The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ZTHER

Draft Day Talk

Historic day: Chris Pronger becomes the first NHL executive to be traded. Grossmann + Pronger's corpse to ARI for Gagner + cond. 2016 3rd/4th

The Pronger trade is comical, does the league give a crap about credibility?

I guess whatever it takes for the Yotes to meet the floor, and Philly must be doing back flips to have that off the books. 

Hearing Flyers might buy him out... 1 gently used 40-point getting 26-yr-old C/RW anyone??

Maloney said he didn't believe Sam was cut out to be a center in this league. Ouch, that's a pretty direct comment, reminds me of how Bruce talked about Cogs, except Cogs still has great value as a depth winger. 

Despite his storied career in Tampa, I'll pass on Gagne.

The NHL draft coverage just had a Murray interview. He was pretty wishy-washy as for the moves made and to come.

- When asked about Hagelin, he said it was a move to make our team better now.

- When asked about the goalie situation, he said we were injured and chasing goalies last season, so we are stable now. He emphasized the need for a legit backup and some stability. He reiterated that this does NOT mean Gibson will be traded, he wants the three goalies apparently. I guess it's Gibby to the AHL, that's pretty confusing as Gibby has clearly graduated. We had this same debate last summer. 

- When asked about further moves, he said with Thompson out they may look at the center/winger situation, but really made the impression that nothing was imminent and his general attitude towards further upgrades seemed pretty passive.

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Ducks GM Bob Murray emphatically shut down any talk of a John Gibson trade. ``John Gibson is not getting traded, so put that out there.''

To be totally exact:

Eric Stephens retweeted JoshuaCooper

Pair this live one to Coop in FLA with "Dehydrated Donkey Dungstorms" on our conference call.

Eric Stephens added,

JoshuaCooper @JoshuaCooper
The exact quote from Bob Murray was: "John Gibson is not getting traded … put that f.ucking out there"

That must have been a break between poker faces LOL :D

Does the Pronger guaranteed SC Final trade magic still work if he's not on the ice?

Does the Pronger guaranteed SC Final trade magic still work if he's not on the ice?

Kinda sorta, I think it means the Yotes are automatic frontrunners in the #Tank4Matthews2016 race. Which is basically their version of the Cup.

Kinda sorta, I think it means the Yotes are automatic frontrunners in the #Tank4Matthews2016 race. Which is basically their version of the Cup.

Tanking is probably not the angle (see Buffalo), but may very well be the result...

Truth is that Maloney is facing a ton of uncertainty and is probably doing the right thing here.

Tanking is probably not the angle (see Buffalo), but may very well be the result...

Truth is that Maloney is facing a ton of uncertainty and is probably doing the right thing here.

True, but... If I'm anyone in the Coyotes' offices, I'm already dreaming of the HUUUGE marketing win landing Matthews would be. Hyping up that homegrown angle, rallying new fans with that narrative... Obviously their hands are tied with the future of the franchise in turmoil, on the one hand it would sure look bad to blow chunks (on the ice and financially) for another year, but if you do it badly enough there's a big chance to land your own Franchise Jesus... Rock and a hard place kinda thing I guess

True, but... If I'm anyone in the Coyotes' offices, I'm already dreaming of the HUUUGE marketing win landing Matthews would be. Hyping up that homegrown angle, rallying new fans with that narrative... Obviously their hands are tied with the future of the franchise in turmoil, on the one hand it would sure look bad to blow chunks (on the ice and financially) for another year, but if you do it badly enough there's a big chance to land your own Franchise Jesus... Rock and a hard place kinda thing I guess

That's a good thought/point...

I had actually thought if the draft fix was on, that the NHL would have handed Arizona McDavid as a slam dunk way to prop up the franchise.

That's a good thought/point...

I had actually thought if the draft fix was on, that the NHL would have handed Arizona McDavid as a slam dunk way to prop up the franchise.

I thought the same thing to be honest. Bettman has been championing Arizona for so long, it seemed like McD was bound to go there to level the playing field. But if we're going to indulge the draft fix thing... You could maybe argue that Arizona wouldn't have been the best place for the league to get full mileage out of promoting McDavid as the next face of the game. Maybe Matthews will have more traction attracting new fans who might have looked the other way even if McDavid WAS part of the franchise. McD sure has cemented a place as saviour for all those glum Edmonton fans who've been the butt of every joke for almost a decade. That's a huge resurgence of activity for the league... I hope the draft is rigged, if that means Matthews goes to Arizona next year, because that might be the league's best (last?) chance at redeeming the franchise...

Before I take the tin foil hat off: if the McDavid odds had worked in Arizona's favour on draft lottery day... Would that have influenced Glendale City Council's decision?? :ph34r:

Ok, taking it off now.

Edit: McDavid "odds" :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Ok, really taking it off now.

I thought the same thing to be honest. Bettman has been championing Arizona for so long, it seemed like McD was bound to go there to level the playing field. But if we're going to indulge the draft fix thing... You could maybe argue that Arizona wouldn't have been the best place for the league to get full mileage out of promoting McDavid as the next face of the game. Maybe Matthews will have more traction attracting new fans who might have looked the other way even if McDavid WAS part of the franchise. McD sure has cemented a place as saviour for all those glum Edmonton fans who've been the butt of every joke for almost a decade. That's a huge resurgence of activity for the league... I hope the draft is rigged, if that means Matthews goes to Arizona next year, because that might be the league's best (last?) chance at redeeming the franchise...

Before I take the tin foil hat off: if the McDavid odds had worked in Arizona's favour on draft lottery day... Would that have influenced Glendale City Council's decision?? :ph34r:

Ok, taking it off now.

Edit: McDavid "odds" :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Ok, really taking it off now.

This.

Plus maybe it's a move (McD to EDM) to redirect people's thoughts from a potential draft fix.

However, considering the Oilers won it AGAIN, amidst of huge organisational changes (making incompetent ex-players step away from key management roles and such) it could have been a fix to finally kickstart a once glorious franchise again.

You know, Oilers > Coyotes. Arizona would have been too obvious, this was more subtle.

Plus as you mentioned, a hometown boy story makes for a better fairy tale this year. The deeper the troube, the bigger the savior.

This may be some conspiracy theory level thinking, but the Oilers' lottery win still doesn't allow me to rest easy completely...