The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

norge25

Summer Rfa / Ufa Signings Watch

Abandon all goalies? :huh: What's the story on Bobkov? Did he actually bust? He always gets really good in NHL 14 (after I trade him without fail)... Sad to see LeBlanc go too, although I guess he's what, almost 25? Still better than Sarault probably...

I had a lot of hope for Langanier....right before i had a lot of hope for Heatley...

Sad thing was Heater actually looked good in last year's camp before the season started. Got injured and the wheels fell off.

Looks like Murray is doing his summer housekeeping now. Shedding some dead weight from the former Ads team, and re-stocking for a brighter Gulls team. He'll have some holes to fill, particularly down the middle and in net, give or take Gibson. But I'm sure we'll see some undrafted guys and FA's invited to camp. 

Nathan Noel is one in particular that'll be there and might be decent, he's a center that fell through the draft and will get a look by the Ducks. He was ranked 55th among NA skaters according to NHL.com's pre-draft rankings, and overall he seemed to be a 3rd or 4th round projection by multiple sources. 5'11 ~175 lbs. Here's a scouting report:

A hard-working offensive forward that seems to compliment his linemates, whoever they may be. Good hockey sense and creativity in the offensive end. Very good puck possession skills; good hands to stay slippery, and a non-stopping motor that bodes nicely with his skating agility. Keen awareness on the ice lets him slip into good scoring positions where he can either pass the puck or tap home a goal. All-in-all, a guy who has a high level of skill and can be relied upon in situations where you need to strike quickly or run down the clock with a lead. 

Hopefully we see a goalie invite or two as well.

Also, nice to see Murray qualified Sgarbossa, I wasn't sure if he would but we're kinda desperate down the middle. Hopefully the kid has another level to find.

Is anyone going to watch the FA frenzy this year? I probably will out of interest, but not sure what to think as a Duck fan. Does everyone think BM was serious about waiting until July 5-6 before making a move?

Tha is BM's MO -waits for the feeding frenzy - then sits back and evaluates the situation - and THEN he pounces - and usually gets a good player to fit in with what we need

Tha is BM's MO -waits for the feeding frenzy - then sits back and evaluates the situation - and THEN he pounces - and usually gets a good player to fit in with what we need

I'm trying to remember the last time we got a good player in free agency.

Winnik. Koivu.... Anyone else in the last 5-6 years?

Souray was OK before he got hurt... Lydman.

Probably a good thing we dont remember too many. It means the Ducks build winners through the draft, and thats the recipe for success in today's NHL. Lydman and Koivu are the only two in recent memory that were real successes.

Teemu, Teemu, Teemu and Teemu.

Probably a good thing we dont remember too many. It means the Ducks build winners through the draft, and thats the recipe for success in today's NHL. Lydman and Koivu are the only two in recent memory that were real successes.

Selanne and Niedermayer were the two best UFA signings of the decade...

Clayton Stoner and Danny Heatley, duh!

As far as free agency, assuming Bob doesn't leave a couple openings for some young guys to battle for roster spots, would anyone object to signing Johnny Oduya and Justin Williams? Talk about two guys who know what it takes to win, theres are five cups between the two of them. I would have to think that Williams wouldn't demand a high dollar, but might require a longer term than Murray would hope for. Both players have fuel left in the tank, would fill holes that we currently have in the starting lineup, only question is, are they two guys that are worth overpaying for?

I think Oduya would be an OK addition, though I don't see what he would bring that Wiz or Beauch wouldn't have. I also don't like that he'll be coming off a VERY short summer after being used like a rented mule through the playoffs. How much gas does he really have in the tank heading into this season, and just how hungry would he be to help bring the Ducks to their 2nd Cup? 

@icemancometh: Nothing done between Ducks and UFA Francois Beauchemin but agent said they talked yesterday and are expected to do so again today.

Selanne and Niedermayer were the two best UFA signings of the decade...

Thank you, Burke!!!

10 years ago this summer! Bob, your move....

I like Beauch, I really do... but I think this time around its best for business to move along without him.

He's one of the three Cup winners on our team. We desperately need some Cup experience. We should definitely keep him around.

Stafford re-signs in Winnipeg. 2yrs at $4.35M/season.

The market rate for mid-range top-9 wingers is scary high these days.

Stafford re-signs in Winnipeg. 2yrs at $4.35M/season.

The market rate for mid-range top-9 wingers is scary high these days.

Yuck.

I'm hoping some of that is because of the way he played in Winnipeg ( looked like the Stafford of 2-3 years ago), and some of that is because it's Winnipeg.

Nobody wants to play in Winnipeg.

Clayton Stoner and Danny Heatley, duh!

As far as free agency, assuming Bob doesn't leave a couple openings for some young guys to battle for roster spots, would anyone object to signing Johnny Oduya and Justin Williams? Talk about two guys who know what it takes to win, theres are five cups between the two of them. I would have to think that Williams wouldn't demand a high dollar, but might require a longer term than Murray would hope for. Both players have fuel left in the tank, would fill holes that we currently have in the starting lineup, only question is, are they two guys that are worth overpaying for?

Stoner has worked out fine.  He will be more important with Lucic next door.  I'll bet he's already studying him.  Heatley was a bust.  If you sign Oduya, who do you move out of the D-corps.  Trade bait?  Justin Williams is a good option at the right price shorter term.

Thank you, Burke!!!

10 years ago this summer! Bob, your move....

He delivered the cup, but saddled the club with a whole load of cap problems which set the team way back for a couple of years.  For additional information, see Toronto.

He delivered the cup, but saddled the club with a whole load of cap problems which set the team way back for a couple of years.  For additional information, see Toronto.

Honestly, Burke screwed up after we won the cup. He should've never given Bertuzzi and Schnieder those two huge deals at the time. Otherwise the Ducks would've been just fine.  The wishy-washyness of Teemu and Neids didn't help the situation at all either.

But yea, it wasn't winning the cup that screwed us, it was Burke trying maintain that success by handing out inflated contracts instead of taking a slight step back afterwards to reload.

Oh and the awful Jiggy contract. That one hurt for a long time.

I cant say im interested in any one particular player or holding my breath as Free Agency opens at 11 am tomorrow (my time).

I trust in BM with the utmost comfort and I don't worry too much about him making some bonehead signing, I think for the most part he always makes good calculated risks and signings and has a good understanding about how to maintain a winning pedigree without costing the whole team in return.

However, im interested in Williams and Vermette (although not likely)...

Eriksson and Okposo via trade...

Hodgson, Stalberg, Richards are intriguing... if the term and money dictate its a prove it deal, having Heatley flashbacks though.

Mike Green im 50/50 on...I could warm up to that idea aswell.

Believe in BM!!!

Thoughts?

15th, 45th and 52nd. That is cheap. Hamilton hasn't produced the goods yet, but he's still very, very young. CGYs back-line is insane and set for a long time. 

Never thought much of Dougie, sorry.