The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jiggy2win

Coyotes To Seattle?

The Glendale City Council is working with potential owners Renaissance Sports and Entertainment to reach an agreement regarding the Phoenix Coyotes. The NHL is telling both sides to do so by July 2, because if they don't finalize a deal by then, the team might be heading to Seattle.

From Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times:

Renaissance is said to be seeking up to $15 million per year in revenue guarantees from the city. The city has budgeted for only $6 million, and the sides are seeking ways to bridge the gap.

If they can’t do it, the NHL has warned it could sell the team to New York hedge fund investors Ray Bartoszek and Anthony Lanza, who would move the Coyotes to Seattle. But the feasibility of such a move remains in question, given the Coyotes would have to play in a temporary facility — 11,000-seat KeyArena being the most likely choice — and hope a new arena could be built.

So, the team could stay in a city with the second-worst attendance last season or go to a significantly smaller arena and rely on faith that a bigger place will be built. Either way, things still look bleak for the Coyotes.

I would love to see an NHL team in the Pac. NW, whether from a Yotes move or an NHL expansion.  What boggles my mind is the lack of discussion about Portland, OR as potential location for the Yotes to move to.  They already have an NHL ready arena (The Rose Garden, home of the Trail Blazers) with a seating capacity of ~18,000, and a WHL team in the Winterhawks (who already plays at the Rose Garden, but has an alternative venue should a major league team come to town).

Either city (Seattle or Portland) would do well with an NHL team.  And the cities are relatively close enough to each other for fans from either city to travel for games.  Adding teams to both Portland and Seattle would be a great rivalry, too, and with the Canucks just north of Seattle, we could see a similar regional 3-way rivalry to what we have in NY (Rangers, Islanders, Sabres) and CA (Ducks, Sharks, Kings).

We'll see...

Seattle fans have been amazing with the Sounders their MLS team, fostering a European-like atmosphere for their games. It would be really cool if Seattle got a team and the fans supported them in similar unique ways.

If anyone watched the USA World Cup qualifying game that was played in Seattle a few weeks ago they would have been blown away. Great soccer fans up there.

Portland has adopted their MLS team in similar ways to Seattle too.

I'd love this so hard. I'd feel bad for the current Yotes fan base, that would suck. Just Seattle would be so awesome! 

The Key Arena is a major set back though. That small archaic facility would be a nuisance. Then again, don't the Jets play in a small 12-15K building?

I'd love this so hard. I'd feel bad for the current Yotes fan base, that would suck. Just Seattle would be so awesome! 

The Key Arena is a major set back though. That small archaic facility would be a nuisance. Then again, don't the Jets play in a small 12-15K building?

MTS Centre holds about 15k people and I think that's the lowest the NHL allows for attendance in a building.  I think it's a fix that if the Coyotes move it will stay in our new division.  Too many teams in the east already and it's bad enough that the western side is short two teams.

does this mean that Grunge is popular again?

in the 90's Grunge fitted perfectly to the melancholic Finns

so did Fraser , we all need upper's and downer's

Edit.

Not a fan of moving the Yotes, but Seattle is a cool possibility. I'd have to think another Canadian team would make more sense though. A second team near TO would make a killing. Seattle could struggle just as hard as Phoenix IMO.

Seattle is a great sports city. Even the Seattle Sounders in MLS average 40K people per game (as a Swiss I would love to see the Seattle Sounders fans bring that soccer culture/atmosphere to their hockey game). We would also see a new Vancouver - Seattle rivalry start to develop.

They aren't going anywhere. 5 more years in the desert. 

Too bad. I think Seattle would be great for the NHL. Portland as well. I think the NHL is missing out on the Northwest. 

Too bad. I think Seattle would be great for the NHL. Portland as well. I think the NHL is missing out on the Northwest. 

I'm happy for the Coyotes fans.

Seattle will probably get a team soon. The West now has 2 less teams than the East, so it looks like any expansion is going to happen out West.

I'm happy for the Coyotes fans.

Seattle will probably get a team soon. The West now has 2 less teams than the East, so it looks like any expansion is going to happen out West.

The two places I've heard hockey "insiders" mention are Seattle and Quebec. 

They changed their names from the Phoenix Coyotes to the Arizona Coyotes.. It doesn't roll off the tongue as easily as it used to

Glad the Yotes are staying, though a move would have been fun for the rest of us. The "Arizona" Coyotes? Meh, they found a way to make the blandest team even blander. Yawn. Maybe they could revamp the uni's to make the name change have more oomph.

Seattle did not want to build a new arena for the Supersonics.Do you think they will build one for an NHL team?

Portland is more NHL-ready from a facilities standpoint (Rose Garden).  However, I don't think that the market can support an NHL team.  Wouldn't want another Panthers debacle.

Seattle seems to be a more ideal destination for the NHL between the two cities.  Shame is that the one with the weaker hockey market already has the facilities to host a team.

Seattle did not want to build a new arena for the Supersonics.Do you think they will build one for an NHL team?

As much as I agree with you, it's already in the works. Bettman has publicly announced his support and my assumption is that they'll play in the Key Arena. It can house 15k people for ice hockey and I think that's all you really need. MTS Centre holds about the same number and it seems to be working for the Jets so far.

As much as I agree with you, it's already in the works. Bettman has publicly announced his support and my assumption is that they'll play in the Key Arena. It can house 15k people for ice hockey and I think that's all you really need. MTS Centre holds about the same number and it seems to be working for the Jets so far.

I think the chances of building a new arena would be far greater with two teams lobbying vs just one.

If the NHL and NBA can both get teams there in the near future, I think an arena gets built.

I think the chances of building a new arena would be far greater with two teams lobbying vs just one.

If the NHL and NBA can both get teams there in the near future, I think an arena gets built.

I don't follow basketball but is the NBA even considering expanding or relocating to Seattle? I agree that with two pro teams it makes it easier for the city to build a new arena.

I don't follow basketball but is the NBA even considering expanding or relocating to Seattle? I agree that with two pro teams it makes it easier for the city to build a new arena.

Maybe not via expansion, but Seattle is ABSOLUTELY trying to get a NBA franchise back.

RABID basketball fan base up there.

Maybe not via expansion, but Seattle is ABSOLUTELY trying to get a NBA franchise back.

RABID basketball fan base up there.

That city has a great fanbase. They embraced the Sounders with open arms and is now the darling of MLS in a few short years. Seriously, MLS just shat their britches over the breaking news Clint Dempsey signed with Seattle.