Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DuckNCanuck51

What Is Going On With All This Spam?

13 posts in this topic

I realize you may be working on this, but what is going on with all this spam?

I'm concerned that lots of information is easily compromised and it just allows spammers/trolls to just post nonsensical crap on our boards with reckless abandon...

We have no control over who can join as a member.  I'm trying to stay on top of it, but sometimes work gets in the way of being on here.

They  mostly are signing up from european addresses, and I am banning those addresses as they spam.

Wish I had a simple answer for it, but we can't stop someone from signing up, unless their ip, email, or username has been banned.

It is getting annoying, to say the least, so please don't click on any of their links, or respond to their posts.

Trolls are a different matter, and need to be reported, and please do, but don't bother with the spammers.

1 person likes this

Update:

Typically we have 3-5 new members sign up each day, and out of those, 2-3 are spammers.

I don't know who got a hair up their you know what, but we had 75 new members sign up today, and 74 of them were spammers. Go figure.

I apologize in advance if you do see spam on the board. We all have real jobs, mostly, and sometimes can't get to the spam quite as fast as all the rest of you do. Please don't click on any of their links in their messages, and don't reply to them. We are getting them banned as fast as we can. If you feel it necessary to report, please be aware the report system sends a message to all on the moderating team.

We will catch it soon as we can get a break and get logged on. I sure miss the old days.

Thanks For Understanding.

2 people like this

I'm also removing these guys. I've noticed that every other board I check has the exact same spammers! We're doing all we can on this!

So there is no waiting period like back in 06? I remember I had to wait almost a week to get put in the system.

No, there is no waiting period. Once you sign up, you are part of te entire NHL experience.

THe good thing though is when I ban them, they are banned across the entire NHL experience also.

I'm trying to keep up with it, but sometimes they get away, or I'm working, which does take precidence.

Sorry.

1 person likes this

No, there is no waiting period. Once you sign up, you are part of te entire NHL experience.

THe good thing though is when I ban them, they are banned across the entire NHL experience also.

I'm trying to keep up with it, but sometimes they get away, or I'm working, which does take precidence.

Sorry.

I understand if you guys get busy and all. Things have changed dramatically since I remember. So we as users should continue vigilance or is this something that admins must do on your own?

Only an Admin or Mod can remove the user in question. My point is if it looks like spam, and is, there's really no need to notify us, as the notification comes to all on the staff.  Obviously though, if it is something blatant like 2 members having a call-out, please let us know.

We'll get it as quick as we can.

Thanks.

2 people like this

I'm deleting people daily. Like we said, their spam is across every team site. the good news is we clear it pretty quick and I've seen other sites with a ton just left on.  

1 person likes this

Russia. They have finally figured out how a keyboard works.

Rofl. Remember that they are going back to the typewriter so that the U.S. won't steal it's secrets.

1 person likes this