The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Hi_De_Hi

Beleskey

@DarrenDreger: 5 yrs, $19 mil total for Beleskey in Boston. Aav of $3.8 mil. No move clause in first two years.

Wow, slap to face a bit. I mean, $3mil is $3mil and all, but wow.

• Like 1

I dunno, it may have been about term and NTC for Matty more than the money. I don't hold it against him, and he'll look pretty good in a B's sweater.

Exactly this. The front-loaded contract without any NTC just screamed "I plan to trade you sooner than later". Bels just got married. He wants stability now. It wasn't just about the money for him. I think that's pretty clear now.

I think this also gives a certain amount of credence to the rumors that BM and Bels had a contract dollar figure in place midseason (prob around $3M) but couldn't agree on an NTC.

That's pretty weak from Beleskey. I would have respected him more if he left for a huge payday, but for 3 million more than what Murray offered? He's going from a place where he fits on one of the best teams in the league to a team who is taking a step back from where they were a few years ago. Doesn't sound like he actually wanted to stay as much as he wanted fans to believe. I hold no ill will towards him though.

Edited by Spencer_12
  • Like 2

@DarrenDreger: 5 yrs, $19 mil total for Beleskey in Boston. Aav of $3.8 mil. No move clause in first two years.

Wow, slap to face a bit. I mean, $3mil is $3mil and all, but wow.

Damn that stings. Such a doable contract too. I fault Murray more than Matty.

Being objective though, I imagine that the way it played out was less cut and dry. We have to remember the way the free agent market plays out is unpredictable. Murray may have set a strict line with Bels becasue he had his sights on another target. Perhaps that target didn't pan out (Kessel was supposedly courted by a 2nd team in the west, for example). So he couldn't go all-in on Bels when he had bigger plans.

And Beleskey may not have taken Murray's deal because his agent was telling him he'd cash in big time, or at least get more locale preference and long term security by playing the UFA market. They went all day trying to work out a better offer, and at the end of the day settled for the Bruins. That may not have been the expectation (starting point) when they walked away from the Ducks. It sort of came full circle in terms of his value, but it had to play out in free agency first.

Edited by AustinDuck27

That is ridiculous! If you think you got game, then sign for similar money for a shorter term, Then when you prove that 2014-2015 was not a fluke, you can basically call your shot in 3 years. 

Thanks for the memories and don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out , Bels!

• Like 1

Damn that stings. Such a doable contract too. I fault Murray more than Matty.

Being objective though, I imagine that the way it played out was less cut and dry. We have to remember the way the free agent market plays out is unpredictable. Murray may have set a strict line with Bels becasue he had his sights on another target. Perhaps that target didn't pan out (Kessel was supposedly courted by a 2nd team in the west, for example). So he couldn't go all-in on Bels when he had bigger plans.

And Beleskey may not have taken Murray's deal because his agent was telling him he'd cash in big time, or at least get more locale preference and long term security by playing the UFA market. They went all day trying to work out a better offer, and at the end of the day settled for the Bruins. That may not have been the expectation (starting point) when they walked away from the Ducks. It sort of came full circle in terms of his value, but it had to play out in free agency first.

I'm not sure where the fault in Matty is at all. Anaheim offered him $16M. Boston offered him $19M. Anaheim offered him 4 years. Boston offered him 5 years. Anaheim didn't offer him an NTC/NMC. Boston did.

Who wouldn't take that deal? 

At least he's out east, and the B's fit his style of play.  Great city, great nasty fans.  Z will have to take in a game out there this year now.

I could not fault Beleskey if he would have have gotten 5 or 6 million in the free market....but 3.8 average for 5 years...playing for a team that he has no roots in, nor a playoff contender.

Sounds like he got bad advice from his agent.

• Like 6

I'm not sure where the fault in Matty is at all. Anaheim offered him $16M. Boston offered him $19M. Anaheim offered him 4 years. Boston offered him 5 years. Anaheim didn't offer him an NTC/NMC. Boston did.

Murray hasn't said what the specifics were.  Unless I'm missing something, RUMOR is the movement clause was the stumbling block. Boston gave him a NMC for the first 2 years.  Big deal.  If the contract that's rumored (from the Ducks) was 4 million / 4 year, and front loaded, then doubtful he would have been traded in the first 2 years even if he signed with the Ducks.  Rumor was 6 million in year 1 and 4 million in year 2.  Then it dropped in years 3 and 4.  

He ends up with one extra year in Boston, playing for a non Cup team.  I have to believe Beleskey is SICK RIGHT NOW, that this is the best he could get.

edit:  AND SICK RIGHT NOW HE DIDN'T TAKE THE DUCKS OFFER 

Edited by dukitup
  • Like 5

I wouldn't. Beleskey only gets a NMC for 2 years. So he's guaranteed only 2 years in Boston vs 1 in Anaheim. There's not a lot of stability being offered in either place. He's giving up 1 year of free agency for an extra 3 million to play for a team who won't win the Cup next year. Sounds like a poor decision to me.

• Like 2

I'm not sure Beleskey wanted to stay in Anaheim.  He seemed to be at odds with Boudreau at times.

I don't fault him for getting his contract, but I'm glad Murray passed on him, even at that amount.

• Like 1

I wouldn't.  As others have said, with the front-loaded deal the Ducks offered, he's essentially getting one additional year of no movement.  He would have had one more year of prime left when the Ducks' deal ended.  The Bruins deal isn't all that much better, if at all.

Plus it's in Boston.  Yuck.

• Like 3

I'm thinking the market might have dried up for him pretty quickly as the day wore on as well.

He picked a great team... =)

Murray hasn't said what the specifics were.  Unless I'm missing something, RUMOR is the movement clause was the stumbling block. Boston gave him a NMC for the first 2 years.  Big deal.  If the contract that's rumored (from the Ducks) was 4 million / 4 year, and front loaded, then doubtful he would have been traded in the first 2 years even if he signed with the Ducks.  Rumor was 6 million in year 1 and 4 million in year 2.  Then it dropped in years 3 and 4.  

He ends up with one extra year in Boston, playing for a non Cup team.  I have to believe Beleskey is SICK RIGHT NOW, that this is the best he could get.

edit:  AND SICK RIGHT NOW HE DIDN'T TAKE THE DUCKS OFFER 

False. He could have been traded at any moment, even to a place like Edmonton. What does the $6M in the first year mean to teams with deep pockets? Nothing at all. Reilly Smith just signed a 2yr/$6.85M extension in March with the Bruins and he's now a Panther as of this afternoon (not even a deep pocket team), without having played a single day under his new contract with Boston. And remember Visnovsky? The Kings gave him a front-loaded 5 year deal that paid him $7M in the first year and $3M in the 5th year and then traded him to Edmonton the day before the contract went into effect. That stuff happens in the NHL and its imcumbent upon the agents to buy as much security for their player as they can get.

So it's not a 2yrs v. 1yr calculation. It's 2 yrs v. 0 years. We have a lot of young kids on the cusp, and if any of them had pushed Beleskey for a top-6 roster spot during training camp this season then I think BM would have been exploring trade options this season to clear space for our RFAs.

• Like 1

I wouldn't.  As others have said, with the front-loaded deal the Ducks offered, he's essentially getting one additional year of no movement.  He would have had one more year of prime left when the Ducks' deal ended.  The Bruins deal isn't all that much better, if at all.

Plus it's in Boston.  Yuckeah!.

Fixed...! LOL

I think he was expecting more and didn't get it.  He's been in Anaheim for 7 years and was given great opportunities. And it took him 7 years to find his goal scoring. But, after 7 years he can't spell ANAHEIM, not AnahIEm Matty.  I don't see how he "wins" with that contract.  I think at the end of the day, he took what he could get. So much for the 6-7 years and $4.5-$5.

• Like 1

Seriously Bels?  You need to fire your agent!

Good reality check, too bad your pride got in the way.  I wasn't mad and would've been happy if he got his big payday.  Too bad the offers didn't come pouring in, and settling for a lower pay per year and 1 year longer term. 

Even if his production comes back down to earth and he's at 10-15 goals, that 5th year, I'm sure he can be signed as a depth player even on a 3rd or 4th line at $2-$3m five years from now, making the assumption that a Cup wasn't won in the next 4 years.  If he has a Cup on his resume, his payday 5 years from now most likely would've been higher than the $3m difference between our's and BOS offer.

So yeah, all those feel good feelings and best of luck wishes I had, even though he turned down our offer is gone.  Rather insulting to us fans and organization that "raised" him.

I know who I will be booing when Boston comes to the Ponda.

• Like 2

Did Beleskey's agent get called on his bluff? 

The agent said Beleskey had 12 clubs interested, had Beleskey turn down $4 million a season, and took an offer below $4million a season on the first day of free agency...

Either there's something behind the scenes Beleskey had a gripe with and he wanted out no matter what (maybe just pride?), or his agent got caught bluffing.

Either way, Ducks dodged a bullet at not committing that money to Beleskey.

p.s. I wouldn't have taken the Boston deal over the Anaheim deal (the Anaheim deal is the better deal) A NMC doesn't really matter if it's with a non-playoff club... bet you Beleskey waves the NTC by the second year at the trade deadline.

Edited by Thom-74
  • Like 1

Good luck Matty. Bruins are far from being my favourite team but your UK fans will still follow your fortunes.

On the contracts.  How certain are you that Ducks offered $16M with 6 in season 1. Is this fact or just rumour? Is it just $3M?  What is the tax situation over there like compared with California?  Could it be he also gets to hold onto a bigger proportion of his money?

This. Also, people are saying that Bels got a better deal per year from ANA, but he's still going to make an extra 3M is total. If he does end up the next Clarkson, he certainly won't be offered 3M+ after his contract with us i.e. he'd have a net loss of 3M. Money is money. I don't blame Bels. 

Do people complaining think Bels is even worth 3.8M per? I don't. I'm glad we walked away from him.

Seriously Bels?  You need to fire your agent!

Good reality check, too bad your pride got in the way.  I wasn't mad and would've been happy if he got his big payday.  Too bad the offers didn't come pouring in, and settling for a lower pay per year and 1 year longer term. 

Even if his production comes back down to earth and he's at 10-15 goals, that 5th year, I'm sure he can be signed as a depth player even on a 3rd or 4th line at $2-$3m five years from now, making the assumption that a Cup wasn't won in the next 4 years.  If he has a Cup on his resume, his payday 5 years from now most likely would've been higher than the $3m difference between our's and BOS offer.

So yeah, all those feel good feelings and best of luck wishes I had, even though he turned down our offer is gone.  Rather insulting to us fans and organization that "raised" him.

I know who I will be booing when Boston comes to the Ponda.

Why? He got more money and security. The salary per year would only have mattered if Bels was confident he could maintain the level of play we saw this year. He clearly isn't that confident and doesn't want to risk a drop in play i.e. less money on his next contract. If Bels drops back to his old way i.e. ~10 goals per year and good bottom 6 winger, he isn't going to demand $3M on his next contract i.e. he'd have lost money. In addition, I think the NTC was a big thing for Bels. 

I'm not going to boo the guy. He left us on good terms. He wanted to get paid and we couldn't facilitate that for him. Tbh, I'm glad we didn't pay him that kind of money. IMO, he's still not worth that kind of $.

Good luck Matty. Bruins are far from being my favourite team but your UK fans will still follow your fortunes.

On the contracts.  How certain are you that Ducks offered $16M with 6 in season 1. Is this fact or just rumour? Is it just $3M?  What is the tax situation over there like compared with California?  Could it be he also gets to hold onto a bigger proportion of his money?

It was confirmed by Eric Stephens a while back. 

Ducks were prepared to give Beleskey $16M over four with $6M in first season. So they've got that to use. Shorter term winger could fit.

I think security was also a big thing to Beleskey as well as money. He did alright. 

LET'S NOT BLAME BM GUYS OR BELS FOR WANTING CASH. THIS DEAL WAS ABSOLUTELY KOSHER AND WE KNEW WHERE WE STOOD EARLY. 

• Like 2

This. Also, people are saying that Bels got a better deal per year from ANA, but he's still going to make an extra 3M is total. If he does end up the next Clarkson, he certainly won't be offered 3M+ after his contract with us i.e. he'd have a net loss of 3M. Money is money. I don't blame Bels. 

Do people complaining think Bels is even worth 3.8M per? I don't. I'm glad we walked away from him.

Why? He got more money and security. The salary per year would only have mattered if Bels was confident he could maintain the level of play we saw this year. He clearly isn't that confident and doesn't want to risk a drop in play i.e. less money on his next contract. If Bels drops back to his old way i.e. ~10 goals per year and good bottom 6 winger, he isn't going to demand $3M on his next contract i.e. he'd have lost money. In addition, I think the NTC was a big thing for Bels. 

I'm not going to boo the guy. He left us on good terms. He wanted to get paid and we couldn't facilitate that for him. Tbh, I'm glad we didn't pay him that kind of money. IMO, he's still not worth that kind of $.

This. While I might disagree with you on whether he's worth $3.8M in terms of talent/skill over the next 3-4 years, I have always questioned his durability. Dude does not play a style of game that is consistent with staying healthy. In four years (when his deal with us would have expired) he'll be 31, and with the amount of abuse he gives his body and the way he plays the game, he'll be lucky to still be able to lace his skates up let alone score 10-15G/season in his 30s. He had to get as much money and term on this deal as possible. At age 31, he could just as easily be on his way out of the league due to an accumulation of injuries/concussions or wallowing in a bottom-6 checking role with declining skills. Middle-6 guys who maintain productivity levels into their 30s are usually good skaters with a track record of good health. Beleskey is neither.

• Like 3

Nice post myt, pretty much covers everything and spot on. But to answer the question of hiis value, I do think even at $3.8MM per, he's a little overpaid, but really only by $500k or so. If Murray doesn't do anything to upgrade the top six wing aside from adding Hagelin (another 2nd/3rd line tweener), I'd gladly have taken Beleskey at a slight overpayment for 5 years, with only 2 years of NTC, rather than have nothing. 

That 2nd line of Bels-Kes-Silf was legit as hell, and for all the clamoring for the need of a big moment player, we already had one with Bels. I also like that he has been a fit on both top six lines, which is something we haven't been able to get from other guys.

But if Murray can find a better guy without selling the farm, and his cost is more relative to what you know he can provide each season, then I'm over Beleskey pretty easily, even though he's been a favorite of mine.

He'll be under lots of pressure to provide top six offense in Boston, they won't be so casual about letting him slide up and down the roster without feeling let down by him. He's probably lucky he didn't cash in for 5x5 or something, a contract like that with those expectations can be a career killer. 

• Like 1

Nathan Thompson ‏@NateThompson44  18h

@NHLBruins you are getting 1 heck of a player and even better guy in @Matt_Beleskey. Good luck bud it was a pleasure playing with u #Ski

Dan Wood ‏@Duckscolorman  17h

Gonna miss both @Matt_Beleskey and Francois Beauchemin. Good players. Better guys. #NHLDucks

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 2

I won't boo Bels, but I'm definitely gonna be salty for awhile.

I get to pull for him for 80 games of the Bruins season!

• Like 2