The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jasoaks

New Playoffs

Can someone please explain to me how the new playoff system works??? I keep seeing the same explanation on the internet - but it just brushes over the 2nd round...I just don't understand.

So, for the Western Conference - I get how the first round works.

top 3 teams of the two divisions make it in...and then the next 2 teams in the conference with the most points regardless of division.

Round 1 - 1 vs 8 / Other Division Champ vs 7 / Division 2 vs. Division 3 / Other Division 2 vs. Other Division 3

Round 2 - ?!?!??R?fd/df/d??D

Round 3 - Team Left in Division vs Team Left in Other Division

But this doesn't make sense to me since there could be 5 teams in a division making the playoffs...thus possibly creating a situation where in Round 2 there would only be ONE team left in a division...but no where do I see any reseeding or anything like that mentioned...so I'm just confused...I don't think Round 3 is gonna be a "Pacific vs. Central" type scenario, so that info could be wrong...

Thanks!

My understanding was that the teams are re-seeded in the second round based on the same criteria as the first round. Just as before, highest against lowest seed, next highest against next lowest and so on. Cup Finals grants the team with the better regular season record home-ice.

If I recall, teams are not reseeded. The first two rounds are divisonal. Ex:

Pacific:

1. Ducks

2. San Jose

3. Kings

4. Vancouver

Central

1. Hawks

2. Blues

3. Wild

4. Jets

Round 1: Ducks beat Vancouver; Kings beat Sharks; Hawks beat jets; Blues beat Wild

Round 2: Ducks vs Kings; Hawks vs Blues

If there are 5 teams in a division who make the playoffs, that team will play against the highest seed and act as the "4th team of the division". Let me know if I'm wrong.

gilligoos

If I recall, teams are not reseeded. The first two rounds are divisonal. Ex:

Pacific:

1. Ducks

2. San Jose

3. Kings

4. Vancouver

Central

1. Hawks

2. Blues

3. Wild

4. Jets

Round 1: Ducks beat Vancouver; Kings beat Sharks; Hawks beat jets; Blues beat Wild

Round 2: Ducks vs Kings; Hawks vs Blues

If there are 5 teams in a division who make the playoffs, that team will play against the highest seed and act as the "4th team of the division". Let me know if I'm wrong.

Nah, you have it. The top team in each division plays one of the wild card teams. In the western conference for example:

Pacific- 

LA (110 pts)

SJ (104)

VAN (95)

PHX (94) *** wild card

ANA (92) *** wild card

Central-

CHI (111 pts)

STL (91)

MIN (89)

These are the top three teams in each division and are playoff teams as a result. Phoenix and Anaheim would have the next two highest point totals in the conference after the six seeded teams, making them the wild cards. The wild cards could be one from each division or two from the same (as in my example), all that matters is that they have the next most points after the six guaranteed playoff teams.

Of the two division winners (CHI and LA), Chicago has more points. They would play the lowest of the two wild card teams (in this case Anaheim). The other division winner (LA) would play the other wild card team (PHX), and Phoenix would remain part of the central division into the next round. The #2 and #3 teams within each division play each other. So #1 plays #4, and #2 plays #3. The games remain divisional through the first two rounds.  In my example it would play out as:

1st round-

Central Division

#1 CHI vs. #4 PHX

#2 STL vs. #3 MIN

Pacific Division

#1 LA vs. #4 ANA

#2 SJ vs. #3 VAN

2nd round-

Central

#2 STL vs. #4 PHX

Pacific

#1 LA vs. #3 VAN

3rd round-

LA vs. PHX (Kings with home ice)

I have too much free time lately...

Oops, couldn't edit. I accidentally swapped PHX and ANA there. Chicago would play Anaheim in the first round and the Ducks would remain in the central in the 2nd round. LA would play PHX... I fail LOL.