The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ZTHER

Anaheim V Chicago Non-Game Day Thread

I really think it was his thigh that took the brunt of that hit and his knee hyper extending just a bit...

I said in the game day thread I think we'd see him back (dead leg) simply based on the fact that he struggled to get off the ice vs just laying there. And lets be real here, Perry isn't below embellishing a bit. Cat doesn't dive, but he'll play up anything he feels he can get away with...

When he was in the dressing room, I was thinking......OK, pk Part 2, he comes back and fires a slapshot from the blueline to win the game.  Alas, it was a scramble and an ugly goal in front of the net, so I'm not sure it will be the highlight real goal the "off the floor, on the board...." goal was for the then Mighty Ducks.

I think the point here is if you're gonna make a prediction against the team you cheer for, maybe consider keeping it to yourself. It's weird to see fans writing the team off on their own board. The thing with analysis is you can use it to support one side or another, and let's face it, the only thing we KNOW about how this series is gonna go is that one team is going to win, so you could argue a lot of it does come down to where you choose to place your belief.

The real fan/fake fan thing might be a bit of a moot point tho. Sports is religion, we're all fanatics.

I prefer to live in a world where we don't simply bury our heads in the sand and ignore hearing commentary that we don't necessarily want to hear. This board would be pretty boring if it was like a high school pep rally all the time. I prefer open and honest discussion.

Yeah thats a good point Cool, to me this is the first year in a while where the East is actually has a cup contender(s).

But Im not even going to think about that as the Hawks are the next thing blocking the road.

All I know is that I hope the series starts sooner rather than later (once everyones bumps and bruises have a couple of days to heal) because the anticipation is going to kill me!

GO DUCKS

Dont know much about the Ducks except they had 109 pts, which is pretty darn good excepting I'm pretty sure the Ducks padded their point total with wins against San Jose, Edmonton, and Arizona. The Pacific is much softer than the Central, clearly. I seem to recall that the Ducks have younger, i.e., inexperienced D-men. If that is the case Kaner will make them look silly. Don't get me wrong I think it's very possible that the Ducks can beat the Hawks but I don't think it's likely. The biggest mismatch is Coach Q vs. Boudreau but, of course, neither one of them will be skating. GO HAWKS!

They didn't pad their wins with wins against the Pacific. The Ducks had a higher winning percentage against the Central and actually had more wins against the Central Division than Chicago did. 

I really think it was his thigh that took the brunt of that hit and his knee hyper extending just a bit...

I said in the game day thread I think we'd see him back (dead leg) simply based on the fact that he struggled to get off the ice vs just laying there. And lets be real here, Perry isn't below embellishing a bit. Cat doesn't dive, but he'll play up anything he feels he can get away with...

Thanks Z and yeah totally agree on CP, he definitely wants to be sure the officials are aware of what happened.  He looked a little tentative to me in the third, maybe just nervous to take another solid one on that thigh/hip/knee, but damn he looked good in OT.

Here's hoping he and the rest of the boys are all good for the next series (and beyond...)

GO DUCKS!

I just read that Ovie is guaranteeing a Caps victory in Game 7.  He also said that he is looking forward to matching up with either Montreal or Tampa Bay in the next round.

What a tool!  Not something you would expect from a team which just blew a 3-1 series lead, and now must go into MSG for Game 7, which the Rangers have won their last 5 Game 7's.

I wonder if he'll give part of his salary back if the Caps fail to reach the Conference Finals again.  I doubt it, probably just more excuses as to why his team still can't get past the 2nd round in playoffs ever since he's been there.

Cory Perry was quoted as saying forechecking is the key.  Well, Annaheim better finish their checks.  Just ask St Louis.  Chicago has managed to outskate and outscore those guys and they were better forechecking team than the Annaheim. 

You won't have to worry about them finishing their checks. Anaheim has no issue throwing the body. Just ask Winnipeg on that one. 

I just read that Ovie is guaranteeing a Caps victory in Game 7.  He also said that he is looking forward to matching up with either Montreal or Tampa Bay in the next round.

What a tool!  Not something you would expect from a team which just blew a 3-1 series lead, and now must go into MSG for Game 7, which the Rangers have won their last 5 Game 7's.

I wonder if he'll give part of his salary back if the Caps fail to reach the Conference Finals again.  I doubt it, probably just more excuses as to why his team still can't get past the 2nd round in playoffs ever since he's been there.

I love his confidence. It's what the Caps need, he's their leader and he has to have the confidence otherwise his team won't.

Washington played great and imo has the momentum going back into NY. 

Yeah thats a good point Cool, to me this is the first year in a while where the East is actually has a cup contender(s).

But Im not even going to think about that as the Hawks are the next thing blocking the road.

All I know is that I hope the series starts sooner rather than later (once everyones bumps and bruises have a couple of days to heal) because the anticipation is going to kill me!

GO DUCKS

You going to try and attend Game 3 or 4 back there?

I prefer to live in a world where we don't simply bury our heads in the sand and ignore hearing commentary that we don't necessarily want to hear. This board would be pretty boring if it was like a high school pep rally all the time. I prefer open and honest discussion.

Fair point, but I think good discourse can still be had without resigning the team to a loss in six. Pretty definitive statement, and I just don't understand what you have to gain emotionally by being right about it I guess.

I for one will be invading United Center in orange and depending on when the games are, will be displacing an annoying red clad Hawks fan in Honda Center as well for at least some of them.

CDF... I'll be in Downer's Grove Thursday evening (Land ORD 736p).  If Game 1 happens to be that night, is there a Duck-Friendly bar anywhere???

I love his confidence. It's what the Caps need, he's their leader and he has to have the confidence otherwise his team won't.

Washington played great and imo has the momentum going back into NY. 

Momentum is overrated, and Anything can happen in a Game 7.  They outplayed the Rangers down the stretch in Gm 6, but that was after they had dug themselves a 4-1 hole at home!  How can you have momentum when you lost your last 2 games?  Seems to me if anyone has momentum, it's the Rangers, who were left for done after Game 4.  Why the Caps would want to poke the bear, a bear which won the President's Trophy and lost in the Cup Finals last year, is beyond me.

Confidence is one thing, cockiness and arrogance is another.  I cannot imagine you hearing Getz, Perry or Kesler making statements like that.  Even when they were up 3 games to 1 against Calgary, they did not discount them or promise victory.

Either he will be right and they beat the Rangers, or he'll have egg all over his face, and be ready with excuses and perhaps blame as to why they lost.  One play can change a whole series, but one play can almost certainly change the result of a Game 7.  Ovie is a moron for promising something which is not just in doubt, but completely uncertain.

That doesn't make much sense as a difference maker. You do know that Anaheim has home ice advantage right?

If you see Chicago cancelling out those weaknesses at home AND winning in six games, that's only THREE wins (Games 3,4, and 6). They don't get a 4th game in Chicago and Anaheim isn't entering this series ice cold without their best player like Nashville did (losers of 6 straight and only 6 wins total since February).

You want last change and match-ups?

Consider this: Anaheim hasn't lost a home game in the playoffs this year, outscoring opponents 19-6 in the playoffs at the Honda Center. Anaheim also has the second best record in the conference at home this year, the very best when the playoffs are figured in... that's great that you think JQ has a edge at home, but that's not going to put them over the top unless they win on the road as well.

That all said, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. The math there doesn't work.

My point is Chicago won both games at Minny because Yo couldn't take advantage of the last change. Boudreau isn't known to be a master and the Hawks can steal one in Anaheim. If they don't they lose the series. That was my point. 

Dont know much about the Ducks except they had 109 pts, which is pretty darn good excepting I'm pretty sure the Ducks padded their point total with wins against San Jose, Edmonton, and Arizona. The Pacific is much softer than the Central, clearly. I seem to recall that the Ducks have younger, i.e., inexperienced D-men. If that is the case Kaner will make them look silly. Don't get me wrong I think it's very possible that the Ducks can beat the Hawks but I don't think it's likely. The biggest mismatch is Coach Q vs. Boudreau but, of course, neither one of them will be skating. GO HAWKS!

I suggest you do some research before posting incorrect info. (e.g. San Jose)

Posting like a cocky bandwagoner on your first post doesn't lend itself to staying here long.

Kind of a passive aggressive dig but sure OK, you don't know much about the Ducks I'll set you straight. You're right, the Central was the tougher division, but you got it backwards in terms of who benefited.

Anaheim dominated the Central going 16-5-0 vs the "tougher division". They were 18-6-5 vs the Pacific.

Chicago went 15-14-0 vs the Central and actually padded it's record vs the Pacific where they went 13-5-3.

Anaheim had the best record in hockey v. the West going 30-16-4.

Anaheim rolls three strong defensive pairings. What they lack in star power, they make up in defensive depth. 

My point is Chicago won both games at Minny because Yo couldn't take advantage of the last change. Boudreau isn't known to be a master and the Hawks can steal one in Anaheim. If they don't they lose the series. That was my point. 

Yeo not Yo.

Chicago won all the games because Minnesota failed to execute in the offensive end. Chicago totally has their number. They scored 7 goals in 4 games. That's not going to win anything.

Fair point, but I think good discourse can still be had without resigning the team to a loss in six. Pretty definitive statement, and I just don't understand what you have to gain emotionally by being right about it I guess.

There's really no difference (at least in the way I'm intending it) in saying "I think the Hawks are just a touch better in more categories than the Ducks" and "Hawks in 6." Should the Ducks lose each statement leads to, "Bummer, Hawks are the better team." Some people feel that a prediction is somehow different, but in the way I'm intending it it's just using different language. It has nothing to do with being right or wrong or somehow lessening the emotional impact. It's basically just making a prediction for the sake of doing it. Again, since I don't think there's much difference between the two statements above why not attach a number to it just because? We've already went over that prediction =/= team support.

Kind of a passive aggressive dig but sure OK, you don't know much about the Ducks I'll set you straight. You're right, the Central was the tougher division, but you got it backwards in terms of who benefited.

Anaheim dominated the Central going 16-5-0 vs the "tougher division". They were 18-6-5 vs the Pacific.

Chicago went 15-14-0 vs the Central and actually padded it's record vs the Pacific where they went 13-5-3.

Anaheim had the best record in hockey v. the West going 30-16-4.

Anaheim rolls three strong defensive pairings. What they lack in star power, they make up in defensive depth.

Bury 'em with facts. Love it!

There's really no difference (at least in the way I'm intending it) in saying "I think the Hawks are just a touch better in more categories than the Ducks" and "Hawks in 6." Should the Ducks lose each statement leads to, "Bummer, Hawks are the better team." Some people feel that a prediction is somehow different, but in the way I'm intending it it's just using different language. It has nothing to do with being right or wrong or somehow lessening the emotional impact.

Ok I getcha. My only qualm is that when I read "the Hawks are a touch better in more categories", I can at least add a 'but' to the end of it. Can't really do that with a simple "Hawks in 6", thus it reads as a more defeatist statement to me. If that wasn't your intention though, it's just a misunderstanding on my part. Either way, no harm, no Fowler :)

Ok I getcha. My only qualm is that when I read "the Hawks are a touch better in more categories", I can at least add a 'but' to the end of it. Can't really do that with a simple "Hawks in 6", thus it reads as a more defeatist statement to me. If that wasn't your intention though, it's just a misunderstanding on my part. Either way, no harm, no Fowler :)

You replied before I got my edit in, but yeah basically:

It's basically just making a prediction for the sake of doing it. Again, since I don't think there's much difference between the two statements above why not attach a number to it just because? We've already went over that prediction =/= team support so it has nothing to do with that. I mean I can say, " I think Hawks in 6, but... The ducks could just as easily...." People just get fixated on the number I guess.

You replied before I got my edit in, but yeah basically:

It's basically just making a prediction for the sake of doing it. Again, since I don't think there's much difference between the two statements above why not attach a number to it just because? We've already went over that prediction =/= team support so it has nothing to do with that.

Alright I didn't wanna get drawn back in but... If you're making a prediction just for the sake of making a prediction... Why not just pick the Ducks??

Hawks fan here.  You guys do look hungry and thats important. But Chicago has more players who can finish in big games.  They have proven that year after year.  Many people talk about Toews and Kane.  But its actually Hossa and his relentless back checking that dictates our team.  And Keith?  Yes he is a great player but lately his mind is more offensive minded.  I personally thinking Hjalmason is the best defender for the Hawks and most under-rated defender in NHL. 

I agree on Hossa, he is criminally overlooked in weighing the matchup. When he's not trying to draw calls by going down with every gentle breeze...  ;) ... he can be a real bull with the puck and I could see him overpowering many of our young defenders and burning them (and Freddy) with his elite skill. He averages about a ppg against the Ducks over his career, and he's the one guy I don't feel we have a great answer for. 

Having a guy like Sharp on the 3rd line is worrisome as well, we have good depth role players that can all chip in, but none are legit scoring threats comparable to the likes of Sharp. Palmieri could be that guy if he were to get his game back on track, and maybe being in a less physical series will help him, so while many are calling for him to sit I could see him being a real issue for the Hawks in a 4th line role if he can find his groove.

This is what the series comes down to for me, Chicago spreads out their scoring to improve their depth immensely, and Anaheim has the horses to matchup fairly well, but push come to shove if Chicago is down a goal late in a game they can shorten their bench and roll a couple loaded lines with Toews/Kane/Hossa/Sharp/Richars/Saad... while the Ducks don't have the ability to load up in the same manner. 

That said, we have a level of physicality that is built into our forechecking game, and with the size/physicality we aren't lacking in speed or skill. The Ducks can play end-to-end or cycle and grind with the best of them. The Hawks absolutely have their hands full. I also think people are overlooking the real threat that our blueline offers which is for all three pairings to jump in on the play and create quick counter-attacks. 

One unknown right now is Perry. He seems to have survived what looked like a season-ending injury last night, but if he suffers any lingering effects and it takes his play down a notch (as we saw from him for the final couple months of the reg season), it could have a major impact on the series. But assuming he's OK...

Ducks in 7 for me.

Wait, you can't beat the Coyotes?

Do you want to talk hockey, or be a troll? two posts on a foreign board causing problems isn't a good start.

Alright I didn't wanna get drawn back in but... If you're making a prediction just for the sake of making a prediction... Why not just pick the Ducks??

Because what would be the point in that? At least with attaching a number to the statement, "I think the Hawks are better in more categories than the Ducks" I'm staying true to my analysis/logic.

Wait, you can't beat the Coyotes?

We went 3-0-2 against the Coyotes.

I do notice that you guys went 2-3 against Colorado.  Yikes.

We went 3-0-2 against the Coyotes.

I do notice that you guys went 2-3 against Colorado.  Yikes.

1-1 in regulation against Edmonton too. Yowza

Lets face the facts.  LA has had Annaheim's numbers for years.  And frankly if LA was in the playoff against Annaheim, my money would still be in LA.Getzlaf and Perry, yes they are great players but how many Conference Finals and Stanley Cup did they play in. Beating Winnipeg and Calgary is a good feat.  I don't doubt you guys have great team.  But can they win the big games like the Chicago has done.  

Dude, learn how to spell Anaheim and check your grammar before you post here.

LA has had Anaheim's number? , well we've beat them in the regular season the last two years in overall matchup's, and we went to a game 7 in our only playoff match.  Get your facts straight while your at it too.

You don't have any credibility here so far.  What does LA have anything to do with the Ducks/Blackhawks match up anyways?  It's irrelevant.