Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Retire9

Ryan Parent

5 posts in this topic

He was a high draft pick and had high expectations, where do you put him on the Ducks prospect list. He is on a PTO, he has talent and has played in the NHL.

He wouldn't be very high on our prospect list at all. He's 25 years old, and past the developmental stage. As a player he might be better in the NHL than some of our prospects(and only just barely, if at all), and he might have a more polished game, but that is entirely due to his age, experience, and maturity. Parent is going to be a career AHL'er, who may occasionally get a shot by a team who is willing to take the risk, or has injury problems. He's a bust at the NHL level, and even at the AHL level he's being out-played by defensemen who are quite a bit younger than him.

If he were better at the NHL level, he just might be the type of player Murray would take a shot on, due to his pedigree... in that case, he'd be a 7th defenseman who could sit for long periods. As a player though, we have many superior D prospects, and Lindholm and Vatanen top that list.

I'm curious what you think of Clark, Sojourn? I haven't seen him play this year but he was solid last season for the Crunch.

I think he's been solid so far this season too, Kan. He's definitely heading in the right direction, I think. Clark and Guenin are the first two I'd expect to be called up if we lose a D-man to injuries(I could see Vatanen jumping ahead if Anaheim loses a more offensive guy like Fowler). I don't think we can, or should, expect much from him offensively, but if he can be a physical presence, especially in the D zone, he might find his niche in the NHL. Ideally, I think he could be a slightly more physical O'Donnell type.

Prior to the AHL, I thought he showed a bit more on the offensive side of the game(although he was never particularly great at it), but he hasn't found a way to be effective that way at the AHL level. Right now, I think the safe bet is a depth defenseman, but I still think there is the possibility he becomes a steady top 4 type of guy.

I think he's been solid so far this season too, Kan. He's definitely heading in the right direction, I think. Clark and Guenin are the first two I'd expect to be called up if we lose a D-man to injuries(I could see Vatanen jumping ahead if Anaheim loses a more offensive guy like Fowler). I don't think we can, or should, expect much from him offensively, but if he can be a physical presence, especially in the D zone, he might find his niche in the NHL. Ideally, I think he could be a slightly more physical O'Donnell type.

Prior to the AHL, I thought he showed a bit more on the offensive side of the game(although he was never particularly great at it), but he hasn't found a way to be effective that way at the AHL level. Right now, I think the safe bet is a depth defenseman, but I still think there is the possibility he becomes a steady top 4 type of guy.

I like that he's still improving. I agree that Clark's only hope to make it in the NHL is to build his defensive and physical game. In fact I think Anaheim really needs a defenseman like that because we've missed it since OD left. I know we have Allen now but he won't be around for the next 5+ years like Clark could be.

1 person likes this