The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

norge25

Summer Rfa / Ufa Signings Watch

It's not overreacting. It's just being realistic about who Bieksa now is. I get that he's the shiny new toy and Beauchemin has incurred the wrath of the mob, but at some point we need to be realistic about what the swap is. 

btw, I would have done 3yrs at $4.5/season to keep Beauchemin. We've now got Bieksa at 3yrs at ~$4M/season. Beauchemin>Bieksa

Good luck in Colorado, Frankie! 

It's not shiney new toy syndrome at all. You're just clearly thinking about this too short-term. 4.5m for 3yrs is pretty terrible. He'll be worth that for all of 1 year. Not to mention that Beauch has been awful outside of ANA. 

I take it you also read that article describing in too much detail what he's accused of having done?

I hate him for his diving more than anything lol

Huh? When was that the plan. It went like this:

Plan A--  major upgrade. Not happening.

Plan B--  Fowler-Des, Hamper-Wiz, Beauch-Vats

(Then Wiz was traded, so...)

Plan C-- Fowler-Des, Hamper-Beauch, Stoner-Vats (not an improvement, and FB23 was ideal in a reduced role, but what else could we hope for at this point given Murray's moves and the options?)

So now we have KB, and that's not the worst option but he's no better than FB23, I would argue a slight step down. And just as I wouldn't want Stoner-Beauch, I wouldn't want Stoner-Bieksa.

Paul Martin to the Sharks.

So you were seriously expecting BM to commit that much money to a player who never impressed here and was probably a mistake move by BM and on a guy who would be 38 when his deal was up.... all whilst knowing we have something like 8 RFAs to sign next year. 

Come on AD. Stop thinking too short-term. The D-corp is going to improve because of the continued development of Fowler, Despres, Lindholm and Vatanen, not because we kept two vets who were less than impressive in recent memory. Bieksa for Beauchemin is a downgrade, but you're overdoing it here. You're acting like we just traded for the John Scott of D-men.

So you were seriously expecting BM to commit that much money to a player who never impressed here and was probably a mistake move by BM and on a guy who would be 38 when his deal was up.... all whilst knowing we have something like 8 RFAs to sign next year.

Come on AD. Stop thinking too short-term. The D-corp is going to improve because of the continued development of Fowler, Despres, Lindholm and Vatanen, not because we kept two vets who were less than impressive in recent memory. Bieksa for Beauchemin is a downgrade, but you're overdoing it here. You're acting like we just traded for the John Scott of D-men.

#StillWantScott :ph34r:

Edit: especially if Frolik is in Calgary fuuuuuuuuu... Welp, Tlusty it is.

Kessel and Crosby on the same line is insaaaaane.. This guy almost put up 40 goals skating beside Tyler freaking Bozak on a team coached by Randy Carlyle

No offense, myt, but if that's what you're taking away from AD's posts, I think you're missing his points completely.

No offense, myt, but if that's what you're taking away from AD's posts, I think you're missing his points completely.

Care to explain. I'm clearly not on your "our D sucks because of one deal" wavelength.

@FriedgeHNIC: As a @RealKyper reported, Kessel to PIT for Kapanen, Harrington and a pick

Pretty cheap return? Would have expected PIT to mortgage even more of their future for Phil

@FriedgeHNIC: As a @RealKyper reported, Kessel to PIT for Kapanen, Harrington and a pick

Weak return.

I'm not excited about Bieksa, but I don't think it's a significant downgrade.  I just hope he isn't playing alongside Lindholm.  I wish we had kept Wisniewski, though.  I'd much rather see Lindholm - Wiz than Lindholm - Bieksa.

So he was good under Torts? He struggled, and you're putting his play on Sbisa and Torts? lol

Look, he has declined with age, he's not the same guy from 3-4 years ago. That's not just because of external factors, just as with Beauch and other d-men who play a hard game around that age, they start to lose a half-step. Frankie has, and Bieksa has. Why is that so tough to believe? Just watching any recent game with him confirms it. He's not washed up by any stretch, but he's not exactly a guy you should be leaning on for top-4 minutes or impact physical play anymore. He's a good #5-6 guy.

His heart and compete levels are off the charts though, just like Kesler, I expect Bieksa to give us everything he's got every night. I'm not mad at that, and he'll get every chance to prove where he fits on the roster. Let's just wait and see how he looks in a Ducks sweater, shall we?

This is a lateral move AD, but one that saves the Ducks some cap and for a guy who's a year younger. I'm not saying Bieksa is better than Frankie, but I do feel he will have more gas in the tank as the seasons go on. 

As per the bolded, I didn't say he was good under Torts, but he was his most trusted defenseman, that doesn't count for nothing.

If you want to call Bieksa a 5-6 guy go ahead. He is in the same sense that Frankie is. 

You're watching too many Vancouver feeds. 

It's not overreacting. It's just being realistic about who Bieksa now is. I get that he's the shiny new toy and Beauchemin has incurred the wrath of the mob, but at some point we need to be realistic about what the swap is. 

btw, I would have done 3yrs at $4.5/season to keep Beauchemin. We've now got Bieksa at 3yrs at ~$4M/season. Beauchemin>Bieksa

Good luck in Colorado, Frankie! 

Except Bieksa is a year younger.

Who's thinking short term, and how am I overdoing it. All I'm saying is that Bieksa is better as a 5-6 guy than a #4. Is that such hyperbole in your mind??? It seems pretty fair and objective to me.

As for Wiz, I think you might be the thinking short term. "He sucked in his 13 games playing injured while juggling partners!" What kind of short-sighted thinking is that? I'm not a fan at all, and we could have used better there, but what was the point in spending the assets to acquire a guy with term if Murray didn't value him or envision a role for him beyond this season? Now we spend another 2nd rounder for a guy that is at best a lateral move? I don't think I'm the one being short-sighted here.

And you're right, even though Beauch was the better player, he'll be 38 when his deal is up. Thank goodness we didn't step into that trap. We have the much younger Bieksa, who will be a spry 37 at the end of his deal.  :lol:

What's done is done, rooting hard for KB now. But I call these additions as I see them, and Murray's use of assets is weird at best, and his track record signing "rugged" defensemen is worthy of some skepticism. Where would he be if Despres wasn't gift wrapped for him?

Care to explain. I'm clearly not on your "our D sucks because of one deal" wavelength.

Not in this thread. Too much other stuff going on. We can rehash later in an appropriate thread when the UFA period slows down....

This is a lateral move AD, but one that saves the Ducks some cap and for a guy who's a year younger. I'm not saying Bieksa is better than Frankie, but I do feel he will have more gas in the tank as the seasons go on. 

As per the bolded, I didn't say he was good under Torts, but he was his most trusted defenseman, that doesn't count for nothing.

If you want to call Bieksa a 5-6 guy go ahead. He is in the same sense that Frankie is. 

You're watching too many Vancouver feeds. 

Glad you've changed your stance for me, thanks.  :lol:

liquid said:

I don't believe he's a bottom paring guy.

Honestly i think he will be better than Frankie. 

Maybe you should watch a few more Vancouver feeds.  :P

Kessel and Crosby on the same line is insaaaaane.. This guy almost put up 40 goals skating beside Tyler freaking Bozak on a team coached by Randy Carlyle

Leafs fans hated him, and they'll now complain they didn't get enough for him... 50+ goal potential playing with Crosby and Malkin.

Beleskey's market is shrinking.

Except Bieksa is a year younger.

Well then, that makes all the difference...

<_<

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger 3m3 minutes ago

Kessel trade could be bigger hearing Spaling involved and Pitt also gets Torontos 2nd round pick.

Did PIT pry a second rounder from Toronto too. Say it ain't so!