The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AustinDuck27

How We'd Fix It: The Nhl

Thanks for posting. here are my main points:

1) Fix the standing: If the NHL is keen on keeping the shootout because of the excitement it brings to non-hardcore hockey fans, then I believe they should just go with the 3 point system. 3 points for a win, 2 points for OT and SO win, 0 point regulation loss, and 1 point for OT and SO loss. That's how it's done in Europe, and in IIHF competition. It makes winning in regulation more significant in the latter part of the season. Teams may play it safe in regulation and try to get the extra point in OT, but they will still get one point less than the team who wins in regulation. Plus, why are Americans so focused on the ".500" number.....if you're in a playoff spot, then you're in a playoff spot. With the 3 point system, you can keep OT at 5 min (4 v 4)...no need to make games longer.

2) Agreed with the puck over glass penalty. Eliminate it. I've always said that clearing a puck over the glass is the same mentality as icing the puck. How about no timeouts after icing/clearing pucks to make the punishment more significant, especially in the dying minutes of the game. The debacle of the Sharks getting called for clearing the puck over the glass despite video evidence showing that a King touched it pretty much allowed the Kings a chance to win the series.

3) Hybrid icing: I prefer the rule now where trailing players ease up, and hits on an icing are automatic penalties, despite how minor the hit is. My fear with hybrid icing is that players will sprint to the face-off circle at high speed and once the linesman waves of the icing if he deems so, then the two players are basically going to the boards at much higher speeds as opposed to the trailing player easing up. The collision on the board will be more violent in my opinion. To avoid violent collisions, keep icing as is (with minor penalty when hitting the opposing player) or just go with no touch icing.

4) Diving: Easy solution--allow post-game video review. Fine player for first offense, 1 game suspension for second, 5 game suspension for third. The game is so fast that refs have no way of distinguishing dives, which is why the NHL needs post-game reviews. Easiest solution....just suspend Brown and Datsyuk for the first 5 games of the season.

5) Make the ice bigger by making goals shallower for more space behind and around the goal....Perry needs more room behind the goal. Make the ice bigger by creating more space by having one ref view and call the game from the penalty box. One ref and two linesmen on the ice is enough.

6) Obstruction must be called in the playoffs.

7) Keep fighting in the game. Emotions are eased with fights. We don't need a player relieve his frustration by ramming a guy head first into the board or knocking him out with an elbow.

8) Eliminate instigator penalties to punish weasels like Carcillo.

My idea:  When a goalie is called for a foul, the team that was fouled gets to choose which opposing player sits out the penalty instead of allowing the goalies' team to choose. 

Goalies' knee pads need to get smaller to open up the goal for more scoring.  This, in place of making the goals bigger.

I like a number of the concepts presented, however I think the best of the bunch was Adam Gold's idea that was presented at the Sloan Conference last year in Boston regarding the draft.

Grantland below:

Here's how it works: The top draft positions will be awarded based on points earned after playoff elimination. Once a team is officially out of the playoff race, it starts the clock on amassing points toward its draft position. Bad teams still get an advantage (because they're eliminated earlier), but now the emphasis is on winning, not just on riding out the string. It's relatively simple, and it's brilliant.

You're telling me you wouldn't be excited the day the "no. 1 overall pick points" column appeared in the standings? If we were lucky, we could even have late-season showdowns for the top picks. And fans watching those games would actually be cheering for their own teams to win. Imagine that.

I like a number of the concepts presented, however I think the best of the bunch was Adam Gold's idea that was presented at the Sloan Conference last year in Boston regarding the draft.

Grantland below:

Here's how it works: The top draft positions will be awarded based on points earned after playoff elimination. Once a team is officially out of the playoff race, it starts the clock on amassing points toward its draft position. Bad teams still get an advantage (because they're eliminated earlier), but now the emphasis is on winning, not just on riding out the string. It's relatively simple, and it's brilliant.

You're telling me you wouldn't be excited the day the "no. 1 overall pick points" column appeared in the standings? If we were lucky, we could even have late-season showdowns for the top picks. And fans watching those games would actually be cheering for their own teams to win. Imagine that.

I'll 2nd this. Love this idea, give the fans of teams in the cellar something to take interest in rather than the usual tank job.

I only have one idea... turn the Department of Player Safety over to retired referees and linesmen, not retired players. Not that I love the refs, but I'd rather see the wheels of justice spun by a roundtable of Kerry Fraser, Terry Gregson and Ray Scapinella than I would having biased former players like Shanahan and Rob Blake making the decisions. We might actually get a fair shake that way.

I only have one idea... turn the Department of Player Safety over to retired referees and linesmen, not retired players. Not that I love the refs, but I'd rather see the wheels of justice spun by a roundtable of Kerry Fraser, Terry Gregson and Ray Scapinella than I would having biased former players like Shanahan and Rob Blake making the decisions. We might actually get a fair shake that way.

Amen! The DPS needs an overhaul, and I've thought the retired (respected) refs would be a good place to turn as well. Many may still have a desire to be connected to the game somehow and make an impact after retirement, and this would be the perfect way to do that.

Agreed. Former players will carry their bias to the grave...

I suggested each period is a game within itself. 2 points up for grabs 3 times a night=3 times the excitement. Imagine getting the privilege to watch 3 shootouts! 9 points up for grabs then, way better than 3!

Also, every team gets Sidney Crosby for a determined number of games. And it is legal to bodycheck teammates.

Grantland below:

yepp, maybe the best idea in the whole article.

i have to say though, i liked nearly every single point presented in that article