Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

Lockout 2012-13

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
192 replies to this topic

#1 1getzlaffan

1getzlaffan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:11 AM

Contract and labor negotiations look like they're at a stalemate and the potential for a work stoppage beginning this weekend appears to be more than likely. My question is how can NHL Commish Bettman feel when having to negotiate with NHLPA Fehr and Parros is looming over his shoulder? I'm not at all surprised George is involved with negotiations on some level or another. Word on the street is that he's a savvy individual. Good luck Bettman!

#2 gorbachav5

gorbachav5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

Parros went to Princeton, correct? And he's 6'5, 230? I can't think of anyone I'd rather have with me when negotiating a deal.

"My friend here, Mr. Parros, studied contract law at Princeton and will be part of my advisory team. Also, don't tick him off. He'll punch you through that wall. Now what were you saying about cutting players' salaries?"

Seriously, though, this is a complete gut punch for fans. We JUST went through this eight years ago. You guys couldn't figure this out between then and now? This was our last chance to enjoy Selanne (most likely), and the league is screwing it up.

Edited by gorbachav5, 13 September 2012 - 08:21 AM.

#3 tonyeroberts

tonyeroberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:54 AM

Parros went to Princeton, correct? And he's 6'5, 230? I can't think of anyone I'd rather have with me when negotiating a deal.

"My friend here, Mr. Parros, studied contract law at Princeton and will be part of my advisory team. Also, don't tick him off. He'll punch you through that wall. Now what were you saying about cutting players' salaries?"

Seriously, though, this is a complete gut punch for fans. We JUST went through this eight years ago. You guys couldn't figure this out between then and now? This was our last chance to enjoy Selanne (most likely), and the league is screwing it up.

This is the part that really gets me. I can (almost) understand waiting until the season is over to start the negotiations, but how long did it take after the season ended to start talks? We've all known about this forever. How was this not #1 on the priority list for all parties?

#4 wataduk

wataduk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

This is the part that really gets me. I can (almost) understand waiting until the season is over to start the negotiations, but how long did it take after the season ended to start talks? We've all known about this forever. How was this not #1 on the priority list for all parties?

You mean cut their vacations short and totally ruin their summer? Puhlease. :rolleyes:

Once again they (both players and owners) have proven that they do not give a rats a$$ about the fans because they know that, like sheep, they will come back to the game no matter what. Except, this time, not me. Not right away anyway. I normally attend 10-12 games a year and have been a season ticket holder in the past. This year, if and when the season happens, I will go to maybe 2-3 games and that's it.

3rd season interruption in 14 years from the pro league that can least afford to alienate it's meager fan base? Screw em!

#5 streamline

streamline

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:25 AM

You mean cut their vacations short and totally ruin their summer? Puhlease. :rolleyes:

Once again they (both players and owners) have proven that they do not give a rats a$$ about the fans because they know that, like sheep, they will come back to the game no matter what. Except, this time, not me. Not right away anyway. I normally attend 10-12 games a year and have been a season ticket holder in the past. This year, if and when the season happens, I will go to maybe 2-3 games and that's it.

3rd season interruption in 14 years from the pro league that can least afford to alienate it's meager fan base? Screw em!

absolutely agree, i renewed my season tix after the selanne announcement, and if this goes on until december+(most likely will), i intend on selling a lot of them, not to return the next season.

Edited by streamline, 13 September 2012 - 11:25 AM.

#6 streamline

streamline

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

owners unanimously voted in favor with proceeding with lockout, pigs.

#7 HockeyIzCool

HockeyIzCool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:36 PM

I realize it does come as a surprise and disappointment to some, because I got ridiculed and was told I was being too negative when I predicted this many weeks ago, but the writing has been on the wall for this lockout since July.

The only question has been and will continu to be, whether they'll be able to agree on something by mid-December, in time to save a partial("Tainted") season.

#8 Iheartducks

Iheartducks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:45 PM

As much as Bettman is to blame, so are the owners. To an extent he can only do what the owners collectively want/offer.

With that in mind I really think we should all email the Samueli's what we thing of the lockout.

#9 Administrator

Administrator

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:43 PM

USA Today Report

#10 colliefan

colliefan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:52 PM

USA Today Report

With the NHL and NHL Players' Association stalemated and a lockout deadline looming Saturday night, players are in danger of losing their paychecks next month

not quite right, they will not get their current paychecks but they will receive the 20% escrow checks that were taken from laast year's pay. Even for a player earning the league minimum of a half mil per year, a check for $100,000 ian't chump change. This assumes he hasn't gone out and bought an expensive boy tpy.

#11 nieder

nieder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,505 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:14 PM

As much as Bettman is to blame, so are the owners. To an extent he can only do what the owners collectively want/offer.

With that in mind I really think we should all email the Samueli's what we thing of the lockout.

At least Bettman and the NHL have conceded ground. The NHLPA continue to offer essentially the same deal with a few tweaks. We are not going to get anywhere near a season until the players are willing to actually bargain.

#12 nieder

nieder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,505 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:58 PM

I'm about to go pick up NHL 13, which might be the closest thing I get to NHL hockey for a few months!

#13 dangle411

dangle411

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:18 PM

I'm about to go pick up NHL 13, which might be the closest thing I get to NHL hockey for a few months!

Already did that. Fantastic game.

#14 Cadenca

Cadenca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:22 AM

Man, I can't take this :( I need hockey in my life! Arghh

#15 Samson_Duck

Samson_Duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

all I'm saying is, since revenue has gone up since the last lock out, why not let the game continue while a new deal is worked out. no games=no money generation. let teams play while a new deal is worked out, that way no games lost and no money is lost and fans are happy. why treat us like that?

#16 dangle411

dangle411

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

all I'm saying is, since revenue has gone up since the last lock out, why not let the game continue while a new deal is worked out. no games=no money generation. let teams play while a new deal is worked out, that way no games lost and no money is lost and fans are happy. why treat us like that?

There'd be no incentive for the players to negotiate if it went that way. Then they would just wait until after the season is over and we'd be right back in the same spot next year. Besides, I have no faith in either side to get something done in that situation.

#17 Kanauhtli

Kanauhtli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

I realize it does come as a surprise and disappointment to some, because I got ridiculed and was told I was being too negative when I predicted this many weeks ago, but the writing has been on the wall for this lockout since July.

The only question has been and will continu to be, whether they'll be able to agree on something by mid-December, in time to save a partial("Tainted") season.

I don't recall ridiculing you but I did disagree. I didn't think both sides were this far apart and I believed the NHL'S initial proposal was a low ball offer just to meet half way. Now we know that both sides are far apart.

Edited by Kanauhtli, 14 September 2012 - 07:18 PM.

#18 Aksun

Aksun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:54 PM

Well too bad. Lockout sucks. This kind of deals should be negotiated well before the deadline. Like, at least a year before the current one expires. Some of the interesting comments from Bettman and Fehr involved that both sides were "using the lockout as a pressure on the other side of the talks". As if it isnt obvious that everyone will loose something if there is a lockout, but most will be lost by the fans. It's pretty silly tbh. Because if they really really really really wanted to play a season of hockey - they would make a deal on time and it would suit both sides.

As it stands, it isnt even worth theorizing that this is a joint conspiracy to make up drama in an attempt to attract attention to the league. It's just plain dumb butt-heading because of $$$ with total disregard for the fans. And this is sad and ugly :( I guess it's some reason to check out my native KHL then. Nicky Hagman playing for HC Lokomotiv! And they already won 3 games!

Blargh, who am I kidding, GIEF US DUCK HOCKEY NAO!!!!1111

The only kind of hockey I want is Duck Hockey, seriously, dont make me a sad panda, please :(

#19 wataduk

wataduk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

can we all come over to your house to watch you play? It may be the closest thing to NHL action we are going to see for a long time. :D

#20 duckshockey

duckshockey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:21 PM

I say we as hockey fans go to the nhl facebook page and unlike the NHL AND THE NHLPA!

AnaheimDucks.com is the official Web site of the Anaheim Ducks. Anaheim Ducks and AnaheimDucks.com are trademarks of Anaheim Ducks Hockey Club, LLC. NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 Anaheim Ducks Hockey Club, LLC and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy     Contact Us    Jobs     Honda Center    Corporate Partnerships   Terms of Use   Site Map AdChoices