The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jiggy2win

Malkin Signs 8 Year Extension

For 76 mil.

Makes Perry's deal look a bit more reasonable now. That extra year advantage to the re-signing team seems to be working out as planned. The Pens didn't get a discount from Malkin, but at least he didn't drag it out all summer. I would have said they should trade him a year ago, but with Sid always being one more concussion away from early retirement, Geno is a necessary insurance policy.

Malkin's contract is a great example of how the NHL is moving forward regarding cap control and cap circumvention. Over the next 8 yrs Malkin will be making $76M and Crosby $86M, but Crosby's cap hit is almost a million bucks less than Malkin's. But at the same time, no wonder why the union was fighting to ensure that player salaries can change from year to year at a higher % than the owner's suggested, and why they fought for contracts lasting longer than 8 years. Tacking two more years for Malkin at a lower salary would have reduced the average cap hit. With the large cap hit on Malkin, it pretty much assures that role players like Kennedy, Cooke, Dupuis, Adams will have a tough time getting a higher salary they're hoping for.

Guess it was nice deal it things interesting to see who they keep and who they trade.

Nice deal for Malkin... not sure it's in the best long term interest of the team.

The Penguins are going to have about 20% of their cap space tied up in two players who have a history of missing games. Granted, those two players are arguably the best two players in the game...

I still think Shero runs into issues down the line. They don't have the prospect pool they once had... a pool that generated guys like Staal, Orpick, Kennedy, Fleury, Talbot, and Letang, and trade fodder like Goligoski, Whitney, Armstrong, Carcillo, and Christensen. Top heavy teams simply don't fair all that well in today's NHL.

Well, this is another downside to sucking so bad for so many years. Yeah, you get good players, but those good players eventually have to get paid.

Well, this is another downside to sucking so bad for so many years. Yeah, you get good players, but those good players eventually have to get paid.

I just commented on sucking like that here: http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2013/06/14/discussion-trading-for-a-bad-contract-with-the-purpose-of-buying-them-out/comment-page-1/#comment-561752

Letang is also UFA after next season, and will be looking for a massive raise.

One thing We need to ask out of the players you list who is most desirable for our Ducks to pursue right now. I hate to say this But I think our team is long overdue for major trade.

That's not a list of guys to trade for Moose. Reread what I wrote.

That's players that the Penguin's produced that allowed them to be so competitive despite the money they've been paying Crosby and Malkin.

Hmmm....It would be possible I am just saying that with the Pens Salary cap tied to two players  Pens may want to make a trade?. There is a Player well a young D-man I have on my list that I would love the Ducks to trade for.

How's that list of yours coming along big guy?