players getting a better deal than this except for maybe an extra percentage point in HRR. The owners hold all the power. The players could hold out and end up getting a worse deal than what is on the table right now.

Both sides are starting to make concessions (finally). The NHL gave up the re-definition of HRR (which was huge) and offered a lesser term of 6 years. The NHLPA indicated they are willing to accept a lower percentage of revenues.

BUT the NHL seems to have moved far more than the players have - their offer has gone from a 43/57 split in favor of the owners to a 49/51 split, yet the players have only moved 1% from their original offer. The league seems willing to compromise a lot more than the players right now. To be honest, I don't see the players getting a better deal than this except for maybe an extra percentage point in HRR. The owners hold all the power. The players could hold out and end up getting a worse deal than what is on the table right now.

i agree, when i first read the new proposal i started to get a little excited because i thought it looked pretty good, not great, but not bad. And now i think the ball is in the players' court at this point.

In order for a deal to get done, the players are actually going to have to negotiate! Right now it seems like they are just submitting the same offer every time with a few tweaks. Really, you went from a 57/43 split to a 56/44 split? Tell me more!

As a fan who pays the salaries for the players, I'm with the owners. They are the ones who have a financial risk and us fans are the ones who get the brunt of the stick whenever ticket prices go up to cover these million dollar contracts. I'm tired of hearing how the players are not getting a good deal when they are getting paid millions of dollars to play the best GAME on earth. Greed?

Cue the ranting.....

Also Can't stand unions either. I think they are the downfall of lots of companies and government enties. For instance, the city of San Bernardino filed for bankrupcy in this tough economy, however if city services seize they are still obligated to pay out the millions of dollars to city workers for doing nothing....They used to be needed back when workers were working in truly unhealthy work environments such as coal mines and getting black lung disease. They used to serve a true purpose and help such unfortunate people have a voice But now only serve to get rich on the backs of hardworking individuals.

Rant over....

As a fan who pays the salaries for the players, I'm with the owners. They are the ones who have a financial risk and us fans are the ones who get the brunt of the stick whenever ticket prices go up to cover these million dollar contracts. I'm tired of hearing how the players are not getting a good deal when they are getting paid millions of dollars to play the best GAME on earth. Greed?

Cue the ranting.....

You side with the Owners who created and broke the NHLs current economic system? The owners who continue to shoot themselves in the foot by allowing these horrible million dollar contracts? The BILLIONAIRE Owners who would rather raise ticket prices than eat some of the losses that they created? The owners are the ones who are greed. They got everything they wanted after the last lockout and blew it and now want the players to pay for the owners ruining the very system they wanted.

donaldfehr_4783-430x298.jpg

Was reading the latest story on TSN about the CBA talks. Saw the picture of Fehr, and guess who was standing behind him looking intimidating? You guessed it! Good "Ol Geoge Parros! Man I am going to miss him!

You side with the Owners who created and broke the NHLs current economic system? The owners who continue to shoot themselves in the foot by allowing these horrible million dollar contracts? The BILLIONAIRE Owners who would rather raise ticket prices than eat some of the losses that they created? The owners are the ones who are greed. They got everything they wanted after the last lockout and blew it and now want the players to pay for the owners ruining the very system they wanted.

Why are people even taking sides? For me, both sides are at fault if they can't get a deal done in time. With this whole player thing about playing under the current CBA, I think was an empty gesture. They had to know the owners would never do that. And it kills me when either side wastes time posturing to the fans acting like the victim. Both sides should be working on this 24/7 if they actually cared about us. Instead they meet once or twice a week. That doesn't say very much about either side.

donaldfehr_4783-430x298.jpg

Was reading the latest story on TSN about the CBA talks. Saw the picture of Fehr, and guess who was standing behind him looking intimidating? You guessed it! Good "Ol Geoge Parros! Man I am going to miss him!

That picture just gave me a terrible flashback to the 94-95 mlb season.

Yeah...I saw that too. Makes me wonder how long it will take hopefully not long.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I've pretty much written the season off since the NHLPA hired Fehr. I think we will be lucky to see any hockey at all this year. If we see any it won't be until at least January.

The thing that piddlees me off most about it is that as fans we lose what may have been the final year of Teemu playing in the NHL. I would not be suprised if he decides to retire if he has to take a full year off.

I've pretty much written the season off since the NHLPA hired Fehr. I think we will be lucky to see any hockey at all this year. If we see any it won't be until at least January.

The thing that piddlees me off most about it is that as fans we lose what may have been the final year of Teemu playing in the NHL. I would not be suprised if he decides to retire if he has to take a full year off.

Im hoping, as a good will gesture to the fans, Samueli will cover a few Jokerit games on KDOC. Better than nothing I suppose. Yet there's probably some conflict of interest somewhere that would prevent that.

Maybe a refund for the Teemu's Back posters. Although it's not a lie, it might as well been false hope.