The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kings_Attack

Sharks Catch All Thread

Wow.

Were the Ducks already eliminated from the playoffs?

LOL. Not to be too glum but the Ducks are probably a first round team only. Especially if it's against the Preds, Sharks, Wings, Kings, Stars, Coyotes...

I'm very proud of the Sharks, but the game against the Ducks they squeaked by thanks to Niemi stopping Perry's shot in OT, and the Oil coming back to tie it up and for a shootout. Still, wins are wins and I can't complain too much.

I frequent the Ducks boards, so you'll see me pop in every now and then. Seems the crowd here has changed over the past couple years though. :)

Go Sharks!

Not that anyone asked me... but I wonder if it's too early to know just how this condensed season will wrap up. My biggest fear is that the schedule will result in far more injuries than usual, resulting in some teams dropping off by the end of February.

And not even "the experts" knew how this season would start out. Prior to the season start, ESPN ranked and placed the Pacific Division teams:

1st Kings

6th Phoenix

14th Ducks

20th Stars

23rd Sharks

Interesting.

Of course, I think LA will rise up and play better and is still the best team in the Pacific. I also expect Phoenix to get their game together too and build off of last year. I have no idea how SJ will fare as the season progresses, but feel that losing a few games will be what gets their game back. Stealing games like they did against the Ducks can reinforce bad habits and commit level.

But I am happy that starting the season without our better mobile, offensive d-men in Brent Burns and Jason Demers hasn't killed us (yet).

Your Ducks are surprising everyone too. But with Boudreau at the helm and a solid core, it shouldn't.

ESPNRankings_zps0cf2d53b.jpg[/img]

QA; I think you and I are similar in how we view our respective teams. We both want team success but spend little time being cheerleaders and prefer to drill down on consistency and team performance.

And I've stopped hating other teams years ago. Because I noticed that as soon as that (dirty) player joined my team, suddenly, it turns out he's actually a pretty respectable guy.

It's going to be another battle tomorrow night in Anaheim....

QA; I think you and I are similar in how we view our respective teams. We both want team success but spend little time being cheerleaders and prefer to drill down on consistency and team performance.

And I've stopped hating other teams years ago. Because I noticed that as soon as that (dirty) player joined my team, suddenly, it turns out he's actually a pretty respectable guy.

If Dustin Brown came to Anaheim I would have to kill myself.

I would gladly welcome that guy....he's all heart and plays with grit and guts. Has some skill too. It's no coincidence that he wears the "C" for LA.

I think so as well. Wins are ultimately worth 2 pts. but I still look for bad habits that might affect the team in the long-run, although I still give credit for wins (sometimes more or less depending on circumstances; say for instance the Ducks won on 3 goals which were dump-ins for line changes that bounced off the glass and went into the empty net 3 different times).

I would gladly welcome that guy....he's all heart and plays with grit and guts. Has some skill too. It's no coincidence that he wears the "C" for LA.

Yeah... he can be an amazing hockey player when he cuts the crap out of his game. Saturday night, Ducks-Kings, I'll be the first to say Brown Town played a solid game. He didn't play his childish antics. But! And there's always that but. His team has been reading his diary. Some straight nut job acting performances happened. I can't imagine that as team captain material.

We've welcomed in open arms some scum before (Pronger, Bertuzzi, Lapierre) but I'd draw the line at Brown. Love me some Perry. But I'll take cheap shot slashes and sitting on a goalie any day over diving like a total tool.

True; I have seen some creative embelishment from Brown. Of course I think many players do it. And by that, I mean world class skaters could probably skate through routine stick checks most of the time, but when they feel it down low, they tend to "trip" and fall down to get the PP. But before you flame me, I know that you are largely referring to last year's playoffs.

On another note, what is with locking threads? I was not able to post my thoughts about last night's match today. In any case, I think the loss is just what the Sharks need. (I expect a sharper game tonight against Chicago) And although that weird bounce off the walls sucked, SJ should have been able to overcome that and play their game. But the tight checking and good defense by the Ducks made things difficult for SJ, and was largely the reason for the outcome.

On the hit by Beleskey, I think that was just a hard fought battle in the corner when he hit and fell on top of Murray. I'm not sure that Matt really wanted to go with Clowe, but give him high marks for standing up to a a pretty tough character.

Over all great game by Anaheim. The Ducks are excelling with the small details of their game and it shows.

Reported in CSN;

Vatanen helps himself

The Ducks recalled defenseman Sami Vatanen from Norfolk recently, with Cam Fowler out with an apparent head injury. Vatanen happened to be staying at the Sharks’ team hotel in Anaheim, and decided he wanted a cup of coffee before heading to the rink.

Rather than find a local Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts, though, Vatanen waltzed right into the Sharks’ pregame snack room, much to the surprise of several players, many of whom had no idea who he was. He poured a cup for the road, and walked out.

.... think he might have poured some NyQuil in the Sharks' coffee when they weren't looking? B)

Reported in CSN;

Vatanen helps himself

The Ducks recalled defenseman Sami Vatanen from Norfolk recently, with Cam Fowler out with an apparent head injury. Vatanen happened to be staying at the Sharks’ team hotel in Anaheim, and decided he wanted a cup of coffee before heading to the rink.

Rather than find a local Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts, though, Vatanen waltzed right into the Sharks’ pregame snack room, much to the surprise of several players, many of whom had no idea who he was. He poured a cup for the road, and walked out.

... think he might have poured some NyQuil in the Sharks' coffee when they weren't looking? B)

Love it.

i'm only saying that out of the 10 or so games i pay attention to watching SJ games, but thats just me, i find hazy and ahlsers to be way non biased but im sure others see it differently.

Ahlers gets an unfair bad rap; I think he's very intelligent, pretty good with commentary and not a homer. Hazy's a homer, but I imagine it's difficult not to be when one is seemingly as involved as he is with the team. He's gotten much better over the years.

There's the good homer (Mickey Redmond, Rick Jeanneret) and then bad homers (Steigerwald).

Randy and Drew are extremely fair; I've probably seen a hundred Sharks games or so and consequently pretty familiar with their work.

Woohoo, Sharks lose. Too bad the officiating once again was the main focus... terrible calls.

On Remenda/Hahn, I think they're normall very good, and not overly biased like many others. However, they were going nuts bashing the officials after the Desjardin and Keith calls. They may have been justified though.

The Sharks aren't looking very good, I think they're coming down to earth. The Hawks looked very good, and that offensive skill will be more than a handful for us. They look to want to open up the game and trade chances, when things tighten up (which we've shown we can), I think they become very beatable.

Yeah... live it up, Ducks' fans. Sure, the Sharks are sufferring some right now. I predicted that would happen before they got their game back.

re: the contoversial "headhit"

The bogus call should have been a 4 minute PP for SJ, but ended up giving the Hawks a 1 minute PP instead. Plus, a Shark player was ejected from the game and shortened their lineup on the 2nd of back-to-back games. Ridiculous. But blown calls will happen again as long as there is no instant replay in the NHL. The ref's blew it in realtime, but it's not entirely their faults. It's been shown in tests over and over again that the human brain will "connect the dots". No official really saw the hit; it was too fast, a player went flying and stayed down dazed. But the one lineman thought he saw it and convinced the main ref to make the call. With the crackdowns on head hits, the officials are under pressure to reduce such events and looking to punish players who headhunt.

Replays proved that the Sharks' protest were correct. It was shoulder to shoulder. Interestingly though, the Hawk said in postgame interviews that he thought he was hit in the head first. I guess he didn't see the replay either.

But SJ and most teams have no right to scream foul, because the majority of the GM's have voted against instant replay in the past.

Having said all of this in disgust, I'm not suggesting that was the sole reason for their loss. The Blackhawks played well last night and scored goals when they needed to 5-on-5. My Sharks have more correcting to do still with positional play and other areas of their game. They still don't have their full starting lineup this year, but should have all their starters back by the end of this month. I expect them to play well before then though.