Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

Televising Ahl Games...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 duck123

duck123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:58 AM

So, I know there is no NHL season as of yet, but we can all still be watching NHL caliber-players in the second best league in the world-the AHL. All the NHL Network has to do is to start televising all of the AHL games on a regular basis, as much as they would regular season NHL games.

Every night there is some AHL team playing a game, and so I think every night the NHL should be having their crews at AHL games, and broadcasting games for NHL fans. I think that would at least give hockey fans something to look forward to each night, watching live games of AHL teams. I know the NHL Network like to play re-runs of old NHL games, but who else agrees and would rather watch AHL live games with past NHL or NHL-caliber players? It would give fans at least a bit of NHL-type games to watch.

#2 NiemiWillRise

NiemiWillRise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:30 AM

So, I know there is no NHL season as of yet, but we can all still be watching NHL caliber-players in the second best league in the world-the AHL. All the NHL Network has to do is to start televising all of the AHL games on a regular basis, as much as they would regular season NHL games.

Every night there is some AHL team playing a game, and so I think every night the NHL should be having their crews at AHL games, and broadcasting games for NHL fans. I think that would at least give hockey fans something to look forward to each night, watching live games of AHL teams. I know the NHL Network like to play re-runs of old NHL games, but who else agrees and would rather watch AHL live games with past NHL or NHL-caliber players? It would give fans at least a bit of NHL-type games to watch.

hate to be negative norman here and dont get me wrong or anyhting but R U Tripping? AHL - second best league in the world?!?...

anywhoooooo...if id watch NHL network yes, heck yeah i would watch AHL hockey, theres some great young there this season

#3 Kings_Attack

Kings_Attack

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

Yeah, it is second-best; the KHL kinda blows. Watched parts of a game and it was too soft (I also HATE all that open space).

#4 nieder

nieder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

The NHL Network would have to pay the AHL for the rights. And we all know the NHL is really good at getting financial deals done.

I looked into buying the online package for the AHL, and it costs more than NHL Gamecenter!

#5 Hopewell17

Hopewell17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

I'm a Newbie around here but I've been reading fine hockey minds on these pages like Sojourn, Zther, Mooseduck, duck123, NiemiWillRise et. al. for a few months now. To converse intelligently with them i just spent $200 to get all of Norfolk's games online, and I'd encourage others to also shell it out if they have a home internet connection. It's only about $2.50 per game and then you can have lots of fun analyzing the Ducklings on these pages. Sojourn says Hampus Lindholm is a highly cerebral player, so you got to tune in to see what he's talking about.

#6 duck123

duck123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

I'm a Newbie around here but I've been reading fine hockey minds on these pages like Sojourn, Zther, Mooseduck, duck123, NiemiWillRise et. al. for a few months now. To converse intelligently with them i just spent $200 to get all of Norfolk's games online, and I'd encourage others to also shell it out if they have a home internet connection. It's only about $2.50 per game and then you can have lots of fun analyzing the Ducklings on these pages. Sojourn says Hampus Lindholm is a highly cerebral player, so you got to tune in to see what he's talking about.

Welcome Hopewell17. That is a great idea, to get the Norfolk's games online. I might have to do that sometime. It is neat to know Hampus Lindholm is a highly intelligent player. With him and Vatanen playing for the Ducks in the future, along with already having youngsters' Fowler and Sbisa, the Ducks are looking to have a great defense. Looks like there would have been no room for Justin Schultz (not to stir up that pot again B)).

#7 nieder

nieder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

costs more then NHL?...would it be the other way around?.

DuckPride 4ever
MooseDuck

No, the AHL package costs more.

#8 Sojourn

Sojourn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

Hopewell, did you get to catch the game tonight(last night now, I guess)?

#9 Hopewell17

Hopewell17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

Hopewell, did you get to catch the game tonight(last night now, I guess)?

I did. I don't know if I should be advising people to buy the $200 season package. The feed was lousy for about 15 minutes. But in the 45 minutes that I saw Holland looked great. Palmieri had a powerful slap shot that found the back of the net. Lindholm got his first goal. Lasch got some playing time. Caputi is an assist machine. Young Wagner retaliated against a clean hit and got a penalty that he should have avoided getting. Now we have to get Brandon McMillian producing points.

Binghamton's Mark Stone, who is one of Ottawa's top prospects, was scratched for a second straight game, so the added NHL talent to the AHL this year will reduce playing time for the hot young prospects. It's best to rotate guys to distribute the minutes fairly, but at the moment I like the following combo for our top three lines:

Palmieri, Holland, Maroon
Etem, Elkins, Caputi
Bodie, McMillian, DSP

I might have DSP on the top pp unit, but not on the top line, and on the top power play unit, and on the top penalty kill unit. Last year Randy Carlyle elevated DSP over Palmieri, Etem and Maroon with so-so results. Long term DSP is of course better than Bodie and Caputi, but right now Bodie and Caputi might be better than DSP. I'm not disparaging DSP, but he gets a lot of ice time at the expense of other good players.

#10 Sojourn

Sojourn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

I did. I don't know if I should be advising people to buy the $200 season package. The feed was lousy for about 15 minutes. But in the 45 minutes that I saw Holland looked great. Palmieri had a powerful slap shot that found the back of the net. Lindholm got his first goal. Lasch got some playing time. Caputi is an assist machine. Young Wagner retaliated against a clean hit and got a penalty that he should have avoided getting. Now we have to get Brandon McMillian producing points.

Yeah, the feed isn't all that hot. I think part of the season package price comes from the overall lack of TV coverage. Makes it harder to get feeds. This is pure speculation on my part though.

I thought Holland, Palmieri, and Lindholm were the best players last night. Lindholm was a bit more active in making plays, and I really liked what he was showing in all three zones. He's just super smart. Holland and Palmieri just seem to make a good pair. Holland really seems to be coming into his own, and he was all over the ice, and Palmieri reminds me a bit of Perry(lite version). I'd love to see the two of them get a shot playing together when the lockout ends.

Holland, Rakell, and Wagner have me thinking the Ducks could be pretty decent down the middle soon. That's great if true, since that's been a weakness at the NHL level.

Binghamton's Mark Stone, who is one of Ottawa's top prospects, was scratched for a second straight game, so the added NHL talent to the AHL this year will reduce playing time for the hot young prospects. It's best to rotate guys to distribute the minutes fairly, but at the moment I like the following combo for our top three lines:

Palmieri, Holland, Maroon
Etem, Elkins, Caputi
Bodie, McMillian, DSP

I might have DSP on the top pp unit, but not on the top line, and on the top power play unit, and on the top penalty kill unit. Last year Randy Carlyle elevated DSP over Palmieri, Etem and Maroon with so-so results. Long term DSP is of course better than Bodie and Caputi, but right now Bodie and Caputi might be better than DSP. I'm not disparaging DSP, but he gets a lot of ice time at the expense of other good players.

I'm not entirely convinced Carlyle was the one who elevated DSP over Palmieri. That decision struck me more as a management decision, and keep in mind Boudreau did the same thing. Murray seemed to already have DSP on the team before training camp even began. For whatever reason, the Ducks really wanted DSP on the team. Not that DSP isn't a good young prospect, because he is, but I certainly didn't see him as a better, more NHL-ready player than Palmieri. I thought he was promoted ahead of players who had shown more. I also agree that this seems to be the case in the AHL too. DSP is being given every option to succeed, and it's been at the expense of others. I've been pleased with his game, but I'm also a little disappointed that, despite being handed opportunity on a silver platter, he hasn't stood out more. This all seems contrary to how Anaheim has handled prospects in the past. It's never been an easy road into the NHL for Anaheim prospects, but for some reason DSP seems to have been put in the express lane.

#11 Hopewell17

Hopewell17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

P.S. Carlyle also elevated DSP over Holland, and Holland is simply a better player than DSP. Carlyle's decision to promote the 19-year-old DSP over more established players seemed perverse at the time and still does. If a coach rewards one player over more deserving players, he hurts team chemistry and risks having his team go on losing streaks.

#12 Hopewell17

Hopewell17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

Yeah, the feed isn't all that hot. I think part of the season package price comes from the overall lack of TV coverage. Makes it harder to get feeds. This is pure speculation on my part though.

I thought Holland, Palmieri, and Lindholm were the best players last night. Lindholm was a bit more active in making plays, and I really liked what he was showing in all three zones. He's just super smart. Holland and Palmieri just seem to make a good pair. Holland really seems to be coming into his own, and he was all over the ice, and Palmieri reminds me a bit of Perry(lite version). I'd love to see the two of them get a shot playing together when the lockout ends.

Holland, Rakell, and Wagner have me thinking the Ducks could be pretty decent down the middle soon. That's great if true, since that's been a weakness at the NHL level.

I'm not entirely convinced Carlyle was the one who elevated DSP over Palmieri. That decision struck me more as a management decision, and keep in mind Boudreau did the same thing. Murray seemed to already have DSP on the team before training camp even began. For whatever reason, the Ducks really wanted DSP on the team. Not that DSP isn't a good young prospect, because he is, but I certainly didn't see him as a better, more NHL-ready player than Palmieri. I thought he was promoted ahead of players who had shown more. I also agree that this seems to be the case in the AHL too. DSP is being given every option to succeed, and it's been at the expense of others. I've been pleased with his game, but I'm also a little disappointed that, despite being handed opportunity on a silver platter, he hasn't stood out more. This all seems contrary to how Anaheim has handled prospects in the past. It's never been an easy road into the NHL for Anaheim prospects, but for some reason DSP seems to have been put in the express lane.

I can't really tell one defenseman from another half the time. In hockey they should put the numbers on players like they do in football, on the front, back and on their shoulders. Whatever subtle things Vatanen and Lindholm are doing or not doing, i'm missing it on the screen. Vatanen is the most noticeable defenseman because he's always making the most extraordinarily shifty moves when carrying the puck toward the net.

I'm big on rolling 4 scoring lines when the Ducks start up again. I suppose there's a place for guys like Staubitz, but Maroon is sort of an enforcer, plus he can score. I hate to pick on DSP, he seems like a class act all the way, a great kid, great smile, but he's no fighter and I've yet to see him really smack anyone with a clean hit. All the same I'd rather have DSP and Etem on the Duck's roster over Staubitz and the next best 4th line fighter that the Ducks have. In theory a coach can always get in a player's grill and tell him to be more aggressive, but it doesn't work when a coach gets in someone's grill and tells him to be more talented. I like the way New Jersey rolled four scoring lines in the playoffs. If they hadn't run up against Superman in Mr. Quick they would have won it all.

#13 Hopewell17

Hopewell17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

P.S. The attribute that I find most impressive about DSP is the power of his wrist shot. They say he can shatter the glass with it.

#14 Hopewell17

Hopewell17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

If that is true then Our rivals need to watch out ;).

DuckPride 4ever
MooseDuck

I should say `crack' the glass rather than `shatter' it. DSP seems to glide a good deal when he's on the ice. He's always under great control but it also looks like he's only giving 80% effort. I suppose his 1st line duties require him to worry more about being careful with the puck than to be especially aggressive on the forecheck.

#15 Kings_Attack

Kings_Attack

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

but for some reason DSP seems to have been put in the express lane.

Would it somehow partially be trying to insert a little grit with scoring ability into the new, considerably softer Ducks' lineup?

Last season's team was the softest they've been since Disney owned them..and the 2002-2003 team was at least scrappy and tenacious (can't remember the season after even though I watched every game that season).

Of tenuous relevance, why have the Ducks historically had tough times building a decent bottom 6? In a diluted NHL with way more teams than there should be, basically every teams' bottom 6 with the exception of say Boston (who boasts what I think is the best bottom 6 in the NHL), the Ducks' bottom 6 is worse than other teams' which means ours must be quite AWFUL since as everyone knows, the 3rd and 4th lines are a drastic dropoff in quality of competition.

Why is it that they still have depth problems? This isn't the penny-pinching Disney day; this is the investing a lot in the team Samuellis era. There are still a number of decent depth players to be signed for the latter two lines.

#16 KatellaKid

KatellaKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:53 AM

For whatever reason, the Ducks really wanted DSP on the team. Not that DSP isn't a good young prospect, because he is, but I certainly didn't see him as a better, more NHL-ready player than Palmieri. I thought he was promoted ahead of players who had shown more. I also agree that this seems to be the case in the AHL too. DSP is being given every option to succeed, and it's been at the expense of others.

It's not hard to understand. We need to get bigger and stronger right now, DSP outweighs guys like palmieri by almost 25 lbs and he still has one heck of a wrister.

#17 Sojourn

Sojourn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

It's not hard to understand. We need to get bigger and stronger right now, DSP outweighs guys like palmieri by almost 25 lbs and he still has one heck of a wrister.

With all due respect to DSP, I'm not really sure he used his size well enough to stick based on that alone. Anaheim really could have used a player like Palmieri helping provide secondary scoring. I agree with Quack_Attack that the Ducks were soft, but DSP really didn't change that. Sure, he tried to go out there and hit, but it's not like he was some force physically. When it's all said and done, I think Palmieri would have given us a better chance to win games than DSP would... and let's also keep in mind that Palmieri is pretty physical in his own right. If the team is going to get bigger and stronger, they are going to do it by committee. With the team we had, I just think Palmieri made more sense, and would have been more helpful in helping the team win games. He'd already shown himself to be a pretty damn good professional player in the AHL.

I personally think DSP's eligibility had more to do with him making the team than any additional physical game he would provide. I believe Anaheim felt DSP wasn't going to get too much out of playing another season in the CHL, where he was able to manhandle players, but DSP wasn't old enough to be eligible for the AHL. Still, I agree with Hopewell that DSP's elevation has been at the expense of others, and I'm not convinced he's actually better than some of these players he's jumping on the depth chart.

#18 Sojourn

Sojourn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

Of tenuous relevance, why have the Ducks historically had tough times building a decent bottom 6? In a diluted NHL with way more teams than there should be, basically every teams' bottom 6 with the exception of say Boston (who boasts what I think is the best bottom 6 in the NHL), the Ducks' bottom 6 is worse than other teams' which means ours must be quite AWFUL since as everyone knows, the 3rd and 4th lines are a drastic dropoff in quality of competition.

Why is it that they still have depth problems? This isn't the penny-pinching Disney day; this is the investing a lot in the team Samuellis era. There are still a number of decent depth players to be signed for the latter two lines.

I actually think it starts with their issues on the 2nd line. They don't really have a 2nd line that has been consistently dangerous, and that takes all the pressure off of the opposition, as well as putting pressure on our bottom six to produce. Then, to top it off, I think this team has had a bit of an identity problem. Have we even figured out what to expect from the bottom six? I think this lack of identity has us with a bottom six that doesn't really have a defined role, or players who fit into a defined role, so the end result is a bottom six that is decent at things but not particularly good at anything.

Anaheim has been trying to stay on a budget, but they just seem to have spread the available salary around with no clear goal. Every season the team tries to improve in a particular area, and we see a few changes along those lines, but all it seems to have accomplished is that the team is fairly mediocre all-around. It isn't a speed team, or a skill team, or a physical bruising team... it's like it tries to have all of those characteristics at once, which means it really doesn't have any of them.

That's my opinion.

#19 Kings_Attack

Kings_Attack

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

but DSP wasn't old enough to be eligible for the AHL.

Wait..what? Would you mind explaining this one?

#20 Sojourn

Sojourn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:11 PM

Wait..what? Would you mind explaining this one?

A CHL player needs to be 20 years old before he's eligible to play in the AHL. This is to help the CHL retain some of their talent until they've aged out. Unfortunately, this puts some players into a sort of limbo. A player who has little to gain by staying in the CHL, but isn't ready for the NHL yet, really has no place to go.

That's why Lindholm can play in the AHL at 18 years old, but DSP, as a 19 year old, couldn't.

Edited by Sojourn, 05 November 2012 - 11:13 PM.

AnaheimDucks.com is the official Web site of the Anaheim Ducks. Anaheim Ducks and AnaheimDucks.com are trademarks of Anaheim Ducks Hockey Club, LLC. NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 Anaheim Ducks Hockey Club, LLC and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy     Contact Us    Jobs     Honda Center    Corporate Partnerships   Terms of Use   NHL TicketExchange  Site Map AdChoices