Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Socaltracker

No Fasth In Hiller

232 posts in this topic

I don't think you'll need to worry about issues on the back end, Hiller and Anderson make a great 1-2 combo. Anderson has shown great posture in solidifying his spot, however I don't think we'll see him at all unless in a blowout situation. Gabby will go with Hiller. Goaltending shouldn't be an issue come April. Playing the Kings in the 1st round would be.

1 person likes this

Good post.

IMO...it's not that he's under-appreciated, it's that he doesn't instill a whole lot of confidence. He has good nights. He makes good saves. But he just can't do it when it REALLY counts, and he gives up the headscratcher type goals. Usually at the wrong time(not that there's ever a right time to give up a goal). But he's NOT the guy that you can put the team on his back....and THAT worries me in the playoffs.

I'd HATE to start out vs Dallas in the first round, for example. They light the lamp, and I could see Hiller giving up some goals vs them. Starting out vs Dallas would have that Detroit in 2013 feeling

There are doubts with both guys. There are doubts about our top line staying hot, doubts about our secondary scoring, this average defense, Bruce's playoff coaching ability, and many other things. This is why we are in contention this season, but far from Cup favorites. I see goaltending as one of the lesser areas of concern for the team overall heading into the playoffs. I agree with some of your Hiller criticisms, and agree that it helps us more to get Freddy some experience than it does to ride Hiller all of the way into April. 

The bottom line is, Murray and Bruce have made their decision and decided that Hiller will be the guy, or Fasth would still be here. He also showed that they have full confidence in Andersen going forward, which includes the possibility that he could need to take the reigns through the playoffs for any number of possible reasons.

Hiller has shown that when he gets hot, he can frustrate teams. And he has shown that he can stay hot for extended stretches. You just never know when a guy is going to have one of those Tim Thomas, Mike Smith, Jiggy type performances out of nowhere. I'll give Hiller that shot. The way I see it, at best Hiller is lights out. At worst, he gives up a softie per game at the wrong time and steals a few to bail out the defense (can we count the number of odd man rushes we give up? THAT'S a bigger concern).

Knowing we have Andersen ready to go will be all the insurance we need, and again, more playing time would be a plus. What happens when Miller, Quick, Rask, Niemi, Fleury, etc. pull a groin in round one? How do those teams recover in net? Teams like LA are similar to us, they feel confident in Jones as we are with Freddy (see Scrivens being moved like Fasth). Others may be up a creek. 

2 people like this

Never claimed Hiller was elite. Just said that he was the better proven option. If Hiller isn't performing, I'm sure BB would have no trouble pulling him. But I feel their are bigger issues than GT on this team presently.

BTW...I wear my orange-colored glasses very proudly, thank you very much! :)

I really think we should be redirecting this attention towards looking at a possible first rounder with LA, or if we manage to hold off San Jose, possible wild card matchups (MN, Dallas, PHX..etc.) I'd love to see some of your guys thoughts on these teams in a separate thread.

So what? How much experience did Jiggy have? Niemi? Cam Ward? Jonathan Quick?

You keep missing the point...Andersen can't GET EXPERIENCE IF HE ISN'T ALLOWED TO PLAY MORE.

Take the orange colored glasses off, and use your head and eyes....do you REALLY think Hiller is an elite goalie? Would you put him in the Top 10 in the NHL if you weren't a Ducks fan?

So lets put ALL of Anaheim's inexperienced players out there! Perry had a terrible playoffs - give Silvfersberg the minutes right? Won't get better without minutes! You're missing the point - you don't experiment trying to fix what's not broken. Hiller is having a great year. His GAA is 2.38, 8th in the league w/ 40+ starts (TOP 10) and he's tied for 2nd in the league in shutouts (5), to say nothing about the win streak.

Gigeure was never elite, nor Niemi, nor Ward... and I'd argue Quick wouldn't be if it wasn't for that defense in front of him... Hiller's first playoffs? LIGHTS OUT AMAZING. Repeat: LIGHTS OUT AMAZING. The whole team stunk against Detroit (Hiller included). Hiller's playoff numbers are in a word, OUTSTANDING.

Is he top 10? No... probably not... but he's also not on the bottom half either... somewhere between 8-15 likely - depends who you ask (Greg Wyshynski ranks him #12 at the end of last season). In the WC, who's CLEARLY better? Miller, Rinne, and Quick, then who? Varlamov's having a great season but his body of work doesn't put him over the top... and then who? Howard? Smith? Niemi? Crawford? Hiller is right there with all those guys. In the EC? Lundqvist, Rask, Luongo, maybe Price... 

In the league, body of work and today, I think maybe Hiller has 7-8 guys clearly in front of him and then it gets pretty even.

2 people like this

So lets put ALL of Anaheim's inexperienced players out there! Perry had a terrible playoffs - give Silvfersberg the minutes right? Won't get better without minutes! You're missing the point - you don't experiment trying to fix what's not broken. Hiller is having a great year. His GAA is 2.38, 8th in the league w/ 40+ starts (TOP 10) and he's tied for 2nd in the league in shutouts (5), to say nothing about the win streak.

Gigeure was never elite, nor Niemi, nor Ward... and I'd argue Quick wouldn't be if it wasn't for that defense in front of him... Hiller's first playoffs? LIGHTS OUT AMAZING. Repeat: LIGHTS OUT AMAZING. The whole team stunk against Detroit (Hiller included). Hiller's playoff numbers are in a word, OUTSTANDING.

Is he top 10? No... probably not... but he's also not on the bottom half either... somewhere between 8-15 likely - depends who you ask (Greg Wyshynski ranks him #12 at the end of last season). In the WC, who's CLEARLY better? Miller, Rinne, and Quick, then who? Varlamov's having a great season but his body of work doesn't put him over the top... and then who? Howard? Smith? Niemi? Crawford? Hiller is right there with all those guys. In the EC? Lundqvist, Rask, Luongo, maybe Price... 

In the league, body of work and today, I think maybe Hiller has 7-8 guys clearly in front of him and then it gets pretty even.

I couldn't agree with you more!

Bottom line....Hiller is not an elite goaltender. He is NOT taking Anaheim to the promised land. 

And until BB realizes that JH is a good second option, and starts Andersen...Anaheim will continue to have those could have been moments. Not that Andersen is all world, but he has more upside...just needs more PT.

Anaheim needs to dump Hiller this offseason, he still has value...pick up another big name forward to replace Selanne...and move Gibson up. He is the future, not the Swiss Sieve.

habba habba... 

Are you calling Giguere an "elite" goaltender and or are you implying that only teams with "elite" goaltender get the cup? 

Both wrong... "elite" goaltending is required in certain situations which Hiller has provided more often than not, his "soft" goals are somewhat on a losing streak this season and the only "upside" Andersen has over Hiller is that he didn't have to play behind a team in the playoffs and lose in the first or second round. 

I'm very happy if Hiller can sign with another fanbase where he's appreciated and not called out after ever damn game the team is losing for being not an elite goaltender.  :rolleyes: 

habba habba... 

Are you calling Giguere an "elite" goaltender and or are you implying that only teams with "elite" goaltender get the cup? 

Both wrong... "elite" goaltending is required in certain situations which Hiller has provided more often than not, his "soft" goals are somewhat on a losing streak this season and the only "upside" Andersen has over Hiller is that he didn't have to play behind a team in the playoffs and lose in the first or second round. 

I'm very happy if Hiller can sign with another fanbase where he's appreciated and not called out after ever damn game the team is losing for being not an elite goaltender.  :rolleyes: 

IMHO JSG made it impossible for a certain segment of the fan base to ever "approve" of any Anaheim net minder... 

Hiller's not elite in my book... that's Lundqvist, that's Miller, that's Rinne and as much as I don't like saying it, Quick is probably close as well... but Hiller is solid. He's a upgrade in net on half the teams in the league, and the second or third best goalie in the division.

People don't like his demeanor in net... they don't like how he doesn't appear overly active behind traffic (see JSG), and they don't like "soft goals" forgetting that all goalies give up  "soft goals". I will say this... every hockey beat writer I've ever come across will say that Hiller is the type of goalie who can come up big in the spotlight. Why people don't believe that is beyond me.

He's going to walk after this season and I'm fine (even excited) about Andersen and Gibson in the wings, but Hiller really deserves better from the fan base. He's been a big part of the teams turn around after having to play behind some pretty dicey teams.

3 people like this

IMHO JSG made it impossible for a certain segment of the fan base to ever "approve" of any OTHER Anaheim net minder... 

Fixed..

Well said Zther.

This is right. Although I'd say Ben Bishop is "clearly" better than Hiller, even with his "small sample size" (Bishop is a beast!). Same with Bobrovsky. Bob is clearly better. After that, I think the argument can go lots of different ways with Hiller, Niemi, Howard, Smith, Crawford, Varlamov and a few others. Even a guy like Fleury, who has struggled in the playoffs recently but has played pretty well this season behind an injury-riddled defense and also has some significant playoff success in the past. Lehtonen too, although maybe he just plays that way against us. 

IMO any of the top-20 goaltenders are probably talented enough to backstop a championship caliber team if the chips fall the right way. They're all very good goaltenders. But I also betcha that most of those guys experience the same nervousness and lack of faith from a significant portion of their fan bases too.

Until Hiller wins a Cup, I will have doubts about his ability to win a Cup. But I could also say the same thing about Bruce. For goaltenders and coaches, I think it's just part of the job description.

1 person likes this

IMHO JSG made it impossible for a certain segment of the fan base to ever "approve" of any Anaheim net minder... 

Hiller's not elite in my book... that's Lundqvist, that's Miller, that's Rinne and as much as I don't like saying it, Quick is probably close as well... but Hiller is solid. He's a upgrade in net on half the teams in the league, and the second or third best goalie in the division.

People don't like his demeanor in net... they don't like how he doesn't appear overly active behind traffic (see JSG), and they don't like "soft goals" forgetting that all goalies give up  "soft goals". I will say this... every hockey beat writer I've ever come across will say that Hiller is the type of goalie who can come up big in the spotlight. Why people don't believe that is beyond me.

He's going to walk after this season and I'm fine (even excited) about Andersen and Gibson in the wings, but Hiller really deserves better from the fan base. He's been a big part of the teams turn around after having to play behind some pretty dicey teams.

Very true!

Hiller is very calm and cool when he is in the net (polar opposite of jiggy) but has been "solid."  The team has been doing very well, and he has definitely helped in that regard, at times he's been the Ducks best player.  

I guess that I just do not understand why Hiller is under so much scrutiny. 

1 person likes this

Very true!

Hiller is very calm and cool when he is in the net (polar opposite of jiggy) but has been "solid."  The team has been doing very well, and he has definitely helped in that regard, at times he's been the Ducks best player.  

Same here. It's not like he's been costing us games this year. It's just that the team came down to earth lately, and the recent struggles have many fans panicking over a possible repeat of last season (and 2011, and 2008). It seems like goalies are the first to blame when the team struggles.

Same here. It's not like he's been costing us games this year. It's just that the team came down to earth lately, and the recent struggles have many fans panicking over a possible repeat of last season (and 2011, and 2008). It seems like goalies are the first to blame when the team struggles.

Because there are no apparent holes in defense nor is there a lack of scoring at times beyond the top-line. 

Random factoid: Jonas Hiller is one of a handful of GT in the NHL who play a right-handed style.

8083264.jpg

2 people like this

Come what may we shall never be satisfied :P :P even if we changed all the team , it's very funny to be a fan :D :D

on 3:00 am let's go Ducks :t_hot_unread:

This is right. Although I'd say Ben Bishop is "clearly" better than Hiller, even with his "small sample size" (Bishop is a beast!). Same with Bobrovsky. Bob is clearly better. After that, I think the argument can go lots of different ways with Hiller, Niemi, Howard, Smith, Crawford, Varlamov and a few others. Even a guy like Fleury, who has struggled in the playoffs recently but has played pretty well this season behind an injury-riddled defense and also has some significant playoff success in the past. Lehtonen too, although maybe he just plays that way against us. 

IMO any of the top-20 goaltenders are probably talented enough to backstop a championship caliber team if the chips fall the right way. They're all very good goaltenders. But I also betcha that most of those guys experience the same nervousness and lack of faith from a significant portion of their fan bases too.

Until Hiller wins a Cup, I will have doubts about his ability to win a Cup. But I could also say the same thing about Bruce. For goaltenders and coaches, I think it's just part of the job description.

I left out both Bobrovsky and Bishop (Particularly Bishop who's played more games this season than almost his last 6 seasons in the NHL) because of the sample size but it will be a relative comparison soon and I wouldn't just put Hiller above them... 

Hiller has proven he is a warrior between the pipes and I'm confident with him there in the playoffs.

But come on kid, cover your fivehole sometimes.

1 person likes this

RIGHT ON !!   We would have had out butts kicked MANY a time were it not for him. He has let in some soft goals but almost ALL GOALIES let in soft goals - we just dont get to see them unless they happen for us - and then it often attributed to SKILL on our part. Depends on how you look at it. IMHO 

1 person likes this

The number of "soft" goals I have seen from Hiller this season has been very few. He probably went a good 2 months without allowing any poor goals, then he had one off night and people were on here complaining about him again. Even if Hiller turned into the second coming of Patrick Roy the Hiller haters will never be happy.

1 person likes this

The number of "soft" goals I have seen from Hiller this season has been very few. He probably went a good 2 months without allowing any poor goals, then he had one off night and people were on here complaining about him again. Even if Hiller turned into the second coming of Patrick Roy the Hiller haters will never be happy.

Of course the haters would come out in full force if he channeled his inner Roy. Hiller would let in 9 goals against Detroit and demand a trade after being pulled only to win a Cup with his new team the same season! =P

According to some, all three goals last night were "soft"

Is it my eyes, or shouldn't the topic on this thread say no faith in hiller?

The loss last night was because Halak outplayed Hiller, no more no less.  Can't believe he was that good, we even outshot them.  Again the PP doomed us, but at least we did get one on it.  Thanks MP.

Crossed fingers about Cam!

Very true!

well said