The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

squitman

Bernier Traded To The Leafs

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=674909&navid=DL|NHL|home

Leafs get Scrivens, while the Kings get Ben Scrivens, Matt Frattin, and a either a 2014 or 2015 2nd round pick.

I think that the Leafs won this trade personally, but that could be because I have come to dispise the Kings. B)

Good trade by the Leafs.  They got a goalie with a Stanley Cup and will challenge Reimer for the starting job.  Scrivens will add depth to the King's goaltending and a pick is never a bad thing.  As for Fratting I really don't know where he would fit but maybe replace a player like Richardson.

Side Note:  What happened to the no trades until the post-season is over rule?  I remember teams couldn't make any moves until the season was over.  Plus couldn't they just wait until draft day to make this a more interesting event.

@DarrenDreger: Some rumblings Phaneuf may be in play. Nonis says he will trade just about anyone, but says no one has called on the captain...yet.

@DarrenDreger: Some rumblings Phaneuf may be in play. Nonis says he will trade just about anyone, but says no one has called on the captain...yet.

We know the GM's got the number,... but should he make a call?

We know the GM's got the number,... but should he make a call?

It couldn't hurt to see what it would cost.  My guess is Toronto would want a lot in return.

Guess that means T.O is no longer in the running for Roberto Luongo...Good deal btw shows T.O is moving in a good direction.

Good observation Moose. Certainly impacts Luongo's situation.

What large market team can 1. afford him, and 2. needs a goaltender.

Great deal for Toronto. Got a young RFA goalie with a lot of upside. I've read lots of Leafs fans already crapping on him (that city smokes more goalies than crack), as if any goalie in the league could beat out Quick for the starting spot. 

They also dodged that Luongo bullet. He's still got 9 years on that contract, NINE! I hope the Canucks have to pony up and ride that contract out. I lhate this "Get Out of Jail Free" card the CBA allows.

Also, still really confused how a trade goes through before July 1st.

There is no rule in place that forbids any move made before the end of the SC final. Bettman just doesn't like that, and most teams therefore respekt the playoffs and don't anounce anything in that time.

But if you want to, you can finish a deal in that time.

There is no rule in place that forbids any move made before the end of the SC final. Bettman just doesn't like that, and most teams therefore respekt the playoffs and don't anounce anything in that time.

Does the trade deadline effectively end at the start of the playoffs then? 

Heh. Come to think of it. Trades happen during the draft day, before free agency. I just always assumed it was dead line till the draft. 

Love this deal for Toronto. For a time a couple of years back, it looked like Bernier would steal the job from Quick before he went all Captain America in net. Frattin sucks and Scrivens is a good back-up but won't ever be a starter. Reimer has been awesome the past few years but he's been injury prone and a little inconsistent. Bernier gives the Leafs a legitimate 1a 1b situation in net and that's something they haven't had since the days of Potvin and Fuhr.  

IMO getting Luongo would've been the dumbest thing this city has ever done. To put that in perspective, we elected a crackhead into the mayoral office and called in the Canadian army to shovel snow...

Love this deal for Toronto. For a time a couple of years back, it looked like Bernier would steal the job from Quick before he went all Captain America in net. Frattin sucks and Scrivens is a good back-up but won't ever be a starter. Reimer has been awesome the past few years but he's been injury prone and a little inconsistent. Bernier gives the Leafs a legitimate 1a 1b situation in net and that's something they haven't had since the days of Potvin and Fuhr.  

IMO getting Luongo would've been the dumbest thing this city has ever done. To put that in perspective, we elected a crackhead into the mayoral office and called in the Canadian army to shovel snow...

Quick was actually pegged to be a placeholder until Bernier was ready...

Then Lombardi made some bold moves adding cats like Carter and Richards, Dustin Brown learned how to dive, and taught Stoll and Doughty the Art of Dirt and things came together for Quick and the team.

Look lets be honest T.O imho should never gone or though of Luongo the guy's contract was achilles heel for them if you ask me. Plus I think having Bernier is a right step for them taking the team back to it's roots.

Lets be more honest Moose... they never did acquire Luongo.

This is a win win. Kings ease up on cap space which is coming down, because some teams can't fill their arenas. And Bernie finally gets a shot. Hope he does well in the emerald city.

Emerald City? EUGENE? SEATTLE? SYDNEY?

I thought he went to Toronto?!

This. Though, wasn't Bryzgalov traded to the Flyers in the middle of the Boston-Vancouver final a couple of years ago?

And I could be making this up, but I thought the rule was that if you executed a trade after the trade deadline then the players involved in the trade can't play for your team that season. So while trades can still happen in April and May, there's no point to doing them.

Great deal for Toronto. Got a young RFA goalie with a lot of upside. I've read lots of Leafs fans already crapping on him (that city smokes more goalies than crack), as if any goalie in the league could beat out Quick for the starting spot. 

They also dodged that Luongo bullet. He's still got 9 years on that contract, NINE! I hope the Canucks have to pony up and ride that contract out. I lhate this "Get Out of Jail Free" card the CBA allows.

Vancouver HAS TO buy out Luongo at this point. If he does, perhaps Philly buys out Bryz and signs Luongo. Keep the goalie carousel in Philly spinning.

Good move for both teams. Chalk up another solid move by D. Lombardi. Got a great return in a weak goalie market, plus it eases a little cap room in the future. Hopefully Bernier takes a solid hold of the #1 spot in TO, could be a great move for that franchise if so.