The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1getzlaffan

Lockout 2012-13

I've posted this before, but my heart goes out to the people that make a living at these arenas in whatever capacity and are now laid off or unemployed. No matter what deal is cut, the players and owners will have it made but not the poor slob that needs this job to feed his/her family. Sorry if that sounds a little dramatic, but it is true. Even Obama contacted the principals involved and encouraged them to iron out a deal.

So yes, I feel bad for us the fans, myself included, but to us it is our favorite sport we are missing and it is frustrating but for some, it is stressful because they need a job. AMD you know what also irritates me? Fehr, Bettman and the gang will probably get this ironed out right after the season is supposed to end like the last time they a season long lockout. Disgusting! Get the ball rolling and do it now. Question: Is there anyway they can do a short term deal, go back to playing hockey and then reconvene at the end of the season or does it have to be a 7 year contract?

I've posted this before, but my heart goes out to the people that make a living at these arenas in whatever capacity and are now laid off or unemployed. No matter what deal is cut, the players and owners will have it made but not the poor slob that needs this job to feed his/her family. Sorry if that sounds a little dramatic, but it is true. Even Obama contacted the principals involved and encouraged them to iron out a deal.

So yes, I feel bad for us the fans, myself included, but to us it is our favorite sport we are missing and it is frustrating but for some, it is stressful because they need a job. AMD you know what also irritates me? Fehr, Bettman and the gang will probably get this ironed out right after the season is supposed to end like the last time they a season long lockout. Disgusting! Get the ball rolling and do it now. Question: Is there anyway they can do a short term deal, go back to playing hockey and then reconvene at the end of the season or does it have to be a 7 year contract?

Spot on.

Interesting tidbits Ive seen over the last day or two:

But a funny thing happened this week. Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts column went up earlier this week and kind of turned those suppositions on their ears. He named Jacobs as the likely Lex Luthor of this lockout (to the surprise of absolutely no one), and also implicated Leonsis as being complicit in heavily pushing the owners' agenda. But it turns out that it's — perhaps logically — not the owners in the markets where teams are actually making money that want the lockout to continue for the betterment of their bottom lines three or five years from now.

Friedman says an educated guess has the owners of the Anaheim Ducks, Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, Florida Panthers, New York Islanders, Phoenix Coyotes (which makes sense since you-know-who is calling the shots there), St. Louis Blues and Washington Capitals as the ones who are being the real hardliners in all this.

What do those teams have in common? With a few exceptions in various areas, no one gives a rat's ass about them, they're poorly managed to begin with, they're guilty of giving out cap-circumventing contracts, and they stink.

Let's just go down the list here of the various teams who have Bettman's back through thick and thin because they believe the league as it stands now needs to change, no matter what the ultimate cost this season.

• Anaheim finished 25th in the league last season and 17th in 2009-10, and would likely have done the same in 2010-11 if not for an absurd hot streak by Corey Perry (who's on a frontloaded deal). They're a team that has been 24th or lower in league attendance in each of the last three seasons despite being within $5 million of the cap in all of them. They're a team that's managed alarmingly poorly, almost running a 40-goal scorer out of town on many occasions and taking an "it'll take care of itself" attitude toward its defense. Their GM has managed what was just a few years ago a very good team pretty much into the ground and seems unlikely to re-sign both or indeed either of Ryan Getzlaf or Corey Perry, and again, might still trade Bobby Ryan for scrap. "So please," says Ducks owner Henry Samulei, "protect Bob Murray from himself."

Full Puckdaddy Article

I don't agree with all of the comments regarding ANA management.

Does not take into account the Burke fiasco.

Agreed. That's a terrible take on Anaheim and some of the other franchises mentioned as well. Heck, it's a terrible article period.

Wow, that article really was awful. The writer has no idea about most (I'm guessing any) of the franchises that he is bagging.

Little off topic but do anyone know what will happen to the signing bonuses of Weber/Parise and company?

If they will lose those bonuses was this just a big hoax by the owners because they knew already that we will miss a season?

I don't agree with all of the comments regarding ANA management.

Does not take into account the Burke fiasco.

Agreed. That's a terrible take on Anaheim and some of the other franchises mentioned as well. Heck, it's a terrible article period.

Wow, that article really was awful. The writer has no idea about most (I'm guessing any) of the franchises that he is bagging.

Agreed on all 3 counts. I will admit I was a bit surprised by Freidman putting Samueli in the hardliners but I when I think about it, it does make sense for him.

Oh my goodness Perry is so overpaid with his back-loaded contract. A bum like Perry has no business making more than $3.5MM a year. Poorly written article that has no actual evidence to support the claim.

It's probably been posted here already, but I think what we're looking at could be considered collusion between some of the owners, even if it wasn't spoken about verbally. The signing of so many large contracts up to the end of the last CBA, knowing in the back of their minds that they would never honer these contracts in full, with a new CBA in the horizon, and salary rollbacks the main focus of.

We can all but assure that this season is gone.. Unbelievable: 2 lost seasons in 7 years..that's the epitome of being dysfunctional. I've heard some things floating around that Jerry Jacobs was quoted that he believes there might be a chance that the lockout will continue for 2 years. Lets face it, the owners are in this for the long haul.. I wonder if the possibility (once the new CBA is reached) of a few expansion teams in the north, and the expansions fees that are spread among st to the owners, are also in their minds. Some of the franchises can weather this storm. I just don't feel that Anaheim is one of them. There is no way that they could support this. On top of it, Anaheim didn't get an NBA franchise like it wanted, and the new tenant fees that go with it, which would help things right now. They are also looking for a return on their investments with the millions they spent purchasing all the local hockey rinks; not by people just playing hockey, but but kids/parents and fans showing up to the arena for Ducks games.

I cant help shake the feeling that the game is trying moving up north, and I don't think NBC signed off on game of the week "Calgary vs Manitoba". The NHL has lost all of its momentum, and it's hard to imagine how it, and our Ducks franchise, will reappear from all of this.

It's probably been posted here already, but I think what we're looking at could be considered collusion between some of the owners, even if it wasn't spoken about verbally. The signing of so many large contracts up to the end of the last CBA, knowing in the back of their minds that they would never honer these contracts in full, with a new CBA in the horizon, and salary rollbacks the main focus of.

We can all but assure that this season is gone.. Unbelievable: 2 lost seasons in 7 years..that's the epitome of being dysfunctional. I've heard some things floating around that Jerry Jacobs was quoted that he believes there might be a chance that the lockout will continue for 2 years. Lets face it, the owners are in this for the long haul.. I wonder if the possibility (once the new CBA is reached) of a few expansion teams in the north, and the expansions fees that are spread among st to the owners, are also in their minds. Some of the franchises can weather this storm. I just don't feel that Anaheim is one of them. There is no way that they could support this. On top of it, Anaheim didn't get an NBA franchise like it wanted, and the new tenant fees that go with it, which would help things right now. They are also looking for a return on their investments with the millions they spent purchasing all the local hockey rinks; not by people just playing hockey, but but kids/parents and fans showing up to the arena for Ducks games.

I cant help shake the feeling that the game is trying moving up north, and I don't think NBC signed off on game of the week "Calgary vs Manitoba". The NHL has lost all of its momentum, and it's hard to imagine how it, and our Ducks franchise, will reappear from all of this.

You're bang on that the owners are in it for the long haul... it's their league and for all intents and purposes, it's their game in North America as well. The only teams losing money during the lockout are the ones that were making the most.

That said, the key to financial success for the Ducks is probably the combination of a winning hockey program along with a NBA franchise. I don't know that the later is completely out of the picture as the Samueli's have a massive personal war chest and in the end, it's all about money.

I think we'll see hockey this season, pretty much on the owners terms.

Besides, although the Ducks regularly are somewhat in the red annually, the team still has a ton of worth to the Samuellis because of franchise appreciation, no? I mean, they could just sell the team off right now and still consider it a major success, isn't that so?

And isn't also better for them to have the Ducks occupy the building 41 nights in a year in addition to the BIG concerts that the Honda Center is always host to (got my ticket for Springsteen next month; I'm already dreading the traffic)? I'm sure since they essentially own the building that the concerts alone probably compensate for whatever operating loss the Ducks play at.

I've never particularly cared for anything written by Ryan Lambert.

..just sayin'

I agree with you there. His writing is trash, I only posted it due to Elliot Friedman's comments that the Ducks where in the hardliners category. He is an excellent writer. I should have posted Friedmans article that Lambert referenced.

Besides, although the Ducks regularly are somewhat in the red annually, the team still has a ton of worth to the Samuellis because of franchise appreciation, no? I mean, they could just sell the team off right now and still consider it a major success, isn't that so?

And isn't also better for them to have the Ducks occupy the building 41 nights in a year in addition to the BIG concerts that the Honda Center is always host to (got my ticket for Springsteen next month; I'm already dreading the traffic)? I'm sure since they essentially own the building that the concerts alone probably compensate for whatever operating loss the Ducks play at.

You're correct on both counts. They could lose 5 million a year for the next 10 straight years and still come out deep in the black, and the Ducks lease on the arena is essentially makes them a golden tennant.

Honestly, I think many of the small market owners are standing strong in part to keep their respective franchises semi-competitive.

Looks like Fowler will be signing in Sweden soon.

Read in the news here in Sweden that Fowler will play for Sodertalje SK here in Sweden as long as the lockout lasts, have also checked on Sodertalje SK´s homepage and they have Cam listed on their roster already, he will wear number 44.

http://www.sodertalj...pen.asp?PID=288

Used Google translate so some stuff have been translated a bit .. oddly:

Cam Fowler - a Fans dude!

[2012-11-14] SSK's fans have once again shown tremendous vigor, a drive that now via campaign Fans dude has created conditions for the SSK can now present a real class defenseman - Cameron Fowler!

Cam has only 20 years old, a fantastic track record with gold in both the World Cup for the J18 to J20, two World Championship game as a senior for the U.S., two seasons as a regular in the Anaheim Ducks (164 matches, 73p) and a newly written five-year contract with the club. Now he is ready to play in the Södertälje Sportklubb as long lockout in progress.

Per Nygårds a comment

- It is really unbelievable that we can get a guy of this caliber. Just look at his track record you understand what the character Cam has and while it's easy to forget that he is only 20 years. I've only heard good things about Cam and he is such a guy who really wants an incredible amount of his hockey. He contributes every day and have offensive qualities that are hard to beat and a skating is really strong. He's one of those guys who has an amazing ability to carry the puck at high speed and provide both creative attacking solutions that conclusion.

I would also add that SSK's fans is something extraordinary with regard to set up when it is needed most. Is there something similar? I do not know it. Many thanks to those who made ​​this possible!

Cam Fowler a comment

- I'm really happy to soon be able to play hockey again and look incredibly much forward to play with Sodertalje Sportklubb. I am impressed and honored fans' amazing initiative!

Great take from Bill Simmons..especially since he's a basketball guy.

http://www.grantland...st-go-away-gary

Why are url links in white? I cant see my link above

Here's the url:

www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8639525/just-go-away-gary

It appears that somewhere in the translation from our older version of ip to the new one, the color for the imbedded links is hidden until you point at it. I've let the powers designing everything that it is happening, and we'll see if they can figure it out. I've tried all the font formatting, and it still doesn't show up, I will post in the message board comments forums when it is corrected.

When I post a link, I go back and edit so it shows up between > < to at least highlight it so people know the link is there.

Sorry, but I'm not in on the scheme designs.

Read in the news here in Sweden that Fowler will play for Sodertalje SK here in Sweden as long as the lockout lasts, have also checked on Sodertalje SK´s homepage and they have Cam listed on their roster already, he will wear number 44.

http://www.sodertalj...pen.asp?PID=288

2 points and a +4 in his first game. Good way to start, and I'm glad to see him playing hockey again.

Good article admin. I think the season is about to be shortened again because neither side wants to flinch. The owners are still not comprising as much as the players in my mind.