The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

norge25

Summer Rfa / Ufa Signings Watch

Hahaha where Ducks go to die :(

Edit: Still, a better pickup for them than Oduya woulda been IMO.

With all due respect, have you been watching Bieksa the last few years? Don't take my word for it, look at what Canucks fans are saying about him, even prior to them adding Sbisa. He is well-loved as a fan favorite and team leader, but his on ice struggles are well known.

I think people have short memories with Beauchemin, he might have had a tough Chicago series, but is everyone forgetting what a rock he was for us all season long? He and Hampus were a great pair, our best pair, for the entire season and most of the playoffs. And that's not because Beauch was carried by Hampus, he was solid in his own right against the NHL's best competition every night. When's the last time anyone could say that of Bieksa? 2011?

Look, maybe Bieksa steps up and holds his own if Hampus can carry a little more of the load, but let's not get carried away with expectations, and let's not sell Frankie short here.

I'm with you, AD. I was actually one of the few hoping we would trade for Bieksa long before this was announced, but to think this is anything more than a lateral move from Beauchemin is not being realistic about who Bieksa is now. He's 34 and is coming off a terrible season, while Beauchemin is 35 and is coming off a really awesome season and three friggen bad games in the conference finals against the eventual champs. IMO, Bieksa is a downgrade from Beauchemin. It's a necessary move since apparently Beauchemin and BM couldn't come to a deal (and Beauch is now an Av apparently), but we are a little bit worse now with Bieksa in for Beauchemin. I'm not happy about the 2yr extension either. At 34 y/o, you don't get the benefit of the doubt when you have a really bad season. More often than not it's a sign that you are on the decline.

Two years he's struggled. Two. Let's not exaggerate his struggles here. Everyone sucked on Vancouver under Torts and anyone would suck playing with Sbisa We've seen this first hand no?

So he was good under Torts? He struggled, and you're putting his play on Sbisa and Torts? lol

Look, he has declined with age, he's not the same guy from 3-4 years ago. That's not just because of external factors, just as with Beauch and other d-men who play a hard game around that age, they start to lose a half-step. Frankie has, and Bieksa has. Why is that so tough to believe? Just watching any recent game with him confirms it. He's not washed up by any stretch, but he's not exactly a guy you should be leaning on for top-4 minutes or impact physical play anymore. He's a good #5-6 guy.

His heart and compete levels are off the charts though, just like Kesler, I expect Bieksa to give us everything he's got every night. I'm not mad at that, and he'll get every chance to prove where he fits on the roster. Let's just wait and see how he looks in a Ducks sweater, shall we?

I'm with you, AD. I was actually one of the few hoping we would trade for Bieksa long before this was announced, but to think this is anything more than a lateral move from Beauchemin is not being realistic about who Bieksa is now. He's 34 and is coming off a terrible season, while Beauchemin is 35 and is coming off a really awesome season and three friggen bad games in the conference finals against the eventual champs. IMO, Bieksa is a downgrade from Beauchemin. It's a necessary move since apparently Beauchemin and BM couldn't come to a deal (and Beauch is now an Av apparently), but we are a little bit worse now with Bieksa in for Beauchemin. I'm not happy about the 2yr extension either. At 34 y/o, you don't get the benefit of the doubt when you have a really bad season. More often than not it's a sign that you are on the decline.

My feelings exactly. I'm not trying to crap on Murray or Bieksa here. Murray did what he could given the circumstances, and Bieksa is a fine guy to bring in with Beauch gone. I'm just calling the on-ice play as I see it. And if we were to dump Stoner down the road, slide KB to the 3rd pair, and find/promote another top-4 guy, we'd be rockin' and rollin'.

So he was good under Torts? He struggled, and you're putting his play on Sbisa and Torts? lol

Look, he has declined with age, he's not the same guy from 3-4 years ago. That's not just because of external factors, just as with Beauch and other d-men who play a hard game around that age, they start to lose a half-step. Frankie has, and Bieksa has. Why is that so tough to believe? Just watching any recent game with him confirms it. He's not washed up by any stretch, but he's not exactly a guy you should be leaning on for top-4 minutes or impact physical play anymore. He's a good #5-6 guy.

His heart and compete levels are off the charts though, just like Kesler, I expect Bieksa to give us everything he's got every night. I'm not mad at that, and he'll get every chance to prove where he fits on the roster. Let's just wait and see how he looks in a Ducks sweater, shall we?

I think you're both overreacting about the trade. It's a downgrade, but improvements in this team's blue-line were always going to stem from the development of our youth. We've all been saying, Beauchemin in a lesser role would be great. Why is Bieksa in a lesser role suddenly a big issue? 

I think liquid has a point that Bieksa will be better in ANA than he has been in VAN. The Kesler trade has proven that to me, but I'm still keen on Bieksa playing bottom pairing minutes with Vatanen making the jump into the top 4.

. It's a downgrade, but improvements in this team's blue-line were always going to stem from the development of our youth. We've all been saying, Beauchemin in a lesser role would be great. Why is Bieksa in a lesser role suddenly a big issue? 

I think liquid has a point that Bieksa will be better in ANA than he has been in VAN. The Kesler trade has proven that to me, but I'm still keen on Bieksa playing bottom pairing minutes with Vatanen making the jump into the top 4.

Stoner-Bieksa... err, no thanks. 

You go Oil. Hit the Kings where it hurts again.

I hope they sign Sekera, just to keep him out of LA. I'm also not convinced he'll be that good as the main guy in EDM.

Stoner-Bieksa... err, no thanks.

Not happening, but at least they'd be LH-RH :) Bieksa still gives us the flexibility to do that minute-spreading thing we have the luxury of using. Top 4, schmop schmore

Help knock LA out of the playoffs and now sign Sekera. EDM moving up in the world.

They were doing so well until they won the draft. Now, I still can't stand them or their fan base. 

I think you're both overreacting about the trade. It's a downgrade, but improvements in this team's blue-line were always going to stem from the development of our youth. We've all been saying, Beauchemin in a lesser role would be great. Why is Bieksa in a lesser role suddenly a big issue? 

It's not overreacting. It's just being realistic about who Bieksa now is. I get that he's the shiny new toy and Beauchemin has incurred the wrath of the mob, but at some point we need to be realistic about what the swap is. 

btw, I would have done 3yrs at $4.5/season to keep Beauchemin. We've now got Bieksa at 3yrs at ~$4M/season. Beauchemin>Bieksa

Good luck in Colorado, Frankie! 

Nashville officially earns the "Trashville" nickname again for re-signing Ribeiro. That guy is scum.

Nashville officially earns the "Trashville" nickname again for re-signing Ribeiro. That guy is scum.

I take it you also read that article describing in too much detail what he's accused of having done?

It's not overreacting. It's just being realistic about who Bieksa now is. I get that he's the shiny new toy and Beauchemin has incurred the wrath of the mob, but at some point we need to be realistic about what the swap is. 

btw, I would have done 3yrs at $4.5/season to keep Beauchemin. We've now got Bieksa at 3yrs at ~$4M/season. Beauchemin>Bieksa

Good luck in Colorado, Frankie! 

Beauch $13.5 million over three years, Bieksa $10.5 million over 3 years. I think Murray made the right decision. 

Pierre LeBrun – ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Believe the San Jose Sharks are very much the front-runners to land Paul Martin, getting close I think. He was their No. 1 UFA target

Decent pickup if it goes. Sharks sure are weird

Stoner-Beauchemin = better? :/

Huh? When was that the plan. It went like this:

Plan A--  major upgrade. Not happening.

Plan B--  Fowler-Des, Hamper-Wiz, Beauch-Vats

(Then Wiz was traded, so...)

Plan C-- Fowler-Des, Hamper-Beauch, Stoner-Vats (not an improvement, and FB23 was ideal in a reduced role, but what else could we hope for at this point given Murray's moves and the options?)

So now we have KB, and that's not the worst option but he's no better than FB23, I would argue a slight step down. And just as I wouldn't want Stoner-Beauch, I wouldn't want Stoner-Bieksa.

Paul Martin to the Sharks.

I hope we get Williams or Ward.

Ward would be pretty boss, he's a guy that steps up and can be pretty clutch. I like it.

Williams is a no-brainer. Still hoping we add a top six winger.

Beauch $13.5 million over three years, Bieksa $10.5 million over 3 years. I think Murray made the right decision. 

Time will tell. Personally, I'd rather have the better player and spend a little more money. To me, the better player is Beauchemin.