The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

duck123

Max Jones-Could Potentially Be A Steal Of The Draft

From all I've read about him, Max Jones seems like he's not too far away from playing in the NHL.  One column had hoped Detroit would be able to draft him.  He has speed, skill, and a great shot.  Who knows. He may even compete for a roster spot this season.  You never know.  Carlyle picked Fowler to make the team the year he was drafted.  Will he do the same for Max?  Time will tell. 

I do think it's pretty cool that we have two players now, in Max Jones and Nick Ritchie, who play very similar styles.  They both are power forwards who have speed, skill, and grit.  With players like them in our farm system, the Ducks should be good for years. 

Will be neat to see how long it takes a player like Jones to make it to the NHL. But one thing's for sure-definitely is a great find to get somebody as talented as Jones with the 24th pick.  Not bad at all. 

Here are some links, if you want a little more info about this player:

http://thehockeywriters.com/max-jones-features-offense-work-ethic/

https://www.nhl.com/news/max-jones-london-knights-2016-nhl-draft/c-278919336

Can he beat out Ritchie for that #1 LW position out of camp, you think? Or do they both lose out to Antoine?

I'm guessing the kid could (could) slot in a fourth line spot right away because of the size and speed (as DSP did, well before he had brought the rest of his game up to the NHL level). I imagine he'll take Garbutt's spot in 2017-2018 when Garbutt moves on. If he shows a knack for scoring on the bottom lines once he's with the NHL club, maybe he gets a Kunitz/Moen forechecking role on one of the top two lines.

It won't be the end of the world if he doesn't play with the NHL club next year, but it could be done, just don't expect a ton of goals right off the bat.

Really pleased about drafting him. As the article said he probably needs to work on his etiquette - AND FORTUNATELY he will have an excellent mentor - someone that was on the London Knights - Cory Perry ( and of course Getz ). Cory can teach him the refinements of playing around the net i.e. saying  PLEASE and THANK YOU and EXCUSE ME, and " would you to like me to pick up your STICK  or MASK  - and perhaps your TEETH ". I nice addition if he lives up to his billing. IMHO

Thanks for the post Duck123.   B)

Love Jones already. With his size and style I think he challenges for a spot next to Rakell or impresses enough to go to the Gulls.

I really think Randy had a say in this.

Maybe someone gets flipped for a 2Nd since we don't have one? No doubt BM is wanting a defender in the next round and a goalie in the 3rd?

Or the 3rd gets dumped with Stoner and then Cogliano, Despres gets exchanged for picks?

Just spitballing don't hef to be mad!

Here was what one analyst thought of Jones:

"He's got God-given skill to get by even if he's fighting through bouts with inconsistency, but this power forward can be the most dangerous player from start to finish." – Steve Kournianos

I will say this.  I think spending the year in the OHL would be great for Max Jones's game.

Would it be great to have a first round pick make the team right away?  Yes.  But Jones scored 28 goals last season playing on his team's second line, and not getting power play time.  It might help his game even more to play a full season hopefully on his team's top line, and hopefully on the first power play unit.  With Nick Ritchie playing a very similar game, might be best to give Ritchie a chance with the big club this season, with Jones hopefully making the team next season, or the season after.

It's nice to see that our team is doing a great job at what Detroit has done for years.  Continue to draft great prospects, who continue to develop into great NHL players. 

Let's go Ducks!

Love Jones already. With his size and style I think he challenges for a spot next to Rakell or impresses enough to go to the Gulls.

I really think Randy had a say in this.

He's a CHL kid so he either makes the NHL team out of camp or he goes back to the London Knights for a final season. He can't play for the Gulls until next season, due to his CHL contract.

He's a CHL kid so he either makes the NHL team out of camp or he goes back to the London Knights for a final season. He can't play for the Gulls until next season, due to his CHL contract.

Beat me to it. He'll likely be back with the Knights next season, and playing a much bigger role with teammates Tkachuk, Marner, and Dvorak all candidates to make the jump next season.

You're right. I seem to have a short memory. I forgot SP and Ritchie played a season on juniors after their draft year. Cheers for the refresh

@kyleshohara Found this highlight reel of #NHLDucks draft pick Max Jones. Speed, strength, and snarl. youtu.be/LszkPj3fjcc

Unless Ritchie drops some baby fat, Jones may make it to the NHL before him.

The only thing that concerns me with Jones, is he seems to have a bit of Etem in his game.

The only thing that concerns me with Jones, is he seems to have a bit of Etem in his game.

The tunnel vision? Yeah, a little, from the clips I've seen. Softer hands around the net though imo.

The tunnel vision? Yeah, a little, from the clips I've seen. Softer hands around the net though imo.

He does, but still, it's a concern.  

I expect that he'll be in the lineup by the third year... Garbutt's contract will be up by then. Mind you, if Jones lights it up with his team this year and/or next, maybe the Ducks trade Garbutt before that and plug him in.

NEWS: @SDGullsAHL have signed forward Max Jones to an ATO. Jones was drafted 24th overall by ANA in 2016.

DUCKS ASSIGN 2016 FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK MAX JONES TO SAN DIEGO

April 22, 2017

The Gulls announced today that the Anaheim Ducks have assigned left wing Max Jones to San Diego, Anaheim’s primary development affiliate in the American Hockey League (AHL). 

Jones, 19 (2/17/98), selected by Anaheim in the first round (24th overall) of the 2016 NHL Draft, collected 17-19=36 points with 65 penalty minutes (PIM) and a +23 rating in 33 games during his second season with the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL). Jones also scored 7-5=12 points with 24 PIM and a +4 rating in 14 playoff games with London. The 6-3, 203 pound native of Rochester, Mich. helped lead London to Memorial Cup and OHL championships in 2016, collecting 1-1=2 points with 23 PIM in six playoff games. Jones appeared in his rookie OHL season in 2015-16, scoring 28-24=52 points with a +30 rating in 63 games with London. Jones earned 45-43=88 points with 171 PIM and a +53 rating in 96 career OHL games with the Knights.