The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

streamline

Kovalchuk Retires

Illya Kovalchuk to retire after 11 NHL seasons, goes back to Russia.   I am stunned....and feel very sorry for Devils fans.  A week after UFA and he pulls this?  I wonder if NJ mgmt had no idea, they could have made a move for a player if he announced this sooner,

Double stinger is that the NJ devils lost a 3rd and 1st Round Pick (2014 draft) for attempting to sign Kovalchuk to that ridiculous 17 year contract 3 years ago and now he has retired. Considering they weren't getting good value in the first place this really is a kick in the teeth to any NJ fans.

I know the new CBA has a provision on players with front-loaded contracts that retire early. What if they retire this early? Will the NHL still punish the Devils with Kovy's $6.389MM cap hit until 2025? Considering that there is still a lot of money left on the table it shouldn't count but I don't think anyone anticipated a player retiring a decade before the contract expired.

what the f.

I`m stunned. I always wanted good things for this guy. Can`t believe it.

Yes, i agree, "ha ha ha, New Jersey", but NHL is gonna miss a talent like that.

Just for the record.

He`s a PERFECT point per game player.  816 pts in 816 games. How about that?

I'm with JD, LOL @ NJ.

That being said, I'm pretty shocked that he's quitting the NHL already, I thought the guy had quite a few productive years left. I thought he would retire with his career stats among NHL history elites. A real shame to lose such a talent.

It looks like around a $250,000 annual cap recapture penalty to NJ through 2024-25.

If he's planning to play in the KHL he must be looking at a fat payday.

Most of the details have been released on Kovalchuk's retirement. Devils will be charged a $250K cap hit (which is nothing). Kovalchuk essentially becomes a ufa and can sign with any team in the KHL. Bob McKenzie stated that Kovalchuk will not lose any money because a KHL team will offer him that much. My issue is if this will create a precedent for those front loaded contracts. I don't want to see every front-loaded contract annulled to save their skin.

Edit: Darn you AD for beating me to the punch. :P

On the bright side for NJ fans, at least they now have plenty of cap space to re-sign Henrique to a solid contract. They also did well signing Clowe and Ryder. In fact, with those two added to the mix, I think Lou knew this was coming. Their top-6 will still be decent with Elias, Zajac, Henrique, Clowe, Ryder, and Zubrus.

He probably could've ended up being the top European goal scorer in league history if he played out his contract

Sucks for the Devils

NJ could`ve forfeited the 29th pick.... instead, they`re gonna probably lose a top 5 pick this season.

As I understand it, the Devils tried to forfeit the 29th pick, but for some reason were unable to do so.  

Double stinger is that the NJ devils lost a 3rd and 1st Round Pick (2014 draft) for attempting to sign Kovalchuk to that ridiculous 17 year contract 3 years ago and now he has retired. Considering they weren't getting good value in the first place this really is a kick in the teeth to any NJ fans.

Signing Kovy also basically pushed Parise out the door. He really screwed them. What a head case.

Signing Kovy also basically pushed Parise out the door. He really screwed them. What a head case.

The Devils tried to skirt the salary cap rules by creating such a ridiculously long contract. In the process they created a situation where a team such as the Devils could:

A) Average out the entire monetary value of contract over  more years than an average player's career  and  lower their effective salary cap hit.

B ) Front load the contract to make it enticing for the player to sign with them knowing full well that they would get the bulk of the money long before the contract expired and even if the player retired or was on IR the hit to the team salary cap would be minimal.

C) Set a precedent where a big market team could create these absurdly long contracts effectively locking out smaller market teams from competing  for high value players.(notable exception to this was the Wild signing Parise and Sutter each to 13 yr 100 mil contracts.)

New Jersey wasn't the first team to pull this sort of stunt, but theirs'  really stuck a finger in the eye of the NHL and the spirit of the salary cap that the owners(including NJ) demanded and ultimately caused the loss of the entire 2004-2005 season.

Normally I hate to see teams or franchises suffer because the players they put faith in and invested resources(draft picks,trades) screw them over (See Anaheim Ducks and Justin Schultz).

In this case I think it is a bit of karma. They should not get any of the draft picks they sacrificed to make the original deal back. They rolled the dice and they lost. End of story.

This is a big reason why NHL teams don't want to draft russians anymore, declining picks from russia each year. Same goes for Finns and Czechs and slovakians. They rather play a Dehydrated Donkey Dungty russian league.

He's probably going to make upwards to $20M a year in the KHL. He could make $150M in 8 years most likely. If family and security are the most important things in life, then I'm all for what Kovalchuk is doing. Believe me, I love SoCal and have lived here for 15 years, but at the end of the day home is where the heart is, and I will make my way back to Europe eventually.

He's probably going to make upwards to $20M a year in the KHL. He could make $150M in 8 years most likely. If family and security are the most important things in life, then I'm all for what Kovalchuk is doing. Believe me, I love SoCal and have lived here for 15 years, but at the end of the day home is where the heart is, and I will make my way back to Europe eventually.

Ya, but he 100% screwed NJ over

You guys really expect a person to waste 12 years of his life somewhere he doesn`t wanna be, doing something he doesn`t wanna do?

For all those who call Kovy selfish, think again who are the selfish ones.

I love my hometown, my family and friends back there, and even if it`s just 3 hours away, it still sucks to be somewhere else, just because of your job.

Ya, but he 100% screwed NJ over

Not 100%. But Lamoriello is one of the smartest hockey minds in the league. I was surprised he offered the ridiculous contract. New Jersey already screwed themselves over by losing draft picks and sucking up the entire payroll in a very very very small market. They lost Parise right away, couldn't afford Clarkson, and will have difficulties when they need to re-sign Henrique and other youngsters. Signing Kovalchuk was like stabbing knife in the Devils organization...Kovalchuk leaving will be a blessing in disguise and wil allow them to add more pieces in the future. Kovalchuk didn't screw them over. The Devils management did.

You guys really expect a person to waste 12 years of his life somewhere he doesn`t wanna be, doing something he doesn`t wanna do?

For all those who call Kovy selfish, think again who are the selfish ones. I love my hometown, my family and friends back there, and even if it`s just 3 hours away, it still sucks to be somewhere else, just because of your job.

I expect an athlete who signs a contract to honor it. Kovalchuk did not have to sign with the Devils. He wa sa UFA. He could have taken his game back to Russia instead of signing that deal. in the end, he absolutely hosed New Jersey.

you are over shooting a bit gilligoos

20 mill per year? not a fat chance,KHL also have a salary cap you know

$15-20MM.

Yes, they have a salary cap, but they could pay him off the roster money as well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/ilya-kovalchuk-join-ska-could-earn-20-million-210237775.html

I expect an athlete who signs a contract to honor it. Kovalchuk did not have to sign with the Devils. He wa sa UFA. He could have taken his game back to Russia instead of signing that deal. in the end, he absolutely hosed New Jersey.

I agree with you 100% with every type of contract you sign in life. Unfortunately the lockout opened Kovalchuk's eyes on how improved the KHL has become, and how much more comfortable he feels in the locker room speaking his native language. Also, sports agencies/sports contracts are a monster in itself. I can guarantee there was pressure coming from his agency and the Devils ownership. Yes I agree that he's an adult and can make adult choices, but there are hundreds of NHL athletes in the league and you know that a good percentage of people can't handle pressure well (the same with life and work)...Kovie was that person. Unfortunately he was one of the top players in the league and the spotlight was on him. In his eyes the KHL is much improved, so why should he be forced to play in a country he feels uncomfortable in?...he recognized the improvements in Russia during the lockout, after he signed the contract. Russian players are drafted in America because that was the only option for big money. Now there's money in their backyards.

For all those who call Kovy selfish, think again who are the selfish ones.

I love my hometown, my family and friends back there, and even if it`s just 3 hours away, it still sucks to be somewhere else, just because of your job.

I expect a person to honor a commitment that he made.  Kovalchuk didn't -need- to sign a 15 year contract.  That was his choice.  

You got 1 life to live. Ultimately, the only thing that matters in life is you, and your family being happy. Nothing else really matters.

I honestly do not believe for a second that this is all about money. I really don`t. He did make a mistake signing that long contract with NJ. But i bet that NJ wasn`t really expecting him to play for ALL those 15 years. When a team buys out a player, or places him on waivers, it`s the same freaking thing. Even though he`s getting paid, don`t you think Grabovski was piddleed as hell? When teams don`t want to honor contracts, you don`t blame them, like you blame Kovalchuk. In sports, not just NHL, teams and owners screw over players way more than other way around.

I wanna see Kovy play in NHL as much as you guys do, trust me. But it`s 12 years of a man`s life. Unless it`s rape/crime/etc, no mistake should be that costly. He made a brave choice, going back home. And i got nothing but respect for that.

All in all, you gotta put things in perspective. Your life, and you, as a human being, are more important than a contract, fans, the game of hockey, a team, and everything else.

I don't think he made a brave choice at all.  He's going to a place he feels more comfortable, to make even more money.