The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ZTHER

Anaheim V Chicago Non-Game Day Thread

Blackhawks fan here. Best of luck to you guys. I hope that its a good series, and that no one gets injured, because I believe the winner of the Western Conference will go on to win the cup.

I've been reading through the forum, and I have a couple of thoughts. Any true Blackhawks fan is not underestimating the talent and depth that the Ducks have. I think that the Hawks have more of it though. Many of you may not know who Teuvo Teravainen is that well, but you will after this series. He is a young RW, and a clone of Kaner. The Sharp/Vermette/Teravainen line has been playing as well as they ever have, and is the largest reason we were able to sweep the Wild. Not so much because of their production, but because as the 3rd line, there just wan't that much of a let-up vs. the top two. Of course our top two lines, are most likely the best in the NHL. My biggest concern right now is replacing Rozsival. He wasn't a great defenseman, but Rundblad is worse. 

Yes, Crawford can be streaky, and he was pulled in the Preds series for Darling. But he seems to have righted the ship, and only allowed seven goals in four games against the wild.. Don't forget he was the Jennings trophy winner, and appears to have his swagger back.

I thought the Teen Wolf comment was hilarious. Yes, Kaner really can't grow a beard, but he sure tries.

Overall this is going to come down to experience vs. enthusiasm, and the former usually wins out. Playoff Hockey is just different, and the Hawks have A LOT of experience at it.

This is going to be a good one, but I'm saying Hawks in six.  :)

Good luck Ducks!

Possibly for Hammer. Kid seems to be increasing mistakes game-per-game. Not willing to hang him, but maybe just needs a rest and refocus.

He'll get that in the time off between series. Bench Lindholm!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Good one.

Blackhawks fan here. Best of luck to you guys. I hope that its a good series, and that no one gets injured, because I believe the winner of the Western Conference will go on to win the cup.

I've been reading through the forum, and I have a couple of thoughts. Any true Blackhawks fan is not underestimating the talent and depth that the Ducks have. I think that the Hawks have more of it though. Many of you may not know who Teuvo Teravainen is that well, but you will after this series. He is a young RW, and a clone of Kaner. The Sharp/Vermette/Teravainen line has been playing as well as they ever have, and is the largest reason we were able to sweep the Wild. Not so much because of their production, but because as the 3rd line, there just wan't that much of a let-up vs. the top two. Of course our top two lines, are most likely the best in the NHL. My biggest concern right now is replacing Rozsival. He wasn't a great defenseman, but Rundblad is worse. 

Yes, Crawford can be streaky, and he was pulled in the Preds series for Darling. But he seems to have righted the ship, and only allowed seven goals in four games against the wild.. Don't forget he was the Jennings trophy winner, and appears to have his swagger back.

I thought the Teen Wolf comment was hilarious. Yes, Kaner really can't grow a beard, but he sure tries.

Overall this is going to come down to experience vs. enthusiasm, and the former usually wins out. Playoff Hockey is just different, and the Hawks have A LOT of experience at it.

This is going to be a good one, but I'm saying Hawks in six.  :)

Good luck Ducks!

Good to have you here, but you've been particularly selective in your assessment of the CHI team.

TT hasn't been some animal. He had one big goal, that was massively over-hyped. Overall, he's been good, but I wouldn't say any better than Rakell has for the Ducks. The only difference is that it's unexpected because he had such a "meh" season, whilst Rakell broke through earlier in the year. 

Sharp/Vermette/TT beats our Cogs/Rakell/Palms, but only because you have Sharp on that line. In doing so, I'd say that Bels/Kesler/Silf > Bickell/Richards/Kane. My biggest concern is playing in CHI where JQ can put Keith and Seabrook together and line matching vs. Getzlaf and Perry. Those two will shut out that line down. The rest of the D doesn't really worry me. Hjalmarsson is quality, but I wouldn't say he's any better than any of our guys. Another player that concerns me is Verms. Whilst has been pretty "meh" in a CHI uniform, his FO ability is still an asset, especially in the Ducks zone where we've struggled to get the puck out after losing the FO.

It's going to be a series of netminders if you ask me. I think CHI and ANA are pretty close in that department and it could go either way. 

This is definitely going to be a good one, but I think CHI fans aren't going to be sitting as comfortably as they think. It's certainly not "in the bag" as some of the fan base seem to be making out. Ducks in 6 or 7. 

GO DUCKS GO!!!

Naïve point of view:

Considering playoff hockey -

I do not see this version of the Hawks being better than last years - am I wrong?

I do see this version of the Ducks being much improved for the obvious reasons over our prior playoff team.

Ducks, last year, shoulda, coulda woulda against the Kings who were lets say competitive against the Hawks.

Ducks can, in fact should, do this and it will not shock the world if they so succeed.

My take.

Get ready for a sea of red at Honda Center.

Maybe we should institute the policy Tampa has.

;)

yeah, I fully expect a heavy invasion...

Possibly for Hammer. Kid seems to be increasing mistakes game-per-game. Not willing to hang him, but maybe just needs a rest and refocus.

Not a chance.  Lindholm has had some rough moments, and he may be tiring, but he's still one of the best three d-men we have on a given night.  The guy I'm worried about is Vatanen.  He's been fine, but mostly invisible on the offensive end since game 1 of the Winnipeg series.

If I were picking a non-Stoner player to replace, it would probably be Sami, but I don't think it's necessary.

Good Luck Ducks fans. I hope the Ducks are as over confident as you are. I'm a bit superstitious, so I'll keep it short. No asinine comments or predictions. The Hawks are the best team in the league down the middle. The Ducks really haven't faced anything like they have coming in the Hawks until this point.

I will make one prediction the winner wins the Cup. Now if they could make up their minds on a date let's get started.

Our guys started the playoffs great, but they have looked lethargic, out of sync, and slow the past few games.  The Black hawks are a much better team than Flames, and if we keep playing that way, we are done.  We can't just show up in the 3rd period and expect to advance. 

I hate to say it, but I think it'll be the Black hawks and Lightning in the SCF.

Our guys started the playoffs great, but they have looked lethargic, out of sync, and slow the past few games.  The Black hawks are a much better team than Flames, and if we keep playing that way, we are done.  We can't just show up in the 3rd period and expect to advance. 

I hate to say it, but I think it'll be the Black hawks and Lightning in the SCF.

Have you watched the games?  The Ducks outshot Calgary 3 billion to 20 yesterday.  Sure, they've had some lapses, but they were in complete control of that series.  It took a last minute goal resulting from a couple untimely penalties for the Flames to win a game.

The Hawks are a great team and will be a very tough test, but the Ducks are playing great hockey.  They can win the series.  I have a feeling Chicago will bring out the best in them.

Do we finally see Wiz in the lineup?

What's the over under that Gibson plays at some point...

Kidding....

My hope is that if/when Wiz sees the ice he's going to be very motivated to prove he belongs out there.  (Of course that could go the wrong way with him...we've seen him do a few dumb things in the past.)

But, I was thinking last night while watching the game that it was interesting how comfortable I was feeling no matter which D pair was out.

In the past we always seemed to have someone like Allen (not to just pick on him, since it's been a whole parade of names I won't list)...but, there was almost always one pair that would have me holding my breath for their shift.  The six that have been going out for the playoffs have been far from perfect, but each of them seems to have stepped up and be overall be the best version of themselves.  I think all of them have done an admirable job of reaching "playoff mode" and elevating their play.  If I were the coaches I'd have a very hard time sitting anyone down and messing with the chemistry and hard work those six have been showing each game.  

And, all that being said...Chicago is a different animal than we've been dealing with...more skill, more experience.  The 'far from perfect" stuff that guys could usually recover from against the Jets and Flames are a lot more likely to end up in the back of the net against the Hawks...This should be an awesome series, I just hope my stomach and my heart can handle the stress I'm expecting it to produce...

Good Luck Ducks fans. I hope the Ducks are as over confident as you are. I'm a bit superstitious, so I'll keep it short. No asinine comments or predictions. The Hawks are the best team in the league down the middle. The Ducks really haven't faced anything like they have coming in the Hawks until this point.

I will make one prediction the winner wins the Cup. Now if they could make up their minds on a date let's get started.

This is going to be tough. On paper they have the better team I think. We might have a chance if Andersen outplays crawford/darling. We need a healthy Perry and Kesler has to keep up the good play. He'll have to be even better because I really think toews can take Getzlaf out of the game.

What I do like is that we had a very easy schedule at the end of the season. It was like 4 games in 12 days or something. We beat the jets in 4 and the flames in 5. We didn't have to make one extra trip and the series against the flames wasn't that physical. Aside from Perry, I think we'll have a relatively healthy squad with a well rested Etem, Sekac and Wisniewski in the pressbox. Use them.

If we lay the body on them and play the way we did against the jets, we have a chance. That kane though. He's like gaudreau but better and I was already nervous when he had the puck. I'd like to see BB put Cogs on him. He does some amazing work on the forecheck and the backcheck. He's a speedster with good instincts. Special teams are gonna be a key factor but I think the goalies are gonna play a big part in this.

I'm sure the hawks have been studying Andersen. Wouldn't it be a surprise if BB went with Gibson? :lol:

Anyway we deserve to be in the finals. If there is one team that can hurt the hawks, it's us.

Go Ducks!!

I don't. No one can shut Getzlaf down when he's on his game. He got 8 points in 7 games vs. the kings last year, matched up against Kopitar and Doughty. They are arguably more difficult to play against than Toews and Keith, as Kopitar is also a selke guy.

This is a Ducks forum, wouldn't you expect Duck fans to support the Ducks in the series?   Nobody is predicting a sweep.  That being said, the fans that are "over confident" are the Hawk fans.  Read other sites (THN, NHL, etc.), the Hawk fans are dismissing the Ducks.  Just go and read the forums.  I actually enjoy the underdog label going forward.  Time will tell.  This isn't the same team that we saw in the regular season.

They outshot a good team facing elimination 47-19, what more can you ask for? That was another dominant performance muffled by Kari Ramo's spectacular play.

A bit of an asinine comment. Toews Richards Vermette Kruger > Getzlaf Kesler Thompson Rakell? I don't know about this one. Kesler is so much better than modern-day Richards, and the bottom 6 centers aren't that much better. Anaheim wins down the middle, Hawks win on the wings (hossa, kane, sharp). 

This is a Ducks forum, wouldn't you expect Duck fans to support the Ducks in the series?   Nobody is predicting a sweep.  That being said, the fans that are "over confident" are the Hawk fans.  Read other sites (THN, NHL, etc.), the Hawk fans are dismissing the Ducks.  Just go and read the forums.  I actually enjoy the underdog label going forward.  Time will tell.  This isn't the same team that we saw in the regular season.

I also don't think Chicago is remotely the top team in the league down the middle. They have one legitimate stud, and a bunch of meh players

Getzlaf-Kesler-Rakell-Thompson >>>> Toews-Richards-Vermette-Kruger

As are Crosby-Malkin-Sutter-Whoever the hell their 4th line is (Winnik now?)

If Wis gets a chance to play, he should replace Vat.  Vat is known for his shots and lately his shots have been underwhelming.  We could possibly use the extra oomph that Wis can bring. 

I'm also really hoping BB saw what we all saw with Palms.  The guy really needs to sit in favor of Etem or Sekac.

A bit of an asinine comment. Toews Richards Vermette Kruger > Getzlaf Kesler Thompson Rakell? I don't know about this one. Kesler is so much better than modern-day Richards, and the bottom 6 centers aren't that much better. Anaheim wins down the middle, Hawks win on the wings (hossa, kane, sharp). 

The way I see it personally

Offense is relatively equal. 

Highlights of Chicago= Toews, Kane, Saad, Hossa, Sharp

Highlights of Anaheim= Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Silvferberg, Belesky

Toews and Kane are pretty equal to Getzlaf and Perry, Kesler is equal to Sharp, Silvferberg is equal to Saad, Hossa is better than Belesky but Belesky has been having a great playoffs, Beyond the highlights I like Anaheim's depth over Chicago's

Defense slight edge Chicago

Highlights of Chicago= Keith and Seabrook (These two are the reason they have the edge), Hjalmarsson

Highlights of Ducks= Lindholm, Beauch, Fowler, Despres 

Keith and Seabrook are better than anything we have, Beyond those 2, I think it's entirely edge Ducks. But the Seabrook and Keith duo is just too great

Goaltending slight edge Anaheim

Highlights of Chicago= Corey Crawford

Highlights of Anaheim= Freddie Anderson

Yes Crawford is a Stanley Cup champion, yes I think you could have put a orange traffic cone in net and Chicago would still have won that cup. Crawford has been subpar most of the playoffs, and really only wasn't awful against an anemic Minnesota offense. I think the Ducks will be able to expose him. If Andersen has his weak goals (Shortside for example) then this edge could go back to Chicago quickly

Coaching Edge Chicago

Do I even need to explain this one? Boudreau is a great players coach, he's an awful matchup coach, especially against smarter coaches than he (For instance being badly BADLY outcoached by Babcock 2 years ago), Coach Q is in the elite group of coaches that carries the same success in the playoffs and regular season. 

That said,  I think this series might be the closest of the playoffs. All depends which team shows up for each team. It's absolutely not decided in any facet at this point imo. My heart says Ducks in 6, My gut says Hawks in 7

If Wis gets a chance to play, he should replace Vat.  Vat is known for his shots and lately his shots have been underwhelming.  We could possibly use the extra oomph that Wis can bring. 

I'm also really hoping BB saw what we all saw with Palms.  The guy really needs to sit in favor of Etem or Sekac.

I'm hoping it's for Jackman, yes I love Jackman, but he's not needed this series, Yeah Chicago has Shaw, Carcillo and Bickell but if we have Wiz, and Stoner in the lineup, as well as Maroon on the front end, I don't think we'll need the token enforcer as much as we do against a team with Ferland, Engelland or Byfuglien. 

I'm hoping it's for Jackman, yes I love Jackman, but he's not needed this series, Yeah Chicago has Shaw, Carcillo and Bickell but if we have Wiz, and Stoner in the lineup, as well as Maroon on the front end, I don't think we'll need the token enforcer as much as we do against a team with Ferland, Engelland or Byfuglien. 

I'm ok with swapping Jackman out, but Palms is just killing it for me.  He's killing it for his linemates because plays die on his stick.  Not to mention he falls onto the ice more than Bobby Ryan.

I'm ok with swapping Jackman out, but Palms is just killing it for me.  He's killing it for his linemates because plays die on his stick.  Not to mention he falls onto the ice more than Bobby Ryan.

He definitely has, but against a team like Chicago I'd prefer the glimmer of a chance that Palms will find his scoring touch, over the snowball in hell that Jackman does ;)

Thanks for your input. If you'd actually watched a Ducks playoff game this year, you'd know that you're talking total crap, but whatever. When will these fake fans learn?

Naïve point of view:

I do not see this version of the Hawks being better than last years - am I wrong?

I do see this version of the Ducks being much improved for the obvious reasons over our prior playoff team.

Ducks, last year, shoulda, coulda woulda against the Kings who were lets say competitive against the Hawks.

Ducks can, in fact should, do this and it will not shock the world if they so succeed.

My take.

Now this guy, I've gotta a lot of time for. 

Have you watched the games?  The Ducks outshot Calgary 3 billion to 20 yesterday.  Sure, they've had some lapses, but they were in complete control of that series.  It took a last minute goal resulting from a couple untimely penalties for the Flames to win a game.

The Hawks are a great team and will be a very tough test, but the Ducks are playing great hockey.  They can win the series.  I have a feeling Chicago will bring out the best in them.

They outshot a good team facing elimination 47-19, what more can you ask for? That was another dominant performance muffled by Kari Ramo's spectacular play.

B...B...B....B...But.... Mr TV man said that the Hawks are going to win. It must be true, right? 

I'm worried about guys like Hossa and Sharp. Those guys always put up numbers against us.

That being said, this series is going to be a war. I can't wait.

Jackman is a feel good story that gets often overlooked.  The guy played hundreds of games and this is his first year ever playing in the playoffs.  He was not a liability, and whether he contributed directly to the scoresheet is obvious.  His indirect contribution was his on ice presence as the tough guy, that's some intangibles that's hard to quantify.  I'm sure BB was hoping to see a goal come from him and that would've made the locker room so joyous.  However, now that we are in the next round, I think Jackman will need to sit unfortunately.

Palms is obvious.

What happens if BB puts in Sekac and Etem again and we lose?  People will be all over BB again for shuffling his lines.

Overall, I think this is a weaker BH team than last year, but it would be foolish to underestimate them.  We of course are better than last year in terms of team play as well as our coaching.  As many have already said, the winner of this series is bound to be the SC champs this year.

And Ducks fans, buy your tickets for home games!

Pulling for Quenneville to have Keith and Seabrook split up with Hjalmarsson and Oduya to compensate for that bottom pairing. Still trying to decide whether Rundblad isn't an upgrade over Roszival. Have to think he's at least got more speed... Anyone care to enlighten me? Hoping that their top 4 will be even more gassed than Calgary's were last round... Heh heh.

As has been said before, the bottom 6 matchups could dictate this series. Third line could give us fits, Sharp is dangerous, here's hoping he's involved in some more adultery scandals to throw his game off. Vermette and TT are wild cards, gotta think some Cogs level hounding/pressure could cause some trouble for those two. Looking forward to seeing Cherry try to pronounce TT's name.

I think Kruger is quietly one of the best 4th line centres in the league. Shaw is relentless and brings so much energy to the table. Desjardins I'm not as familiar with, but he seems capable of peskiness from what I have seen. Gonna take a lot to contain those guys.

Edit: and for the love of God, why is the Ducks Second Period Thing™ happening in the FIRST now??! STAAHHHHHPPPPPP

Naïve point of view:

My take.

Both teams took LA the distance last season and lost.

Anaheim is absolutely a better playoff team this year than last. Can we say the same thing about Chicago? I don't think so...

The BOLD.

The Blackhawks are NOT the strongest team down the middle - period.

They're not even as strong as Anaheim and I don't think the Ducks could call themselves the best in the league. Vis-a-vis, Getzlaf and Toews are a wash, Kesler is the third best pivot between both teams and a big step up from Richards (a very big step up), while Rakell and Thompson are every bit as good as any third and fourth line pair of centers Chicago can ice. EDGE ANAHEIM and it really shouldn't be a discussion.

Chicago hasn't faced anything like Anaheim either...  they squeaked by Nashville squad that came into the playoffs ice cold (losers of 6 straight to enter the playoffs and had only 6 wins since mid February) and minus their best player for most of the series, and then rolled a Wild team that completely lost it's mojo. Anaheim was 20 second away from a clean sweep of two playoff rounds of past two teams who entered the playoffs playing their best hockey of the season - you forget it was Calgary and Winnipeg's strong play down the stretch that kept the filthy Kings out of the playoffs.

No over confidence here... Chicago is just as deep as Anaheim and has the edge at wing, more playoff experience, and Duncan Keith who Anaheim really has no answer for. Should be a tough series, but note this: Chicago is NOT stronger down the middle. That's comical.

This is the response I like to see. Some great points, but you're not signing the guys off to failure like some of those "fans" (and I use the word very loosely) on here. I think the D match-up is overstated. IMO, Keith is the only player that they have who is significantly better than anything else we have. The only pairing I'd be particularly concerned with is Keith-Seabrook. Hjalmarsson is a great player, but he and Oduya aren't anywhere near as dominant as they have been in years past. As far as top 6, we get destroyed on paper, but, in terms of actual play, we've been doing better. 

IMO, this one comes down to how good Andersen can be. He's going to have to be special. Someone commented on the NHL.com website saying that Andersen (+ the D) needs to restrict CHI to an average of 2 goals a game for us to win this series and I very much agree.

This is going to be the toughest series we play all playoffs, but if we can take the eventual SC champions to game 7 (a team that had to go through CHI to get there), then I can't see why a better Ducks team can't beat CHI. I say Ducks in 6 or 7. 

I know I've disagreed with you on your labeling of "fake fans" in the past myt, but it's actually really starting to irk me how often our own fans are willing to write the team off.  I find myself starting to second guess whether they were actually conference champions. (honestly can someone confirm this?)  Seriously, would it kill you guys to have a little faith?  No one is saying the Hawks are a bad team... they're really good.  It's gonna be a huge challenge.  But if you don't believe your team can win... I dunno, why watch in the first place?  It doesn't quite add up to me.  Why bother making predictions against the Ducks, as a Ducks fan, on a Ducks message board?  It's just disheartening to see.  Are there any other top-tier pro sports teams whose fanbases are as OK with losing as we are?

I'm going to chalk this up to the growing pains of a young franchise still making their way out from under a collective inferiority complex imposed by the league's "serious" teams, because I know you guys are all great people.  But stop THINKING so much and just BELIEEEEEEEVE!!!!  It's sports for crying out loud!!!