The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HeWhoWatchDuckOnPond

Torts New Coach In Vancouver

It wouldn't surprise me if he somehow managed to ruin the chemistry between the Sedin twins... Vigneault will probably take New York further than Torture-ella will ever take Vancouver. 

I think short term this makes Vancouver a better team...

The cat wears on players and the media, but he absolutely has the ability to motivate players and commands a level of respect where he can absolutely demand effort. This is a guy who demoted Brad Richards to the 4th line... even sat him during the playoffs.

The best players in Vancouver have been on cruise control for years. Tortorella will absolutely change the message - take players out of their comfort zone and demand more.

The problem is that it wears on players after a few seasons. Short term though? I think it's a good move by Gillis... not good enough to say his job, but a good move.

The cat wears on players and the media, but he absolutely has the ability to motivate players and commands a level of respect where he can absolutely demand effort. This is a guy who demoted Brad Richards to the 4th line... even sat him during the playoffs.

The best players in Vancouver have been on cruise control for years. Tortorella will absolutely change the message - take players out of their comfort zone and demand more.

The problem is that it wears on players after a few seasons. Short term though? I think it's a good move by Gillis... not good enough to say his job, but a good move.

I've always been surprised with Torts.  You're right that he can rub players the wrong way but the guy gets results no matter where he goes.  He's taken the Bolts to the cup and the Rangers to the conference finals.  This year he was coaching an incomplete team that saw a lot of depth move out due to a star player.  Sather has been one of the worst GMs post 2005 lockout.  

I wouldn't mind down the road if the Ducks need that new kind of voice if the Ducks got Tortorella should he be available.

He's a more cantankerous Carlyle... who is doing great in Toronto if anyone has cared to notice.

Totally agree. He has a short shelf life with that current style of his. He lights fires at first but is prone to being tuned-out over time.

He's a more cantankerous Carlyle... who is doing great in Toronto if anyone has cared to notice.

Carlyle claims to have softened his approach a bit, and he is doing great in TO as a result. I couldn't be happier for him. But the same that was said above about Torts could apply to Carlyle as well. Depending on how much Randy really changed his tune, I won't be surprised to see him run his course in a few more years there as well.

The media is amazing. They are gonna try to break his 'new gentler' image. It's gonna be like poking a lion to see how long he can take it until he finally rips your head off. If it's not finger biting antics on the ice or the long soap opera called 'the days of luongo' then it's gonna be let see how piddleed off we can get Torts. 

I miss the simpler days of the Canucks, like a good old sucker punch and neck snapping. 

Sometimes I wonder why I'm a fan of them, Naslund and Linden are long gone, and the Sedins are more frustrating then they are worth lately. 

Gillis sucks.

Totally agree. He has a short shelf life with that current style of his. He lights fires at first but is prone to being tuned-out over time.

Carlyle claims to have softened his approach a bit, and he is doing great in TO as a result. I couldn't be happier for him. But the same that was said above about Torts could apply to Carlyle as well. Depending on how much Randy really changed his tune, I won't be surprised to see him run his course in a few more years there as well.

I'm sure Carlyle changes his approach to suit his ends... like any good coach does.