The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kings_Attack

Sharks Catch All Thread

The opening period was wide open, and the Sharks did well capitalizing on their chances. But the three quick goals they gave up were totally on them, they let the Hawks back in early on. After that, I'm not sure I would be very critical of their play. The refs took what was an even game and rather than let the open ice beauty by Desjardins fire up his team, it ended in a Hawks PP giving them the go ahead goal and all the momentum. I'm not sure the Sharks had much chance beyond that, the Hawks are just too good right now.

You guys are really missing Burns, and some depth scoring.

The Sharks are fine even sans Burns; they played a very good, competitive game against CHI before the refs sabotaged the game and bad bounces and tough losses were inevitable after their streak. They'll bounce back.

Your comment about secondary scoring was correct until last night's game. The 3rd line scored 2 of the 3 goals. But you're not wrong to focus on secondary scoring issues, because that has been SJ's Achilles heel for many years now. We'll see if the other lines can continue to chip in some goals.

The Sharks have suspect players on D right now but are not in a position to reduce their minutes. Dan Boyle was back, but obviously still struggling with his on-going "flu" symptoms (wink wink!) But the 3 day break is just what the doctor ordered.

But there are ways to manage this: The forwards will have to play as a 5 man unit, helping with the back check. The d-men will have to make that good first pass to start the transition game. But as I saw things, the d-men weren't moving their legs and skating out when pressured prior to passing, and the forwards were slow to support them. Thus the last several games have all been the same: the passing lanes were readily blocked by the opponents. This slowed an already beat up team further and caused chaos with developing flow to their attack.

Brent Burns' return will help. But hernia surgery will likely take at least 2 years to fully heal. So the current group of defensemen must improve their play. It will happen. That's why SJ hired HOFer and super defenseman Larry Robinson and Jim Johnson as coaches. This year, the biggest focus was to improve one of the league's worst PK for the last 2 years where SJ was 29th or 30th. They now sit at # 5 so that's goodness.

I believe that adversity is good for athletes, and facing it as a team is even better. SJ should be piddleed by their losses. What they do from here will define them.

Go Sharks, dammit!

Yeah... live it up, Ducks' fans. Sure, the Sharks are sufferring some right now. I predicted that would happen before they got their game back.

re: the contoversial "headhit"

The bogus call should have been a 4 minute PP for SJ, but ended up giving the Hawks a 1 minute PP instead. Plus, a Shark player was ejected from the game and shortened their lineup on the 2nd of back-to-back games. Ridiculous. But blown calls will happen again as long as there is no instant replay in the NHL. The ref's blew it in realtime, but it's not entirely their faults. It's been shown in tests over and over again that the human brain will "connect the dots". No official really saw the hit; it was too fast, a player went flying and stayed down dazed. But the one lineman thought he saw it and convinced the main ref to make the call. With the crackdowns on head hits, the officials are under pressure to reduce such events and looking to punish players who headhunt.

Replays proved that the Sharks' protest were correct. It was shoulder to shoulder. Interestingly though, the Hawk said in postgame interviews that he thought he was hit in the head first. I guess he didn't see the replay either.

But SJ and most teams have no right to scream foul, because the majority of the GM's have voted against instant replay in the past.

Having said all of this in disgust, I'm not suggesting that was the sole reason for their loss. The Blackhawks played well last night and scored goals when they needed to 5-on-5. My Sharks have more correcting to do still with positional play and other areas of their game. They still don't have their full starting lineup this year, but should have all their starters back by the end of this month. I expect them to play well before then though.

The refs have been blowing it all year long. They are still in lockout mode I think.

I'm a little shocked right now... Sharks are down 3-LOVE to Columbus... whoops... make that 3-1.

Should not be losing to the B'Jackets.

It's really no different than when the Ducks lose to the worst team in the league. Remember the Ducks giving TOR their first win of the season a few years back? The Ducks can't seem to play well against really bad teams...Apparently, neither can the Sharks..

It's really no different than when the Ducks lose to the worst team in the league. Remember the Ducks giving TOR their first win of the season a few years back? The Ducks can't seem to play well against really bad teams...Apparently, neither can the Sharks..

1-4 now...

San Jose has lost 4 straight going into this game. Looks like it's going to run to 5.

Any team can lose to any team in this league. It is part of what makes the NHL so great. But really the Sharks should not lose to the Jackets by as many as 4 goals. All of a sudden the Sharks have issues.

Oops, now it's by 5 goals.

Any team can lose to any team in this league. It is part of what makes the NHL so great. But really the Sharks should not lose to the Jackets by as many as 4 goals. All of a sudden the Sharks have issues.

Oops, now it's by 5 goals.

Oops is right. Every time I blink Columbus scores.

And yes, that's my point... I think. Sharks went from unbeatable to 1-6 Blue Jackets in a blink of an eye.

(Damn, L.A. just doubled up on St. Louis)

Columbus has been good, but the Sharks look like their feet are cemented to the ice.

Yeah... live it up, Ducks' fans. Sure, the Sharks are sufferring some right now. I predicted that would happen before they got their game back.

re: the contoversial "headhit"

The bogus call should have been a 4 minute PP for SJ, but ended up giving the Hawks a 1 minute PP instead. Plus, a Shark player was ejected from the game and shortened their lineup on the 2nd of back-to-back games. Ridiculous. But blown calls will happen again as long as there is no instant replay in the NHL. The ref's blew it in realtime, but it's not entirely their faults. It's been shown in tests over and over again that the human brain will "connect the dots". No official really saw the hit; it was too fast, a player went flying and stayed down dazed. But the one lineman thought he saw it and convinced the main ref to make the call. With the crackdowns on head hits, the officials are under pressure to reduce such events and looking to punish players who headhunt.

Replays proved that the Sharks' protest were correct. It was shoulder to shoulder. Interestingly though, the Hawk said in postgame interviews that he thought he was hit in the head first. I guess he didn't see the replay either.

But SJ and most teams have no right to scream foul, because the majority of the GM's have voted against instant replay in the past.

Having said all of this in disgust, I'm not suggesting that was the sole reason for their loss. The Blackhawks played well last night and scored goals when they needed to 5-on-5. My Sharks have more correcting to do still with positional play and other areas of their game. They still don't have their full starting lineup this year, but should have all their starters back by the end of this month. I expect them to play well before then though.

St. Louis had a similar call go against them vs. Detroit (Backes on Huskins) and the Red Wing's scored the winning goal. I just think the game is played too fast to make those calls... and would welcome instant replay in determining double minors and majors. I don't think anyone has anything to lose.

They were always in trouble once Marleau cooled off. He was winning games by himself through their first 7 games.

Eh, don't you worry: things will be normal again as per the status quo in a few weeks. SJ will find it again and start winning. Might be around the same time the Ducks go on their first losing streak :o

Oy. All I can say is, enjoy this while it last Ducks fans... heck, somebody should!

Interestingly, last night's loss to the Preds was a better played game than the SO win against Anaheim. SJ needs to continue playing two-way, responsible hockey. The wins will come. Maybe even this month...

Sharks up against a Blue's team that seems to be coming together a little bit (3 straight wins).

Fearless prediction: St Louis 3 San Jose 1.

Ouch, watching the highlights. Niemi has been good this season, but that bouncing puck fumble was a beach ball moment. Did Jumbo really fight Toews? :blink:

It wasn't much of a fight... Toews checked his mouth piece, closed his eyes, and went in swinging!