Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WolfgangDuck

Bobby Ryan Trade 2 Years Later....

86 posts in this topic

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25263779/how-the-bobby-ryan-trade-is-a-big-win-for-the-ducks-two-years-later

The article doesn't really tell us anything different from what we all already know....but boy did the author butcher the part on Stefan Noesen.  Defenseman eh????

Edited by WolfgangDuck
2 people like this

I was happy with the trade on day 1. It didn't make sense to pay Ryan 7 million a year, and the drama didn't help either. Silfverberg is looking great, the Ducks under Murray draft well so 10th overall ended up being sweet, and Noesen still is interesting.

4 people like this

Hard to judge still IMHO...at this point we have won, but if silfverberg flat lines and Ricthie busts, and ryan goes back to 30 + a game as he was injured last year... it could all change quickly.

Hopefully silfverberg picks up where he left off in the playoffs cuz then we will be laughing.

It's too early to pick winners and losers and I think the trade worked out fine for both clubs. We may not get what we hoped for out of Noesen, but Silf has been just what the doctor ordered for a team in desperate need of more two-way players and Ritchie could eventually turn into the best player in the whole deal in a few years. And while Ottawa probably overpaid for Bobby, their farm system was so stacked with good, young winger prospects at the time of the trade (see Stone, Hoffman, Puempel) that they could afford to move out a little more than they got back. And they really needed another veteran high level scorer for their top-6 a lot more than they needed another young 2nd/3rd line winger. Bobby's production has obviously been down since the hernia injury and since he was moved from Turris's line to Zibanejad's line, but he's still putting up decent numbers and I don't see why his production trend can't reverse itself as Turris (25 y/o), Zibanejad (22), Pageau (22), and eventually Lazar (20) all continue to develop. That is a very good young team in Ottawa. All things considered (i.e. the Alfredsson fiasco and the Spezza trade demand), Bryan Murray has done a heckuva job re-tooling that team with a good mix of outstanding young talent and skilled character vets. Just like he did here in Anaheim.

IMO, this was the epitome of a "hockey trade" that worked out well for both clubs.

1 person likes this

At this very moment, its hard to argue against the Ducks as the winners of this trade. While Ryan's numbers arent terrible, they certainly don't justify his contract and he was close to invisible down the stretch last year. It really struck me when Ottawa was stringing together all of those wins just how little we were hearing about Ryan's contributions to that club.

We all know Silfverberg was one of the better forwards on the team during the second half, and he turned it up a level in the playoffs. Looking forward, there is no reason his offensive production cant compete with what Ryan will do in Ottawa, while his defensive game provides way more value. Plus, the Ducks end up with the younger and cheaper player. We'll see what happens with Ritchie, but even if Noesen ends up as a career role player, the trade still looks better from this side.

Now, Ryan could easily become the productive winger he was in Anaheim, but something has just looked off with him the past few seasons. I know he has been hurt, but you could make the argument that Ryan just isnt suited to be the main man on any offense.

1 person likes this

At this very moment, its hard to argue against the Ducks as the winners of this trade. While Ryan's numbers arent terrible, they certainly don't justify his contract and he was close to invisible down the stretch last year. It really struck me when Ottawa was stringing together all of those wins just how little we were hearing about Ryan's contributions to that club.

We all know Silfverberg was one of the better forwards on the team during the second half, and he turned it up a level in the playoffs. Looking forward, there is no reason his offensive production cant compete with what Ryan will do in Ottawa, while his defensive game provides way more value. Plus, the Ducks end up with the younger and cheaper player. We'll see what happens with Ritchie, but even if Noesen ends up as a career role player, the trade still looks better from this side.

Now, Ryan could easily become the productive winger he was in Anaheim, but something has just looked off with him the past few seasons. I know he has been hurt, but you could make the argument that Ryan just isnt suited to be the main man on any offense.

You are right- he does look "off" - looks a little like Pancake Penner in some ways ( but with more natural born skills ). Imagine if we had gotten the FIRST PICK that year and ended up with Cindy Crosby instead !!! WOW, WOW, WOW!!

GO DUCKS !!!

I've been ready to call this a win since the beginning, but it's really not... yet. Right now the only comparables in the trade are Bobby and Silfverberg. I know most Ducks fans might agree with me that Silf is finally becoming the guy I'd prefer on my roster between the two guys, but it's still a tough sell to call Jakob the better player. Bobby is still a tier above Silf, and while Silf might bring more of a 200 ft game, I don't think Bobby has gotten as much credit as he deserves for improving that side of his game since landing in Ottawa. People wanted a 30 goal scoring difference-maker, but between his injury and who knows what other reasons he hasn't put up the numbers people expected. But this has overshadowed what I think has been some growth to Bobby''s game in other areas. So while the difference between Bobby's two-way play and Silf's still heavily favors Silf, I don't think it's enough to offset the fact that he has yet to even sniff at Bobby's production, even in a down year, and who knows if he ever will (I think we'll see Jakob put up 15/40 - 20/50 depending on his PP time and linemates).

Ritchie and Noesen don't factor in until they actually crack the NHL and stick IMO. I'd wager that both of them end up being solid NHL'ers, potentially even more than that in Ritchie's case. So the difference between Silf and Bobby isn't as far off as it once was, but it still tilts slightly in Bobby's favor in my eyes. But the second one of Noesen or Ritchie crack the NHL this is a total win for Anaheim.

Edited by AustinDuck27
2 people like this

I've been ready to call this a win since the beginning, but it's really not... yet. Right now the only comparables in the trade are Bobby and Silfverberg. I know most Ducks fans might agree with me that Silf is finally becoming the guy I'd prefer on my roster between the two guys, but it's still a tough sell to call Jakob the better player. Bobby is still a tier above Silf, and while Silf might bring more of a 200 ft game, I don't think Bobby has gotten as much credit as he deserves for improving that side of his game since landing in Ottawa. People wanted a 30 goal scoring difference-maker, but between his injury and who knows what other reasons he hasn't put up the numbers people expected. But this has overshadowed what I think has been some growth to Bobby''s game in other areas. So while the difference between Bobby's two-way play and Silf's still heavily favors Silf, I don't think it's enough to offset the fact that he has yet to even sniff at Bobby's production, even in a down year, and who knows if he ever will (I think we'll see Jakob put up 15/40 - 20/50 depending on his PP time and linemates).

Ritchie and Noesen don't factor in until they actually crack the NHL and stick IMO. I'd wager that both of them end up being solid NHL'ers, potentially even more than that in Ritchie's case. So the difference between Silf and Bobby isn't as far off as it once was, but it still tilts slightly in Bobby's favor in my eyes. But the second one of Noesen or Ritchie crack the NHL this is a total win for Anaheim.

+1, all good points. Though I'd add that another way to officially win this trade is for Selkeberg to hoist a big silver trophy over his Swedish locks in a Ducks sweater.
6 people like this

+1, all good points. Though I'd add that another way to officially win this trade is for Selkeberg to hoist a big silver trophy over his Swedish locks in a Ducks sweater.

Absolutely! 

*cough #15* *cough #10*

It's not a lose though either... closer to a win-win right now.

Bobby article currently on TSN:

http://www.tsn.ca/ryan-aiming-for-more-goals-and-fewer-tweets-1.362143

The 28-year-old got married this past June. Ryan said that after his wedding he spent a significant amount of time training - and watching recordings of the final 20 games to see what exactly went wrong with his game. He said the recordings revealed the reason for his struggles and he believes it's something he can fix.

"I was playing on the outside a little too much. Even when I was getting to the front of the net I was allowing my own momentum to take me right out of plays," explained Ryan. "And that's been an M.O. for me that when I start to struggle, I start to swing and I try to cheat a little offensively. I watched the 15 games before that when our line was on a roll and I felt like we were doing more of the little things right. What a difference - it looks like two different players on two different lines. I try to identify with the player I was in January and February a little more."

Ryan had 24 points in 24 games in December and January and was named to the All-Star Game in Columbus. But after that his game tailed off and he was mired in an extended slump. To combat that, Ryan hired a new personal trainer near his off-season home in Idaho who was in contact with Senators strength and conditioning coach Chris Schwartz to create an off-season program.

I think just about everyone on this board could have told him the same thing.

4 people like this

Another B Ryan article on his problems. " I didn't go to the hard places - I stayed on the perimeter "And his GM said they were disappointed with the shape that he came into camp last year. His $7.5M contract kicks in next year ( I believe ) - I am so glad that we didn't give him an offer. Just got married and spent his summer watching his games of the last year - especially the last 20 when he didn't score and the first 4 playoffs without a score. I wish him well but he seems like PANCAKES REDEUX. IMHO

1 person likes this

Another B Ryan article on his problems. " I didn't go to the hard places - I stayed on the perimeter "And his GM said they were disappointed with the shape that he came into camp last year. His $7.5M contract kicks in next year ( I believe ) - I am so glad that we didn't give him an offer. Just got married and spent his summer watching his games of the last year - especially the last 20 when he didn't score and the first 4 playoffs without a score. I wish him well but he seems like PANCAKES REDEUX. IMHO

I wouldn't go as far as to say that he's pancakes 0.5 or anything. He's got skills and that was apparent in many of the OTT games last season. However, he's definitely streaky and doesn't really do much when he's not scoring.

Fun fact: His 7.25M contract kicks in this year. http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/ottawa-senators

Another goal for Bobby tonight. That's 4G in his last 5 games and 5G in 11 games for him on the season so far.

I would disagree with this. Ritchie is still an asset with quantifiable worth, and its almost impossible to justify saying Ryan is more valuable than Silf and Ritch especially considering his contract. To me it was a clear win from the beginning because I truly believe the pick alone (Ritchie) will be worth it. Ryan is a really overrated player; his work ethic and consistency are terrible and he's invisible for such long stretches of time its unbelievable.

I would disagree with this. Ritchie is still an asset with quantifiable worth, and its almost impossible to justify saying Ryan is more valuable than Silf and Ritch especially considering his contract. To me it was a clear win from the beginning because I truly believe the pick alone (Ritchie) will be worth it. Ryan is a really overrated player; his work ethic and consistency are terrible and he's invisible for such long stretches of time its unbelievable.

One thing you can't overlook is that Bobby Ryan is eating up $7.5m in the payroll for a person who is invisible for very long stretches. That $7.5M has allowed us to re-sign Kesler (although i think $6.8m a year is overpriced) and give us wiggle room to sign Despres and Gibson to a certain extent.

Hehe, that post was from August, so I imagine Ritchie's hot start as a pro has added some bias to things in hindsight, but I stand by my closing sentence:

"... the second one of Noesen or Ritchie crack the NHL this is a total win for Anaheim."

Bobby's back on a 30g pace this season, and while Ritchie looks like he could bring this trade into homerun territory, we can't overlook the fact that Silfverberg has looked like a total waste of $4M. He continues to be an offensive black hole, and even his normally solid play away from the puck has been lacking this season. Since the Torres hit, he's gone from being a little soft to being downright afraid of contact.

I still don't think things are clear cut just yet, Bobby could rebound, Silf could never take another step, and Ritchie has yet to make the NHL. That could change any day though, he'll get a call up sooner than later. Noesen is a wild card at this point.

Edited by AustinDuck27

When I look at this trade I just keep thinking one thing. The Kings suck.

8 people like this

When I look at this trade I just keep thinking one thing. The Kings suck.

Spot on !!!

1 person likes this

Filthy goal last night from Bobby Ryan late in the 3rd to tie the game up and earn a point against Detroit. His best since that playoff game against Nashville in 2011.

That's now 7G + 9A = 16 points in 18 games for Bobby. Currently leading the Sens in goals and second in scoring behind Karlsson. Looks like he's finally past his groin issues.

Filthy goal last night from Bobby Ryan late in the 3rd to tie the game up and earn a point against Detroit. His best since that playoff game against Nashville in 2011.

That's now 7G + 9A = 16 points in 18 games for Bobby. Currently leading the Sens in goals and second in scoring behind Karlsson. Looks like he's finally past his groin issues.

This is better simply because of the team it is against, lol.

3 people like this

Bobby continuing his early season tear last night with another outstanding goal.

Points in 9 straight games. 8G/12A in 21 games so far. 

Ryan seems to have found his game again. He sure is fun to watch when he's skating well.

Edited by liquid13
1 person likes this

Beauty, I love the Bobby specials when he takes the puck from the neutral zone and embarrasses some team, but that's a great takeaway on the forecheck converted. No floating on that one, very nice.

Great to see him coming back around, I really think that groin/hernia issue wasn't given enough credit for his struggles. I mean, look at Getzlaf right now, he's finding a way to get it done, but even when he's clearly giving 100%, he's just not the same dominant player.

2 people like this

I will say this though before jumping to conclusions: He has done this his whole entire career. Go on a 15 game tear, then go pointless for 9 games. Put up 4 goals 1 week. Put up 4 goals the next month. 

Glad to see Bobby doing fairly well though. I know it was a semi rough relationship towards the end, but at the end, it was simply a business deal by Murray and not trading a disgruntled player.

3 more points tonight for Bobby. He's on a point per game pace thru 25 game.

1 person likes this