Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

The Ducks' Cup Window (New Poster Here!)

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 erikahillskemper

erikahillskemper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

Hey everyone,

I figured I should introduce myself. I grew up in So Cal and I've been a Ducks fan since the inaugural season. I read this forum all the time and this year I decided to join the fray. 

Does anyone agree that this coming season marks the beginning of a new Cup window for the team? We have experienced stars (Getzy & Perry), cheap young talent (Palmieri et al), a nice stock of picks and prospects from the Ryan trade, and excellent goaltending. I feel like the only thing missing from the formula is a top-flight offensive Dman, but Fowler may yet develop into one. I'm not saying we're a perfect team, but there's a lot to like. And hey, if Selanne comes back we'll even have the whole "old guy fighting for his last Cup before retirement" narrative, a la Ray Bourque, Dave Andreychuck, Mark Recchi, etc.

Am I being too optimistic here? And I'm looking forward to talking more with everyone as we get closer to the season.

#2 erikahillskemper

erikahillskemper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to change your screen name? This is my old one and I was trying to replace it with a new one.

#3 Spencer_12

Spencer_12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

I think we're getting there, and we're pretty close. I think a lot of stuff has to go right if this year is going to be year 1 of the cup window. So many of our young guys would all have to take huge steps, Fowler would have to take a big step, Sbisa would need to improve, and Getzlaf would have to continue where he left off, while Perry would need to bounce back.

I'd say the real opening of our cup window (as in the first year we're true contenders) is still about 2 years away +/- a year depending on trades, free agent signings, and growth of our young guys.

Welcome to the forum!

#4 squitman

squitman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationKerwood, Ontario, Canada (Just outside Strathroy)

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

I think our cup window opens next year, this year is more of a fine tuning for the future type season, I can see us making a strong run if we have a similar season and can get a strong, solid top defensemen at the trade deadline that may keep the window open for an extra year or two. (It's always fun to predict the future.) As for changing your screen name, you should ask one of the mods, they should be able to answer your question.

Welcome to the forums, I can't wait to hear your opinions on our various topics.

#5 ZTHER

ZTHER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,659 posts
  • LocationIrvine, CA

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:40 PM

Hey everyone,

I figured I should introduce myself. I grew up in So Cal and I've been a Ducks fan since the inaugural season. I read this forum all the time and this year I decided to join the fray. 

Does anyone agree that this coming season marks the beginning of a new Cup window for the team? We have experienced stars (Getzy & Perry), cheap young talent (Palmieri et al), a nice stock of picks and prospects from the Ryan trade, and excellent goaltending. I feel like the only thing missing from the formula is a top-flight offensive Dman, but Fowler may yet develop into one. I'm not saying we're a perfect team, but there's a lot to like. And hey, if Selanne comes back we'll even have the whole "old guy fighting for his last Cup before retirement" narrative, a la Ray Bourque, Dave Andreychuck, Mark Recchi, etc.

Am I being too optimistic here? And I'm looking forward to talking more with everyone as we get closer to the season.

Way (way way way) too optimistic...

The earliest the window opens is next season and frankly unless Lindholm or Etem or some of the other young guys really surprise, I think it's more realistic that the window opens in in 2015-16 (and Murray is going to have to make some keen moves to make that happen as well).

This season, I don't see Anaheim winning the division again... and it could come down to the last few weeks to determine if they're even a playoff caliber team.

#6 gorbachav5

gorbachav5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,730 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:03 PM

I think it opens next season.  Hopefully one of Silvferberg, Etem and Palmieri show they can play on the top line, while at least one of the others shows they can be a second line contributor.  Holland either becomes a second line center or trade bait.  

The biggest question mark is on defense.  If the young guys (Lindholm, Vatanen, Fowler, Sbisa) don't make any progress, it's going to be really difficult to build a Stanley Cup caliber defense corps through trade and free agency.

#7 ayrton2388

ayrton2388

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:19 AM

Honestly, i believe we`re in a really, really tough division, for the coming years. Getting in the top 3 could be even harder than we imagine.

#8 duck123

duck123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:05 AM

To be honest, I truly believe every team that makes the playoffs has a chance at the Cup.  As long as we make it, we can win the Cup.  Teams in all sports often come out of nowhere and win a championship.  Who honestly would have said the Ducks window to winning the Cup would have opened before the 2002-2003 season?  And who honestly would have said the Kings had a chance to win the Cup when they barely made the playoffs a couple of years ago as the 8th seed?  A team just needs to be clicking at the end of the season for a chance to win.  I do not think a team needs to worry about having a star defenseman, as long as the teams defense as a whole is clicking.  The Rangers often have star players and when is the last time they have been to a Cup Finals? 

Winning a cup is more about team chemistry then star players.  So the question to ask is if the Ducks will have enough team chemistry to win a Cup this year?  Well, last year we had only 1 line that had very good chemistry-the third line.

When we won the Cup, our Getzlaf line had just as good chemistry (if not better) as our third line last season.  If they can play that way again this year, hopefully we will have two great lines with chemistry.  And if we can manage a second line with great chemistry, I like our chances at a Cup run.

Edited by duck123, 15 August 2013 - 03:05 AM.

#9 mytduxfan

mytduxfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:51 AM

I think we're getting there, and we're pretty close. I think a lot of stuff has to go right if this year is going to be year 1 of the cup window. So many of our young guys would all have to take huge steps, Fowler would have to take a big step, Sbisa would need to improve, and Getzlaf would have to continue where he left off, while Perry would need to bounce back.

I'd say the real opening of our cup window (as in the first year we're true contenders) is still about 2 years away +/- a year depending on trades, free agent signings, and growth of our young guys.

Welcome to the forum!

Way (way way way) too optimistic...

The earliest the window opens is next season and frankly unless Lindholm or Etem or some of the other young guys really surprise, I think it's more realistic that the window opens in in 2015-16 (and Murray is going to have to make some keen moves to make that happen as well).

This season, I don't see Anaheim winning the division again... and it could come down to the last few weeks to determine if they're even a playoff caliber team.

So basically, when we can dump Souray and Allen... sounds about right! :)

#10 DUCKSDOC

DUCKSDOC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts
  • LocationRIVERSIDE, CA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

Z is correct on everything EXCEPT the playoff comment. I don't think we will win the Division but I do think we should make the playoffs because we are in a 14 team conference AND  the Wings are on the East coast ( where they belong) . We only need to have our players play up the their talent level ( esp the goalies) and we should make it fairly east. IMHO

#11 dtsdlaw

dtsdlaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

Hey everyone,

Welcome Erik! Nice to have you on board.

I think it's hard to say if we even have a "Cup window" in the first place. With all of the kids expected to fill important roles, I don't think we are built to win it all this year. I also expect a lot of turnover in the next season or two. We could see half the roster that ended the 2012-13 season turned over in just two years. Koivu, Cogs and Winnik will all be entering this season on expiring contracts and I suspect at least two of them won't be Ducks in 2014-15 . Same with Hiller. Beauch, Souray and Allen will also be on expiring contracts in 2014-15, and all of them are entering (or in) their twilight years. And I highly doubt we'll be on Teemu watch after this summer. The thing is, we don't have a lot of core guys in the "prime" of their careers (i.e. ages 26-32). Aside from the twins, the core guys are either really old or really young. So I think there's still going to be a bit of re-tooling and maturing before we are able to truly open up a "Cup window", in terms of a window where we will look like a front-runner. Maybe 2-3 years from now, and that's if the young guys are able to step up and if the GM is able to add a few good pieces to fill spots that open up.

But then again, I also agree with Duck123, because once you're in the playoffs you never know what can happen. If Beauch's knee was healthy and Corey Perry was scoring, I still think we could have made a run this past season.

#12 Ducks_Roll

Ducks_Roll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

If you think the Kings were a shocking winner in 2012, you weren't paying attention. Their only hole was scoring, which they picked up (via Carter) at the trade deadline. Getting hot at season's end/playoffs (particularly Brown) made them unstoppable.

I was hoping the last week or two of the season that they'd have bad luck and miss the playoffs. No such luck. It wasn't a surprise that they won at all. The only surprise was that they played so bad during the season to barely make the playoffs. They were clearly the best team in the West regardless of what the standings said.

#13 dtsdlaw

dtsdlaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

If you think the Kings were a shocking winner in 2012, you weren't paying attention. Their only hole was scoring, which they picked up (via Carter) at the trade deadline. Getting hot at season's end/playoffs (particularly Brown) made them unstoppable.

I was hoping the last week or two of the season that they'd have bad luck and miss the playoffs. No such luck. It wasn't a surprise that they won at all. The only surprise was that they played so bad during the season to barely make the playoffs. They were clearly the best team in the West regardless of what the standings said.

This is true, but how many people picked New Jersey to be their opponent in the final? That was definitely a shocker.

#14 ZTHER

ZTHER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,659 posts
  • LocationIrvine, CA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:17 PM

This is true, but how many people picked New Jersey to be their opponent in the final? That was definitely a shocker.

Didn't you pick them in the East?! LOL

#15 mardy

mardy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:12 PM

I think the window starts next season, but if a few of the rookies turn out to have an "Etem Year" this season, then you know what, you just never know.  We'll know when Murray sees the window open, because he'll likely package some of the excess players and picks to a team out of the playoffs and wanting to shed salary at the deadline.  That's likely to happen this or next year, as a team isn't going to keep carrying so many young talents with no room for them all.

#16 ritz10hock

ritz10hock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:22 PM

We are probably a year or two from being a legitimate Cup contender. I think we know there is potential for a very solid offensive club for years to come, but that all depends on how some of the kids develop. Fortunately, we have the two studs to build around with Getz and Perry.

Really how our young defensemen come of age will tell whether or not this team will get their names on the Cup again. Either Fowler can turn into the guy we projected after his fantastic rookie campaign, or he can continue to go through growing pains and issues staying healthy. How good Lindholm ends up being is a big factor too. I think a lot of people are counting on him to be a top 4 defenseman by 14-15.

I'll respectfully disagree with zther's opinion on our playoff chances. Looking at the division, you have LA which is probably the clear favorite. SJ and Vancouver were both playoff teams last year, but their arrows are probably pointing down at this point. Players like Thornton, Marleau, and the Sedins are only getting older. Plus, who really knows whats going on with the Canucks' goaltending situation. Edmonton has all those high draft picks, but Ill stay conservative on their end until they grow up a little bit. Too much one-way hockey going on up there, with no defensive game to speak of. Also, the advantage the Ducks will have is that every night, they will have a solid goaltender that can win a game for us. Some of these other clubs probably wish they had even one reliable netminder. 

Perhaps we werent really the 2nd best team in the West last year. But looking at our record against the better clubs in our conference, I wouldnt say it was a complete fluke either.

#17 DucksFan_08

DucksFan_08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • LocationAntwerp, Belgium

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:40 AM

It's too early for The Cup this season IMO. We have a solid core but not solid enough to compete with the best. Depending on how fast some of the younglings develop we'll open that window sooner. Palmieri & Etem are great but they're not there yet. Hell the same might be said for Fowler although he really impressed me during The Playoffs.

We look great offensively I think. We have guys that can score, check, play D and do all of those things. A lot of them (Palmieri, Etem, Silfverberg) will only get better in the course of this season. But we lack a solid D man. Vatanen nor Lindholm will fill that hole. I'm curious to see how our goaltending will develop because we have two good ones in Hiller & Fasth and a very interesting prospect (Gibson). There doesn't seem to be that big of a market for goalies right now but if there's a demand we might have a valuable piece on our hands (maybe packaged with a decent prospect and/or pick).

Murray has some more work to do but the future is bright and I think we'll definitely compete for a Playoff spot.

#18 AustinDuck27

AustinDuck27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:17 AM

I don't think you can pinpoint a Cup window just yet. There are many good things going for us, but there are also many uncertainties that have to play out first. As we stand, I consider us a fringe playoff team with a ton of x-factor that could surprise some people if we catch a little fire (and have some luck, especially with injuries). I wouldn't be at all surprised if we fall short of the playoffs, or if we see the WCF. Of course, that seems to be the case every year.

As far as a Cup window goes, we have too many young players filling key roles and a defense that while decent, is injury prone and lacking a quality player or two in their primes. Several key contracts including Hiller's will be an issue come the trade deadline, and with our cap situation it's not clear that we should re-sign everyone or that we actually have solid replacements for those guys just yet. I don't see it as a huge problem, but it does complicate any hopes of a Cup run.

I think the Cup window opens when the blueline is solidified by either substantial growth from within, or by acquiring the missing pieces from outside. That is also assuming that this event falls within a certain time frame. Which includes:

-Maintaining strong goaltending

-Getz and Perry still being on top of their games and near their primes.

-The young guys still being affordable, before any need to be moved for cap reasons.

-Before the older players see a substantial drop in their play (or ability to stay healthy), reach the end of their contracts or retire.

Currently I'd put us somewhere between Emdonton of the last couple years and LA just before they won the Cup. We could go either way depending on how the kids pan out, and whether Murray is able to do what D. Lombardi did by making the key moves at the right time to get the roster where it needs to be for a serious Cup run.

I'm optimistic though, I think we are going to be a blast to watch and are very capable of making the playoffs this season. As others have said, once you're in anything can happen.

Edited by AustinDuck27, 16 August 2013 - 09:19 AM.

#19 cyduck

cyduck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, California

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:51 AM

I honestly think the cup window will open next year but I do think we can win the division this year and get past the first round. LA lost some pieces and Carter won't be as hot as he was last year. San Jose keeps getting older as does Vancouver. I don't see the Yotes making it I think they will be a 10th seed. Edmonton will finish either 7/8/9th and Calgary is rebuilding.

#20 pondplayer

pondplayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationMammoth Lakes

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

IMHO I think there are steps you have to take and hopefully next year we at least take a step by winning a playoff series or two...once these young kids learn what it takes to win I think we can be very dangerous team...then we can start talking cup window.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

AnaheimDucks.com is the official Web site of the Anaheim Ducks. Anaheim Ducks and AnaheimDucks.com are trademarks of Anaheim Ducks Hockey Club, LLC. NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 Anaheim Ducks Hockey Club, LLC and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy     Contact Us    Jobs     Honda Center    Corporate Partnerships   Terms of Use   NHL TicketExchange  Site Map AdChoices