The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kanauhtli

The OFFICIAL Buy-Out Thread

WHAT?

Worse than Gillis? No... Jay Feaster? Garth Snow? No, and no.

Worse than Mike Milbury? George McPhee? John Ferguson jr? Larry Pleau? Glen Sather? No, no, no, no, and no.

I can point out a lot of poor moves by Holmgren, but he's not the worst GM in the league today...

Feaster Milbury and JFJ would be my worst 3.... but they are in some awful company with that list. Holmgren's a few shades below these guys.

How is the older player not protected? It's not like the injured player wouldn't be entitled to their pay, I'm just saying it should count against the salary cap. Part of the risk of signing older players to big deals is that they are more prone to injury.

Imagine a scenario where bad puck luck comes into play and they lose their top 3 or 4 salaried players for a season maybe two...

With all that cap space being taken up by injured players, they can't field a competitive team.

That doesn't do anyone any good.

Philly Buy-out Bryz's contract...Am I the only one who is not surprise by this?.

I think you need to read the thread from the start Mr Moose.

Imagine a scenario where bad puck luck comes into play and they lose their top 3 or 4 salaried players for a season maybe two...

With all that cap space being taken up by injured players, they can't field a competitive team.

That doesn't do anyone any good.

If 3 of their top 4 salaried players are over 35 years old, that is the risk they take. Signing older players to those sorts of deals is a gamble that a lot of small market teams simply cannot afford. Philly shouldn't be able to take a big risk on signing a guy like Pronger to a massive deal, then be allowed to hide it from the eyes of the salary cap.

If 3 of their top 4 salaried players are over 35 years old, that is the risk they take. Signing older players to those sorts of deals is a gamble that a lot of small market teams simply cannot afford. Philly shouldn't be able to take a big risk on signing a guy like Pronger to a massive deal, then be allowed to hide it from the eyes of the salary cap.

You really want to stick it to the older players! LOL.In Pronger's case they're NOT hiding it. He's injured.

Montreal had to pretty much carry Kaberle's salary hit when he went south at age 35 (but was otherwise healthy).

Holmgren was already risking a lot... what if his skills deteriorated but he was otherwise healthy? They'd have to carry him and his cap hit. If different injury rules applied to 35+ players many likely would be forced into retirement.

And while Pronger's contract is likely insured 9at what must have been a massive premium), the Flyers are still forced to spend money on a player that's not helping the team. That's dead money. Money that could have gone into scouting, or training, or facilities, etc. Those contracts drain on resources even if they don't impact the cap.

Is that fair that the Flyers can stomach that risk easier or better than Anaheim? No, but it's not fair that Dustin Brown gets away with the crap he does either. Life's not fair and the Kings suck. You can't argue with that! =)

What a shocker, Lightnings are going to buy-out Lecavalier's contract. FA is looking very good right now.

Huge dollars and boy does that shake up the UFA market. Have to think Ribiero's value just sunk $500K a year.

Huge dollars and boy does that shake up the UFA market. Have to think Ribiero's value just sunk $500K a year.

It's going to get worst for Ribiero. Rangers still contemplating buy-out of Richards and Chicago's Bolland is being shopped around. Minnesota also needs to shed salary.

Does this mean Anaheim might be able to pick up a center for cheap? If the market starts getting flooded by these bought out players, a guy like Derek Roy might be had for a lot less.

I'm really hoping that a good number of players are bought out this summer, it could be the stroke of luck Murray needs to bring in a quality player that would have otherwise been unavailable, or undesirable with their current contract situations. I would also hope that with more players on the market, GM's won't get into the same type of bidding war as they normally would when only a couple good players are available.

Great idea to merge and create an official buyout thread btw, props to the mods.

I assume Murray is still looking at Weiss, he was rumored to be making a move on him this season before the wrist injury put SW out for the year. It's just the type of move I could see Murray going for, going after a guy with just enough uncertainty to make other GM's twitchy, especially when there are other options out there like Lecav, Ribiero, etc.

I'm really hoping that a good number of players are bought out this summer, it could be the stroke of luck Murray needs to bring in a quality player that would have otherwise been unavailable, or undesirable with their current contract situations. I would also hope that with more players on the market, GM's won't get into the same type of bidding war as they normally would when only a couple good players are available.

Great idea to merge and create an official buyout thread btw, props to the mods.

Not luck. We've discussed this before...

By shedding bad salary and no caving in to any cap circumventing contracts, Murray has put the team in a good position going into this years off season. Anaheim also retains two compliance buy-outs which actually may have some value over the next two seasons.

Not luck. We've discussed this before...

By shedding bad salary and no caving in to any cap circumventing contracts, Murray has put the team in a good position going into this years off season. Anaheim also retains two compliance buy-outs which actually may have some value over the next two seasons.

No, not lucky in putting himself in a position to be a buyer if he so chooses. Lucky in that the new CBA and compliance buyouts might create a fortunate set of circumstances. He might have a crack at players that wouldn't have been available otherwise. Heck, he might even get them at a discount if they are trying to rebound from a contract they couldn't live up to.

No, not lucky in putting himself in a position to be a buyer if he so chooses. Lucky in that the new CBA and compliance buyouts might create a fortunate set of circumstances. He might have a crack at players that wouldn't have been available otherwise. Heck, he might even get them at a discount if they are trying to rebound from a contract they couldn't live up to.

Well, I think we also knew that teams that leveraged those crazy contracts would likely get stung in the end... that the cap would likely come down, and GM's would feel the pinch and be forced to move players one way or another...

Either way, Ducks fans should be clicking their heels. Murray has the team in a great spot right now to benefit from the new CBA.

Horton just said he's not returning to Boston and Cory Schneider is on the block as well...this thing is heating up for a wild weekend!

Horton just said he's not returning to Boston and Cory Schneider is on the block as well...this thing is heating up for a wild weekend!

Craziness. Surprising on both counts. Horton was a great fit in Boston, injuries have been plaguing him though. I'd love to get him here if he could just stay healthy. 

Quite an odd situation in Vancouver. Bobby Lu gets signed to a crazy long term deal, then the team decides he isn't worth the contract shortly after and try for a year or two to move him with no success. Then his successor, Schneider, stumbles a bit and they find themselves leaning on Roberto again. Now Schneids is on the block. Wow.

Whoa, what? How is he available, is Boston considering trading him?

Bob Mckenzie tweeted it out, but I'd be really surprised if it happened. There's a topic about it in the rumors section.

Bob Mckenzie tweeted it out, but I'd be really surprised if it happened. There's a topic about it in the rumors section.

Yeah, just posted in the related thread, thanks.

I'd be quite surprised as well, that's not the type of player you move unless it's a Jordon Staal situation where he would never pass Sid or Geno on the depth chart, and the team can't float a $5M 3rd center. I would think Krejci gets moved at that point with the idea that Seguin could surpass him eventually anyhow.

Yeah, just posted in the related thread, thanks.

I'd be quite surprised as well, that's not the type of player you move unless it's a Jordon Staal situation where he would never pass Sid or Geno on the depth chart, and the team can't float a $5M 3rd center. I would think Krejci gets moved at that point with the idea that Seguin could surpass him eventually anyhow.

Good comparison (Staal).

Krejci is only 27 years old... but only signed through 2015. Seguin is signed through 2019. I agree with you that the guy to go should be Krejci... but like Bergeron, he's just such a great performer when it matters.

Craziness. Surprising on both counts. Horton was a great fit in Boston, injuries have been plaguing him though. I'd love to get him here if he could just stay healthy. 

Quite an odd situation in Vancouver. Bobby Lu gets signed to a crazy long term deal, then the team decides he isn't worth the contract shortly after and try for a year or two to move him with no success. Then his successor, Schneider, stumbles a bit and they find themselves leaning on Roberto again. Now Schneids is on the block. Wow.

A combination of too many good goalies floating out there and cost... just no real market for Luongo... and Gillis really can't afford to keep them both. Schneider can be moved. Luongo likely can't. Writing on the wall.

A combination of too many good goalies floating out there and cost... just no real market for Luongo... and Gillis really can't afford to keep them both. Schneider can be moved. Luongo likely can't. Writing on the wall.

I'd love for Vancouver to be stuck with that stupidity. But the buyout. Couldn't they just do that and retain Schnieder? Or have they totally lost all faith in him too?

Surely they have to buyout Luongo. Schneider is the future of that club. Luongo will never be that guy, after all the crap he and the Canucks have gone through over the past year.

Surely they have to buyout Luongo. Schneider is the future of that club. Luongo will never be that guy, after all the crap he and the Canucks have gone through over the past year.

Traded Schneider as expected.

I'd love for Vancouver to be stuck with that stupidity. But the buyout. Couldn't they just do that and retain Schnieder? Or have they totally lost all faith in him too?

That buyout would have been monstrous even for a deep pocket team like Vancouver. Luongo still has a good game... it's not anything like the DiPietro situation where the player stinks.

Expected by whom? I think most people still expected the Canucks to move or buy-out Luongo.

Now the Canucks are stuck with a goaltender who has wanted out of Vancouver for the past 12 months plus.

Expected by whom? I think most people still expected the Canucks to move or buy-out Luongo.

Now the Canucks are stuck with a goaltender who has wanted out of Vancouver for the past 12 months plus.

Me (and Mark Easson of NHL Trade Rumors).

See earlier posts.

Certainly not by Luongo. Gillis is going to have to so some sweet talking.

Canucks ownership flew to Florida to tell Luongo before the draft... so he likely knew.

Luongo is a good goalie but his contract is just terrible.

WIN-WIN trade.

New Jersey got Broduer's successor and Vancouver a top 10 pick in the draft (which I think was more than his market value).

Canucks ownership flew to Florida to tell Luongo before the draft... so he likely knew.

Luongo is a good goalie but his contract is just terrible.

WIN-WIN trade.

New Jersey got Broduer's successor and Vancouver a top 10 pick in the draft (which I think was more than his market value).

If he did know, he's not taking it well:

James Duthie @tsnjamesduthie 2h

Roberto Luongo: "I'm shocked! I have to let this sink in and figure out what I'm going to do."

If he did know, he's not taking it well:

James Duthie @tsnjamesduthie 2h

Roberto Luongo: "I'm shocked! I have to let this sink in and figure out what I'm going to do."

The deal was done Saturday night and kept quiet.

Lebrun on ESPN on the situation:

Now they have a disgruntled and confused Luongo on their hands, although the decision by Canucks owner Francisco Aquilini to fly to South Florida and meet Luongo at his doorstep was a good first step in trying to massage the situation. It’s going to need more massaging to convince Luongo that he wants to go back into the Canucks’ goal.

Personally, I don't see why Luongo would be upset. He agreed to be moved, they never found a proper suitor, and they traded Schnieder affirming that Luongo will be their starter once again. It's not like Schnieder outplayed Luongo last year either.