The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dangle411

Trade Deadline Thread

Alex Grant traded to Ottawa for Andre Petersson?? Am I the only person who thinks this was a very questionable move? Petersson is only 5'9 and Grant showed some potential in his 2 games in Anaheim earlier this year. I understand getting rid of a defenseman for a goal scorer, especially a Swedish one to join Rakell and Friberg, but why give up one of your younger dmen if all your getting in return is an unproven, undersized right winger? I'd have tried my best to talk Ottawa into taking Eminger, Yonkman, Parent, or even Exelby before I even thought about sending a goal scorer like Grant to a division rival (AHL Eastern Div). But I guess you guys will be happy because I'm pretty sure this move proves that Etem is will be called up very soon.

If Hampus, Etem, and Rakell all break out soon, we may look back on this thread and have a good laugh. 

Hampus already has had some games where he's just ON and looks like a force in every zone. Etem proved last post-season that he can compete, and score goals, in some high pressure NHL games. Rakell, according to our resident AdsFan, is a sick little playmaker who's defensively responsible to boot. I sure liked watching him when he was up with the Ducks, and way back at the LA-ANA rookie game him and Lindholm were the fellas who most caught my eye.

I like our 'cupboard'. I like it a lot.

Some Vancouver media are saying that the offer for Kesler was Etem, 1st, and a 2nd. I doubt anyone knows the exact offer, especially when Murray said all of his picks for the next two years were on the table. I'm thinking his offer was a bit more than that. In any case, I'm wondering how you fine folks feel about that possibility. I think it makes the trade much tougher to swallow. And it also makes me question if moving Penner had anything to do with making room for Etem when it's possible Etem would have been part of the trade. 

Not trolling.

Simple question.

Generally, we regard our GM as a moron, so I'm trying to figure how the Caps get Penner for a fourth round pick?

Don't know much about him, but for us he is a 1/2 liner and was traded for a 4th round pick?

On what line did he play for you?

Some Vancouver media are saying that the offer for Kesler was Etem, 1st, and a 2nd. I doubt anyone knows the exact offer, especially when Murray said all of his picks for the next two years were on the table. I'm thinking his offer was a bit more than that. In any case, I'm wondering how you fine folks feel about that possibility. I think it makes the trade much tougher to swallow. And it also makes me question if moving Penner had anything to do with making room for Etem when it's possible Etem would have been part of the trade. 

I think moving Penner was more making room for Palmieri and Silfverberg.

I would have done that trade in a heartbeat.  I know that the ground Etem walks on is sacred around here, but he still hasn't played well enough to stick in the NHL.  He's all potential.  I don't think Etem is going to be the difference between winning a Cup or not this year or next (maybe the year after, if he develops as we hope).  Kesler very well could have been.

Not trolling.

Simple question.

Generally, we regard our GM as a moron, so I'm trying to figure how the Caps get Penner for a fourth round pick?

Don't know much about him, but for us he is a 1/2 liner and was traded for a 4th round pick?

We have too many forwards and Murray   (Ducks gm) felt it was important to free up ice time for our younger guys who look to be the near future our  team.  Penner has been serviceable, but inconsistent. He's not a top 6 forward but when motivated can fit in the right role and play well. Maybe he can be the caps new Knuble?  Caps made a no risk deal for a player that you really don't know what your're going to get.

I say smart move by both Gms here imo.

Not trolling.

Simple question.

He played anywhere from the 1st to 4th line depending on how well he was playing.

He's an unrestricted free agent after this year, and is wildly inconsistent, so a 4th round pick is about right

I'm just going to throw this out there for the umpteenth time. Is nobody concerned that without an extension for Hiller (likely 5-6 million), we still very much NEEDED Fasth for another season? Andersen/Fasth in '14/15, and Andersen/Gibson in '15/16. 

Without Hiller, Murray now needs to find another backup the equivalent of Fasth, likely one who won't give us the same #1 level of play either. Much is now resting on a rookie goaltender, or an unknown backup to be acquired, or an overpaid Hiller. This while entering a SC window. Now, why did we need to move Fasth anyhow? That's why I look down on the move. His injuries were a concern, but he'd likely be backing up Freddy anyhow, not playing 50+ games. And, oh yeah, his deal was due to expire after next season anyhow. Seemed pretty ideal to me.

Fasth is a true profession. Loved his compete level, last year. As for this year, I am not too concerned about him being traded because of his constant injury (he has been like glass).

Although it seems very unlikely that Hiller will be back next season and will sign elsewhere, someone posted that backup goalies are cheap and easy to come by. Listed names like Emery, Jiggy, etc. etc. I am confident in BMs ability to find a cheap, rock-star in the net that will challenge Freddie for the starting position. Competition brings out the best in most athletes. 

Then again, BM could surprise us all and resign Hiller.  :)

Fasth is a true profession. Loved his compete level, last year. As for this year, I am not too concerned about him being traded because of his constant injury (he has been like glass).

Although it seems very unlikely that Hiller will be back next season and will sign elsewhere, someone posted that backup goalies are cheap and easy to come by. Listed names like Emery, Jiggy, etc. etc. I am confident in BMs ability to find a cheap, rock-star in the net that will challenge Freddie for the starting position. Competition brings out the best in most athletes. 

Then again, BM could surprise us all and resign Hiller.  :)

I completely disagree.

First, I have not seen anything indicating that Hiller is determined to go to free agency. So what are you basing this assertion on?

Secondly, knowing how Murray works, I do not seem him moving Fasth unless the Ducks already have an informal agreement with Hiller.

Despite his injuries Fasth is still a solid B or B+ grade goalie under  contract for another year. I don't see Murray rolling the dice on the chance of landing a better goalie in the off season. Murray is too cautious for that.

If the issue of resigning Hiller was not settled, Murray would have been smarter to put Andersen back down in the AHL when Fasth returned. That way if Hiller did walk in the off season he would not be faced with overpaying for a #1 goalie right away and could wait for the right  situation to present itself.

Murray and Hiller already have a deal worked out.

I completely disagree.

First, I have not seen anything indicating that Hiller is determined to go to free agency. So what are you basing this assertion on?

Secondly, knowing how Murray works, I do not seem him moving Fasth unless the Ducks already have an informal agreement with Hiller.

Despite his injuries Fasth is still a solid B or B+ grade goalie under  contract for another year. I don't see Murray rolling the dice on the chance of landing a better goalie in the off season. Murray is too cautious for that.

If the issue of resigning Hiller was not settled, Murray would have been smarter to put Andersen back down in the AHL when Fasth returned. That way if Hiller did walk in the off season he would not be faced with overpaying for a #1 goalie right away and could wait for the right  situation to present itself.

I think this is very unlikely.  I saw from an insider that Hiller's salary demands are pretty high.  And whether or not you want to believe the insider, it makes logical sense.  Hiller is looking for that "set-me-up-for-life" deal.  And it's a great time for it, given all the deals being thrown around for good but not elite goalies - Smith, Lehtonen, Crawford, Bobrovsky, Varlamov.  He wants to get paid, and good for him if he can get it.

The Ducks simply do not need to spend that much money on a goalie.  We don't know a lot about Andersen, but he's looked really good so far and he's cheap.  And there are plenty of UFA goalies available to back him up cheaply.  

I don't think it's impossible the Ducks re-sign Hiller.  I just think it's very unlikely.

Shadowduck, on 07 Mar 2014 - 11:31, said:

I completely disagree.

2014 NHL unrestricted free agent goaltenders.

Ryan Miller G 33 Sabres $6,250,000

Jonas Hiller G 31 Ducks $4,500,000

Martin Brodeur G 41 Devils $4,500,000

Jaroslav Halak G 28 Blues $3,750,000

Tim Thomas G 39 Panthers $3,750,000

Devan Dubnyk G 27 Oilers $3,500,000

Evgeni Nabokov G 38 Islanders $3,250,000

Tomas Vokoun G 37 Penguins $2,000,000

Nikolai Khabibulin G 40 Blackhawks $2,000,000

Brian Elliott G 28 Blues $1,800,000

Ray Emery G 31 Flyers $1,650,000

Jean-Sebastien Giguere G 36 Avalanche $1,500,000

Jonas Gustavsson G 28 Red Wings $1,500,000

Scott Clemmensen G 36 Panthers $1,200,000

Jason Labarbera G 33 Blackhawks $1,000,000

Joey MacDonald G 33 Flames $925,000

Anton Khudobin G 27 Hurricanes $800,000

Thomas Greiss G 27 Coyotes $750,000

Cristopher Nilstorp G 29 Stars $725,000

Yann Danis G 32 Flyers $675,000

Cedrick Desjardins G 28 Lightning $650,000

Nathan Lawson G 30 Senators $650,000

Ben Scrivens G 27 Kings $612,500

Al Montoya G 28 Jets $601,000

Chad Johnson G 27 Bruins $600,000

Drew MacIntyre G 30 Maple Leafs $600,000

Curtis McElhinney G 30 Blue Jackets $600,000

Mike McKenna G 30 Blue Jackets $595,000

Carter Hutton G 27 Predators $550,000

David Leggio G 29 Capitals $550,000

Jeff Zatkoff G 26 Penguins $537,500

Justin Peters G 27 Hurricanes $537,500

I believe that if BM and Hiller (and his representatives), had reached an agreement, that a contract would've been signed. Hiller is going to want more money that I am not sure that Bargain Bob will want to spend on a GT. I think we will find someone else paired with Andersen come next season, and I think there are a lot of other options available.

I'm not opposed to re-signing Hiller. I just feel the funds will be appropriated else where.

I don't think the issue with re-signing Hiller as a dollars issue, but a term issue. Hiller is going to want a nice long contact, probably to finish out his career. And I can't see BM committing for more than a couple years, 3 max.

Kings got Gaborik...and are riding a SIX-GAME win streak.

We got a guy who`s nose has stopped a lot of fists.

Are people really still complaining?  I guess I understand, since it's not like we're in first place or anything.

OH WAIT WE ARE.  It's been a couple days.  The team is still really good.  I'm a bit disappointed too, but can't we let it go?

Are people really still complaining?  I guess I understand, since it's not like we're in first place or anything.

OH WAIT WE ARE.  It's been a couple days.  The team is still really good.  I'm a bit disappointed too, but can't we let it go?

Never forget