Hi_De_Hi

Beleskey

957 posts in this topic

He is. He caught fire late last season, and I still honestly think if he didn't get Dustin Browned by the Kings, we might well have won that series. He was throwing hits like a boss, and burying feeds from Getzlaf with much more regularity than his former form, if you will (I used to affectionately call him High and Wide, but now he's strictly Mattie B, or "Matt Balls-of-Steel Beleskey"; or when he's REALLY on, Clint Beleskey). I think that losing his physicality, especially given how much softer the Ducks were last season, was a real blow to our team in that LA grind game.

Anyways.

Last night he had a goal, five shots, and EIGHT HITS against Philly. He's always been a high-energy wrecking ball who plays with tremendous heart, but now he's added some sick hands to that resume. Much love for Mattie.

Edited by norge25

Beleskey is earning a top-6 role so far with his play this season IMO. I'm loving what I'm seeing from him.

Heater can play both wings, so when we get healthy I think we'd do well to have: 

Maroon-Getzlaf-Perry

Beleskey-Kesler-Heatley

Cogs-Karlsson-Silfverberg

Thompson + DSP/Etem/Jackman/Palmieri

1 person likes this

If Heatley comes back and can actually play BB is gonna have some hard questions to answer on those two top LW spots. I would think he moves Beleskey around as needed, like when Heatley struggles or if he sits. The Beleskey-Kesler-DSP line seems to be doing better the expected so far and im not sure if its a Bells and Kesler thing or the whole line meshing well together. Either way i would like to see a Maroon-Kessler-DSP line and with how well the new third line played in Buff it looks like first or 4th line for Bells once Maroon and Heatley come back.

Beleskey is earning a top-6 role so far with his play this season IMO. I'm loving what I'm seeing from him.

Heater can play both wings, so when we get healthy I think we'd do well to have: 

Maroon-Getzlaf-Perry

Beleskey-Kesler-Heatley

Cogs-Karlsson-Silfverberg

Thompson + DSP/Etem/Jackman/Palmieri

Don't see it. For me it's always going to be:

Heatley - Getzlaf - Perry

Maroon - Kesler - DSP/Palmeiri

Cogs - Karlsson - Silfverberg

Belesky - Thompson - Jackman

Belesky is an extremely versatile player, but he's not an out-and-out top 6 forward.

The moment Maroon went down in Buffalo I went and added Beleskey to my fantasy team. It paid off immediately.  :D

Do hits even count? Mine only has scoring stats i.e. g, a, pts, SOG, PPP, +/-, etc.

it's crazy how often he's scoring right now.  very versatile player and wrecking ball.  developing some nice finishing hands this year, hope he keeps it up.  I see him as someone that has stepped up this year with the departure of our guys from last year.  smart move on his part!

I don't think he's top 6 player, but someone that can easily mesh with our top 2 lines.

1 person likes this

Belesky is an extremely versatile player, but he's not an out-and-out top 6 forward.

For some reason I am not expecting too much out of heater...he can barely skate as is and he starts the season with the groin injury?..depending how long maroons out it would be nice if he showed up to at least a few games before we dump him for nothing.

1 person likes this

Considering how much crap you gave Devo over the summer, I find this shocking.  :P

2 people like this

it's crazy how often he's scoring right now.  very versatile player and wrecking ball.  developing some nice finishing hands this year, hope he keeps it up.  I see him as someone that has stepped up this year with the departure of our guys from last year.  smart move on his part!

I don't think he's top 6 player, but someone that can easily mesh with our top 2 lines.

Bells has 8 goals in his last 13 games dating back to last season. And that includes two playoff games that he left early due to injury. The kid goes to the net harder than anyone and has developed the ability to finish (something lacking in his game earlier). If you put a player like that with supremely skilled centers like Getzlaf and Kesler, he's going to put the puck in the net. With as hot as he is, there's no way I'd move him out of the top-6 unless/until he cools down.

Beleskey is a 25-30 goal scorer with the way he is playing lately, and IMO he's far surpassed Palmieri, DSP, etc in terms of the all around game that he brings to the top-6.

Add: Beleskey is also a pending UFA at the end of this season. He's playing for his next contract, and we all know how NHL players like to overachieve in a contract year....

Edited by dtsdlaw
4 people like this

Love Beleskey, always out giving his all.  He's one player you won't see coasting or standing around away from the plays.  He's always in middle of the plays, sometimes on bottom of a pile.  I like that he brings speed to the top line, because either you slot in Heatley or Maroon, the top line remains a fairly big but slow line.  Add in Beleskey, all of a sudden you got someone that forechecks, chases after the puck, lays body on people to create room for the twins, and best of all he's fine tuned his shots to not always be high & wide anymore.  

He did well with the twins last year prior to getting injured, he's proving to do well with the twins again this season given the chance.  I disagree that he's not a top 6 forward.  If anything, he's more of a top 6 winger than any of the current healthy wingers on the roster outside of Perry.

One could argue he's playing well only because of the twins.  Well, if people remember, last year BB tried just about everybody with the twins.  People had flashes of brilliance with the twins, but nothing stuck...except for Beleskey until he got injured.  I like Maroon with the twins, but the truth is he has been known to disappear from time to time, just as last playoffs he was demoted from the top line during the series vs the Kings.  If Maroon can fine tune consistency, I think he deserves a spot up there.  But until then, I think Maroon can help out Kesler's line.

Kesler is being kind of wasted right now because none of his wingers can seem to finish his passes during 5 on 5.  He needs a capable winger, and I actually think Maroon or Heatley would do well to add scoring touch to Kesler's line.

1 person likes this

Bells has 8 goals in his last 13 games dating back to last season. And that includes two playoff games that he left early due to injury. The kid goes to the net harder than anyone and has developed the ability to finish (something lacking in his game earlier). If you put a player like that with supremely skilled centers like Getzlaf and Kesler, he's going to put the puck in the net. With as hot as he is, there's no way I'd move him out of the top-6 unless/until he cools down.

Beleskey is a 25-30 goal scorer with the way he is playing lately, and IMO he's far surpassed Palmieri, DSP, etc in terms of the all around game that he brings to the top-6.

Add: Beleskey is also a pending UFA at the end of this season. He's playing for his next contract, and we all know how NHL players like to overachieve in a contract year....

Yep. Bels won't ever get crap from me again when plugged into the top six. I agree that he's added a bit more finish top his game, and when it comes to playing balls out attacking the net, he pretty much sets the bar for this team. I was on the fence with him being re-signed next summer as I anticipated that the many young depth players would surpass him, but that doesn't seem to be the case. To me he's something like our versions of LA's Kyle Clifford (puke). The age and experience, ability to play competently in the top six when called on, and willingness to hit and fight make Bels an essential part of the roster IMO.

One small observation, does it seem to anyone else that Matt plays much harder in a top six role than he does the bottom six? I feel that he takes his overall effort level up a notch when playing in a bigger role. That might be the closest thing to a criticism I have at the moment.

Yep. Bels won't ever get crap from me again when plugged into the top six. I agree that he's added a bit more finish top his game, and when it comes to playing balls out attacking the net, he pretty much sets the bar for this team. I was on the fence with him being re-signed next summer as I anticipated that the many young depth players would surpass him, but that doesn't seem to be the case. To me he's something like our versions of LA's Kyle Clifford (puke). The age and experience, ability to play competently in the top six when called on, and willingness to hit and fight make Bels an essential part of the roster IMO.

One small observation, does it seem to anyone else that Matt plays much harder in a top six role than he does the bottom six? I feel that he takes his overall effort level up a notch when playing in a bigger role. That might be the closest thing to a criticism I have at the moment.

I don't think he plays harder, I just think that we hold onto possession more when the top-6 is on the ice and it allows him to show his skill set more. It's the same illusion for DSP I think. When Getz/Perry/Kesler are able to hold on to the puck for as long as they do, the opposite winger is able to do more. That's never going to be the case with an offensive black hole like Thompson as your center.

1 person likes this

I have been a big fan of Mattie B for awhile now.  I am glad to see him playing on the top line with the Twins.  Hope he stays there for now.

I am thinking of having his name/number added to one of those new road jerseys.  We will see, for now, huge fan of Mattie.

A few years ago, he was leaving Anaheim Ice with some of the other rookie players.  I had taken a few pictures of some of the guys and I was getting them to sign them.  He wanted to see my pictures.  He said, these are really good.  He has always been super nice to talk to and glad he is getting his time to shine with our Ducks.  During the preseason, he was working in the elevator by my section, I got my pic taken with him.  Maybe I will get it signed on friday, opening night red carpet event.

2 people like this

Matt belesky always contributes offensively when he is on the top line. i thought his injury was a big blow last playoffs. He was hot at that time too but then went down.

1 person likes this

Do hits even count? Mine only has scoring stats i.e. g, a, pts, SOG, PPP, +/-, etc.

No hits in the league I'm in but it's a very deep league and he's been playing well. I knew he'd be a fixture on the top line with Maroon, Palms, and Heater on IR. Scored me a goal right off the bat.

Matt Beleskey,the new Teemu Selänne!!!

4, days apart of Matt's birth and Teemu being drafted.

6, both are 6 feet tall.

12, the number of letters in both names.

17, Beleskey's number in Belleville,also Jari Kurri's number,who is Teemu's idol and dear friend.

22, at age both scored their first nhl career goal 

45, the number of penalty minutes both had in first 84 career games

1988, the year Matt was born,the year Teemu was drafted.

les/sel, beleskey selänne.

Thanks for all the replies.  This sounds like the Matt B we had when he played for us in the UK.  I shall definitly be wearing my #39 shirt to our game this weekend.

Thanks for all the replies.  This sounds like the Matt B we had when he played for us in the UK.  I shall definitly be wearing my #39 shirt to our game this weekend.

Bells rules. Wear it proud! Last season he played some of his best hockey with a swollen black eye. Heck, it might have worked on fixing his high and wide shots! He still does it but with more net success. 

Between Bells popping off and Norge's mention of Violent Gentlemen the other day, might have to get me that VG retro Ducks logo shirt in honor of Matty B. I know he sports it. Also Norge, that Valhalla shirt visually has too much King stank for my taste. Though the Swedish reference wasn't lost on me. Sport it proud as long as Caldersson makes his case! Heck, I'll buy your joo-joo more! And then he'll lose the Calder to a goalie who had one hot month and becomes total garbage after. 

1 person likes this

6, both are 6 feet tall.

17, Beleskey's number in Belleville,also Jari Kurri's number,who is Teemu's idol and dear friend.

Illuminati. 

2 people like this

Bells rules. Wear it proud! Last season he played some of his best hockey with a swollen black eye. Heck, it might have worked on fixing his high and wide shots! He still does it but with more net success. 

Between Bells popping off and Norge's mention of Violent Gentlemen the other day, might have to get me that VG retro Ducks logo shirt in honor of Matty B. I know he sports it. Also Norge, that Valhalla shirt visually has too much King stank for my taste. Though the Swedish reference wasn't lost on me. Sport it proud as long as Caldersson makes his case! Heck, I'll buy your joo-joo more! And then he'll lose the Calder to a goalie who had one hot month and becomes total garbage after. 

It's seriously the only article of clothing I've ever seen advertised and immediately purchased. Viking metal and hockey??! Those are two of my things! Pretty sweet to see an Amon Amarth collaboration.

I wouldn't wear it to a Kings v Ducks game, for sure, but the Kings can't own all black and silver clothing, imo. And the Violent Gents founders are Anaheim fans, so Kings fans can *insert choice phrase of choice here*.

Edited by norge25
1 person likes this

6, both are 6 feet tall.

That's it! I'll just call him Bennaleskey from now on. 

My best hope at this moment is that Etem develops into a Beleskey-type. Can't have too many of those. Sometimes I wonder if he has a little Cogs blood.

1 person likes this

It's seriously the only article of clothing I've ever seen advertised and immediately purchased. Viking metal and hockey??! Those are two of my things! Pretty sweet to see an Amon Amarth collaboration.

I wouldn't wear it to a Kings v Ducks game, for sure, but the Kings can't own all black and silver clothing, imo. And the Violent Gents founders are Anaheim fans, so Kings fans can *insert choice phrase of choice here*.

Oh WHAT!? I had no idea it was an Amon Amarth collab. That's awesome. My heart belongs to the punk rocks but I do love me some viking/folk metal. Might have to get one too!

1 person likes this

Wearing my #39 shirt worked then.  Not only did the Blaze win (after 9 rounds of penalty shots)! Matt also gets a ripper against the Blues!

2 people like this

Wearing my #39 shirt worked then.  Not only did the Blaze win (after 9 rounds of penalty shots)! Matt also gets a ripper against the Blues!

4 goals in 6 games! Keep repping that #39 please!  B)

4 goals in 6 games! Keep repping that #39 please!  B)

He better not pull a Winnik  :P

Edited by mytduxfan
2 people like this

He better not pull a Winnik  :P

9 goals in his last 15 games going back to last season. He's well beyond Winnik territory already.

Beleskey has found his groove.

2 people like this