The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lovemyducks

Sabres Vs Leafs Preseason Fight..omg

I love everything about it except for the fact that a big 6'8" goon chose to pick a fight against Kessel, and that Kessel chose to swing his stick three times to hurt another player. Show some respect for the game for crying out loud.

Agree about the big goon. I was not laughing at all of it, so sorry.

I believe that one of the guys landed on the ice without his helmet, that was not good. Hope he is okay.

I just thought it was funny, when the two goalies went at it.

The whole thing got out of hand. I know us hockey fans like the fights, but when the guys start showing disrespect and doing something stupid, then it needs to stop.

Wow thanks for sharing, love it!  And it's a nothing pre-season game, my gosh.  Kessel using the stick is just dumb though, big guy fighting small guy is nothing new in hockey, but you don't slash & spear people with a stick during these fights.

Love the goalie fight, don't see that often :)

I've never wished an injury on a player before,  I want Kessel out though.  I HATE what he did with his stick... Pathetic coward.  

Literally can't believe he was chopping away like that,  especially the second chop when Scott has his back turned.  Unbelievable.  Gogo "torn ACL" or something for that scumbag Kessel.

EDIT:  everyone on tsn and whatnot is saying Scott deserved what he got and keeps saying things like "he should only get 1-2 games for slashing a goon".  Who cares if its a goon?  Show some respect for the other players on the ice,  goon or not.  Whether you like Scott or not he was playing within the confines of the game,  dropping his gloves to fight.

I've never wished an injury on a player before,  I want Kessel out though.  I HATE what he did with his stick... Pathetic coward.  

Literally can't believe he was chopping away like that,  especially the second chop when Scott has his back turned.  Unbelievable.  Gogo "torn ACL" or something for that scumbag Kessel.

EDIT:  everyone on tsn and whatnot is saying Scott deserved what he got and keeps saying things like "he should only get 1-2 games for slashing a goon".  Who cares if its a goon?  Show some respect for the other players on the ice,  goon or not.  Whether you like Scott or not he was playing within the confines of the game,  dropping his gloves to fight.

This. Kessel didn't have to engage with Scott. He could have just ignored Scott and kept playing, leaving Scott standing there gloveless and without a stick, and absolutely no one would have questioned Kessel for doing that. Instead, Kessel made the first move by grabbing Scott before the puck was even dropped. If you don't want to fight a goon, don't turn around and engage him. That was a stupid move by Kessel.

btw, I also understand why Buffalo was upset about the Tropp-Devane fight. Tropp wanted it, yes. But at the end of that fight after Tropp had been whipped, Devane laid his forearm into Tropp's head as they were going down and basically drove his head into the ice. From the ice level camera (and probably what they saw from the Sabres bench), that was clearly an extra cheap shot on a guy who was completely defenseless.

Wow what a copout by the league. Kessel got suspended for 3 "preseason" games. And that for slashing and spearing an opponent to intentionally trying to hurt him. As always they are protecting the star player. Kessel = money maker for the Leafs pockets, and the Leafs = biggest money maker in the NHL. Kessel should at least have been suspended for 1 or 2 regular season games where it counts. It's preseason...Carlyle may not even have chosen to put him in the lineup for 2 of the 3 final preseason games. Once again, the league's disciplinary committee has failed again.

Wow what a copout by the league. Kessel got suspended for 3 "preseason" games. And that for slashing and spearing an opponent to intentionally trying to hurt him. As always they are protecting the star player. Kessel = money maker for the Leafs pockets, and the Leafs = biggest money maker in the NHL. Kessel should at least have been suspended for 1 or 2 regular season games where it counts. It's preseason...Carlyle may not even have chosen to put him in the lineup for 2 of the 3 final preseason games. Once again, the league's disciplinary committee has failed again.

Shanahan is garbage,  I can't believe this either.  Kessel doesn't even lose any pay for these preseason games and will get a much-needed break while he waits for the season to start...  Unreal.

If this happened 6 years ago, (when I was still a Leafs fan) I would have been disgraced to call myself a leafs fan. What Kessel did was complete crap, period. The fact he only got suspended for the rest of the preseason by Shanahan makes me more angry. I have lost the remaining respect for the Leafs that I once had, no more will I look at them as my second favorite team. I feel bad for anyone that is a Leafs fan, just the league playing favorites again (protecting certain teams and players), nothing new. Now we will just have to wait to see how long until our Ducks become the targets again. (Sorry for the rant, this stuff just really enrages me.)

Scott didn't seem to be injured by the Kessel stickwork as far as I know, I assume that's why Phil didn't get a stiffer penalty. Kessel was about as blatant as humanly possible, but I can't say I've never seen Perry or even Teemu respond the same way when victims of goonery. 

Scott didn't seem to be injured by the Kessel stickwork as far as I know, I assume that's why Phil didn't get a stiffer penalty. Kessel was about as blatant as humanly possible, but I can't say I've never seen Perry or even Teemu respond the same way when victims of goonery. 

I've never seen ANYONE wait for another player to be engaged and then slowly skate around behind him and take his time to line up a slash to the guys ankle.

I've never seen ANYONE wait for another player to be engaged and then slowly skate around behind him and take his time to line up a slash to the guys ankle.

Don't get me wrong, Kessel was ridiculously blatant with that one. But seeing a skill guy get angry and slash a tougher player with the same aggression isn't so uncommon. And they rarely get supplementary discipline, Ususally handled with in-game penalties. Kessel was given a suspension for a few more games, seems about right to me.

I wonder what would happen if Teemu pulled a move like this in today's NHL?  :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlZK9ewFMCs

Don't get me wrong, Kessel was ridiculously blatant with that one. But seeing a skill guy get angry and slash a tougher player with the same aggression isn't so uncommon. And they rarely get supplementary discipline, Ususally handled with in-game penalties. Kessel was given a suspension for a few more games, seems about right to me.

I wonder what would happen if Teemu pulled a move like this in today's NHL?  :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlZK9ewFMCs

Yes, but what IS uncommon is for the recipient of the slash to already be engaged with two other players in a scrum after the whistle had blown play dead. That was chicken-[bleep]. He should have gotten at least one regular season game. By not giving him a regular season game, the league has made the preseason "open season" for cheap-shotting other players IMO.

btw, Selanne should have gotten a one-game suspension too. The league needs to crack down on the extra stick work. 

Wow. Kessel, what a shart stain.

It's also nice to be able to like Bernier. Now that he's not with them. It's not like I like the Leafs, but I'm not actively rooting against them either (until Leafs fans feel entitled to a Ducks RFA).

Didn't Bernier and Miller toss their masks? I thought that was illegal and subject to suspension as well.

It's old time hockey. Kessel has no business throwing punches at the much bigger Scott so I get the self defense tactics, and I appreciate him coming around and cheapshotting Scott later for trying to come at him and hurt him. Then Kessel wins a fight with someone his own size.

That is a player who can protect himself and won't turtle. Truculence. He was responding to a threat, so I get it, even if its suspension worthy.

If you want to thumb your nose, why not do it towards the big goon who clearly was not giving Kessel an option about getting punched in the face? Or Clarkson for leaving the bench?

and holy crap are we in for it if guys are going to be forced to fight with visors on.

I disagree, Joey. Scott didn't try to hurt Kessel at all. He had every opportunity to grab him and ragdoll him or throw punches into his head, and instead he just let Kessel go. He didn't grab him or throw a single punch. The replays show that it was pretty clear Scott wasn't targeting Kessel for a fight, but just wanted to fight someone and Kessel was the closest player at that moment. But as soon a Kessel backed off and another Leafs player entered the scene, Scott completely diverted his attention from Kessel and started throwing with the other (two) Leafs players. If Scott had wanted to hurt Kessel, he very easily could have. That should have been obvious to Kessel. So for him to cheapshot Scott in that circumstance, that's bush league IMO.

I disagree, Joey. Scott didn't try to hurt Kessel at all. He had every opportunity to grab him and ragdoll him or throw punches into his head, and instead he just let Kessel go. He didn't grab him or throw a single punch. The replays show that it was pretty clear Scott wasn't targeting Kessel for a fight, but just wanted to fight someone and Kessel was the closest player at that moment. But as soon a Kessel backed off and another Leafs player entered the scene, Scott completely diverted his attention from Kessel and started throwing with the other (two) Leafs players. If Scott had wanted to hurt Kessel, he very easily could have. That should have been obvious to Kessel. So for him to cheapshot Scott in that circumstance, that's bush league IMO.

I'm not really sure what video you watched. They lined up for the faceoff and as soon as they bumped shoulders the gloves FLEW off and Scott went after Kessel. Moving towards him with fists ready to go which is why Kessel was backing up and slashing for survival. That's what skill/nonfighting players do to protect themselves. If Scott got Kessel within arm's reach then he would for sure have punched him in the face repeatedly. You don't need to look far to see how an unevenly matched fight can be VERY harmful. Even our beloved Fedoruk has had his face crushed in by a well placed heavyweight fist. If Scott's intent wasn't to beat up Kessel, then why did Clarkson take the 10 game suspension to jump off the bench and defend him?

Your claim that Scott diverted his attention to the other two players trying to fight him is accurate. Obviously? He got jumped by two guys defending their star player. Is your claim that he could still choose to not fight those two guys who jumped him and continue after Kessel?

Kessel was obviously very heated by Scott's intentions towards him, which lead to his successful line brawl fight and cheap shots. I like that attitude in a star player, it shows he can take care of himself. Its much easier to real that back when the games count than to teach a soft goal scorer with no fight in him to physically impose himself in the playoffs.

Preseason suspension for the slashes while Scott was tangled up with other players was fine. In game penalties for the slashes while Scott was engaging him is fine-provided Scott also gets penalties for his role (mainly to get both players off the ice to diffuse the situation).