The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

liquid13

Expansion Draft

I still don't get the the whole Drouin thing,he can barely hold his own currently in the AHL and lots of teams suppose to drool over him...

He might have all the tools.but he doesn't have the tool box to hold his tools in the right places.

I think his playoff performance shows why everyone was right about how good he is...

Keep 7 forwards, 3 defensemen, 1 goalie.  All of the players that you guys have been discussing as not needing to be protected absolutely need to be protected.  Ritchie, Theodore, and all have to be included if you want to keep them.  Pro means any season in AHL or NHL after age 20 or any season at 18-19 years old that includes 10 NHL appearances.  They both had over 10 appearances and are now over 20, so they'll have 2 years regardless.

Must also use keeper spots on any players with no trade clauses (currently Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, and Bieksa, but likely to include a few guys signed this off-season because of the expansion draft).  I assume Ducks will get Bieksa to waive NTC.  Those of you saying you'd definitely protect Getzlaf, Kesler, and Perry apparently don't understand economics and opportunity cost.  It won't happen because of NTC, but the best thing that could happen for the Ducks would be to see Vegas pick away one of those rich contracts for an aging superstar.  Do you want to pay 34 year old Perry and Getzlaf a combined 17-18 million in 4 years?  Because that is the current fate of the franchise... and it won't be pretty under the salary cap.

That leaves room for 5 forwards, 2 defensemen, and 1 goalie. Manson, Theodore, Ritchie, Wagner, Fowler, Stoner, and Cogliano will all have 1 year remaining, and are worth exposing because they probably won't be drafted away because of the 1 year (Theodore and Manson at 800K maybe?). Andersen, Lindholm and Rakell are RFAs and will likely get new contracts this off-season, which may price them out for Vegas to cherry-pick (except for Andersen). Have to assume unrestricted Vatanen will leave this off-season.

My picks for those spots are Despres and Silfverberg - good values with long deals

Theodore and Ritchie - hopefully they will have both proven themselves worthy of their picks this next season

Final defenseman: Assuming Lindholm lives up to the new deal ghe will get as RFA this off-season, I'd keep Lindholm over final year of Manson.

Final 2 forwards: Rakell and the last forward spot would be tbd.

One thing to consider is that if the team matches an RFA deal for Andersen, it may include an NTC, which means we're automatically exposing Gibson (makes keeping Andersen tough, if he realizes the NTC option). Other option is that Andersen may be legitimately better than Gibson and worth keeping. Keep both goalies, protect the one you want, and that means you know without any doubt that the other goalie will be cherry-picked so you don't have to worry about the expansion draft for the rest of your players.

At this point, Las Vegas Lame-o's should be their name-o.

The league needs to get over themselves. As trendsetters with the first top-tier professional sports franchise, embrace the city you're in. Aces is just the start, plenty of good names that'll tip the hat. How many NHL teams with two word names? AHL....ECHL...NCAA...yeah. Only three in the NHL, two of which are O6 teams. In fact, there used to be three O6 teams, until Chicago changed it up. 

They're being handed a competitive advantage no other expansion team has had to this juncture, suck it up that Black Knights is a likely no-go.

47 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

CapFriendly‏@CapFriendly

Vegas took it from you & we're giving it back. Excited to launch our own Expansion Draft tool: https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft

This is cool.

So basically we protect forwards: Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Silf, Rakell, Cogs, Vermette

And then have 3 spots to protect defensemen, so we have to either buy out Bieksa or trade one of Vats, Lindholm or Fowler.

Net result the players exposed are Boll, Wagner, Manson and Stoner. Etem and Garbutt aren't signed through next year.

Do we need to sign a goaltender through next season so they can get exposed? At the moment the only goaltender we have signed through 2018 is Gibson.

9 minutes ago, nieder said:

This is cool.

So basically we protect forwards: Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Silf, Rakell, Cogs, Vermette

And then have 3 spots to protect defensemen, so we have to either buy out Bieksa or trade one of Vats, Lindholm or Fowler.

Net result the players exposed are Garbutt, Boll, Etem, Wagner, Manson and Stoner.

Do we need to sign a goaltender through next season so they can get exposed? At the moment the only goaltender we have signed through 2018 is Gibson.

I tend to forget that trading Fowler wouldn't just be to gain cap space, BM doesn't want to lose a player in the draft and get nothing.  

I was watching Sportsnet the other night and they said that the GMs have agreed to additional rules surrounding the expansion draft and making deals. Basically there can't be any under the table deals, agreements not to take players etc. It all has to be done through the NHL trade system. I'm guessing you could still trade a player/pick to Vegas for 'Future Considerations' and part of those considerations end up being not taking Player X. But it all has to be done on the record.

5 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Can someone with insider access please provide some details on this article?

http://www.espn.com/blog/craig-custance/insider/post?id=8405

I'm curious to know how Custance thinks the expansion draft is going to change the trade deadline.

I don't have access, but I read that there may be behind the scenes deals made between GMs and agents before trade deals can be made. 

From ESPN insider Pierre Lebrun:

Specifically, GMs worry that Vegas could take advantage of the 48-hour window before the expansion draft in June to quietly agree to terms on a deal with a pending unrestricted free agent, then wait until July 1 to sign him, so as to pluck another player off a team's roster in the expansion draft.

This would circumvent the rule that if a team loses a free agent to Vegas in that 48-hour free-agent-signing window, it cannot lose another player in the expansion draft. Some GMs worry that veteran GM George McPhee, who wasn't born yesterday, would take advantage of the situation.

It isn't just the fans on the message boards that know Bieksa will haunt the Ducks until his contract expires.

http://www.tsn.ca/vegas-bound-tsn-s-cream-of-the-expansion-crop-1.613628

2. Jakob Silfverberg, LW, Anaheim: Kevin Bieksa’s contract continues to wreak havoc on the Ducks. His no-move clause forces the Ducks to go to an eight-skater protection plan, leaving top six forwards like Silfverberg vulnerable. Las Vegas won’t have many of those at their disposal.

He simply has to be bought out. There is no way this team can waste an expansion spot on him.

2 hours ago, nieder said:

He simply has to be bought out. There is no way this team can waste an expansion spot on him.

Anonymously AGREE :D

Chicago Blackhawks, Anaheim Ducks, Detroit Red Wings, Montreal Canadiens have some juggling to do before expansion draft

9:17 AM PT
  • leBrun_pierre_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=cr
    Pierre LeBrunESPN Senior Writer

The nickname for the NHL's new Las Vegas franchise will be announced on Tuesday, so it's as good a time as any to look at some of the decisions ahead for other teams as they strategize for next June's expansion draft.

Teams can either protect 7-3-1 (seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie) or eight skaters and a goalie. Teams also must expose a minimum of four players (two forwards, one defenseman, one goalie) who meet the games-played and contractual requirement.

I looked at four teams that will likely have to make some decisions, both in terms of where things stand today as well as what may have to happen before the expansion draft takes place. Keep in mind that there will be lots of moving parts between today and next June. But let's have some fun with this now:

Anaheim Ducks

The Ducks are a team that many rival executives point to as having to make some real interesting decisions before the expansion draft. That's a compliment, in part, because it means Anaheim has drafted and developed players so well that it just can't keep everyone.

Four Ducks have full no-move clauses that must be protected: Ryan GetzlafCorey PerryRyan Kesler and Kevin Bieksa. Bieksa's could be an issue. I think the Ducks are going to need to do something with him in order to protect all the defensemen they want for the expansion draft.

If Anaheim decides to put eight skaters and a goalie on its protection list, I think that list would look like this: Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Rickard RakellHampus LindholmSami VatanenCam FowlerJosh Manson and John Gibson. (Promising young defensemen Shea Theodore and Brandon Montour are exempt from the expansion draft because they are second-year players on entry-level contracts.)

First, the 4-4-1 list I picked would mean the Ducks found a way to get Bieksa to waive his no-move for a trade or simply to expose himself in the expansion draft. The other option would be to buy out Bieksa, who has one more year left on his deal, at $4 million next season. (Some league executives weren't sure if buyouts would be allowed before the expansion draft, but a league source confirmed on Monday that they would be. So that could be potentially interesting on several fronts.)

There's also the Fowler factor. The top-four blue-liner will be one year away from unrestricted free agent status. If the Ducks can't sign him to an extension, I wonder if they won't once again listen to trade offers on him after the season. That would either allow Bieksa to be kept on board in Anaheim or for the Ducks to go 7-3-1 on their protection list.

Going with the 4-4-1 plan would mean that good forwards like Jakob Silfverberg and Andrew Cogliano are among those left exposed for Vegas.

But again, so much can change in the next several months. No matter how you spin it, the Ducks have some juggling to do between now and next June.

^^ The 4-4-1 plan makes no sense for this team. Silfverberg and Cogliano are far more important to us than a guy like Manson IMO. Barring major changes before the trade deadline, I see only two possible scenarios playing out: (1) Fowler gets traded for a forward and we go 7-3-1 with 42, 45, and 47 as our protected D-men, or (2) Manson gets exposed and we protect 4, 45, 47. Personally, I hope it's the latter.

Either way, we're going with the 7-3-1 plan and BM is going to figure a way around Bieksa's NMC. That I'm sure of.

54 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

^^ The 4-4-1 plan makes no sense for this team. Silfverberg and Cogliano are far more important to us than a guy like Manson IMO. Barring major changes before the trade deadline, I see only two possible scenarios playing out: (1) Fowler gets traded for a forward and we go 7-3-1 with 42, 45, and 47 as our protected D-men, or (2) Manson gets exposed and we protect 4, 45, 47. Personally, I hope it's the latter.

Either way, we're going with the 7-3-1 plan and BM is going to figure a way around Bieksa's NMC. That I'm sure of.

I have to agree. Assuming Bieksa is bought out, the question is basically this: would we rather lose Manson or would we rather lose Silf/Cogs? Considering our defensive depth I would rather lose a defenseman, even though I think Manson has been playing good hockey this year. We need to go the 7-3-1 route. Like most teams, we are going to lose a decent NHL player, that's just the reality of the situation. Vegas isn't going to take Boll or Stoner off our hands.

Sami has had a rough start to the season and with Stoner out indefinitely, I'm not sure his play will improve. I don't know if he feels protected by Stoner (stay at home D) or he's just comfortable. Would BM consider moving him if he knows he can sign Fowler for the same money?

On 11/17/2016 at 11:23 AM, dtsdlaw said:

Can someone with insider access please provide some details on this article?

http://www.espn.com/blog/craig-custance/insider/post?id=8405

I'm curious to know how Custance thinks the expansion draft is going to change the trade deadline.

TORONTO -- The NHL’s general managers got the clarity they were looking for. The major rules of the expansion draft have been well established.

It’s the nuances that were the topic of conversation.

The league made it clear that teams looking for loopholes during the free-agent period before the expansion draft could be hit with significant penalties if any rules are broken.

The NHL and NHLPA also finalized its list of players that will require automatic protection in the expansion draft because of a no-movement clause. According to colleague Pierre LeBrun, that list is around 65 to 70 players deep.

There are still concerns among the general managers, such as whether or not there will be tampering through Las Vegas, as GM George McPhee gets an early crack at free agents and their asking price. But when aren’t there concerns about tampering?

Now, armed with as much information as they’re going to get, GMs can truly finalize an expansion game plan between now and when their list is due on June 17.

The advanced planning adds a layer of intrigue to midseason trades. The trade deadline is already an active time, and now you can’t help but wonder if it will be more active as teams try to get ahead of the expansion draft or move players they are concerned they might lose for nothing anyway.

Right now, GMs seem split on how much trade activity there will be before the deadline, just to prepare for the expansion draft.

“I think there’s probably going to be a lot of talk,” said Avalanche GM Joe Sakic. "Whether stuff happens before the trade deadline, who knows? Before the expansion draft, you’ll see some moves.”

That’s a certainty. There will be scrambling after the season, but by then it might cost more to get compliant for the expansion draft if you’ve waited too long.

“You don’t want to be chasing it at the end, where I don’t want to have to give up a third-round pick so I have a goalie for expansion purposes,” said Flames GM Brad Treliving.

So Treliving is in the camp that believes managers will be aggressive in getting deals done to be expansion draft-compliant, including trades during this season.

“I think there will be, yeah. There will be some of that,” Treliving said. “If you look around, there’s already been specific signings with expansion in mind. You look at two-year deals -- OK, the real reason for it [is expansion]."

Devils GM Ray Shero isn’t quite as convinced there will be any additional deadline-day activity because of expansion.

“I think it’s going to be after the season,” Shero said. “At [the deadline], you’ve got the buyers and sellers; it’s pretty clear-cut. Don’t hold me to it, [but] that stuff will take place afterward. Trades are still allowed after the deadline; the guy just can’t play. We’ll see how it goes.”

The Minnesota Wild are often used as an example of a team that might benefit from a pre-expansion draft trade simply because their depth means they will lose a useful player.

If the Wild only protect three defensemen, for example, a good defenseman is going to shake loose. Complicating things further are no-movement clauses upfront for players like Zach PariseMikko Koivu and Jason Pominville.

The problem is that the Wild are trying to win games right now. GM Chuck Fletcher doesn’t appear to have any appetite to weaken the team in the short term to lower his exposure long term.

“I would hate to make our team less competitive this year to try and potentially clear up any issues in the expansion draft. I think there will be time at the end of the year to hopefully address something if it’s truly out of whack,” Fletcher said. “We’ll be able to protect a lot of key guys, but we’ll make guys available. I’m not losing sleep over it.”

A couple of general managers mentioned that the position most likely to be attacked early is in goal. We’ve spent a lot of time looking at teams such as Pittsburgh, with two starting goalies, to figure out what those GMs might do. The bigger issue is teams that might not have any goalies to expose, rather than too many.

One GM estimated that at least seven or eight teams will need to add a goalie with term on their contract before the expansion draft, just to be able to expose one.

If goaltending ends up being the position that trips teams up the most, and general managers seem to think that may be the case, it makes you wonder how many of the two-year deals given to goalies in the offseason were made specifically with the expansion draft in mind.

Goalies like Boston’s Anton Khudobin, Calgary’s Tom McCollum, Carolina’s Cam Ward, Colorado’s Calvin Pickard, San Jose’s Aaron Dell and St. Louis’ Carter Hutton all got two-year deals in the offseason that might have been motivated by making sure the signing team had a goalie under contract to expose.

It’s smart planning, because the penalty for not being compliant for the expansion draft is severe. If a team doesn’t make a goalie available, the penalty is the loss of a first-round pick along with a player from the available list, according to an NHL source.

That’s a steep price to pay for not being prepared. The more planning general managers can do now, the better.

Thanks, Z. That sure makes it sound like we're going to see some significant trades in April and May as teams get eliminated from the playoffs.

Anaheim is one of the teams that will need to add a goaltender. Gibson is the only goalie we have signed through next season.

2 hours ago, nieder said:

Anaheim is one of the teams that will need to add a goaltender. Gibson is the only goalie we have signed through next season.

Rather than adding one, can we just extend one of Tokarski, Hackett, or Boyle?

27 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Vegas Golden Knights

Cx6cHkQXEAA57Ag.jpg

Color scheme seems a little dreary considering its Vegas, no?

6 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Color scheme seems a little dreary considering its Vegas, no?

Trying to figure out if that's steel gray or a shade of blue. But the hat Foley is wearing, it looks silver.