The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dangle411

Trade Deadline Thread

Please don't let the Queens get anyone good!  Let the Ducks get dibs over anyone that the Queens are vying for.  I'm bad I know. 

Listening to NHL Tonight they seem to think Cammalleri is going to the Senators.  Who's got the inside scoop on all this?  I'm going nuts trying to find out what is happening.  They figure Kesler will go to Pittsburg, but they're not sure as he's playing tonight. 

I now understand the Penner deal. Murray just wanted to free up #17 for Kesler. I've figured it out.

Ha! Genius! I fully support the move now. 

I don't mind the Penner deal. Just Murray managing his assets and the roster. Plus i don't think the move hurts us. Penner didn't deserve to  be the guy that got move out ( cough teemu cough), but what's done is done.

I didn't understand the Fasth deal originally,  but after hearing Murray's explanation i can see the move.

And i still don't think Kesler gets moved. I know many people see the Nucks blowing the team up now, but i could just as easily see them using that extra cap space to go after a goal scorer for a playoff push.

I also like the Robidas move but it says set up move all over it. I think were gonna see a D-man and a forward flipped for a top 6 guy. Murray say's he's not interested in rentals, if we take him for his word then it's gonna be someone off the radar most likely.

I would be reluctant to see Etem be part of a trade package for Kesler. Bonino I wouldnt be crazy about losing, but we would have too many centers without dealing either Bonino or Perrault, and Im sure Bones is the more appealing player to the Canucks. 

As much as I want to see Etem/Palmieri/Silfverberg grow into bigger roles, I have a hard time believing Murray moved Penner without something else up his sleeve. There is no way he traded for that 4th rounder from Washington just to use it for Robidas; if he didnt have the intention of acquiring someone to fill Penner's spot, wouldnt he just trade away one of the Ducks own mid-round picks?

Dream scenario is that the piece is Kesler, but I would be happy with Moulson, Cammaleri, or even Gaborik. Please not Vanek, though. He just doesnt seem like a Duck-type of player to me, and has already made it pretty clear how much he wants to test free agency. Plus, I'm just not all that crazy about him to begin with.

From Pierre Lebrun:

There’s a sizeable list of teams that have kept tabs on Kesler, including the Anaheim Ducks, who have a number of young assets that might interest the Canucks.

Of course, you wonder would the Canucks really trade Kesler within the same division? The answer we got from one source with knowledge of the situation is that the Canucks don’t care what team it is, they’ll take the best package if it fits their needs.

From Pierre Lebrun:

There’s a sizeable list of teams that have kept tabs on Kesler, including the Anaheim Ducks, who have a number of young assets that might interest the Canucks.

Of course, you wonder would the Canucks really trade Kesler within the same division? The answer we got from one source with knowledge of the situation is that the Canucks don’t care what team it is, they’ll take the best package if it fits their needs.

That's the one thing I thought could be in our favor, if the Nucks are purely looking for the best package in return. We have to be up there with the best potential suitors.

Keep the dream alive!

I think the entire roster moves make sense. Anaheim has an imbalance at forward depth. We need to see players like Silvferberg and Palmieri take a step forward and they won't do that while a player like Penner is taking a top six spot. Anaheim needs more grit in their forward groups. The great expression that fits here is addition by subtraction.

I'm liking the Fasth trade. Anaheim had a log jam in net. Right now Anaheim could re-sign Hiller or go with Andersen as a starter. Andersen deserves a shot at starter because Murray and us fans have seen Andersen just continue to improve as a player. The unfortunate part is that Fasth had to go and the package for him isn't bad. Fasth's departure means a secured spot for Andersen that could grow into a starter or at least hold the spot until Gibson makes his debut.

As for Robidas the only thing I could say about that is it's depth in the back end.

I think the entire roster moves make sense. Anaheim has an imbalance at forward depth. We need to see players like Silvferberg and Palmieri take a step forward and they won't do that while a player like Penner is taking a top six spot. Anaheim needs more grit in their forward groups. The great expression that fits here is addition by subtraction.

I'm liking the Fasth trade. Anaheim had a log jam in net. Right now Anaheim could re-sign Hiller or go with Andersen as a starter. Andersen deserves a shot at starter because Murray and us fans have seen Andersen just continue to improve as a player. The unfortunate part is that Fasth had to go and the package for him isn't bad. Fasth's departure means a secured spot for Andersen that could grow into a starter or at least hold the spot until Gibson makes his debut.

As for Robidas the only thing I could say about that is it's depth in the back end.

I was of the opinion that we were entering the beginning of our Cup window. Which by all accounts, means that we want the best players to play. I believe that Penner is the better player, and I believe he makes the team better with him on it. I'm just not buying the need to develop these other players. Just my opinion...

I don't mind the Penner deal. Just Murray managing his assets and the roster. Plus i don't think the move hurts us. Penner didn't deserve to  be the guy that got move out ( cough teemu cough), but what's done is done.

I didn't understand the Fasth deal originally,  but after hearing Murray's explanation i can see the move.

And i still don't think Kesler gets moved. I know many people see the Nucks blowing the team up now, but i could just as easily see them using that extra cap space to go after a goal scorer for a playoff push.

Agreed. I'm w/ you - don't mind the Penner move. Might suck a little for Getzlaf and Perry as it appears they're close w/ him, but those guys can play w/ anyone. 

Might have been mentioned, but Penner was traded on National Pancake Day - Coincidence? I think not.

More on Penner:

Steve Simmons via Twitter: A memory sitting close to Brian Burke, Bob Murray and Anaheim staff during Cup run in '07: All they did, all games, was grouse about Penner. (https://twitter.com/simmonssteve/status/440928202832084992

My final thoughts? Anaheim is flush with young forwards and Penner while productive at that salary spot is just eating up forward minutes from guys like Maroon, Etem, and Silvfersberg. My only fear is that Penner has CUP LUCK.

From Pierre Lebrun:

OHHHHHHHHHH. We've definitely got the players. I'm hoping it wouldn't be too much though. I could deal with a 1st, Vatanen/Palmieri/Bonino, and one of our mid tier prospects like Karlsson/Friberg or something similar. I start to cringe when Etem/Rakell is involved. I could maybe see Rakell, but then switch Ottawa first with ours, and maybe a lower prospect like Wagner. Still stings to lose Rakell but Kesler is a center and come on it's freaking Kesler.

Getzlaf

Kesler

Ahhhhhhh

I hope you guys are right & that we may still have a chance @Kesler.  Don't want the Queens to pick up anybody worthwhile.  Ticked me off when they got Carter & Richards.  This is our shot!  I'm so jazzed I don't think I will be able to sleep.  Hope the morning brings good news for the Ducks. 

I was of the opinion that we were entering the beginning of our Cup window. Which by all accounts, means that we want the best players to play. I believe that Penner is the better player, and I believe he makes the team better with him on it. I'm just not buying the need to develop these other players. Just my opinion...

It's not so much development but balancing out the forwards and giving players the chance to shine. You know Palmieri is on the verge of breaking out and Silfverberg needs more ice time to be productive. Penner is serviceable but I would almost call him redundant when Anaheim has so much depth on the wings.

I like the moves thus far (particularly moving Penner and Fasth), but all indications point to Anaheim adding a center; and in my opinion, adding a guy like Kesler would make Anaheim deadly for years.

Chris Botta: The Anaheim Ducks view Thomas Vanek as distant back up plans. The Ducks really want a center.

As far as Robidas? If he can come back and play well I love the move. Robidas has been the Stars version of Beauchemin for years. A absolute warrior who will do whatever it takes and play any role in helping the team win. In Robidas the Ducks added a ton of heart.

I like the moves thus far (particularly moving Penner and Fasth), but all indications point to Anaheim adding a center; and in my opinion, adding a guy like Kesler would make Anaheim deadly for years.

Chris Botta: The Anaheim Ducks view Thomas Vanek as distant back up plans. The Ducks really want a center.

As far as Robidas? If he can come back and play well I love the move. Robidas has been the Stars version of Beauchemin for years. A absolute warrior who will do whatever it takes and play any role in helping the team win. In Robidas the Ducks added a ton of heart.

You back in the states Z? Your level head was missed here earlier, I've been flipping out all day LOL.

The things that worry me about today's moves are:

-Will the twins lose a little mojo without Penner come the playoffs when Penner can flex his pancakes? 

-Have the kids (Palmieri, Silfverberg, Etem) been too inconsistent to rely on at this stage of the season?

-Who will be in net next season aside from Andersen? Most of the boards were against re-signing Hiller, now it looks like a possibility, but is it a bad move?

-If Murray stands pat from this point, are we happy with the overall changes to the team? 

If there is a legitimate chance to win the cup (which there is) why not seal the deal. Adding Kesler would be the missing piece we have been missing for a long time. Bones is great but face it, aside from the power-play he is a bubble 2nd/3rd on a legitimate team. Great 3rd, not so great 2nd, a majority of his points are on the PP. If we send Etem we will be essentially creating a new void by filling the old one. Who do we have that is a legitimate top six right winger outside of Perry. Selanne is retiring. Palms has been playing left most nights, but like Bones at this point he also is a bubble 2nd/3rd. We have a lot of spare parts we can do without, and some that we can manage without. We have the following that we can through together, even if its adding one too many pieces to outbid Pitts:

Our 1st in 2013

1st in 2014 (I haven't seen 14's come up, why not...it's going to be low anyway right?)

What about 2nd rounders

Sbisa

Vats

Bonino

Friberg

Rakell (unproven regardless of what anyone thinks)

I would honestly do to make it happen:

Bones, Vats, our 1st in 13, and the 2nd in 14 to sweeten the pot just a little more. Lets outbid Pitts. Sbisa is a throw in if they want him or if it literally makes the deal by adding him.

This is no rental we are talking about. We will be getting a LEGIT 2nd line center, same age as Getz and Perry for 5M (bargain this day for legit 2nd C) for the rest of this season AND two more. Then who's to say he wouldn't extend?

I don't mind the moving of Penner if it comes with an upgrade. My concern is that the team as it is today, is not as strong as it was with the big guy on it. Can't deny he's been blessed with winning in Southern Cal!

Thinking with a calmer head, I am not hating the Robidas trade as much as I was earlier. His injury was my main issue and whether or not he will be a 100% when he comes back.

Do you think that we are finished trading? Or will a bigger move likely occur before the deadline?

I don't mind the moving of Penner if it comes with an upgrade. My concern is that the team as it is today, is not as strong as it was with the big guy on it. Can't deny he's been blessed with winning in Southern Cal!

Thinking with a calmer head, I am not hating the Robidas trade as much as I was earlier. His injury was my main issue and whether or not he will be a 100% when he comes back.

Do you think that we are finished trading? Or will a bigger move likely occur before the deadline?

I think Murray is definitely trying.  I think he really, really wants Kesler.  If he doesn't get him, I don't know what the plan B is.  Go for a guy like Cammalleri or Moulson (if they are still available)?  Gaborik?  Someone else?  I have no doubt that Murray doesn't want to be done with today's moves, and really, he shouldn't get outbid for whoever he wants.  The Ducks' system is STACKED.

A willing Kesler would be massive for the Ducks. Make it happen Murray! (Just not for Etem :o ). Would even let go of Vats, though I'd wish not. But you can't get something for nothing. Maybe consider a package including Silf??? I woulda done B Ryan for Kesler in a heartbeat.... Being strong down the middle is vital, and we just haven't been.

C'mon Kesler! It's great down here!

No Vanek, no Gaborik (injury prone). 

1. Kesler

2. Moulson

I'm liking the Penner trade more and more as the day wears on.  We have Etem, Palmieri and Silv who aren't getting enough ice time, heck Etem is down in Norfolk because of our depth at forward.

Listening to the hockey analysts today , they're saying that the Robidas trade is genius.  I don't know about that, he may not be healthy enough to play, but he came at a low low price, so not a gamble.

Murray is definitely looking at acquiring a center, Kesler would be ridiculous.  I think it would take, Bones, Etem or Rackell, Vats and a first.  It would great if they'd take Sbisa over Vats, but I don't think that's happening.

Legwand is open to a trade apparently now too, so he's a possibility.  We'll just have to wait and see until tomorrow morning.

It feels like Christmas eve tonight!   :-)

I think Murray is definitely trying.  I think he really, really wants Kesler.  If he doesn't get him, I don't know what the plan B is.  Go for a guy like Cammalleri or Moulson (if they are still available)?  Gaborik?  Someone else?  I have no doubt that Murray doesn't want to be done with today's moves, and really, he shouldn't get outbid for whoever he wants.  The Ducks' system is STACKED.

Thanks Gorb! I really hope that BM can pull off one of those trades and make the Ducks that much stronger!