The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Administrator

Los Angeles Kings Catch-All (4)

8th team in history to miss the playoffs after winning the Cup... I like the sound of that. Also:

"We still defended it," Quick said. "We defended it for 81 games."

...okaaay...? I mean, honestly, who says that?

8th team in history to miss the playoffs after winning the Cup... I like the sound of that. Also:

LOL. So full of crap, everyone on that team. I like Sutter saying "the season isn't over yet".  :lol:  Full denial mode.

Isn't this the team that makes fun of others making excuses, priding themselves on never making excuses? The LA excuse generator is cranking at full steam right now. So much for that I guess lol.

On the above achievement:

Ducks - first California team to win the Cup.

Kings - first California team to miss the playoffs after winning the Cup.

Hmm, I like ours better.  ;)

If they defended it, they'd be in the playoffs.

I'm really tired of hearing the "we played so many games the last 3 years."  

The only legitimate complaint Queens fans can point to is that they lost Voynov unexpectedly. The Queens were already up against the cap so they could not go get anyone to replace him.

Due to the salary cap going down instead of up last summer many teams found themselves in a bind. This why the Queens lost Mitchell. The guy was due a a raise and he wasn't going to take a discount after winning two cups in three seasons. at his age he needed to get paid while he could.

Ultimately the Queens failed due to their inability to win overtime games. What I find hilarious is you have pundits (including our friend Cullen at TSN) calling the shootout a skills competition and using the Queens demise as an excuse to eliminate it.

Sutter claiming the season isn't over was priceless. PRICELESS!!

I guess the worst thing about all this is that the conditional first-rounder they traded for Shakira comes back now.

Too bad, I wanted revenge on the elimination from last year.

I love that a team which prides itself on its stupid statistical excellence (corsi, possession numbers, goal differential, etc.) was prevented from entering the big show by a team (Calgary) who makes absolutely no sense when it comes to stats.

The Flames are the best feel good story of the season. Even if they didn't make the playoffs, their season would be counted as a success because they overcame all odds and stupid predictions.

Golf Kings Golf!

I guess the worst thing about all this is that the conditional first-rounder they traded for Shakira comes back now.

They still give up next years though and for what? Nothing! They'll be picking around middle of the pack this year i.e. Konecy territory (however, I think he'll go earlier). They're going to pick something decent, but this years draft is pretty deep so I expect everyone with a 1st round draft pick to get something decent. Top 5 picks are all pretty filthy prospects i.e. potentially elite, but the the standard drops after that to mostly #1-2 line potential forwards and #2-4 D-men. However, that extends pretty deep in the draft. Kind of sucks we don't have a 2nd, but so glad that BM kept our 1st round pick now.

Too bad, I wanted revenge on the elimination from last year.

I love that a team which prides itself on its stupid statistical excellence (corsi, possession numbers, goal differential, etc.) was prevented from entering the big show by a team (Calgary) who makes absolutely no sense when it comes to stats.

The Flames are the best feel good story of the season. Even if they didn't make the playoffs, their season would be counted as a success because they overcame all odds and stupid predictions.

Golf Kings Golf!

Are there any websites that track shot-location? I would swear that the Kings lead the NHL by a wide margin in shots on net from the red line. Most teams dump it in behind the net and try to get in on the forecheck, but the Kings just fire it on net from anywhere and hope that either (1) there's a bad rebound, (2) there's a bad exchange from goalie to D-man, (3) they get an O-zone face-off, or (4) Richard Bachman is manning the pipes. It's a basic part of their strategy/system, and I really think that it inflates their possession stats by quite a bit. 

Are there any websites that track shot-location? I would swear that the Kings lead the NHL by a wide margin in shots on net from the red line. Most teams dump it in behind the net and try to get in on the forecheck, but the Kings just fire it on net from anywhere and hope that either (1) there's a bad rebound, (2) there's a bad exchange from goalie to D-man, (3) they get an O-zone face-off, or (4) Richard Bachman is manning the pipes. It's a basic part of their strategy/system, and I really think that it inflates their possession stats by quite a bit. 

And the often dominating cycling game that Getzlaf and Perry do at times skews their possession stats the other way...

I love advanced STATS in hockey, however I'm not completely sold on them (vs. baseball where I think they're very accurate). In the great sport of hockey there still exists a element of qualitative analysis that the quantitative approach simply does not cover (i.e. quality of shots), and when you have to account for (omit) large chunks of time (3rd period) to account for leads, etc. it devalues the data sets IMHO.

Anyway, you make some great points here... they absolutely dump it in on the goalie. 

The only legitimate complaint Queens fans can point to is that they lost Voynov unexpectedly. The Queens were already up against the cap so they could not go get anyone to replace him.

Due to the salary cap going down instead of up last summer many teams found themselves in a bind. This why the Queens lost Mitchell. The guy was due a a raise and he wasn't going to take a discount after winning two cups in three seasons. at his age he needed to get paid while he could.

Ultimately the Queens failed due to their inability to win overtime games. What I find hilarious is you have pundits (including our friend Cullen at TSN) calling the shootout a skills competition and using the Queens demise as an excuse to eliminate it.

Sutter claiming the season isn't over was priceless. PRICELESS!!

Interesting that it would be blamed on the shootout considering many analysts also think Quibaby is the best goalie in the NHL.

Just read the article on why the kings didn't make it in the post season. FATIGUE?? but more importantly...FATIGUE FROM THE OLYMPICS!!??FATIGUE FROM THE PAST THREE POST SEASONS!!!!!!!????? you mean to tell me that "those games the kings played three years ago(and the resulting tiredness) attributed to them failing to make the playoffs three years later? there you have it- the kings didn't make the playoffs because they had too many athletes at the Olympics, and they already played too many post season games. I know a team that has also sent several to the Olympics, faced injury after injury, missed key players throughout the season...Anaheim. You didn't see the MIGHTY ducks back off when they were mump ridden, or when they lost perry and others to (dirty) hits. Grow up L.A. And also, grow up NHL.com. stop with the protection and "covering-up" of teams just because people want to be spoon fed some comforting story. Tell it how it is: they won two titles in three seasons, and everyone in the organization got soft and cocky, the whole fanbase is full of crap, and everyone is sick of everything "king". A true team would never make excuses for not playing their best. the ducks are true rulers of SO-CAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

GOLF KINGS GOLF!   GOLF KINGS GOLF!      :t_hot_unread: :t_hot_unread: :t_hot_unread:

Interesting that it would be blamed on the shootout considering many analysts also think Quibaby is the best goalie in the NHL.

Quick. Over rated.

Scrivens looked pretty good behind that teams defense!

I thought they were the 5th team (last being Carolina)...

Defended it? Agreed... who says that? What does that mean? 

The last King's fan I spoke to told me it doesn't matter what you do in the regular season it's all about the playoffs!

I thought they were the 5th team (last being Carolina)...

Defended it? Agreed... who says that? What does that mean?

The last King's fan I spoke to told me it doesn't matter what you do in the regular season it's all about the playoffs!

Hmm... Tony Luftman said 8th in the NHL's game recap video, so does this article by Sportsnet: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-playoff-push-penguins-have-chance-to-clinch/

... Wikipedia and the OC Register

http://m.ocregister.com/articles/kings-657160-danger-playoffs.html say 5th though. Wonder what's up with that? Also, that Carolina team? Yeah Justin Williams was on it, too.

Hmm... Tony Luftman said 8th in the NHL's game recap video, so does this article by Sportsnet: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-playoff-push-penguins-have-chance-to-clinch/

... Wikipedia and the OC Register

http://m.ocregister.com/articles/kings-657160-danger-playoffs.html say 5th though. Wonder what's up with that? Also, that Carolina team? Yeah Justin Williams was on it, too.

Luftman must have been drinking like me! 

All that matters is LOL KINGS.

For band wagoners there's still the Voynov beating his wife trial that should make them all feel at home. Maybe Brown will show up and go knee-to-knee with the prosecutor at recess.

Goooo Queens!!!...of stone age...what a great band.

BTW who said it this would happen? (Kings would miss the play-offs)

i think i did  :D  B) .

was it week,two ago?,not sure  :rolleyes: .

BTW did anyone catch that

5 reasons why Kings missed the play-offs

on nhl.com?.

the only team that they did that with,

rest was 5 reasons why -enter team name- clinched,

do nhl.com favor the kings?.

Goooo Queens!!!...of stone age...what a great band.

BTW who said it this would happen? (Kings would miss the play-offs)

i think i did  :D  B) .

was it week,two ago?,not sure  :rolleyes: .

Actually, IIRC, it was Z like a month ago, maybe more. LA still had around 20 games left, so whenever that was. It's was bound to happen though. I mean a bunch of guys jumping on the "I told you the Kings would miss the playoffs" wagon. Jeeeeezzz.

They just said they are wearing their Stadium series unis. Sharks already scored. Keep it up Sharks.

Hahaaaa why are they wearing their adult diapers again? It's not like they could s**t the bed any worse than they already have...