The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Hi_De_Hi

Beleskey

I get to pull for him for 80 games of the Bruins season!

They got rid of Lucic. If they get rid of Marchand too, I might just join you....

I don't see reason in booing Beleskey... he didn't pull anything close to a Justin Schultz.

As far as the money, and his agent goes... yes Boston gives him five years. Another year of 3.8 million. But with Boston, by the time they get back to the playoffs, he'll be at the end of his contract. His long term future was brighter coming from an every year playoff contender. His year 5,6,7 after a contract with Anaheim would pay better than his 6,7 season coming from Boston.

It's all hypotheticals, but it's based on things we know to be true. A player from a good team who is on the downside of their career can still make decent money. A player from a bad team has to be stellar to have any value on the downside of their career.

No he wasn't worth 3.8, we're lucky that he moved on rather than take the 4 a season. But his agent screwed up, no two ways about it.

Edited by Thom-74
  • Like 1

I don't boo former Ducks players when they return, but anyone who booed Dustin Penner 7-8 years ago after he went to Edmonton should be booing Beleskey.  For those who don't remember, the Oilers presented Penner with an offer sheet with a multiyear contract worth $4 MM/yr.  The Ducks didn't match it, and the rumor was that Burke wasn't going any higher than $2.5 MM/yr.  Penner just had a great season, won a Cup, and would have been crazy to turn down that much money, yet fans booed him when he returned.  Now Beleskey leaves for less money per season, in spite of the unfinished business and talking up how much he wanted to stay in Anaheim.  The only reason not to be angry with him is that he got bad advice from his agent.

Don't boo Matty. He was a good servant on your team for a good few years.  He didn't cost you very much in terms of $$$#

I wish him every success in Boston, not anywhere near my favourite team but I and many in Coventry will be rooting for him.

I don't see reason in booing Beleskey... he didn't pull anything close to a Justin Schultz.

As far as the money, and his agent goes... yes Boston gives him five years. Another year of 3.8 million. But with Boston, by the time they get back to the playoffs, he'll be at the end of his contract. His long term future was brighter coming from an every year playoff contender. His year 5,6,7 after a contract with Anaheim would pay better than his 6,7 season coming from Boston.

It's all hypotheticals, but it's based on things we know to be true. A player from a good team who is on the downside of their career can still make decent money. A player from a bad team has to be stellar to have any value on the downside of their career.

No he wasn't worth 3.8, we're lucky that he moved on rather than take the 4 a season. But his agent screwed up, no two ways about it.

You mean next season? =)

The Bruins odds to WIN the Eastern Conference next season are hovering at 15-2, right behind Washington and Montreal, and ahead of both Detroit and Ottawa out of this years playoff teams.

Boston will be in the mix.

• Like 1

You mean next season? =)

The Bruins odds to WIN the Eastern Conference next season are hovering at 15-2, right behind Washington and Montreal, and ahead of both Detroit and Ottawa out of this years playoff teams.

Boston will be in the mix.

What will they do about that defense now? Not feeling inspired by that blueline without Hamilton.

• Like 1

What will they do about that defense now? Not feeling inspired by that blueline without Hamilton.

Totally agree..my buddy from Boston said Oduya is the rumor today..won't solve it bit a step in right direction

Edited by pondplayer

They'll need to add another guy for sure, but Joe Morrow should be ready, they have Chara, Krug, and Seidenberg...

I'm not expecting them to make a hard run, but the East isn't all that strong. Bruins will compete.

They'll need to add another guy for sure, but Joe Morrow should be ready, they have Chara, Krug, and Seidenberg...

I'm not expecting them to make a hard run, but the East isn't all that strong. Bruins will compete.

I see them easing into what Philly has become over the last several years. Philly has done a great job of building a great talent pool in their farm system that should eventually help take the muddling big club back into the contention. Not unlike what Murray did here to some extent (re-tooling via the draft). Boston went hard in that direction this summer with their moves to bring in all those prospects and picks, and while they will still be competitive until Chara (and to a lesser extent Seidenberg) can no longer hold a stick, signing a guy like Beleskey makes me wonder if they are holding on a little too hard and might be messing up what could be a relatively short re-tool.

I don't boo former Ducks players when they return, but anyone who booed Dustin Penner 7-8 years ago after he went to Edmonton should be booing Beleskey.  For those who don't remember, the Oilers presented Penner with an offer sheet with a multiyear contract worth $4 MM/yr.  The Ducks didn't match it, and the rumor was that Burke wasn't going any higher than $2.5 MM/yr.  Penner just had a great season, won a Cup, and would have been crazy to turn down that much money, yet fans booed him when he returned.  Now Beleskey leaves for less money per season, in spite of the unfinished business and talking up how much he wanted to stay in Anaheim.  The only reason not to be angry with him is that he got bad advice from his agent.

You just defended why we shouldn't be angry with Beleskey.  He got bad advice from his agent.  

I don't think for a minute Beleskey leaves if he knew, before the FA period started,  what he would end up signing for.  Unless I hear from Murray he refused a NMC for any year, I have to believe Beleskey regrets not staying with Anaheim.  Hindsight 50/50 as they say.

Also, they just dumped that bum Lucic on LA and for an absolute killing :P

You just defended why we shouldn't be angry with Beleskey.  He got bad advice from his agent.  

I don't think for a minute Beleskey leaves if he knew, before the FA period started,  what he would end up signing for.  Unless I hear from Murray he refused a NMC for any year, I have to believe Beleskey regrets not staying with Anaheim.  Hindsight 50/50 as they say.

I don't know if we'll ever hear it from Murray, but Eric Stephens tweeted this, and he's been pretty good about knowing what is going on with the contract negotiations. 

Eric Stephens ‏@icemancometh  Jul 1

So much for the outrageous money. The lack of NMC from Ducks was an early stumbling block. A key one probably. 

Stephens is also the same guy who tweeted about the NMC issues during the midseason negotiations.

In hindsight, now that the drama has played out, I think Beleskey was probably as good as gone once the trade deadline came and went without an extension getting done, regardless of the money he eventually signed for. He read the tea leaves in Anaheim and they didn't look good for his future here. On top of not getting an NTC/NMC (if you believe Stephens), BM used the #10 pick on a LW in last summer's draft, then brought in another highly-skilled 2-way LW in Sekac a week before the trade deadline. Considering that Beleskey isn't a 2-way player, any drop-off in Beleskey's production going forward would mean that he would have been perilously close to becoming the 5th LW option behind Maroon, Cogliano, Sekac, and Ritchie, all of whom are pretty much cost-controlled (i.e. cheap) for the next 3+ years. Add to that the structure of the contract that he was offered (heavily front-loaded in the 1st year), and all of the circumstances were pointing to him likely becoming trade bait within the first year or two of his new deal (keep in mind that Clarkson was even traded during the second year on that horrible contract). I think Beleskey was simply wanting a little more stability than what he thought BM was offering. This theory is also supported by the fact that he signed with Boston. A lesser team than Anaheim (I love saying that now!), but the Bruins had just shipped out their top line LW (Lucic) 5 days earlier and they also offered Bels 2 years of NMC. Call me crazy, but moving out LWs and offering NMCs says "stability" a lot more than adding LWs and not offering NMCs.

Putting on my tinfoil hat... I also wonder if a couple of additional factors may have come into play too. For one, Beleskey was waived by BM in 2011, just a few days before Carlyle was fired. And it wasn't for the purpose of sending him to Syracuse (he was never actually sent down), it was just to see if another team would take him off our hands. Being put on waivers for the purpose of getting rid of you can't leave a good taste in your mouth, and it's not unreasonable to think that maybe there was a slight grudge held against BM for giving up on him. Second, back when Bobby Ryan was traded, Beleskey made a comment that his then-girlfriend (now wife) was very close with Bobby's then-girlfriend (now wife). You can't help but wonder if the well was poisoned a little, so to speak, by everything that went down behind the scenes between Bobby and Bob Murray. If the WAGs were as close as Bels says they were, there had to be some conversations going on in private about how that situation with Bobby was going down. So based on these two additional considerations, it could have just been an issue of Beleskey not trusting BM, and the additional $200K/season wasn't enough to overcome that lack of trust.

I don't know if we'll ever hear it from Murray, but Eric Stephens tweeted this, and he's been pretty good about knowing what is going on with the contract negotiations.

Stephens is also the same guy who tweeted about the NMC issues during the midseason negotiations.

In hindsight, now that the drama has played out, I think Beleskey was probably as good as gone once the trade deadline came and went without an extension getting done, regardless of the money he eventually signed for. He read the tea leaves in Anaheim and they didn't look good for his future here. On top of not getting an NTC/NMC (if you believe Stephens), BM used the #10 pick on a LW in last summer's draft, then brought in another highly-skilled 2-way LW in Sekac a week before the trade deadline. Considering that Beleskey isn't a 2-way player, any drop-off in Beleskey's production going forward would mean that he would have been perilously close to becoming the 5th LW option behind Maroon, Cogliano, Sekac, and Ritchie, all of whom are pretty much cost-controlled (i.e. cheap) for the next 3+ years. Add to that the structure of the contract that he was offered (heavily front-loaded in the 1st year), and all of the circumstances were pointing to him likely becoming trade bait within the first year or two of his new deal (keep in mind that Clarkson was even traded during the second year on that horrible contract). I think Beleskey was simply wanting a little more stability than what he thought BM was offering. This theory is also supported by the fact that he signed with Boston. A lesser team than Anaheim (I love saying that now!), but the Bruins had just shipped out their top line LW (Lucic) 5 days earlier and they also offered Bels 2 years of NMC. Call me crazy, but moving out LWs and offering NMCs says "stability" a lot more than adding LWs and not offering NMCs.

Putting on my tinfoil hat... I also wonder if a couple of additional factors may have come into play too. For one, Beleskey was waived by BM in 2011, just a few days before Carlyle was fired. And it wasn't for the purpose of sending him to Syracuse (he was never actually sent down), it was just to see if another team would take him off our hands. Being put on waivers for the purpose of getting rid of you can't leave a good taste in your mouth, and it's not unreasonable to think that maybe there was a slight grudge held against BM for giving up on him. Second, back when Bobby Ryan was traded, Beleskey made a comment that his then-girlfriend (now wife) was very close with Bobby's then-girlfriend (now wife). You can't help but wonder if the well was poisoned a little, so to speak, by everything that went down behind the scenes between Bobby and Bob Murray. If the WAGs were as close as Bels says they were, there had to be some conversations going on in private about how that situation with Bobby was going down. So based on these two additional considerations, it could have just been an issue of Beleskey not trusting BM, and the additional $200K/season wasn't enough to overcome that lack of trust.

That's all well and good, but not a great excuse for saying you really want to make a deal work in Anaheim, really want to stay, "love it here", can't imagine playing anywhere else, and then bolting for not much more salary or term.

I can understand Bells leaving, even if it was for less money. I don't know about the whole stability thing though. So he wanted reassurance that he wouldn't have to uproot his life via a NTC after a year or two so he goes and uproots his life anyway by moving to Boston for only a two year guarantee that he won't have to do it again?  That doen't make sense too me.

Regardless I'm siding with BM here everytime. Bells is not the type of player that you want to be spending 3.8-4mil dollars on per year and NTC's are not to be handed out lightly. We have more important people to pay in the near future and Bells won't be hard to replace. ( we already did with Hags)

I wish him the best in Boston and I hope his goal scoring touch wasn't a one off. He's a great guy, and we will all miss him here in Anaheim.

• Like 1

That's all well and good, but not a great excuse for saying you really want to make a deal work in Anaheim, really want to stay, "love it here", can't imagine playing anywhere else, and then bolting for not much more salary or term.

Would you feel better about it if Bels had just said, "I love it here. I really want to make it work here. I can't imagine playing anywhere else, but I don't trust Bob Murray to keep me in Anaheim for more than a month unless he offers me an NMC"? 

That would certainly be more honest, but he's never going to say that publicly. No one does.

Would you feel better about it if Bels had just said, "I love it here. I really want to make it work here. I can't imagine playing anywhere else, but I don't trust Bob Murray to keep me in Anaheim for more than a month unless he offers me an NMC"? 

That would certainly be more honest, but he's never going to say that publicly. No one does.

Completely agree. Only the stupid ones make public comments.

Not much more salary? It's 3M more!!! I don't know about you, but I've never left 3M on the table. Are you seriously telling me that if someone offered you 3M to leave ANA for BOS you wouldn't do it? I'd do that in a heartbeat and I don't even live in ANA. 

I have no problem with Bels leaving despite his comments about wanting to stay. I genuinely believe he wanted to stay, but got an offer too good to refuse elsewhere. What's the problem?

Not much more salary? It's 3M more!!! I don't know about you, but I've never left 3M on the table. Are you seriously telling me that if someone offered you 3M to leave ANA for BOS you wouldn't do it? I'd do that in a heartbeat and I don't even live in ANA.

I have no problem with Bels leaving despite his comments about wanting to stay. I genuinely believe he wanted to stay, but got an offer too good to refuse elsewhere. What's the problem?

Well I'm at an odd one. If someone offered me $3 mil straight-up to move to Boston, I'd definitely be down. But if someone was offering me $16 mil to stay in SoCal and $19 mil to move to Boston, I'd take the $16 and stay where my family and friends are. Not to mention a better chance to win/accomplish something significant. ;)

That said, I'll be over it eventually, but I'm mostly raw at him for getting our hopes up and then bailing cuz he was one of my favorite Ducks, not because I can't see the business sense.

• Like 2

Well I'm at an odd one. If someone offered me $3 mil straight-up to move to Boston, I'd definitely be down. But if someone was offering me $16 mil to stay in SoCal and $19 mil to move to Boston, I'd take the $16 and stay where my family and friends are. Not to mention a better chance to win/accomplish something significant. ;)

That said, I'll be over it eventually, but I'm mostly raw at him for getting our hopes up and then bailing cuz he was one of my favorite Ducks, not because I can't see the business sense.

Bels is Canadian. I don't think his ties to Cali are that strong, especially in terms of family i.e. parents, cousins, etc. We were mainly holding onto the hope he'd want to stay for his wife, who is an actress. However, I'm not sure she's quite as successful to justify leaving 3M on the table.

I liked Bels, but he wasn't anywhere near my favourite player. Personally, I'm glad he declined the 4M x 4 BM offered him. Unfortunately, I have to say that I don't think he repeats. Good luck to him though. I certainly won't be booing him.

• Like 1

Bels is Canadian. I don't think his ties to Cali are that strong, especially in terms of family i.e. parents, cousins, etc. We were mainly holding onto the hope he'd want to stay for his wife, who is an actress. However, I'm not sure she's quite as successful to justify leaving 3M on the table.

I liked Bels, but he wasn't anywhere near my favourite player. Personally, I'm glad he declined the 4M x 4 BM offered him. Unfortunately, I have to say that I don't think he repeats. Good luck to him though. I certainly won't be booing him.

How do taxes figure into Bel's situation and decision? Mass. is the socialist heartland, so I can't believe that their tax structure and laws are all that much less than California's, or just how does that work?

Beleskey was 0, 1, -1 wth 1 SOG. He had 0 PP and PK time, 13:53 ice time. Bruins lost 6-2.

He'll be a one year wonder. Having said that, the BOS team is terrible because it's terrible, not because of Bels.

He'll be a one year wonder. Having said that, the BOS team is terrible because it's terrible, not because of Bels.

It's going to be a tough year for Boston I think... and to make matters worse, Neely shat the bed in the draft.

It's going to be a tough year for Boston I think... and to make matters worse, Neely shat the bed in the draft.

You not happy with who you got?

Bels scored a Bels like goal during the BOS MTL game. 1st goal for his new team, was the only goal for a while for BOS. Still lost 2-4.

If anyone actually saw the goal it's classic Beleskey... some funny ricochet of a MTL player i.e. not a pure goal scorers goal.