Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

A Look At The Norfolk Admirals

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hopewell17

Hopewell17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

With the Duck's and the NHL MIA I have directed my attention this season to the AHL and our Norfolk Admirals. They played in front of 18,000 at Verizon Center last night, losing 2-1 to the Hershey Bears. On the positive side Brandon McMillian scored on a wrister 10 seconds into the game, our goalie Frederick Andersen played superbly, and our penalty kill hasn't given up a goal to Hershey in their last 16 or 17 power plays. Norfolk started the season 4-0, but is now 9-12, in last place of the Eastern Div. of the Eastern Conf. Igor Bobkov's 3.99 GAA has hurt us but Andersen is doing ok at 2.48. In 21 games Kyle Palmieri has a minus 11 in his +/- and Devante Smith-Pelly has a -10. They're playing too many minutes, getting tired, and then getting beat on defense. Pat Marroon is playing the same number of minutes as them but he is even in his +/-. Both Palmieri and DSP are dynamic forecheckers, but not when they are on the ice for many long shifts. If the coaches give more minutes to players like Bodie, Rosehill and Rod Pelly then the Admirals will score fewer goals, but by giving too many minutes to DSP and Palmieri they are definitely giving up too many goals. Norfolk shipped Lasch and Caputi to the ECHL probably because they weren't getting enough playing time in Norfolk. Being 5 foot 7 inches tells coaches Lasch is too short to play in the NHL, so they didn't play him many minutes, and therefore his scoring was miniscule. But he's quick and talented, and if given a chance he would give scoring depth to the team.

If the Ducks can keep their core of Perry, Getzlaff, Ryan and Selanne together next year they should be very good. Etem, Holland, Lindholm, McMillian, Palmieri, Smith-Pelly and Vatanen are all 22 or younger, and all have good to great NHL potential. Marroon and Lasch are a little older. It will be interesting to see if Lasch can make his way to the NHL.

#2 Hopewell17

Hopewell17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

I forgot to include Andersen and Wagner in that group of young NHL potential.

#3 Hopewell17

Hopewell17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

If Selanne, Getzlaf and Perry are gone next year then Ryan, whatever free agent aquisitions we make, and what we have at Norfolk will form the core of next year's forwards. Among Norfolk's forwards I would say that Etem, Holland, Marroon, McMillian, Palmieri, Smith-Pelly and Wagner are ready to go. Etem has become more aggressive in finishing his checks and is valuable on the pk. Holland has 21 points in 21 games. Chris Wagner is outplaying veteran centers like Rod Pelly. Palmieri and DSP are defensive liabilities only because they're getting beat when they are asked to play too many minutes. The formula for Stanley Cup success in recent years - the best way to get the most bang for your buck under the salary cap - has been to have lots of good young players on entry level contracts combined with a few 8 million dollar superstars.

#4 Hopewell17

Hopewell17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

Hopefully Getzlaf,Perry and perhaps Maybe Selanne Stays Ducks need the Right mix to get our team back in restoring Honor and Greatness.

Thanks for your great support of the Ducks, Mooseduck. Lately it seems as if you are the only regular around here who really cares about the future of the Ducks. I hope the others haven't succumbed to Sojourn's pessimism. He sees only mediocrity with our club in the near future. Perhaps the other regulars are distracted by those websites with lots of naughty naked girls. They can be very distracting! Hopefully they will soon come back.

Edited by Hopewell17, 08 December 2012 - 01:33 PM.

#5 Hopewell17

Hopewell17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

Palmieri scores at 7:32 of the first! Binghamton has won 10 straight. So far the lines look to be

McMillian, Pelly, Mitchell
Etem, Wagner, Marroon
Palmieri, Holland, DSP
Bodie, Elkins, ?

#6 Hopewell17

Hopewell17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

Kurtz was the other 4th line winger. It was a good 3-1 win for the Admirals. In the first period Jordan Hendry made a bad mistake in giving up the puck, which led to a Binghamton goal, but he redeemed himself in the second period by scoring a goal on a slap shot. Good to see that Kyle Palmieri was not seriously hurt, at least he returned to action after getting slammed into the boards. Our goalie, Frederick Andersen, played great. Brandon McMillian scored his second goal in two games so it's good to see him coming around. Now if Igor Bobkov can get himself turned around I like the future for this team.

#7 DuckTech

DuckTech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

Hello All, I figured I'd pass this link across for people to read : 

http://sverigesradio...artikel=5497806

Max Friberg is on his way to Norfolk. 

#8 CrosbySux

CrosbySux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

Kinda hard to read that buddy! Lol. Can't wait for Friberg to get to Norfolk. He exploded on to the scene at the juniors two years ago (9 goals in 6 games I believe). When we drafted him, people were saying he could develop into a Holmstrom type player. Gotta like that comparison. Still think he's a couple seasons away. William Karlsson, your next!!!

#9 duxfan1101

duxfan1101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

Norfolk won yesterday 4-3, and Hershey lost, which means Norfolk is currently 2 points up on them for the 8th spot.

For those interested, Stephen Whitney had 2 goals in that game and Maroon had 2 assists.

EDIT: And in addition to what I said, Max Friberg had his first game with the team and was a -1 with no points.

Edited by duxfan1101, 13 April 2013 - 09:36 AM.

#10 duxfan1101

duxfan1101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

And Friberg just scored his first goal!

AnaheimDucks.com is the official Web site of the Anaheim Ducks. Anaheim Ducks and AnaheimDucks.com are trademarks of Anaheim Ducks Hockey Club, LLC. NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 Anaheim Ducks Hockey Club, LLC and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy     Contact Us    Jobs     Honda Center    Corporate Partnerships   Terms of Use   Site Map AdChoices