The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

poum

Nhl Catch-All For 2015-16

Gimmicky as all hell but I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Think 95% of that is due to John Scott though.

John Scott in the ASG. A 1-0 game. Buttman not happy.

In this case, a 1-0 game is okay.

Great goaltending. A lot of scoring opportunities. definitely not a boring 1-0 game.

GIBSON!!! I really can't say enough about his saves! Do the splits man! :) Happy our guys won, and they SHINED!!! Perry was his usual greasy sniper too! We got great players!

In this case, a 1-0 game is okay.

Great goaltending. A lot of scoring opportunities. definitely not a boring 1-0 game.

Oh I agree. Got pretty nervous there at the end. Just the ASG are usually high scoring affairs. With a move to 3 on 3 too. I think Bettman was more excited with the result of the Pacific/Central game with all the goals as opposed to the lack of scoring in the championship game.

A random stupid thought. I've never really cared or thought about mascots. Yet the NHL was kinda pumping the whole mascot-off thing. I couldn't help but notice Wild Wing is easily the best of them.

- DAL: I don't even... Just what the [insert favorite swear word]

- SJ: That's not a shark, it's a dolphin.

- CBJ: Is meth a big thing in Columbus? That thing is twaked out.

- NJD: Thing just reminds me of black face.

- MTL: Looks like a fat ginger Sasquatch.

- CAR: Easily the dumbest looking thing that's ever existed.

- LAK: Points just for being a horrible person in a costume.

- PIT: Definitely not a penguin. Looks more like a bee than Tampas bee.

- BOS: Looks like a teddy bear gone evil in a Goosebumps book.

- WNP: I can't hate on a moose.

A random stupid thought. I've never really cared or thought about mascots. Yet the NHL was kinda pumping the whole mascot-off thing. I couldn't help but notice Wild Wing is easily the best of them.

- DAL: I don't even... Just what the [insert favorite swear word]

- SJ: That's not a shark, it's a dolphin.

- CBJ: Is meth a big thing in Columbus? That thing is twaked out.

- NJD: Thing just reminds me of black face.

- MTL: Looks like a fat ginger Sasquatch.

- CAR: Easily the dumbest looking thing that's ever existed.

- LAK: Points just for being a horrible person in a costume.

- PIT: Definitely not a penguin. Looks more like a bee than Tampas bee.

- BOS: Looks like a teddy bear gone evil in a Goosebumps book.

- WNP: I can't hate on a moose.

- i agree -

i know its just matter of opinions,but still..kinda harsh words poum

i like our wild wing too,but best of these?,not in my mind,

still looks too disney for me.

Bettman's could fit in one of those mascot costumes. Definitely qualified at acting foolish like the mascots in most NHL cities.

12 games tonight! 

Has anyone been to the NHL.com site yet?  It's fine if you're on your phone, stupid if you're on desktop.  Yeah yeah, I understand the singular experience whether it's mobile device or desktop.  I just feel like like it's needless continuous scrolling on desktop.  And I think the company that handles the MLB is now handling the NHL media right?

And I think the company that handles the MLB is now handling the NHL media right?

Yup. When the NHL made the deal with MLB Advanced Media back in the summer or whenever that was, they said there would be a "transitioning" of certain products and services already running, happening this January. Wonder if team sites will be next.

Yup. When the NHL made the deal with MLB Advanced Media back in the summer or whenever that was, they said there would be a "transitioning" of certain products and services already running, happening this January. Wonder if team sites will be next.

Oh please don't!  We have one of the better looking and functioning team sites.  I thought they gave each team a template and we just need to make it pretty.

Toronto's new logo on the left (Marlies on the right)

mapleleafs.jpg

Seems almost sacrilegious to say but it's about time they rebranded. I have no idea why they kept that lame Harold Ballard/real life Mr. Burns logo around for almost half a century when they had so many good looks to choose from. Although it's going to be pretty funny hearing them go on about pride and honour for the Leaf when the team they ice next season is still going to be an absolute joke with or without Stamkos..

20 games for Wideman. Holy crap. Plowing into a ref while dazed-looking is apparently on par with taking steroids and far, far worse than a rape accusation or a DUI. #JustNHLthings

Not to mention way worse than your average charge, slewfoot, head hit, etc.

The league has protect the officials. Wideman made a beer league move, and it cost him. He's kind of lost it lately.....earlier this season he went off on Kesler for shooting into the empty net at Calgary after the game was over. Unseemly acts for this player.

Toronto's new logo on the left (Marlies on the right)

mapleleafs.jpg

Seems almost sacrilegious to say but it's about time they rebranded. I have no idea why they kept that lame Harold Ballard/real life Mr. Burns logo around for almost half a century when they had so many good looks to choose from. Although it's going to be pretty funny hearing them go on about pride and honour for the Leaf when the team they ice next season is still going to be an absolute joke with or without Stamkos..

The curse of Harold Ballard. He was kind of a prat, so well deserved. Leafs fans remind me of the dog in Up, except instead of their rallying cry being squirrel!, it's Babcock!, or Stamkos!

20 games for Wideman. Holy crap. Plowing into a ref while dazed-looking is apparently on par with taking steroids and far, far worse than a rape accusation or a DUI. #JustNHLthings

#NHL(un)discipline

But not as bad as steamrolling a Swede. Which if the signs are any indication, Torres is going to be buried in the minors for good riddance.

The league has protect the officials. Wideman made a beer league move, and it cost him. He's kind of lost it lately.....earlier this season he went off on Kesler for shooting into the empty net at Calgary after the game was over. Unseemly acts for this player.

I had to watch it quite a few times to make sure I was seeing what I saw. In all seriousness, he's starting to act like Romanowski, needs to see a neurologist.

Oh, and Gudas tossed for a marginal hit, but no discipline after the fact.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/02/03/no-hearing-for-gudas-after-getting-tossed-for-clipping/

I agree with the suspension. The NHL gets it wrong a lot, maybe even most of the time as norge pointed out, but the NHL had to throw the book at Wideman for that. It's really rare that a player totally levels an official in the way Wideman did. I think it's smart for the league to take a zero tolerance approach in this instance and make an example out of him. I think it would have made the league look soft if they decided to give him a lesser suspension because he might not have 100% intended to hit the official. This way it tells all the players, "we don't care what your reason is if you do something like that you're getting a big time suspension."

An official isn't eligible to be hit.  Ever.  You can only ever make contact with them when it's unavoidable in a normal game situation(this wasn't that).  The NHL has to protect their officials, and Wideman's action is just hard to defend.  Not only was the linesman in front of Wideman, but Wideman made no attempt to avoid contact, or to minimize the force of the impact.  Wideman even made it worse by shoving pretty forcefully with his arms.  

Another mark against Wideman is there is no evidence he was concussed.  Not during the incident, and not after.  He went right to the bench, sat down, and showed no immediate concern at all for the official he shoved to the ice.  The official spent the night in the hospital after that.  I don't think the NHL's response to this was ever in doubt.  10 games is the minimum for a minor incident with an official.  20 is the minimum for intent to injure on an official.  

This is a by the book result. 

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/02/03/nhl-confirms-wideman-was-diagnosed-with-concussion-after-hitting-linesman-video/

Flames may get fined for violation of concussion protocol now, but the fact that a doctor says he's concussed apparently doesn't factor into their decision on severity of incident or number of games he's suspended.

The team doctor probably isn't going to be seen as the most reliable source.  The NHL is going to look at the facts, which could include consultation from their own doctors.  Simply being concussed isn't necessarily a defense, assuming it's true at all.  Consider that he showed no visible signs, and he finished the game without issue.  It also doesn't help that he was back on the ice as recently as today.  

Based on the rule that the NHL is citing for his punishment, 20 games is the absolute minimum he can get.  The appeal would need to prove that his actions were unintentional.  Even with evidence of a concussion(which would need to be proven), that might be a tough sell.  The league has precedence to support them.  There are plenty of concussions to look at, and none of them involve a player responding like this.  

Maybe he'll get lucky, but unless there is important information we aren't privy to, he put a linesman in the hospital with a cross check/shove from behind.  

An official isn't eligible to be hit.  Ever.  You can only ever make contact with them when it's unavoidable in a normal game situation(this wasn't that).  The NHL has to protect their officials, and Wideman's action is just hard to defend.  Not only was the linesman in front of Wideman, but Wideman made no attempt to avoid contact, or to minimize the force of the impact.  Wideman even made it worse by shoving pretty forcefully with his arms.  

Another mark against Wideman is there is no evidence he was concussed.  Not during the incident, and not after.  He went right to the bench, sat down, and showed no immediate concern at all for the official he shoved to the ice.  The official spent the night in the hospital after that.  I don't think the NHL's response to this was ever in doubt.  10 games is the minimum for a minor incident with an official.  20 is the minimum for intent to injure on an official.  

This is a by the book result.

I'll bet once it hits the arbitrator, it will get reduced. Bettman's will likely uphold the 20 games, but some evidence will be introduced to garner a reduction to around 10. That's my best guess.