The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DucksFanInIE

Kings Having Salary Cap Issues?

Was looking at capgeek and saw the kings have only 253k in cap space. With 9 defenseman signed to one way contracts, 12 Fwds signed to one way contracts, 1player on a two way, and they just signed Clifford..numbers weren't posted yet....

So if I'm understanding it right. They might be in a Lil trouble.

http://www.capgeek.com/kings/

I don't agree with you that they are in cap trouble per se. They have key players Kopitar, Brown, Williams, Richards, Carter, Stoll, Doughty, Regehr, Voynov, Quick, and Muzzin, for this year and next year (and more years for most of the players listed). They are currently just over $100k over the cap. All they need to do is trade Greene for picks and they'll be ok going into next year. The cap will increase again in 2014 and 2015, possibly back to $70M...the Kings, unfortunately, are not in that bad of a situation as people think. They have their core players playing for several years to come. What the Kings need to focus on is scoring, not so much the salary cap.

I don't agree with you that they are in cap trouble per se. They have key players Kopitar, Brown, Williams, Richards, Carter, Stoll, Doughty, Regehr, Voynov, Quick, and Muzzin, for this year and next year (and more years for most of the players listed). They are currently just over $100k over the cap. All they need to do is trade Greene for picks and they'll be ok going into next year. The cap will increase again in 2014 and 2015, possibly back to $70M...the Kings, unfortunately, are not in that bad of a situation as people think. They have their core players playing for several years to come. What the Kings need to focus on is scoring, not so much the salary cap.

This. Except that I am thinking they will keep Greene and put Mitchell on LTIR. Last I heard, Lombardi was saying that Mitchell's knee could keep him out of at least part of the 2013-14 season. That's probably why they've loaded up on D-men with the one-way deals - i.e. they probably don't expect Mitchell to play. LTIR removes Mitchell's $3.5mil from their cap for this season, and his current contract expires next summer. 

It pains me to say this, but Lombardi has been looking like a genius in building that team with long-term affordable contracts. IMO, Boston and LA have been the two most impressive teams in terms of building a top-to-bottom roster within the current cap structure.

This. Except that I am thinking they will keep Greene and put Mitchell on LTIR. Last I heard, Lombardi was saying that Mitchell's knee could keep him out of at least part of the 2013-14 season. That's probably why they've loaded up on D-men with the one-way deals - i.e. they probably don't expect Mitchell to play. LTIR removes Mitchell's $3.5mil from their cap for this season, and his current contract expires next summer. 

It pains me to say this, but Lombardi has been looking like a genius in building that team with long-term affordable contracts. IMO, Boston and LA have been the two most impressive teams in terms of building a top-to-bottom roster within the current cap structure.

Can I THIS a THIS?

Both you gentleman are bang on. Kings and Bruins have set the table to be very competitive over a decent stretch of time.