Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Socaltracker

No Fasth In Hiller

232 posts in this topic

The number of "soft" goals I have seen from Hiller this season has been very few. He probably went a good 2 months without allowing any poor goals, then he had one off night and people were on here complaining about him again. Even if Hiller turned into the second coming of Patrick Roy the Hiller haters will never be happy.

1 person likes this

The number of "soft" goals I have seen from Hiller this season has been very few. He probably went a good 2 months without allowing any poor goals, then he had one off night and people were on here complaining about him again. Even if Hiller turned into the second coming of Patrick Roy the Hiller haters will never be happy.

Of course the haters would come out in full force if he channeled his inner Roy. Hiller would let in 9 goals against Detroit and demand a trade after being pulled only to win a Cup with his new team the same season! =P

According to some, all three goals last night were "soft"

Is it my eyes, or shouldn't the topic on this thread say no faith in hiller?

The loss last night was because Halak outplayed Hiller, no more no less.  Can't believe he was that good, we even outshot them.  Again the PP doomed us, but at least we did get one on it.  Thanks MP.

Crossed fingers about Cam!

Very true!

Hiller is very calm and cool when he is in the net (polar opposite of jiggy) but has been "solid."  The team has been doing very well, and he has definitely helped in that regard, at times he's been the Ducks best player.  

I guess that I just do not understand why Hiller is under so much scrutiny. 

well said

According to some, all three goals last night were "soft"

I didn't think any were soft, but he was his own worst enemy with rebounds. I put some blame on this defense for NEVER tying guys up in front of the net. Never clearing the crease. When we shoot the puck and a rebound is left laying around, all you see is our guys tangled up and not having free sticks to get at them. When the enemy creates a rebound, their players are standing there free as could be to get at rebounds, often geting more than one crack at it. Our D men all play at the ends of their sticks too much. Soft play.

That Ovie goal was a bad read, but it's Ovie standing on his X mark. Even when goalies get there he usually beats them anyhow. Hard to say he had much chance either way.

1 person likes this

I didn't think any were soft, but he was his own worst enemy with rebounds. I put some blame on this defense for NEVER tying guys up in front of the net. Never clearing the crease. When we shoot the puck and a rebound is left laying around, all you see is our guys tangled up and not having free sticks to get at them. When the enemy creates a rebound, their players are standing there free as could be to get at rebounds, often geting more than one crack at it. Our D men all play at the ends of their sticks too much. Soft play.

That Ovie goal was a bad read, but it's Ovie standing on his X mark. Even when goalies get there he usually beats them anyhow. Hard to say he had much chance either way.

Leaving Ovie wide open for the one-timer was a huge defensive error on the pk. He is without a doubt, the Caps biggest threat on the pp.

Leaving Ovie wide open for the one-timer was a huge defensive error on the pk. He is without a doubt, the Caps biggest threat on the pp.

It was almost comical how all alone he was out there. A couple of us joked that he could set up a chair at his favorite spot on the ice. It looked like we were overloading the other side of the ice, and guys were taking peeks over their shoulders to be aware of Ovie. It looked like the idea was to take away the one-timer passing lane rather than trying to defend Ovie one on one. Maybe that's the best way to defend him, but those passes got through awfully easy.

It was almost comical how all alone he was out there. A couple of us joked that he could set up a chair at his favorite spot on the ice. It looked like we were overloading the other side of the ice, and guys were taking peeks over their shoulders to be aware of Ovie. It looked like the idea was to take away the one-timer passing lane rather than trying to defend Ovie one on one. Maybe that's the best way to defend him, but those passes got through awfully easy.

You almost knew that Ovie was cocked and ready to shoot! Where was Fistric? We needed him to give Ovie a rough ride!

Agreed.

I thought that Ovechkin shot just ate him up - but that's coming off the stick of the most lethal goal scorer in the league, wide open, in his favorite spot. And why was he all alone? Well... it was a power play that came via a needless slashing penalty behind the play by Belesky.

The other two goals were mostly on the defense.

2 people like this

Is it my eyes, or shouldn't the topic on this thread say no faith in hiller?

The loss last night was because Halak outplayed Hiller, no more no less.  Can't believe he was that good, we even outshot them.  Again the PP doomed us, but at least we did get one on it.  Thanks MP.

Crossed fingers about Cam!

Just in case... we had scored a single goal on the 5-3, another on the post and a third on the shot which tickled through Halak... we are looking at a 4 goal against game. That's taking into account that Halak couldn't have prevented, it is not taking into account the chance Teemu had on the cross ice pass from Getz nor the free laying puck which was cought up by Silfverberg.. 

What I'm trying to say... did Halak really outplay Hiller or did our guys get outplayed by the other team in term of using their chances? We gave powerplay chances to a much better powerplay team and we left the player with the most goals in the entire league bright open... on the powerplay... . That seems almost so retarded that I can't wrap my head around.  On 2 goals the cap player was there before any of us, just look at the first goal. 1 Caps player and like.. 4 Ducks? Who gets it? exactly. 

The team didn't do much to make [insert goaltender] look good and if we are going to continue this kind of "performances" it's not going to be pretty. 

1 person likes this

I have no faith in Hiller because the entire time he has been the "#1" goalie, he has done a prat fall in the playoffs.  In my opinion, he seems fragile when things don't go his way.  Also, he reminds me  of Bryzgalov because like Bryzy, he has moments of brilliance and moments of brain freeze. (LIke last nights 1st goal by PIttsburg- if HIller was awake the whole game, we would have won.)   I want this team to win the cup this year so much that I hate to say this, but I said it 3 years ago and I believe it is still true today:  We will never win the Cup with Hiller in net.  His inconsistancy will kill us. 

Yikes. Hiller's play in that series where we knocked out the Sharks (with the classic Youtube video of the Sharks fan crying as they were the #1 seed) was possibly the best goal tending I've ever seen. Absolutely inhuman. Unfortunately in the two series (that both went to seven games) that Hiller has played against the Red Wings, the Wings realized Hiller's weakness: the Duck's defense was so awful at clearing the crease, that you could skate right up to Hiller, put a blindfold on him, and then he could be scored upon. Nah. Absolutely was not Hiller's fault. I'd say in all of the Duck's playoff series; those two against the Wings ranked #1 and #2 for most god awful Ducks defensive play.

Just one word ...always always faith in Hiller . Et puis même lorsque les Ducks gagnent faut analyser le match . Tout n'est pas parfait même si le match est gagné!!!! Essayez vous de stopper un puck ( pas plus gros qu'un cookie) lancer a pleine vitesse avec 2 géants devant vous !!!! Si on perd cette coupe se sera pas la faute d'Hiller mais de toute l'équipe y compris les entraineurs... On a perdu contre les Oilers à la dernière seconde !!! Mais expliquez moi comment après des tirs de tous vos favoris ( Perry , Selane, koivu...) rien ne rentre!!! Les Oilers avaient de bon défenseurs , un bon gardien et des attaquants appliqués... Je ne suis pas aussi experte que vous en hockey mais ce soir les Ducks étaient pas bons et tous !!! Voilà c'est mon opinion ... Si on veut cette coupe faudrait se réveiller et en vouloir à chaque matchs .

Bien bonne soirée à vous tous ... Let's go Ducks

Just one word ...always always faith in Hiller . Et puis même lorsque les Ducks gagnent faut analyser le match . Tout n'est pas parfait même si le match est gagné!!!! Essayez vous de stopper un puck ( pas plus gros qu'un cookie) lancer a pleine vitesse avec 2 géants devant vous !!!! Si on perd cette coupe se sera pas la faute d'Hiller mais de toute l'équipe y compris les entraineurs... On a perdu contre les Oilers à la dernière seconde !!! Mais expliquez moi comment après des tirs de tous vos favoris ( Perry , Selane, koivu...) rien ne rentre!!! Les Oilers avaient de bon défenseurs , un bon gardien et des attaquants appliqués... Je ne suis pas aussi experte que vous en hockey mais ce soir les Ducks étaient pas bons et tous !!! Voilà c'est mon opinion ... Si on veut cette coupe faudrait se réveiller et en vouloir à chaque matchs .

Bien bonne soirée à vous tous ... Let's go Ducks

Can you please translate? 

Sorry very rude of me :(
  And even when the Ducks win the match must be analyzed. All is not perfect even when the game is won!! You try to stop a puck (no bigger than a cookie) run at full speed with 2 giants before you!! If we lose this cup is not the fault of Hiller but the whole team including the coaches ... We lost against the Oilers at the last second! But explain to me how after firing all your favorites (Perry, Selane, koivu ...) returns nothing! The Oilers had good defenders, a good goalkeeper and forwards applied ... I'm not as expert as you hockey but tonight the Ducks were not good and all! Here is my opinion ... If you want this cup would wake up and want each game.
Well good evening to all of you ... Let's go Ducks
:t_hot_unread:

2 people like this

Sorry very rude of me :(

And even when the Ducks win the match must be analyzed. All is not perfect even when the game is won!! You try to stop a puck (no bigger than a cookie) run at full speed with 2 giants before you!! If we lose this cup is not the fault of Hiller but the whole team including the coaches ... We lost against the Oilers at the last second! But explain to me how after firing all your favorites (Perry, Selane, koivu ...) returns nothing! The Oilers had good defenders, a good goalkeeper and forwards applied ... I'm not as expert as you hockey but tonight the Ducks were not good and all! Here is my opinion ... If you want this cup would wake up and want each game.

Well good evening to all of you ... Let's go Ducks :t_hot_unread:

No worries! I was not personally complaining about Hiller just showing some stats of goalies in the Western Conference. Most of my comments in the Andersen Thread were centered around, Freddy getting another start. 

The Ducks had some struggles and when that happens the first place people look at is the goalie. Hiller is capable of stealing a period and/or a game but has not done that lately. I do not feel the losses of this team solely rest on the goalie. There are concerns that I have that need to be resolved for the playoffs with the defense corps as well as our special teams (namely the PP).

That said, the Ducks won last night, and they got 5 out of a possible 6 points on this Canadian road-trip. Not too shabby! They are doing this while resting a key player or veteran per game.

1 person likes this

No worries! I was not personally complaining about Hiller just showing some stats of goalies in the Western Conference. Most of my comments in the Andersen Thread were centered around, Freddy getting another start. 

The Ducks had some struggles and when that happens the first place people look at is the goalie. Hiller is capable of stealing a period and/or a game but has not done that lately. I do not feel the losses of this team solely rest on the goalie. There are concerns that I have that need to be resolved for the playoffs with the defense corps as well as our special teams (namely the PP).

That said, the Ducks won last night, and they got 5 out of a possible 6 points on this Canadian road-trip. Not too shabby! They are doing this while resting a key player or veteran per game.

I agree with you. you know I am up to 3 hours in the morning to follow each game. like all fans I was so happy to win our last. but I find them in different ways to play them, but as I told you I learned to know the hockey in the slightest details, so I probably am wrong the analysis here. but I also think our defense should be reorganized ....

I became a fan of the Ducks with Hiller (and your great mascot :D :P ) and I learned to know each player of this great team, and as a fan I supporting each in victories as defeats in for me it is ca be fan .... of course we can be piddleed when they lose .... and I also hope that all is not lost for these playoffs...... :t_hot_unread: :t_hot_unread:

1 person likes this

I agree with you. you know I am up to 3 hours in the morning to follow each game. like all fans I was so happy to win our last. but I find them in different ways to play them, but as I told you I learned to know the hockey in the slightest details, so I probably am wrong the analysis here. but I also think our defense should be reorganized ....

I became a fan of the Ducks with Hiller (and your great mascot :D:P ) and I learned to know each player of this great team, and as a fan I supporting each in victories as defeats in for me it is ca be fan .... of course we can be piddleed when they lose .... and I also hope that all is not lost for these playoffs...... :t_hot_unread: :t_hot_unread:

That's so great that the Duck's have fans in different countries! Did you become a Ducks fan after seeing Hiller play for the national team?

Bj_WkXQCcAAiC1A.jpg

Found this interesting chart of goalie stats...

That is really interesting, thanks.

Side note - Hiller did not have a 0% sv against the Flames, I believe he made some saves.Just wondering about the accuracy of the whole graph considering that part is wrong.

nieder-

Side note - Hiller did not have a 0% sv against the Flames, I believe he made some saves.Just wondering about the accuracy of the whole graph considering that part is wrong.

Good point. I have Hiller's post-Olympic SV% at .898, if you remove the horrible Calgary game it's .910 as they show it above. I wonder why that game is excluded? He gave up 3 goals on 5 shots, yuck.

Good point. I have Hiller's post-Olympic SV% at .898, if you remove the horrible Calgary game it's .910 as they show it above. I wonder why that game is excluded? He gave up 3 goals on 5 shots, yuck.

Not sure if this will affect the numbers; but the chart focused just on 5 v 5. I'm curious if that is the difference... 

Not sure if this will affect the numbers; but the chart focused just on 5 v 5. I'm curious if that is the difference... 

Maybe he saved both shots he faced on the PP? Who knows.

Either way it's some pretty ugly reading for Hiller since the Olympic break, especially considering how dominant his stats were in Sochi. I thought he was going to come back and be a beast!

1 person likes this

Maybe he saved both shots he faced on the PP? Who knows.

Either way it's some pretty ugly reading for Hiller since the Olympic break, especially considering how dominant his stats were in Sochi. I thought he was going to come back and be a beast!

Hiller has not been as sharp lately as he has been in the past. But, I believe he will right the ship. If he doesn't, then they have a capable backup to fill in when needed. I do not; however, think it will come to that. Hiller has a reputation for taking his game to another level especially during the playoffs and the Olympics. That said, I think that the beast will return for the playoffs. He has millions of reasons to play well; and I think that he will be looking to cash in on them come July.

Hiller has not been as sharp lately as he has been in the past. But, I believe he will right the ship. If he doesn't, then they have a capable backup to fill in when needed. I do not; however, think it will come to that. Hiller has a reputation for taking his game to another level especially during the playoffs and the Olympics. That said, I think that the beast will return for the playoffs. He has millions of reasons to play well; and I think that he will be looking to cash in on them come July.

that's one of the reason I think he will elevate his game and be the better option for the playoffs. He has all reason to shine and make us proud. 

1 person likes this

Basically she's saying that we should keep ou faith no mather what and it's not always Hiller's fault.

Thank you for translating. And I agree.

You gotta believe in Hiller You just gotta believe lol.

I watched the Boston/ Philly game yesterday. I don't think Bruins fans are afraid with Rask in net but boy... he let one slip (no screen, just fanned on the glove hand) and Mason as well... . It happens to everyone. 

We have plenty of backups in the league with big numbers, better numbers than Andersen but you can't translate these into a leading role. Andersen will fetch a good team as well as a bad team in front of him. Since we did have a slump it wasn't him who had to play behind a team not scoring goals or playing on any other position on a consecutive base. Andersen numbers wouldn't look so pretty if he'd be the starter for the Ducks but rather similar or worse, considering that Hiller had a 14 games winning streak and games where he played totally lights out. (game vs. Kings which we lost but if anyone doubts his ability to play big... watch that game and be learned a lesson)

It's easy to say "let player x play" from a fan point of view because nobody from us is losing anything which is why it's frustrating how easily people talk and learn absolutely nothing from what they had asked prior. If Andersen starts and we lose in the first series, how many of those asking to start Andersen will bury BB? Heck how many asking more games for Andersen have no issue by signing another goaltender and Andersen would be restricted to a couple of games for the entire next season(s)? 

According to some people, Hiller would have been gone by last season already and we would have end up with an injured #1 and had to ride Andersen for most of this season and we would have needed a backup as well. 

Andersen has the benefit of being the "newbie" and just like Hiller in his first season as a backup with the Ducks, he's been rock solid. Hiller is the veteran which couldn't "win" a SC (just like it's only him who decides over winning and losing) and will only find redemption in the eye of the "simple" fans if we win a SC with him in net.  

1 person likes this

I watched the Boston/ Philly game yesterday. I don't think Bruins fans are afraid with Rask in net but boy... he let one slip (no screen, just fanned on the glove hand) and Mason as well... . It happens to everyone. 

We have plenty of backups in the league with big numbers, better numbers than Andersen but you can't translate these into a leading role. Andersen will fetch a good team as well as a bad team in front of him. Since we did have a slump it wasn't him who had to play behind a team not scoring goals or playing on any other position on a consecutive base. Andersen numbers wouldn't look so pretty if he'd be the starter for the Ducks but rather similar or worse, considering that Hiller had a 14 games winning streak and games where he played totally lights out. (game vs. Kings which we lost but if anyone doubts his ability to play big... watch that game and be learned a lesson)

It's easy to say "let player x play" from a fan point of view because nobody from us is losing anything which is why it's frustrating how easily people talk and learn absolutely nothing from what they had asked prior. If Andersen starts and we lose in the first series, how many of those asking to start Andersen will bury BB? Heck how many asking more games for Andersen have no issue by signing another goaltender and Andersen would be restricted to a couple of games for the entire next season(s)? 

According to some people, Hiller would have been gone by last season already and we would have end up with an injured #1 and had to ride Andersen for most of this season and we would have needed a backup as well. 

Andersen has the benefit of being the "newbie" and just like Hiller in his first season as a backup with the Ducks, he's been rock solid. Hiller is the veteran which couldn't "win" a SC (just like it's only him who decides over winning and losing) and will only find redemption in the eye of the "simple" fans if we win a SC with him in net.  

Philly vs Boston I always like Rivalies like them one time I watched it was like 7-6 that game was awesome I was shocked by the numbers.