The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

poum

Pavel Bure # Retired

Canucks be raising Bure to the rafters. Great player although always surrounded by controversy. He left the Canucks in a bad way. Don't know enough about it to say it was Bure just being a horses ass or if management was really screwing him (Burke and Murray). 

This does bring up another question. This horse has already been beaten to death and some. Might as well poke it with a stick too now. Does this open up the way for Kariya getting the same treatment in Anaheim. Obviously Selanne is first and foremost. Anyone who says otherwise needs to be slapped. 

Edit: heh the number symbol just looks a hash tag. Damn internet.

poum, I wonder if Bure's HOF induction had anything to do with it. Maybe that forced the Nucks to move on something they would not have otherwise done. It probably would have made them look bad to have Bure in the HOF but not have his number retired in Vancouver. Just like it would make our franchise look bad too if PK was inducted but his jersey was not hanging in the rafters at the Ponda.

Canucks be raising Bure to the rafters. Great player although always surrounded by controversy. He left the Canucks in a bad way. Don't know enough about it to say it was Bure just being a horses ass or if management was really screwing him (Burke and Murray). 

This does bring up another question. This horse has already been beaten to death and some. Might as well poke it with a stick too now. Does this open up the way for Kariya getting the same treatment in Anaheim. Obviously Selanne is first and foremost. Anyone who says otherwise needs to be slapped. 

Edit: heh the number symbol just looks a hash tag. Damn internet.

Bure was a huge part of Vancouver's team.  Retired numbers should be mostly about what the player did on the ice.  After a couple decades or so the stats will stand out the most about his career.  Vancouver fans will be proud to have had him when the history of that franchise is written.

With regards to Kariya, I still say just put his name/number in the rafters (after Selanne,) but #9 doesn't have to be retired.  Toronto has tons of guys up there, but not all of them are retired numbers.  Their players would be wearing triple digits if they were.  I am not against retiring his number either tho.  I just think its a nice way to honor him without angering the fans who are still bitter about him.  One day, Ducks fans will be proud to have had Kariya as a member of their alumni as well.