The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kanauhtli

The OFFICIAL Buy-Out Thread

The deal was done Saturday night and kept quiet.

Lebrun on ESPN on the situation:

Now they have a disgruntled and confused Luongo on their hands, although the decision by Canucks owner Francisco Aquilini to fly to South Florida and meet Luongo at his doorstep was a good first step in trying to massage the situation. It’s going to need more massaging to convince Luongo that he wants to go back into the Canucks’ goal.

Personally, I don't see why Luongo would be upset. He agreed to be moved, they never found a proper suitor, and they traded Schnieder affirming that Luongo will be their starter once again. It's not like Schnieder outplayed Luongo last year either.

This is just my personal opinion but I'm assuming Luongo was told that he was going to be moved so many times by the Canucks that he thought it was a matter of time before he was gone.  After being told several times that a deal was close he'd wanted the opportunity to put Vancouver behind him.  I do agree this is a message that he's here for the long haul.  As far as having his ego massaged I would never do that.  I would follow with a hey I'm sorry for telling you several times that you were on your way out but now it's a done deal that you're here for the long haul.

This is just my personal opinion but I'm assuming Luongo was told that he was going to be moved so many times by the Canucks that he thought it was a matter of time before he was gone.  After being told several times that a deal was close he'd wanted the opportunity to put Vancouver behind him.  I do agree this is a message that he's here for the long haul.  As far as having his ego massaged I would never do that.  I would follow with a hey I'm sorry for telling you several times that you were on your way out but now it's a done deal that you're here for the long haul.

I hear you...

To his credit the guy never complained. Was a good teammate, and from what I read very supportive of Schnieder.

I hear you...

To his credit the guy never complained. Was a good teammate, and from what I read very supportive of Schnieder.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Luongo asked to be traded, and has been very vocal to the media about his frustration over his contract preventing him from being traded. He does not want to play there anymore, and he has said quite a few things that he is going to have to backtrack on now that he is the presumed starter again, if he even shows up to training camp. 

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Luongo asked to be traded, and has been very vocal to the media about his frustration over his contract preventing him from being traded. He does not want to play there anymore, and he has said quite a few things that he is going to have to backtrack on now that he is the presumed starter again, if he even shows up to training camp. 

This is pretty much my take as well. The Canucks, Luongo and the fans were ready for a clean break. They had some good times, so bad times. But it's just that time to start anew. 

Personally I'm glad they're stuck together. Luongo isn't bad, by any stretch. It's just nice knowing, that not everyone got away with those big ass contracts and being screwed by it. 

Can't imagine having a disgruntled goal tender is good for anyone. Were it legitimate or self perceived bias.

I hear you...

You're right he never complained.  Now let's get some more rumors started and say that Luongo will be bought out next summer.  :) 

Yes, he asked for a trade in the off season (April 2012) after it was clear he wouldn't the starter... but that was a forgone conclusion. Gillis wasn't going to pay that money for a back-up was he? He worked with Gillis on making a trade happen and was in the best interest of everyone involved.

Vocal to the media? He "complained" about his "own" contract... "my contract sucks..." and it wasn't as if he felt under paid. It was that his contract made him unmovable... So yes, he complained about his own contract... not his playing time, not his back-up role... IMHO that's Getzlaf complaining that he needs to play better after a loss... or Perry chastising himself after missing an open net... or Ryan complaining about his inability stay on his skates...

Luongo was...

Never a distraction (in fact he vowed not to be).

Always ready to play (and promised he would always be ready).

Absolutely supportive of Schneider.

Never spoke ill of Gillis or the franchise.

In short, he was (and remains) a consummate professional.

Since when is April the "off season"? The whole point of the presser was to talk about why he hadn't been moved at the deadline. And in "complaining about his contract", he obviously wasn't actually complaining about being underpaid. When he said his contract sucks, the question he was asked was "what was the stumbling block to moving you?" If you watch that interview, you see a visibly upset Luongo having to answer questions about why he was still wearing a Vancouver sweater after the trade deadline. it has nothing to do with the off season. The rest of his answer was "it's unfortunately a big factor in trading me and it's probably why I'm still here."

And a guy can say he doesn't want to be a distraction, but holding a press conference (in Vancouver of all places!) to express your frustration about not being traded at the deadline, right in the middle of the stretch run leading up to the playoffs, is nothing but a distraction. 

Since when is April the "off season"? The whole point of the presser was to talk about why he hadn't been moved at the deadline. And in "complaining about his contract", he obviously wasn't actually complaining about being underpaid. When he said his contract sucks, the question he was asked was "what was the stumbling block to moving you?" If you watch that interview, you see a visibly upset Luongo having to answer questions about why he was still wearing a Vancouver sweater after the trade deadline. it has nothing to do with the off season. The rest of his answer was "it's unfortunately a big factor in trading me and it's probably why I'm still here."

And a guy can say he doesn't want to be a distraction, but holding a press conference (in Vancouver of all places!) to express your frustration about not being traded at the deadline, right in the middle of the stretch run leading up to the playoffs, is nothing but a distraction. 

Luongo plays for the Canucks not the Kings. They didn't play into May. He made his request on 4/26, the Canucks season ended on 4/22 when they were eliminated by the Kings in 5 games. It's that "off-season" I noted.

I know he wasn't complaining about being underpaid... which is why I point it out.

Here's what he said:

"I'm proud to be a Vancouver Canuck"

"My contract sucks -- that's what's the problem. I'd scrap it if I could now."

"It's a tough situation for everybody, no doubt/. We're obviously trying to make the best out of it and making sure that what's best for both sides is done. Obviously, the time isn't now, and we'll have to wait."

How can you pin this on Luongo? Because he had a uncomfortable press conference?

If the TRADE DEADLINE was a distraction for Vancouver, Luongo didn't make it such... he did not call that press conference... that press conference was conducted by the Canucks (see Canucks.com) after the trade deadline...  the overall distraction was Gillis not moving him before the season or during the season... and not being able to make a trade happen before the deadline. It's been Gillis with his goalie road show. The same Gillis who in HIS season ending  press conference was ADAMANT that Luongo would not be back as a Canuck (watch that video).

It's also not like Luongo went about bad mouthing the Canucks or Gillis here... this is light years away from what Bobby Ryan said over the summer. Come the end of the day, Luongo is no prima donna... Luongo was frustrated about the same things that Giguere was frustrated about and like Giguere went about addressing it in a professional manner. Can't say the same thing for Gillis, who should have lost his job over this issue alone.

Frankly I wish more athletes had the class Luongo has had through this entire period. Sports would be better for it.

Google "LUONGO" "CLASS" or better yet... his TWITTER @strombone1

I think you'll come across a bunch of writers who feel the same way I do and see him in a whole different light.

Yes, he asked for a trade in the off season (April 2012) after it was clear he wouldn't the starter... but that was a forgone conclusion. Gillis wasn't going to pay that money for a back-up was he? He worked with Gillis on making a trade happen and was in the best interest of everyone involved.

Vocal to the media? He "complained" about his "own" contract... "my contract sucks..." and it wasn't as if he felt under paid. It was that his contract made him unmovable... So yes, he complained about his own contract... not his playing time, not his back-up role... IMHO that's Getzlaf complaining that he needs to play better after a loss... or Perry chastising himself after missing an open net... or Ryan complaining about his inability stay on his skates...

Luongo was...

Never a distraction (in fact he vowed not to be).

Always ready to play (and promised he would always be ready).

Absolutely supportive of Schneider.

Never spoke ill of Gillis or the franchise.

In short, he was (and remains) a consummate professional.

You couldn't be any more right. It piddlees me right off when people say luongo isn't taking it well. He remained a class act through this entire ordeal (for the reasons you've mentioned), and it will serve him very well going forward. 

Luongo plays for the Canucks not the Kings. They didn't play into May. He made his request on 4/26, the Canucks season ended on 4/22 when they were eliminated by the Kings in 5 games. It's that "off-season" I noted.

I know he wasn't complaining about being underpaid... which is why I point it out.

Here's what he said:

"I'm proud to be a Vancouver Canuck"

"My contract sucks -- that's what's the problem. I'd scrap it if I could now."

"It's a tough situation for everybody, no doubt/. We're obviously trying to make the best out of it and making sure that what's best for both sides is done. Obviously, the time isn't now, and we'll have to wait."

How can you pin this on Luongo? Because he had a uncomfortable press conference?

If the TRADE DEADLINE was a distraction for Vancouver, Luongo didn't make it such... he did not call that press conference... that press conference was conducted by the Canucks (see Canucks.com) after the trade deadline...  the overall distraction was Gillis not moving him before the season or during the season... and not being able to make a trade happen before the deadline. It's been Gillis with his goalie road show. The same Gillis who in HIS season ending  press conference was ADAMANT that Luongo would not be back as a Canuck (watch that video).

It's also not like Luongo went about bad mouthing the Canucks or Gillis here... this is light years away from what Bobby Ryan said over the summer. Come the end of the day, Luongo is no prima donna... Luongo was frustrated about the same things that Giguere was frustrated about and like Giguere went about addressing it in a professional manner. Can't say the same thing for Gillis, who should have lost his job over this issue alone.

Frankly I wish more athletes had the class Luongo has had through this entire period. Sports would be better for it.

Google "LUONGO" "CLASS" or better yet... his TWITTER @strombone1

I think you'll come across a bunch of writers who feel the same way I do and see him in a whole different light.

No way. Is that really his twitter? He might be my new favorite player.

On that note, are there any parady Ducks accounts besides Getzlaf's hair? I loved the Condescending Torts one.

No way. Is that really his twitter? He might be my new favorite player.

On that note, are there any parady Ducks accounts besides Getzlaf's hair? I loved the Condescending Torts one.

Indeed it is...

Komisarek cashed in on one good season with the Canadiens.  Has anyone seen the Islander's buyouts?  They are still paying for Yashin's buyout and will have Dipietro's buyout unti 2029 (not cap hit but salary cost)!

Komisarek cashed in on one good season with the Canadiens.  Has anyone seen the Islander's buyouts?  They are still paying for Yashin's buyout and will have Dipietro's buyout unti 2029 (not cap hit but salary cost)!

DiPietro's contract was BRUTAL... now costing the Islanders $1.5 million a year until 2029.

DiPietro's contract was BRUTAL... now costing the Islanders $1.5 million a year until 2029.

I know.  Islanders shouldn't make contracts longer than 5 years.  They end up getting burned by them.

Busy day:

-Tom Gilbert in Minny

-Keith Ballard in Vancouver

-Carlo Colaiacovo in Detroit

-Sergei Kostitsyn in Nashville

-Nathan Gerbe in Buffalo

Any of those names peak anyone's interest?

Busy day:

-Tom Gilbert in Minny

-Keith Ballard in Vancouver

-Carlo Colaiacovo in Detroit

-Sergei Kostitsyn in Nashville

-Nathan Gerbe in Buffalo

Any of those names peak anyone's interest?

Negative!

Great quotes by Grabovski on Carlyle:

Don't put me on (bleeping) third line and (bleeping) expect me to play 6 minutes in a game.

He also called Carlyle a stupid coach among other things. Ha I guess Carlyle will always be hated by his players.

Haha. And thats the new "softer" Carlyle. 

Forgot to add that I'd still like Murray to pick him up (I believe he's still available). I think Grabo would be an upgrade over guys like Bonino or others.