Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Southbayduck

Bruce Boudreau To Coach Minnesota Wild

81 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, WolfgangDuck said:

We will look back one day and lament that we let Boudreau go.  

I'm already there. 

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, WolfgangDuck said:

We will look back one day and lament that we let Boudreau go.  

I was lamenting the same day he was fired...!

2 people like this

What sucks for Bruce is that the Wild are overachieving somewhat, and that will eventually set some unrealistic expectations for the team entering the playoffs if they keep this up. And when they get exposed in a 7 game series, which almost always inevitably happens to teams that overachieved in the reg season, everyone will point at Bruce and see it as confirmation of his inability to coach in the postseason. 

I won't lament Bruce being let go though, I feel like this should have happened after the Hawks series. The issue wasn't that they moved on from Bruce, it was who they replaced him with. Tbf though, the options this summer were pretty brutal.

4 people like this

12 minutes ago, AustinDuck27 said:

What sucks for Bruce is that the Wild are overachieving somewhat, and that will eventually set some unrealistic expectations for the team entering the playoffs if they keep this up. And when they get exposed in a 7 game series, which almost always inevitably happens to teams that overachieved in the reg season, everyone will point at Bruce and see it as confirmation of his inability to coach in the postseason. 

I won't lament Bruce being let go though, I feel like this should have happened after the Hawks series. The issue wasn't that they moved on from Bruce, it was who they replaced him with. Tbf though, the options this summer were pretty brutal.

The difference is that Minnesota in a sense also has a window. I think their owners and gm will be more happy to spend or deal players away based on success and seeing how BB can benefit them and learn from his previous teams. 

But they still don't have an elite centreman but have fair depth. But another top 6 forward, a depth winger/center in a rental defender and they have a chance to make it out of the second round. But they'd have to throw away some picks that I don't think they can afford to but who knows, the wild haven't made it past the second round since their inception (from memory) and maybe they want to start to be taken seriously.

Maybe after BB's previous success and shortfalls maybe the gm sits down and asks him what he needs rather than giving him players to work with?

Regardless of my opinion, I'm glad he's doing well. And I completely agree with your post btw 

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, AustinDuck27 said:

Particularly given that Murray seems unwilling to take a risk in selecting a bench boss. Reduced the options even further. Sure, an NES is still fun, but that was when gaming systems were still described in terms of their microprocessors. 

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, AustinDuck27 said:

Are they overachieving? That team is pretty good.  On paper they're at least as good as our 2014-15 team, which I still believe was a triple-OT loss from advancing to the Cup finals in five games. And while their top- end forward talent may not be as good as ours was that season, they do have a legit #1 D-man and a 1A goalie, which none of our overachievers ever had.

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Are they overachieving? That team is pretty good.  On paper they're at least as good as our 2014-15 team, which I still believe was a triple-OT loss from advancing to the Cup finals in five games. And while their top- end forward talent may not be as good as ours was that season, they do have a legit #1 D-man and a 1A goalie, which none of our overachievers ever had.

I think so. I'm just not sold on that roster, there's nothing there that screams a big step forward compared to all the other 'meh' years where better teams knocked them out of the playoffs. Bruce is darn near elite at getting the most out of his teams in the regular season, even when the underlying numbers point to overachieving and expected regression. He seems to laugh in the face of that, which we know first-hand. Though, looking back I have to wonder if those underlying signs play into the playoff performances.

Looking a bit further, the Wild are riding the leagues hottest PDO (just ahead of Columbus, another team riding a similar hot streak), 4th highest S% (behind Columbus), and the league's hottest goalie (just like Bobrovsky on... you guessed it... Columbus). They are top ten in shots against and bottom ten in shots for, which to me highlights how they are leaning on Dub, if/when his play comes down to earth at all, and their S%-puck luck comes down a little, I think we'll see a pretty average team. That's not to say that they can't make some noise in the playoffs, the West has become a pretty level playing field, but I do feel that they are playing a little over their heads right now, even if only slightly.

2 hours ago, AustinDuck27 said:

I think so. I'm just not sold on that roster, there's nothing there that screams a big step forward compared to all the other 'meh' years where better teams knocked them out of the playoffs. Bruce is darn near elite at getting the most out of his teams in the regular season, even when the underlying numbers point to overachieving and expected regression. He seems to laugh in the face of that, which we know first-hand. Though, looking back I have to wonder if those underlying signs play into the playoff performances.

Looking a bit further, the Wild are riding the leagues hottest PDO (just ahead of Columbus, another team riding a similar hot streak), 4th highest S% (behind Columbus), and the league's hottest goalie (just like Bobrovsky on... you guessed it... Columbus). They are top ten in shots against and bottom ten in shots for, which to me highlights how they are leaning on Dub, if/when his play comes down to earth at all, and their S%-puck luck comes down a little, I think we'll see a pretty average team. That's not to say that they can't make some noise in the playoffs, the West has become a pretty level playing field, but I do feel that they are playing a little over their heads right now, even if only slightly.

I think adding Eric Staal screams "big step forward" for them the same way adding Kesler did for us. You can do a lot worse than Staal-Koivu as your 1-2 punch down the middle. And they did during those meh years.

1 person likes this

43 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I think adding Eric Staal screams "big step forward" for them the same way adding Kesler did for us. You can do a lot worse than Staal-Koivu as your 1-2 punch down the middle. And they did during those meh years.

I'd also like to add to this that their continuity should really help them to meet expectations. Just glancing at their roster, 8 of their top-9 forwards have been with the team for at least four seasons, with the only exception being Eric Staal. That's remarkable in the era of free agency.

To me, their season so far is a sign of all the pieces finally falling into place, rather than one of simply catching lightning in a bottle.

1 person likes this

^^^ I guess we'll have to see how it pans out for the Wild. Again, I think it's an average (arguably a little above average) team riding a little bit of luck in a few areas and a standout performance or two. They do have a lot of good things going for them so far this season, and like I said, the west is wide open so it's not like a deep run would be a huge shock. But they are winning at an elite clip, they will come down to earth at some point. 

I will say though, they are a fun team to watch, which is new, and something I really miss the most about Boudreau. As frustrating as the playoffs were, his teams are always edge-of-your-seat entertaining. Even when he went for more of a defensive style, it always seemed the team was buzzing. That creates the never-say-die attitude that  makes his teams feel like they are never out of a game, and serves them well in the regular season. Not sure why that seems to evaporate in the playoffs though. Shorter benches maybe? Less line rolling... less buzzing? I dunno.

Damn, I supported Bruce's firing, but Randy's making me miss him pretty hard so far.

1 person likes this

What was I saying about the Wild (and Jackets) overachieving early on? (self back pat)

Didn't open this thread again for that, I just find it interesting that the Ducks under Carlyle are only a point behind the Wild with 103 and 104 points respectively (through 81 games). Pretty astounding given the gap between them during the first half.

Can't wait to see what happens in the playoffs. 

2 people like this

Would be nice if Mumpessota lose tonight, Ducks could finish second in the West. 

I think the Wild go down in round 1... in game 7.......on home ice. 

Edited by liquid13

On 4/9/2017 at 9:34 PM, liquid13 said:

I think the Wild go down in round 1... in game 7.......on home ice. 

GOOD BET !!

GO DUCKS !!!!

PUT OUT THE FLAMES !!!!

BB and Minn down 3 - 0. Doubt that there will be a game 7. Really sad - I liked Bruce - just seems like he has a problem in the PO's

At least if he gets swept, he won't have to lose another game 7.

2 people like this

At this point, I think he's being stubborn about his perceived system for playoff hockey. He needs to adjust, and it's him, not his lines. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

At this point, I think he's being stubborn about his perceived system for playoff hockey. He needs to adjust, and it's him, not his lines. 

Agree 100% It makes the Ducks decision that much more correct. IMHO

1 person likes this

Bruce's interview didn't go well. Can't remember him being that red after the reporter asked him if he thought they were  "the better team " .....:angry:

Bruce is like an artist who sells Millions of records, and has been nominated for Grammy's year after year, but never wins.

He's the Susan Lucci of hockey.  So cheer up Bruce, even Susan won on her 19th nomination.  This was Bruce's 9th playoff appearance loss.

Even though I was passively supporting RC with my "let's see what he can do in the playoffs first" mantra all year, I feel very bad for Bruce. He we was given a turd Mumpesota roster and they fizzled out after overachieving for a spell. He deserves more. Like an Anaheim Ducks roster. But that ship has sailed, I guess. Oh, tomatohead, we gonna miss you a little that's for sure.

2 people like this