The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
duck123

Etem Traded To Rangers, In Exchange For Hagelin:

Management must be seeing something that we are not. Must be some " flaw" in his game or his demeanor that isn't obvious to the casual observer ( fans ). I liked him and wish him well - except when he plays against us.

I think the flaw is that he's limited offensively at this level.

He isn't creative. His shot isn't high end, by NHL standards. He's certainly fast, but his overall mobility outside of straight line speed isn't terrific. His passing skills are rather meh. Finally, I think he suffers from tunnel vision. He gets the puck on his stick and he wants to get it on net, even if it means leaving his linemates behind with his speed, or putting a bad angle shot on net.

Etem is a player who, I think, would be much more successful if he reinvented himself like Cogliano. He was also expected to be an offensive contributor, and he even was for a bit, but it wasn't something he could sustain. When we acquired him, his role wasn't that of a top six scoring forward, like he was in Edmonton, but a utility defensive forward. And it's difficult to argue that he has been much more effective in that role. For us, at least. That's what I think Etem needs to do.

• Like 1

Etem replaces Chris Higgins? Canucks are shopping him, and Higgins has left the team until he gets traded. Something weird going on there.

Etem replaces Chris Higgins? Canucks are shopping him, and Higgins has left the team until he gets traded. Something weird going on there.

What do you mean Higgins has left the team? Just not showing up to practice or games?

What do you mean Higgins has left the team? Just not showing up to practice or games?

Apparently so. At least this is what was being reported on various hockey sites today. He won't attend practices or games until he is traded. It's a weird one.

Correction:  looks like the Canucks are the ones who sent him home.  

Any wonder why the Canucks have never won anything?

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/botchford+canucks+tell+higgins+time/11642624/story.html

Edited by Fowl

Shame he can't seem to find his NHL footing, I'm rooting for him though.

Traded to Vancouver.

Glad for the kid.

NY was not a good fit and hopefully he gets the chance to develop in a system that is not in contention for a Stanley Cup.

I was thinking the same, he might have a better chance cracking a team that isn't quite as deep. 

I think the flaw is that he's limited offensively at this level.

He isn't creative. His shot isn't high end, by NHL standards. He's certainly fast, but his overall mobility outside of straight line speed isn't terrific. His passing skills are rather meh. Finally, I think he suffers from tunnel vision. He gets the puck on his stick and he wants to get it on net, even if it means leaving his linemates behind with his speed, or putting a bad angle shot on net.

Etem is a player who, I think, would be much more successful if he reinvented himself like Cogliano. He was also expected to be an offensive contributor, and he even was for a bit, but it wasn't something he could sustain. When we acquired him, his role wasn't that of a top six scoring forward, like he was in Edmonton, but a utility defensive forward. And it's difficult to argue that he has been much more effective in that role. For us, at least. That's what I think Etem needs to do.

I've always had this exact assessment for him. He's a one trick pony and that trick wasn't considered, well..... A trick unless he was successful at it. He would always just get the puck and scream down side the boards and hastily Fire the puck near the circle. Rarely did he slow down a bit and check his surroundings for either the pass or a good deke move.... Speed Skate and shoot. You need to be more creative and utilize your teammates to be good in the big boy league. But yeah, the kid has speed he just needs to learn to smell the flowers along the way if that makes any sense. Good luck Etem!!

• Like 1

Ducks give up another first. First goal for Hagelin as Penguin.

I guess two firsts tonight. The Ducks put in their best effort to make sure Gibson didn't stand a chance with his "no more than 3 goals against" season record.

• Like 1

Ducks give up another first. First goal for Hagelin as Penguin.

I guess two firsts tonight. The Ducks put in their best effort to make sure Gibson didn't stand a chance with his "no more than 3 goals against" season record.

Gibson wasn't the sharpest tonight, but he had zero help either. The whole team stunk.

Phil our PA announcer said it best last night, paraphrased butchered but close enough: 

Haglan scored?  He couldn't sink a pebble in a sandy beach when he was with the Ducks!

• Like 2

Well, Emerson can't say that he is not getting an opportunity in Van.

He is playing on a line with the Sedin Twins. If he can't gather points playing with those guys, he'd better enroll in plumbing school.

Follow up: He looks eerily familiar. He jumps into holes and gets to the net at the right time......the puck arrives on his stick .......and denied.

Edited by wataduk

Seriously, Pittsburgh needs to stop with all this turn-ex-ducks-player-into-gold baloney.

Bonino...Hagelin...KUNITZ. ARGHHGHGHG. We had thems all and nao what...they're winning a cup for Pitt.

https://www.nhl.com/news/carl-hagelin-thriving-for-penguins/c-280746358?tid=280118332

What's wrong with us? They don't mesh with 'The Core'? Boudreau's coaching? Hot California weather? 'Western Conference style'?

Edit: all that said, the players themselves aren't necessarily garbage, they just seem to have been misused on our roster. So Bob is getting the right players, but for whatever reason they don't work here and work elsewhere. Maybe firing Bruce wasn't such a bad idea.

Edited by Aksun

Seriously, Pittsburgh needs to stop with all this turn-ex-ducks-player-into-gold baloney.

Bonino...Hagelin...KUNITZ. ARGHHGHGHG. We had thems all and nao what...they're winning a cup for Pitt.

https://www.nhl.com/news/carl-hagelin-thriving-for-penguins/c-280746358?tid=280118332

What's wrong with us? They don't mesh with 'The Core'? Boudreau's coaching? Hot California weather? 'Western Conference style'?

Edit: all that said, the players themselves aren't necessarily garbage, they just seem to have been misused on our roster. So Bob is getting the right players, but for whatever reason they don't work here and work elsewhere. Maybe firing Bruce wasn't such a bad idea.

To be fair, all but Hagelin produced in a duck sweater

Etem being the guy who couldn't break the Rangers line up over frickin Tanner Glass. Also, looking at the Canucks roster, doesn't bode well for Etems stock that he was waived. I wouldn't bring him back into the fold. Give that spot to a Gull.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, poum said:

Etem being the guy who couldn't break the Rangers line up over frickin Tanner Glass. Also, looking at the Canucks roster, doesn't bode well for Etems stock that he was waived. I wouldn't bring him back into the fold. Give that spot to a Gull.

He'd look great as a Gull though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AustinDuck27 said:

He'd look great as a Gull though.

I suspect he'd jump off a cliff first before going back to an Anaheim farm team...

3 hours ago, Aksun said:

I suspect he'd jump off a cliff first before going back to an Anaheim farm team...

That's fine, I'm sure Murray and Carlyle will be there soon enough to break his fall. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aksun said:

Either he just can't catch a break...or he is Elite Sexton level. Too bad for the kid, I really feel sorry for Etem.

It's a combo of the two, but I feel like his injury history has overshadowed his potential the last few seasons. After all, he went from Anaheim to NYR to Vancouver to Arizona with bounces to Norfolk, San Diego and now Tucson along the way. Wish he'd been a California success story, especially coming back to the Ducks last season, but damn.