The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kanauhtli

The OFFICIAL Buy-Out Thread

According to nbc Bryz is getting bought out. According to Bryz's agent there were no plans to buy out Bryz. Holmgren is getting to the of the line in Philly.

If Bryz is bought out, I wonder what his market worth would be? With all the other goalies on the market is there a chance he could be had for cheap while he re-establishes himself? I'm not saying I want to pursue it or anything, but if Murray felt compelled to unload Hiller and could get Bryz for cheap, then I would be good with that. I still think Bryz is a solid #1, he just doesn't handle the media attention well. It seems to throw off his focus, that wouldn't be an issue here.

does this open the door of some kind of "ryan/hiller" package to the Flyers?  Not a hater of either player, but given the contract we gave Fasth so quickly, you gotta believe they have a lot of faith in him being a #1 goalie. I would strongly prefer to keep both of our goalies for now, giving Gibson more time in the minors.

Should be an interesting week or so as we see what kind of product the Ducks put on the ice...

btw, I still believe that Saku and Teemu come back next year...

And the fun of offseason begins   :)

yep... and productivity will plummet at work as I reload for the latest "breaking news"...  Could you imagine how crazy it would be if we didn't the get the getz/perry deals done during the season!?!? I'd need a tin foil hat to protect myself against all the people in tin foil hats making crazy predictions!?!?

As for Hiller going Philly, I think Philly would be more interested in Luongo and a couple others before they even think about HIller.

lot of philly fans complaining that Luongo is exactly the kind of splashy acquisition that Paul Holgrem is known for, and exactly the kind that is most likely to blow up in his face... they can't buyout Brz and afford Luongo, can they?

lot of philly fans complaining that Luongo is exactly the kind of splashy acquisition that Paul Holgrem is known for, and exactly the kind that is most likely to blow up in his face... they can't buyout Brz and afford Luongo, can they?

They bought out Bryz and Briere to be able to afford Luongo. I'm pretty sure Luongo will be the next Flyers #1.

They bought out Bryz and Briere to be able to afford Luongo. I'm pretty sure Luongo will be the next Flyers #1.

I don't know... I'm thinking Paul Holmgren learned his lesson on long term net minder deals...

This certainly makes things more interesting.

I had thought for a while that Long island would trade DiPietro and a asset to Vancouver for Luongo, and Vancouver would amnesty buy-out DiPietro. Now I think Bryzgalov could end up in Long Island, and that Vancouver is going to be stuck with Luongo (or buy him out).

I don't know... I'm thinking Paul Holmgren learned his lesson on long term net minder deals...

This certainly makes things more interesting.

I had thought for a while that Long island would trade DiPietro and a asset to Vancouver for Luongo, and Vancouver would amnesty buy-out DiPietro. Now I think Bryzgalov could end up in Long Island, and that Vancouver is going to be stuck with Luongo (or buy him out).

+1... I don't think Lou to Philly is likely... i think that if Philly and Anaheim are talking, this made their talks a whole lot more interesting...

Paul Holmgren - WORST GM IN THE HISTORY OF THE NHL

made the broad street bullies look like broad street *******

if Edmonton is poorly managed,Holmgren probably

have the Philly management,and owner by their short and curlies

how else would you explain why he hasn't been fired yet

7 years of Hell in Philly... and the reign continues

WHAT?

Worse than Gillis? No... Jay Feaster? Garth Snow? No, and no.

Worse than Mike Milbury? George McPhee? John Ferguson jr? Larry Pleau? Glen Sather? No, no, no, no, and no.

I can point out a lot of poor moves by Holmgren, but he's not the worst GM in the league today...

+1... I don't think Lou to Philly is likely... i think that if Philly and Anaheim are talking, this made their talks a whole lot more interesting...

What could philly be loading up for i wonder, should be an interesting off season.

As for Hiller going Philly, I think Philly would be more interested in Luongo and a couple others before they even think about HIller.

Explain how they could afford him? Are you not aware of Lous big five h- I mean contract?

Philly may have just cleared some salary, but they will still need to pay for a new goaltender. I don't think they are going to go all in with Steve Mason. They'll have to add at least $3-4mil back on to their cap when the find another goalie. And if they chase Mike Smith, losing Bryz's cap hit will probably end up being a wash.

There's also that 4 year $21M contract Philly gave to Streit last week.

Ryan and Fasth for Coburn and Read. Yes please.

Edit: I thought Philly would be better served using one of their buyouts on Pronger, whose $5MM per is on the payroll for another 4 seasons unless I'm mistaken?

Even with these buyouts, the Flyers are only about $1.1MM under the salary cap for next season. So if they want to add Luongo after a buyout then Lu will have to sign for $1M or less.

Maybe Philly could send Pronger + to the Islanders for DiPietro. Helps the Islanders get over the Cap floor.

You can't buy out an injured player, so Pronger isn't eligible. He'll stay on the long-term injured reserve list though. And I think his salary doesn't count against the cap if he's on LTIR. Anyone confirm this? If true, the Flyers actually have about $6mil to spend against the cap.

*cough* Scott Howson *cough*

Knew I missed at least one... THANKS.

You can't buy out an injured player, so Pronger isn't eligible. He'll stay on the long-term injured reserve list though. And I think his salary doesn't count against the cap if he's on LTIR. Anyone confirm this? If true, the Flyers actually have about $6mil to spend against the cap.

You are spot on good sir.

There's also that 4 year $21M contract Philly gave to Streit last week.

Speaking of Pronger above, you'd think after that debacle that Holmgren wouldn't chance signing a 35+ year old defenseman again... let alone a one dimensional 35+ year old defenseman.

Edit: I thought Philly would be better served using one of their buyouts on Pronger, whose $5MM per is on the payroll for another 4 seasons unless I'm mistaken?

Buying out Pronger would be a waste of a compliance buy-out. I think each team only gets two buyouts over the next two years? Pronger is on the LTIR and therefore is not counted against the salary cap, so Philly gets a free pass this year. I don't think he's coming back this year.

I have a question I hope someone can answer: If Pronger were to officially retire, would his salary then count against the cap? If so, wouldn't it be of the Flyers' best interest to pretend Pronger has a shot of coming back eventhough he's highly unlikely to return to the ice? From articles I've read about Pronger and his family life, it seems that he is struggling through the concussion-like symptoms. I think if you sign a players over 35 and he retires, you're stuck with the cap hit for the duration of the contract. I'm wondering if Holmgren told Pronger to keep his mouth shut regarding retirement.

Buying out Pronger would be a waste of a compliance buy-out. I think each team only gets two buyouts over the next two years? Pronger is on the LTIR and therefore is not counted against the salary cap, so Philly gets a free pass this year. I don't think he's coming back this year.

I have a question I hope someone can answer: If Pronger were to officially retire, would his salary then count against the cap? If so, wouldn't it be of the Flyers' best interest to pretend Pronger has a shot of coming back eventhough he's highly unlikely to return to the ice? From articles I've read about Pronger and his family life, it seems that he is struggling through the concussion-like symptoms. I think if you sign a players over 35 and he retires, you're stuck with the cap hit for the duration of the contract. I'm wondering if Holmgren told Pronger to keep his mouth shut regarding retirement.

Yes, if Pronger were to retire his cap hit would still count against the team. It's best to keep him on LTIR. Even though that's basically cap circumvention.

It's amazing, that Holmgren goes out and signs another 35 year old defensemen to 4 years. I was annoyed with Murray for giving Souray 3 years. But that's a year less for half the value. Makes me appreciate BM all the more.

Yes, if Pronger were to retire his cap hit would still count against the team. It's best to keep him on LTIR. Even though that's basically cap circumvention.

It's amazing, that Holmgren goes out and signs another 35 year old defensemen to 4 years. I was annoyed with Murray for giving Souray 3 years. But that's a year less for half the value. Makes me appreciate BM all the more.

While I agree, Murray was somewhat fortunate that Souray was really only going to play for one of three California teams.

With a little hindsight, I think the coup would have been acquiring Robyn Regehr.

Philly may have just cleared some salary, but they will still need to pay for a new goaltender. I don't think they are going to go all in with Steve Mason. They'll have to add at least $3-4mil back on to their cap when the find another goalie. And if they chase Mike Smith, losing Bryz's cap hit will probably end up being a wash.

The word on Smith is that he wants a big payday. Fasth on the other hand at 2.9 million would be perfect for Philly.

Which seems ridiculous to me. What is the point of having 35+ contracts regulated by the CBA when you can just say a player is on LTIR and have them not count against the cap?

Which seems ridiculous to me. What is the point of having 35+ contracts regulated by the CBA when you can just say a player is on LTIR and have them not count against the cap?

Additionally, Pronger continues to get paid his salary even though he's LTIR, which to me is the incentive to Pronger not officially retiring.  I don't mean to sound calice but Pronger wanted a retirement contract and I guess he got it in more ways than he bargained.  I'm glad Anaheim isn't stuck with a contract like that because it would've derailed keeping Getzlaf or Perry now.

If they can be medically cleared to play then all bets are off... It's not something the team can just "pretend".

In the case of Pronger, everything I read and hear is that his post concussion issues are severe... which is sad.

If they can be medically cleared to play then all bets are off... It's not something the team can just "pretend".

In the case of Pronger, everything I read and hear is that his post concussion issues are severe... which is sad.

Sure, it is sad. But when it comes to the cap I really don't see the difference between Pronger basically being forced into retirement by post-concussion issues, and an older player deciding to finish their career because their body can no longer handle the rigors of the NHL. If you sign a 35+ contract, that should count against the cap no matter what.

Sure, it is sad. But when it comes to the cap I really don't see the difference between Pronger basically being forced into retirement by post-concussion issues, and an older player deciding to finish their career because their body can no longer handle the rigors of the NHL. If you sign a 35+ contract, that should count against the cap no matter what.

Pronger is physically unable to play (by some accounts he's physically unable to even drive). He's not someone like Mike Modano who just couldn't keep up anymore.

The league (and CBA) distinguishes the difference between voluntary retirement and injury. No longer able to handle the rigors of the game does not qualify for a injury exemption... and while I'm sure the incidence of career ending injuries are greater at 35+ there is no way the players would ever agree to not protecting injured players at some predetermined age.

Ian Laperrière was in a similar situation as Pronger after he got hit TWICE in the face with pucks and suffered post concussion symptoms.

How is the older player not protected? It's not like the injured player wouldn't be entitled to their pay, I'm just saying it should count against the salary cap. Part of the risk of signing older players to big deals is that they are more prone to injury.